Team Building For OU

Usage means very little in my eyes, Landorus-I was 26th in usage stats for July before it got suspect tested and ultimately banned to Ubers. Also, I find nothing wrong with me saying that it's un-counterable because it is, even Smogon says it on the official overview. I did add some checks to my original post though as those do exist.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Usage means very little in my eyes, Landorus-I was 26th in usage stats for July before it got suspect tested and ultimately banned to Ubers. Also, I find nothing wrong with me saying that it's un-counterable because it is, even Smogon says it on the official overview. I did add some checks to my original post though as those do exist.
There's nothing wrong with stating its un counter-able, but when you don't list any way to deal with it, then something needs to be changed. Also usage doesn't mean good you're right, but there is a correlation between being good and usage.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Well, Hydreigon isn't really "un-counterable", as it does have a variety of checks. While its amazing coverage allows it for many opportunities for prediction and mind-games with your opponent, its lower speed and weakness to priority results in a variety of checks. Breloom, Mamoswine, even Choice Band Scizor can all revenge it. And due to the prevalence of fighting moves in this metagame Hydreigon is always in danger, its lower speed usually gives it a large dis-advantage against offense teams and sometimes it can literally result in it doing really nothing at all. It has a lot of checks, and after you fire off a Draco Meteor you lose that un-counterable factor. My personal favorite Hydreigon set is Sub + 3 attacks, as you still pack a punch and are almost guaranteed a KO.

There's nothing wrong with stating its un counter-able, but when you don't list any way to deal with it, then something needs to be changed. Also usage doesn't mean good you're right, but there is a correlation between being good and usage.
I find that usage has a correlation more with being standard and known rather then good for example Heatran while good, isn't all that great imo yet it was 5th in the usage stats. I did add ways to deal with Hydreigon though as you are correct there.

Well, Hydreigon isn't really "un-counterable", as it does have a variety of checks.
There's a difference between a check and a counter, if you check now though I have added some checks to Hydreigon.

When you are building, you are often put in a situation where you have the choice between Hydreigon, who is a good wallbreaker but totally destroyed by priorities and a really bad bug / fight weakness, and Lati@s / Dragonite who have both a much better defensive typing, they destroy suns teams, and they both check Keldeo reasonnably well which is one hell of a big deal in this metagame, so yeah, Hydreigon is a bit of a 3rd wheel dragon who is kinda hard to incorporate in your building without adding things to your Threat list.

Support/Wallbreaker/Revenge Killer (Place wherever you see fit!)

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire] / Signal Beam
- Trick

What it does: Gothitelle is a unique Pokemon. It has a very game-changing ability- Shadow Tag. This well than makes up for it's rather poor base stat total of 490. The beauty of Gothitelle is that it is very adaptable, and by shifting the third move, you can help it target specific foes and completely destroy them, to aid your win condition. The role of Gothitelle on pretty much any team is to support your main sweeper by trapping any pokemon that will prevent a sweep, then KO them. The main reason to use it over another trapper, like Dugtrio, is the advantage of universal trapping, which is invaluable when defeating foes like the Lati@s twins, and it threatens the special side of the spectrum, rather than the physical side (ignoring Psyshock of course). In addition it constantly puts pressure on your opponent, as one misplay can cost them a crucial pokemon, and often the game.

Good Teammates: The best teammates for Gothitelle depend completely on the third move. I have been using it to support a Double Dance Landorus-Therian. However it can pretty much clear the way for any sweeper you want. There isn't really a specific pokemon or group of pokemon that benefit- EVERY pokemon enjoys trapper support. However in addition to sweepers/win conditions, hazard setters enjoy it, as Gothitelle can beat out many spinners, especially with hidden power fire (starmie, forretress, tentacruel).

What Counters It:
It doesn't have many counters, however it can be checked by escape moves (U-turn, Volt Switch, Baton Pass), or Shed Shells. U-Turn in particular is problematic as it can decimate Gothitelle because of it's super effective nature. Finally once you know the third move, you can counter it with the right pokemon. Heatran and Tyranitar are pretty great checks, and most steel types beat non Hidden Power Fire sets. Overall Gothitelle is frail enough not to warrant a counter, just a few attacks from any source will bring it down.

