Team Building For OU

Well i guess life orb recoil will wear it down quickly and it will use memento sooner or later so it probably wont make much difference in the long run.

Scotti

we back.
WHAT NOT TO USE: Rapid Spinner

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam / Toxic

What it does: Of course Claydol is a rapid spinner, it has Rapid Spin and in addition it also have Stealth Rock. It also has a good move pool, so it actually have some good things about it. It also have some pretty good SpDef and Def. Now you're asking why shouldn't use Claydol after i said all those good things about it well let me tell you. One of Claydols biggest downfalls it is horrible typing. It is weak to the extremely common water and ice moves, and it also weak to Pursuit something you don't want to have. It is also weak to Grass, Ghost, and Bug also. Now may be used as an Rapid Spinner in UU, but this is OU and with water, ice, and Pursuit running everywhere why would you even use Claydol. It may be somewhat viable in some unknown way, but it is weak to the most common spin blockers in OU Gengar and Jellicent. Now you also may ask then why isn't Hitmontop on the Not to use list well guess what Hitmontop has an niche and that is called Foresight, so it can atleast spin. Anyways Claydol is an ok spinner, but it has an extremely hard time actually spinning, though i can see people using it on a Sun Team over Donphan, but even then i would call Donphan better.

Good Teammates: Well i might as well name some teammates even though it sucks. Ninetales would be a good teammate since it makes water attacks weaker in sun giving Claydol a chance to actually live an attack. Fire types are some Claydols best friend since they resist grass and ice moves, examples are Chandelure, Victini, Darmantian, Volcarona, and mostly Heatran since he resists Ice, Grass, Ghost, and Bug. Water types also helps Claydol since they resist, Water and Ice, examples are: Rotom-W, Vaporeon, Politoad, Keldeo, and Jellicent. I also want to give a special mention to Empoleon since Empoleon resists Water, Ice, Ghost, Bug, and grass is neutral to Empoleon. Steel types such as Specially Defensive Jirachi, Forretress, Skarmory, and most importantly Ferrothorn who resists Grass, Ghost, and Water are all other great teammates for Claydol.

What counters it: Okay i am just going to say Claydol has tons of counter and i mean alot so lets get started. Gengar and Jellicent easily defeat Claydol. Vaporeon, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Politoad, Gyarados, Feraligatr, and Sharpedo are all the water types who counter and check Claydol very easily (mostly in rain). Ferrothorn, Celebi, Breloom, Venusaur, Roserade, and Shaymin can also counter and check Claydol. Volcarona and Scizor also check Claydol thanks to their bug typing. Hydreigon and mostly Tyranitar who can Pursuit trap Claydol. Cloyster, Kyurem-B, and Mamoswine can also check and counter Claydol. Not only these, but majority of the specially attacking pokemon in the OU Tier run Hp Ice. As you can see Claydol is full of counters and checks and that is why it is not really that viable.

Additional Information: Claydol also has access to dual screens (Reflect and Light Screen), Psychic, Calm Mind, Cosmic Power, Earth Power, Charge Beam, Energy Ball, Magic Coat, Psyshock, Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Trick Room, Trick, Rock Slide, Shadow Ball, Signal Beam, and Rock Polish. Its movepool is actually really good, but thanks to its horrible typing in OU, it is a pretty bad pokemon to be using in todays OU Metagame. If your going to use a Rapid Spinner atleast use the ones that are in OU.

Last edited:
What to use

Role: Physical Sweeper / Wall breaker

Feraligatr (M) @ Mystic Water
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower / Crunch / Ice Punch

although this things is ru it's a good mon in ou too thanks to its good bulk, sword dance and thanks to a not bad coverage move. it's biggest weak point is that it is really slow for the ou tier but aqua jet solves this problem a bit. finally, we usually forget feraligatr as a threat during team building and for this reason feraligatr is even more threatening for some teams.

Good Teammates: when we plan to sweep with a feraligatr we should always eliminate jellicent / ferrothorn (if we run crunch jellicent isn't a problem but ferrothorn it's, if we run superpower ferrothorn isn't a problem but jellicent it's) and we should weaken dragon-types as well which can tank an hit and usually ohko it back. toxicroak is a problem too so we should care of it as well. to eliminate ferrothorn generally scald is enough because a burned ferrothorn can't counter feraligatr all the day even if lacks superpower, otherwise for jellicent you should try to toxic it with a fast politoed or a tentacruel i guess. however, there's infinite methods to lure these things and i just did two examples. for toxicroak you can use something like psychic politoed or expert belt keldeo with hp flying which seems a cool idea in general and for dragon-types generally is enough spamming strong water-type moves like choice specs toed and keldeo's hydro pump to weaken them and to have a easier sweep with feraligatr later. just be creative, any mon which can lure jellicent and ferrothorn (and toxicroak and dragon-types too) is a good teammate for feraligatr. obv it has to fit in a rain team because it's the kind of team where feraligatr should be used.

What Counters It: tangrowth is the best counters around probably since even with a sword dance and ice punch feraligatr don't ohko it while tangrowth can sleep power or recover its hp with giga drain. other solid counters are jellicent, ferrothorn and slowbro but they will all fall to the right coverage move. amoonguss is another nice counter and tentacruel can tank some waterfall and try to burn it with scald. toxicroak wins against every feraligatr doesn't run earthquake. finally, mons like lati twins, salamence, kyurem-b, dragonite, starmie and rotom-w are all solid checks but we need to keep healthy to check the crocodile.