Role: Support

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Toxic
- Protect / Ice Beam

What it does: If you want permanent rain on your team, well, then this is literally the only Pokemon to do it in OU. This defensive Politoed set is set is tailor made for more defensive teams, allowing it to stick around much longer, aiding in winning the weather war. Politoed, outside of Drizzle, isn't a complete slouch for supporting, it has access to key moves such as Perish Song, which prevent it from being set up bait and winning last Pokemon situations. The general idea of this Politoed is to stick around as long as it can, while also chipping and crippling the opponents team with Scald and Toxic, burning or poisoning the opponent.

Good Teammates: Tentacruel is the number one teammate, Tentacruel gains Rain Dish recovery thanks to Politoed, making Tentacruel a pain to take out, and it and Polteod almost inseparable. Toxicroak requires Drizzle support to be effective. Defensively, steel types like Jirachi, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, enjoy Drizzle to weaken Fire-type attacks, making them even better walls. Ferrothorn in particular is a great partner, taking Electric-type attacks for Politoed and setting up hazards, Jirachi appreciates Drizzle which gives it free reign to use Thunder. Chansey is decent teammate, it appreciates Politoed keeping Sand and Hail off the field, to not be worn down as easily, as well as Perish Song for Pokemon like CM-Reuniclus. In return she can take opposing Grass and Electric-type moves, and support Politoed with Aromatherapy or Wish. Offensively, Pokemon like Keldeo and Gyarados appreciate Drizzle support to increase the power of its Water-type moves, Tornadus requires it to use Hurricane. A variety of Electric type Pokemon and special attackers appreciate Drizzle to use Thunder.

Additional Information: Protect allows Politoed to stall out for burn and poison damage, while recovering HP with Leftovers. Ice Beam on the other hand allows Politoed to hit on the switch or check Dragon types, Gliscor, and Landorus-T. A specially defensive version is an option if you need it to take strong special hits. Encore is an interesting option over Perish Song, locking opposing Pokemon into their move, potentially shutting down the opponent. Refresh is an option for Politoed to clear its self of status, enabling it to stick around longer. Finally, Hypnosis can be used to score sleep, but is generally an inferior option due to its low accuracy.

What counters it: Pokemon with Natural Cure are the best counters, like Blissey, Chansey, Celebi, Roserade, and Starmie, easily taking all of its moves. This Politoed can't touch Toxicroak and Reuniclus outside of Perish Song or Encore. Abomasnow and Ninetales can switch in on this Politoed rather easily and change the weather, however, neither appreciate being poisoned. Ferrothorn and Tentacruel are decent checks, they do not enjoy being burned by Scald though. A whole host of Pokemon, with decent special defense or Water-type immunity / resist. like Jellicent, Rotom-W, Keldeo, or Latias can switch in relatively safely, again though, they dislike being poisoned. Lum-Berry Dragonite and Gyarados can switch in relatively well, outside of Ice Beam of course for Dragonite. Raw power from Electric-types or a variety of Choice Band users like Terrakion can dispatch Politoed to check it. Choice Specs Gothitelle can trap and kill Politoed with Thunderbolt.

Last edited:
In in the spirit of Shark Week. I present:

Garchomp @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance / Fire Blast

Role: Hazards Settler / Wallbreaker

What it does: The threatening nature of Garchomp being able to get up Stealth Rock isn't an issue. It's going to force a lot of switches when it sent in and this allows you to get up the Stealth Rock as they send a check since its commonly used for sweeping and wallbreaking purposes. Garchomp is also able to beat the majority of spinners barring Starmie with Ice Beam. Using Fire Blast will beat any Steel type that would come in to either tank a hit. Sash is generally chosen for lead purpose to get up Rocks and dent the opposing team. While Life Orb isn't as effective a lead but you can come in to revenge something, get up Rocks. Using Swords Dance over Fire Blast makes this a part time sweeper.

Good Teammates: If you have SD and LO you should have a way to beat Latias, Latios and Starmie so Tyranitar works great for that role. Beating Mamoswine is a must for Chomp for roam free so Terrakion, Scizor, Keldeo are worthy of this role. Lastly if you don't have Fire Blast you need to beat Skarmory and Ferrothorn and Magnezone is capable of beating both.

What counters it: Hm. Not many things "counter" Garchomp but there are plently of things that check it and make life for somewhat troublesome. First off, Mamoswine. All dragons hate Mamoswine and Chomp is no different. Mamoswine can pretty much full on stop Chomp if it makes the mistake of locking its self into Outrage while Mamo waits in the wings. Next thing would be faster Dragons like Latios and Latias who can threaten it with Draco Meteor. Physically Defensive Skarmory gives Chomp issues as it can't easily break through it if you lack Fire Blast. Lastly Starmie as its always faster and Ice Beam is pretty common for it to carry.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Speaking of Shark Week....

( Wallbreaker )

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 148 Atk / 252 SAtk / 108 Spe
Rash Nature (+SpA, -SpD)
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Yes, my nomination is going to be mixed Sharpedo. This guy is absolutely fantastic, with excellent mixed attacking stats, ( Base 120 attack & base 95 Special Attack ) in conjunction with an above average speed stat bolstered by Speed Boost, it's only natural that this guy works fantastically for a mixed wallbreaker capable of breaking through several walls in OU. Keep in note, you only need 2 boosts with the given EV spread in order to outspeed the entire OU meta.

Good Teammates: Entry hazard support is vital to Sharpedo's success, as it needs to grab some important KOs on several threats, so Pokémon that can lay Stealth Rock, such as Forretress & especially Custap Berry Skarmory ( On Offensive teams ) are absolutely phenomenal partners for the blue shark. Hazards put a hamper on Sharpedos day, so Rapid Spin support from the likes of that aftermentioned Forretress is recommended.

What Counters It: Due to its blistering, blinding speed, relying on speed to beat this guy is an absolute joke. The closest thing you can come to a counter is Gyarados, that has Intimidate to wear down his physical attacks, as well as some solid Special Defense to take it's weak special attacks. If Gyarados isn't to your liking, priority users, most notably users of Mach Punch, such as Conkeldurr, Breloom & others make for great checks to the blue shark.

Last edited:
The adamant variant with Zen headbutt is way better imo, hp fire is a total waste against every ferrothorn / skarmory / scizor under the waste and Keldeo walls the heck out of you

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The adamant variant with Zen headbutt is way better imo, hp fire is a total waste against every ferrothorn / skarmory / scizor under the waste and Keldeo walls the heck out of you
The Physical variant is more of a late game sweeper, but the set that Dr. Ciel listed above is more of a wall breaker. They fill almost two completely different roles. The Mixed variant is meant to break down the opponents physical walls such as Forretress, Skarmory, and Jellicent so another Pokemon like Terrakion or Toxicroak for example can sweep. The physical variant just outright sweeps.

OK, so this is a fairly new set:

Meloetta@Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk/252 SpA/200 Spe
Ability: Serene Grace
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Relic Song
- Thunder
- U-Turn

Role: Mixed Attacker
What it does: Primarily, glue the offensive core of a team as a mixed attacker as well as surprise the opponent. Relic Song turns most switch-ins to Meloetta into set-up bait, while a fast U-Turn off a 128 Base speed helps beat out the Psychic-types coming into to Meloetta-P. By forcing switches, it can easily switch form and devastate unprepared teams

Good teammates: Firstly, Hydreigon forms a brilliant offensive core with Meloetta, as Psychic, Fighting, Dark and Dragon STABs are all present. Politoed is also a good idea for Thunder(100% accuracy) as with Serene Grace Meloetta can easily cripple in switch ins who think Meloetta will Relic Song. Mamoswine aids in removing the ground-types such as Landorus-T, Gliscor and Garchomp that threaten to wall this set otherwise.

What counters it: Firstly, good prediction. Predicting when Meloetta changes formed can be used to take advantage and set-up on the right form, although CB Scizor Bullet Punch can 2HKO either way.

Most neutral hits, such as Garchomp's Earthquake or Keldeo's rain-boosted Hydro Pumps can get past Meloetta. While it's special defense is very high, it doesn't really do well uninvested.

Last edited:
Relic Song in combination with U-Turn seems a bit counterproductive, I would rather use HP Ice to get past things like Lando-T or Gliscor.