Additional Information: don't use life orb since feraligatr really doesn't like recoil. if you want another item then go with lum berry which is useful against scald and will-o-wisp. use earthquake if you want to bypass toxicroak. you can even lack waterfall if you want because you're using mainly aqua jet to use 2 coverage move together (superpower + crunch is the best option i guess) to bypass jellicent and ferrothorn easier. that's it

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What to use

Role: Physical Sweeper / Wall breaker

Feraligatr (M) @ Mystic Water
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower / Crunch / Ice Punch

although this things is ru it's a good mon in ou too thanks to its good bulk, sword dance and thanks to a not bad coverage move. it's biggest weak point is that it is really slow for the ou tier but aqua jet solves this problem a bit. finally, we usually forget feraligatr as a threat during team building and for this reason feraligatr is even more threatening for some teams.

Good Teammates: when we plan to sweep with a feraligatr we should always eliminate jellicent / ferrothorn (if we run crunch jellicent isn't a problem but ferrothorn it's, if we run superpower ferrothorn isn't a problem but jellicent it's) and we should weaken dragon-types as well which can tank an hit and usually ohko it back. toxicroak is a problem too so we should care of it as well. to eliminate ferrothorn generally scald is enough because a burned ferrothorn can't counter feraligatr all the day even if lacks superpower, otherwise for jellicent you should try to toxic it with a fast politoed or a tentacruel i guess. however, there's infinite methods to lure these things and i just did two examples. for toxicroak you can use something like psychic politoed or expert belt keldeo with hp flying which seems a cool idea in general and for dragon-types generally is enough spamming strong water-type moves like choice specs toed and keldeo's hydro pump to weaken them and to have a easier sweep with feraligatr later. just be creative, any mon which can lure jellicent and ferrothorn (and toxicroak and dragon-types too) is a good teammate for feraligatr. obv it has to fit in a rain team because it's the kind of team where feraligatr should be used.

What Counters It: tangrowth is the best counters around probably since even with a sword dance and ice punch feraligatr don't ohko it while tangrowth can sleep power or recover its hp with giga drain. other solid counters are jellicent, ferrothorn and slowbro but they will all fall to the right coverage move. amoonguss is another nice counter and tentacruel can tank some waterfall and try to burn it with scald. toxicroak wins against every feraligatr doesn't run earthquake. finally, mons like lati twins, salamence, kyurem-b, dragonite, starmie and rotom-w are all solid checks but we need to keep healthy to check the crocodile.

Additional Information: don't use life orb since feraligatr really doesn't like recoil. if you want another item then go with lum berry which is useful against scald and will-o-wisp. use earthquake if you want to bypass toxicroak. you can even lack waterfall if you want because you're using mainly aqua jet to use 2 coverage move together (superpower + crunch is the best option i guess) to bypass jellicent and ferrothorn easier. that's it
Cool set Alexander, but I don't understand the EVs too much. I much prefer 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe to out speed minimum speed Rotom-W, because you're not sacrificing that much bulk for speed which could win you a game. I do think it's relevant that Gator out speeds Rotom-W since a good player is going to keep a great check (or try to) until late game. Also, for additional items I actually played around with Pinch Berries, like Salac Berry and Liechi Berry. While I found these inferior to Mystic Water, it should be noted as a usable item. Salac increases Speed by +1 at 25% or lower, and Liechi Berry increases attack by +1 at 25% or lower. Cool set man.

Here's a set I love using! It can cripple sweepers and set up entry hazards at the same time!

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 Hp, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Spikes
-Thunder Wave / Taunt
-Ice Beam
-Destiny Bond

Role: Hazard User

What It Does: Froslass is the only ghost-type with access to spikes, making it an efficient user of entry hazards. It's easily able to effectively neuter most sweepers thanks to Thunder Wave, or it can taunt Support Pokemon as well as other hazard users, crippling them and rendering some hazard users near useless without a switch. If Froslass is ever taunted itself, an unlikely feat due to it's blazing 110 base speed stat, it can attack with a powerful ice beam. Froslass can usually lay down a layer of spikes, absorb a normally-fatal hit with its Focus Sash, and lay down another layer before being KO-d. Froslass's ability, Cursed Body, can aid this process, as it has a 30% chance of disabling a move that hits it, and choice-locked Pokemon may have to switch out, allowing yet another layer of spikes to go up. Once enough spike layers have been placed down, Froslass can use Destiny Bond to unexpectedly OHKO an unaware attacker, provided that Froslass is KO-d as well.

Good Teammates: Anything that appreciates entry hazards will love Froslass, as spikes are a nice way to chip away at the other teams health. Strong set-up sweepers such as Quiver Dance Volcarona, Dragon Dance Dragonite, and Swords Dance Lucario are must-haves and pair excellently with Froslass. Gengar, Jellicent, and other spin-blockers are also useful, as they prevent Rapid-Spinners from removing Froslass's spikes.

What Counters It: Since Froslass is so frail and relies on its Focus Sash to keep it alive while it sets up spikes, sandstorm-inducing Pokemon such as Tyranitar are its biggest checks, immediately breaking its Focus Sash. Magic-Bounce users often put a lot of pressure on Froslass and keep it from setting up spikes or using Taunt / Thunder Wave. Faster Pokemon, such as Starmie, and priority users like Bullet Punch Scizor can 2HKO a Focus Sashed Froslass before it can use Destiny Bond,
although Thunder Wave solves the former issue.

Any Additional Info: Not a lot of people use this set but it's honestly a great way to set up entity hazards while crippling teams with paralysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)