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
OK, so this is a fairly new set:

Meloetta@Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk/252 SpA/200 Spe
Ability: Serene Grace
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Relic Song
- Thunder
- U-Turn

Role: Mixed Attacker
What it does: Primarily, glue the offensive core of a team as a mixed attacker as well as surprise the opponent. Relic Song turns most switch-ins to Meloetta into set-up bait, while a fast U-Turn off a 128 Base speed helps beat out the Psychic-types coming into to Meloetta-P. By forcing switches, it can easily switch form and devastate unprepared teams

Good teammates: Firstly, Hydreigon forms a brilliant offensive core with Meloetta, as Psychic, Fighting, Dark and Dragon STABs are all present. Politoed is also a good idea for Thunder(100% accuracy) as with Serene Grace Meloetta can easily cripple in switch ins who think Meloetta will Relic Song.

What counters it: Good prediction. Predicting when Meloetta changes formed can be used to take advantage and set-up on the right form, although CB Scizor Bullet Punch can 2HKO either way.
Pretty cool set vyomov, but I think your list of counters is a bit short. I'd say that it can't take strong neutral physical attacks, like Garchomp's Earthquake, Dragonite's Outrage, and Scizor's U-turn. This set by the looks of it can't touch Ground types, like Garchomp, Hippodown, and Landorus-T. Also, while it does have a base 128 SpDef, it just isn't that bulky when its uninvested, so strong special attacks like Keldeo in the rain and Specs Latios can take care of Meloetta moderately well.

Relic Song in combination with U-Turn seems a bit counterproductive, I would rather use HP Ice to get past things like Lando-T or Gliscor.
It does, but the thing is that Celebi is THE number one switch in to Meloetta on the relic song and in pirouette forme, Meloetta-P does peanuts with HP Ice and has to switch anyways.
With U-Turn, the set beats Meloetta's number one counter.
However, I COMPLETELY agree that Meloetta sorely misses HP Ice :)
To combat that, I'm adding Mamoswine to the support list, as it takes care of the ground-types Meloetta dislikes

Edit: ShootingStarmie, thanks for feedback, put that into the set

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
I just posted this set in the lower tier threats thread, so I'm gonna post it here too since it's solid imo.

(Physical Wall / Support)

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leech Seed

Tangrowth is ridiculously bulky on the physical side. Base 100 HP and base 125 def make this thing nearly impossible to break down on the physical side. It's one of the few counters to top physical power houses, like Banded Terrakion, Banded Tyranitar, and Dragon Dance Dragonite. Not even Skarmory can claim to counter these Pokemon. Tangrowth is no slouch offensively either, as it has a very respectable base 110 special attack, allowing it to not be set up bait for Sweepers. Tangrowth also has pretty reliable recovery in the form of Regenerator, so it's not like you can even wear Tangrowth down. The given EVs allow Tangrowth to tank just about any physical attack.

Sleep Powder offers great utility, as it basically makes one Pokemon useless for the rest of the game on your opponents side. Giga Drain is STAB, and hits pretty nicely on Water types like Politoed and Rotom-W. It also offers some recovery, which can be nice is some situations. HP Ice offers the best coverage for Tangrowth, as it hits Dragonite, Salamence, and Landorus-T, all threats that Tangrowth will be switching into. Leech Seed offers even more recovery, as well as forcing a lot of switches, racking up residual damage.

Good teammates: Since Tangrowth is kinda frail on the special side, I recommend Special Walls that Tangrowth just can't handle. Jirachi is a great choice, as Jirachi has great typing and bulk which allows it to switch into the hardest hitting special attacks, like Specs Latios, Gengar, and Tornadus. Jirachi also offers decent synergy in that it resists Ice and Flying, while Tangrowth resists Ground type attacks, letting it easily switch into threats such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Hippowdon, all common counters to Jirachi. Be aware that they both do share a Fire weakness. Rotom-W is also a pretty nice partner, as it can also tank a few special attacks like Tornadus' Hurricane, and Keldeo's HP Bug / Ice, while Tangrowth can easily switch into Grass type attacks aimed at Rotom-W. Slowking is a great partner for Tangrowth, as it has a solid Special Defence, as well as Regenerator to keep it around nice and healthy. The idea is that Slowking switches into special attacks, while Tangrowth switches into physical attacks.

What counters Tangrowth: Steel types. Steel types such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Heatran can all force Tangrowth out, or start setting up in it's face. Ferrothorn is even immune to Leech Seed, making it a solid switch into Tangrowth. Strong special attackers like Volcarona, Latios and Heatran can easily beat Tangrowth. Bulky set up sweepers like CM Latias, CM Reuniclus, and CM Jirachi can all use Tangrowth as set up bait, and Tangrowth can't do anything to stop this from happening. Status also really hinders Tangrowth's walling abilities. Toxic from Heatran, Politoed, or Toxic Spikes from Tentacruel or Roserade really can stop Tangrowth from walling for too long, while a Burn on Tangrowth slowly chips away at it's health, forcing it to switch. Keeping hazards up basically nullifies Regenerator, and easily wears down Tangrowth.

A couple of things, @TheArchangle, yee posted the exact same set as you did a few posts before you did. The only difference is that you have some moves slashed but there was no change in the role or purpose of the set so it was not added.

@vyomov, I have nothing against Meloetta but I'm not entirely sold on the set and your write up of it should be able to sell the set to someone who has never used the set (such as myself). Add more to it and if you are able to post some replays to support your case that would be great as well.

I've made updates to the OP things should be updated up to the ShootinStarmie's Tangrowth set. I mentioned in the OP that if your pokemon is more of a niche pokemon or pretty underrated, replays are a great way bolster your case for said pokemon.

Last edited:
Role: Special Wall

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Roar
- Protect

What it does: Heatran at face value might seem like an odd choice for a special wall, but with a excellent resistances to and supporting moves like Stealth Rock and Roar, Heatran's role becomes quite clear. Thanks to those resistances, Heatran makes and excellent defensive check or counter to Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Celebi, Venusaur, and Volcarona. On the same note, Heatran makes an excellent Stealth Rock setter as well. Finally, Heatran can take advantage of its blazing 130 base special attack, threatening opposing steel types like Ferrothorn and Skamory, or just hitting hard on anything that switches in, with the added potential burn from Lava Plume. Thanks to these attributes Heatran is found at the core of many defensive backbones.

Good Teammates: First and foremost, Heatran has a crippling weakness to Ground-type attacks and Pokemon, that needs to be dealt with. Rotom-W and Gyarados take on a majority of Ground-type Pokemon while also resisting Water-type moves for Heatran, in general Flying-types and Levitators work in the same vein. General physical walls such as Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Slowbro also make decent partners to deal with Ground-types. Heatran has no recovery, outside of passive Leftover healing with the aid of Protect. Heatran appreciates Wish support from Blissey or Jirachi, making them decent teammates. Blissey is particularly a good partner, taking on Water-type Pokemon for Heatran, while Heatran can deal with bothersome Pokemon for Blissey like Latios. Alternatively, Heatran appreciates Rapid Spin support to not be worn down as easily, Starmie makes a decent partner to spin and check a few of Heatran's threats. Finally, Heatran appreciates Pokemon to take Water-type attacks, Pokemon such as Celebi, Roserade, Latias, and Jellicent work well. Latias in particular is a great partner, checking a variety of Heatrans threats as well, even Levitating.

Additional Information: 248 HP gives Heatran a Leftovers number. Toxic and Roar cripple or phase out the Pokemon which Heatran checks, either is needed to effectively check Volcarona. If you have another Pokemon to use Stealth Rock, Heatran can run all Protect / Toxic / Roar, making it a very potent stalling Pokemon. Will-O-Wisp is a decent option for Heatran, allowing it to crippling incoming physical Pokemon, in particular Dugtrio. Shed Shell may also be used if you are particularly worried about Dugtrio. Earthpower and Hidden Power Ice are niche options if you need Heatran to deal with opposing Heatran or Dragons and Gliscor / Landorus-T, respectfully.

What counters it: Opposing Offensive Heatran with Earth Power can switch in completely free on this Heatran, most of the time, easily making them the best counter. Blissey and Chansey are some of the best defensive counters, taking Lava Plume fine and healing poison with Natural Cure, and wear Heatran down with Seismic Toss. Starmie takes all of this Heatrans moves, even status moves thanks again to Natural Cure. Tentacruel is a decent check, however it does not enjoy being burned by Lava Plume. Other Water-types like Politoed, Jellicent, Gastrodon, and Keldeo, can all switch in rather well, however they do not enjoy being poisoned. Lum Berry Dragonite and Gyarados can take status moves from Heatran, easing their ability to switch in. Offensive Ground, Fighting, and Water-types can easily check this Heatran, threatening to 1HKO it. Dugtrio can trap and kill Heatran, 1HKOing with Earthquake, although it does have to be careful switching in.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Here's a pretty underrated one.

( Revenge Killer )

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

If you could make a list of some of the most underrated Pokémon in the OU metagame, there would be no doubt that Kyurem would be at top of it. With solid attacking stats from both sides of the spectrum, it's hard to see why people don't use him more. With a base Speed stat hitting 95, a Choice Scarf set allows it to outrun the entire un-boosted metagame. Another huge plus to this guy is that his STAB moves are resisted by few, so there's no reason not to use him currently.

Good Teammates: The first & most obvious teammate for Kyurem would be Abomasnow, which allows him to spam Base 140 power STAB Blizzards to his hearts content without worrying about accuracy at all whatsoever. Rapid Spin Support is also nice here, so Starmie would be excellent here, due to excellent synergy with it. Finally, due to it's troubles with steel typed Pokémon such as Scizor & Jirachi, Magnezone makes an excellent partner for him, taking out both with relative ease.

What Counters It: With few Pokémon resisting it's STAB combination, not much can switch-in to this guy, however don't despair, as Scizor once again comes to save the day by 2HKOing the legendary beast with a Choice Banded Bullet Punch, but it must watch out for HP Fire. Dedicated special walls such as the pink blobs otherwise known as Chansey & Blissey can wall this set to death, easily taking any of his moves & gradually wearing it down with Seismic Toss & Toxic damage. Finally, Tyranitar can take about just any hit bar Focus Blast & strike back with a supereffective Stone Edge.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Here's a pretty underrated one.

( Revenge Killer )

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

If you could make a list of some of the most underrated Pokémon in the OU metagame, there would be no doubt that Kyurem would be at top of it. With solid attacking stats from both sides of the spectrum, it's hard to see why people don't use him more. With a base Speed stat hitting 95, a Choice Scarf set allows it to outrun the entire un-boosted metagame. Another huge plus to this guy is that his STAB moves are resisted by few, so there's no reason not to use him currently.

Good Teammates: The first & most obvious teammate for Kyurem would be Abomasnow, which allows him to spam Base 140 power STAB Blizzards to his hearts content without worrying about accuracy at all whatsoever. Rapid Spin Support is also nice here, so Starmie would be excellent here, due to excellent synergy with it. Finally, due to it's troubles with steel typed Pokémon such as Scizor & Jirachi, Magnezone makes an excellent partner for him, taking out both with relative ease.

What Counters It: With few Pokémon resisting it's STAB combination, not much can switch-in to this guy, however don't despair, as Scizor once again comes to save the day by 2HKOing the legendary beast with a Choice Banded Bullet Punch, but it must watch out for HP Fire. Dedicated special walls such as the pink blobs otherwise known as Chansey & Blissey can wall this set to death, easily taking any of his moves & gradually wearing it down with Seismic Toss & Toxic damage. Finally, Tyranitar can take about just any hit bar Focus Blast & strike back with a supereffective Stone Edge.
Sorry, but I personally don't really agree with you on Kyurem here. For one, you forgot to mention how Kyurem is immensely weak to entry hazards: You say that banded Scizor 2HKO's Kyurem with its Bullet Punch, but it does, in fact, 90.53 - 106.39% damage to Kyurem, meaning that it's a potential OHKO on its own and a guaranteed OHKO if there's even one layer of Spikes on the field (not to mention Stealth Rocks, which Kyurem happens to be weak to). Breloom also OHKO's after SR damage. I'd say you need to put a little more emphasis on just how much Kyurem hates entry hazards.

Another note: You should mention that, while Kyurem with a scarf outspeeds the entire non-boosted meta, pretty much any common scarfer in OU outspeeds it anyway and can revenge kill him after he revenged something. Also, Jellicent can wall this guy to hell and back with its resistance to Blizzard, forcing Kyurem to use Draco Meteor and eat the huge SpA drop while Jellicent merrily recovers himself back to full health, might be nice to note that.

One last thing: IMO, you should make really really clear why we should prefer Kyurem over Latios as a revenge killer, for Latios is faster, boasts the same special attack, is able to hit special walls on the physical side with Psyshock, isn't weak to common priority moves and laughs at the entry hazards that Kyurem struggles with. Emphasize the reasons why Blizzard gives him that edge over Latios.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
(Role: Stall Breaker / Support)

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Syncronize
EVs: 252 HP/ 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Softboiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psyshock

Mew has a special place in my heart (because its so fricking cute!), but this set is legit regardless of whether you love Mew or not. Mew's movepool is insanely good, allowing it to run a number or viable sets, including this Stall Breaker set. Mew has solid bulk, and can easily wear down Pokemon on balanced and stall based teams. Taunt if used to keep hazards off the field, status from ruining Mew, and set up sweepers trying to use Mew as set up bait. Softboiled keeps Mew nice and healthy, and allows Mew to easily survive until late game. Will O Wisp cripples physical attackers that Mew is trying to switch in on, like Breloom, Terrakion, and Lucario. It also allows Mew to wear down common stall Pokemon like Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and Jirachi. Psyshock is STAB and hits Fighting types for great damage.

Good team mates: Mew really likes support in the form of a cleric. Mew hates being toxic'd or burned, as it really deteriates Mew's good bulk. Chansey or Blissey fills this role pretty well, as they both share decent synergy with one another (Mewtakes on Terrakion and Breloom, while Blissey takes on Gengar and Latios). Tyranitar is a pretty good partner, as it takes on most or Mew's counters, like Latios, Reuniclus, and Heatran, while Mew easily takes on Fighting types aimed at Tyranitar.

What counters Mew. Heatran is a great counter to Mew, as its immune to Will O Wisp and resists Psyshock. Heatran doesn't mind being Taunted too much, and Mew is forced to switch out. Special attackers that resist Psyshock are decent switch ins. Latios, CM Latias, Reuniclus, Celebi, and Heatran are all great switch ins and can make Mew's life hell. Faster Taunt users like Sableye completely counter Mew. Xatu and Espeon also completely counter Mew, as the best thing Mew can do to them is ht them with a weak Psyshock. Finally, status. Mew hates Toxic or burn, so burning / hitting Mew with a toxic is a great move when trying to beat Mew.

Last edited:
Imo Kyurem-Black is better then Regular Kyurem even for scarf. The small drop in special attack traded for a base 170 attack which even univested can dent alot of pokemon with outrage. Iirc they are the same speed too.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Blizzard/ Ice Beam/ Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw

Something like this would work fine

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Comments on Other Sets:

1.) Scarf Kyurem:
I'd mention how he's hazard weak, and emphasis that his ability to escape Tyranitar's pursuit is a noteworthy niche that separates it from Latios, as well as being able to lure and outspeed things like Terrakion and LO Lati@s themselves.

2.) WallBreaker Mew: OMG this was one of the first Pokemon sets I ever fell in love with when I first began playing BW1 (around late 2010). I'd say that Ice Beam has such a huge niche over Psyshock in my experiences, but that could vary on team so just slash Ice Beam to Psyshock and mention how Ice Beam can wreck LandoT / DNite / Gliscor / Hippo / etc.

3.) Scarf KyuB: This has no details at all .___. Firstly, IMO, Dragon Claw is pretty much useless. You're better off replacing that with Zen Headbutt. Furthermore; I'd make Ice Beam the primary slash in slot two. Mention that any Pokemon that can eliminate Scizor / Dragonite / Lucario / Breloom are partners most appreciated (EB Victini is oddly a good partner, as well as Genesect Lucario, HP Fire Lati@s, Scarf Politoed, etc.). Also mention how Scarf KyuB can lure EB Keldeo or Salac Terrakion or LO Lati@s, but be sure to warn users to scout for the Scarf variants first.

( Revenge Killer / Glue )

@

Trait:
Magic Guard
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice / Fire]
- Shadow Ball / Signal Beam / Encore

What it Does: Alakazam is a Pokemon I often refer to as a clutch. It's ability in Magic Guard prevents it from being affected by status (although it does not grant full paralysis immunity, but I forget which half of it it immunes since everytime I use Alakazam I've never been paralyzed before and Bulbapedia / Smogon hasn't been very specific on their pages as to what it does regarding that) and because of this, Alakazam becomes a very versatile late game sweeper. You see, Alakazam can save you if your opponent winds up setting up with something like Dragonite, since the only thing that can ever break Alakazam's Focus Sash is a direct attack from your opponent, so it oftens becomes a great clutch. As you can see, Alakazam has a variety of moves to choose from, and I'll briefly go over them:

Psychic and Psyshock is pretty much what you are hitting. Psyshock hits Terrakion in sand harder, but Psychic hits Conk / Rotom-W harder so it very much depends on what you mainly want to hit. I'd suggest Psyshock since the ability to OHKO Terrakion in sand is unrivaled. Next, your Hidden Power of choice stems off these two options: hitting Dragons or hitting Scizor. HP Fire baits and kills Scizor while HP Ice kills of Salamence / Dragonite / etc. and so the HP of choice depends on what your team requires most. And lastly, the last move depends on what you want to hit as well. Shadow Ball hits Jellicent and Lai@s much harder than Signal Beam, but Signal Beam lures out and KOs Celebi. Encore can be used as a last ditch effort on set up Pokemon like CM Jirachi, but it's not often the best choice.

Teammates: Alakazam doesn't really "need support"; rather, she needs teammates that can utilize her prowess as a lategame sweeper. Alakazam has the ability to revenge kill Keldeo, Dragonite, etc. and so finds itself a great partner for Heavy Offensive based teams. This makes Skarmory one of it's number one partners if only because the hazard support is priceless.

After Skarm, Pokemon that can take down Pursuit users (or even set up on them) are great partners for Alakazam. Such Pokemon include SubSD Terrakion, CM Keldeo, SD Lucario, SD Breloom, SD Scizor, etc.

What Counters Alakazam?: Well, Choice Scarf users like Scizor, Jirachi, Keldeo, Politoed, Garchomp, Tyranitar, etc. can be meddlesome checks as they can U-turn out (or simply attack her) and break her sash, all the while threatening to come back in and RK her. Alakazam does not particularly like Tyranitar due to FB's accuracy and Chople Berry; while non-HP Fire Alakazam fears a Pursuit from Scizor. Also, due to Alakazam's lack of power, a lot of things can survive her attacks and kill her off (which is why the hazard support is essential, as well as using her lategame). Lastly, common priority attacks in Extreme Speed, Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, and Mach Punch are simple ways to prevent Zam from slaughtering.

If I left out a counter, please comment and tell me so I can add it to the OP.

Rapid Spinner

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Ice Shard

What It Does: Donphan is one of the few Rapid Spinners that are usable in OU. It has both a great bulk and a good offensive presence. Due to its Ground-type, Donphan does not take much damage from Stealth Rock and is immune to Sand Storm. For this reason, Donphan is pretty useful against SS teams and can deal with common Stealth Rock settlers such as Tyranitar, Garchomp, Terrakion and Hippowdon. Toxic is helpful to deal with the latter and Jellicent, that otherwise would be good counters. Ice Shard allows it to revenge kill dragons, mainly those that are 4x weak to Ice.

Good Teammates: Donphan works well in sun because it loses its weakness to Water while provides a great support to the team setting up Stealth Rock and keeping entry hazards away from its field. Therefore, Ninetales is a fantastic teammate.

What Counters It: A ton of things. Donphan is not hard to counter because it only has a powerful move (in this set), Earthquake. Anything that resists it and doesn't fear either Toxic or Ice Shard is a good counter. Some examples are Gengar, Skarmory and Celebi.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Super Power
- Bug Bite

Role: Physical Sweeper

What It Does: Offensive SD Scizor is absolutely fantastic in this metagame. It is able to set up rather easily, especially while forcing switches due to an expected Choice Band. Whether you intend to blow holes in the opposing team or even clean sweep, with only small amounts of support Scizor can get the job done. Bullet Punch offers an incredibly strong priority move that is capable of 1hkoing almost anything faster than scizor that doesn't resist (and is still doing around 50% to bulky resists such as keldeo). The other two moves decimate any pokemon with the misfortune of being slower than scizor. Bug Bite is a clean 2hko on Hippowdon. Superpower can 2hko Skarm after rocks. Due to the absurd power level combined with such a strong priority move, it is very difficult to stop scizor.

Good Teammates: Scizor greatly appreciates the presence of other offensive mons, including those that share similar counters, so as to maintain offensive pressure and wear down the sturdier pokes on the opposing team. Even dugtrio support is welcome to weaken things like keldeo to the point of breaking, or eliminate heatran.

What Counters It: As mentioned, keldeo is one of the largest problems, though it can only come in after a kill. Scizor can't do much to it unless it is sufficiently weakened and keldeo can ko in return. Heatran with sufficient speed investment spells doom for Scizor, though Tran is easily disposed of if they are a defensive variant. Scarf Magnezone also have an easy win against Scizor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)