np: UU - Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for not contributing anything to the current discussion, but since rain used to be the big hype at the start of this meta, here's me playing around a rain team with my own completely unprepared mess of a team. I just had to share it since it was such a weird battle, but feel free to ignore it.

Code:
 Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
  Opponent sent out Froslass (lvl 100 Froslass ?).
  Boingo sent out Wigglytuff (lvl 100 Wigglytuff ?).
  Froslass used Spikes.
  Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
  Wigglytuff used Copycat.
  Wigglytuff used Spikes.
  ---
  Froslass used Spikes.
  Wigglytuff used Copycat.
  Wigglytuff used Spikes.
  ---
  Froslass used Spikes.
  Wigglytuff used Thunder Wave.
  Froslass is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
  ---
  Opponent switched in Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
  Wigglytuff used Copycat.
  But it failed!
  ---
  Uxie used Stealth Rock.
  Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
  Wigglytuff used Copycat.
  Wigglytuff used Stealth Rock.
  Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
  ---
  Uxie used Rain Dance.
  Rain began to fall!
  Wigglytuff used Seismic Toss.
  Uxie lost 28% of its health.
  The rain continues to fall.
  ---
  Uxie used U-turn.
  Wigglytuff lost 13% of its health.
  Opponent switched in Qwilfish (lvl 100 Qwilfish ?).
  Qwilfish was hurt by Spikes!
  Qwilfish lost 18% of its health.
  Pointed stones dug into Qwilfish.
  Qwilfish lost 12% of its health.
  Qwilfish is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
  Wigglytuff's leftovers restored its health a little!
  Wigglytuff restored 6% of its health.
  ---
  Wigglytuff used Protect.
  Wigglytuff protected itself!
  Qwilfish used Explosion.
  Opponent's Qwilfish fainted.
  ---
  Opponent switched in Kabutops (lvl 100 Kabutops ?).
  Kabutops was hurt by Spikes!
  Kabutops lost 18% of its health.
  Pointed stones dug into Kabutops.
  Kabutops lost 12% of its health.
  Kabutops used Waterfall.
  Wigglytuff lost 76% of its health.
  Kabutops lost 10% of its health.
  Kabutops is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
  ---
  Wigglytuff used Seismic Toss.
  Kabutops lost 38% of its health.
  Kabutops is paralysed! It can't move!
  ---
  Wigglytuff used Protect.
  Kabutops is paralysed! It can't move!
  ---
  Kabutops used Aqua Jet.
  Wigglytuff lost 42% of its health.
  Boingo's Wigglytuff fainted.
  Kabutops lost 10% of its health.
  ---
  Boingo switched in Blastoise (lvl 100 Blastoise ?).
  Blastoise was hurt by Spikes!
  Blastoise lost 25% of its health.
  Pointed stones dug into Blastoise.
  Blastoise lost 12% of its health.
  Blastoise used Rapid Spin.
  Blastoise blew away the spikes!
  Blastoise blew away the pointed stones!
  It's not very effective...
  Kabutops lost 2% of its health.
  Kabutops used Stone Edge.
  Blastoise lost 52% of its health.
  Kabutops lost 9% of its health.
  Opponent's Kabutops fainted.
  The rain stopped.
  Blastoise's leftovers restored its health a little!
  Blastoise restored 6% of its health.
  ---
  Pointed stones dug into Uxie.
  Uxie lost 12% of its health.
  Uxie used Rain Dance.
  Rain began to fall!
  Blastoise used Toxic.
  Uxie was badly poisoned!
  Uxie is hurt by poison!
  Uxie lost 6% of its health.
  ---
  Uxie used Psychic.
  Blastoise lost 17% of its health.
  Blastoise used Hydro Pump.
  Blastoise's attack missed!
  Uxie is hurt by poison!
  ---
  Boingo switched in Skuntank (lvl 100 Skuntank ?).
  Uxie used U-turn.
  Skuntank lost 18% of its health.
  Opponent switched in Ludicolo (lvl 100 Ludicolo ?).
  Ludicolo was hurt by Spikes!
  Ludicolo lost 19% of its health.
  Pointed stones dug into Ludicolo.
  Ludicolo lost 12% of its health.
  Skuntank's Black Sludge restored a little health!
  Skuntank restored 6% of its health.
  ---
  Skuntank used Sucker Punch.
  Ludicolo lost 51% of its health.
  Ludicolo used Hydro Pump.
  Skuntank lost 88% of its health.
  Boingo's Skuntank fainted.
  Ludicolo lost 10% of its health.
  ---
  Boingo switched in Blastoise (lvl 100 Blastoise ?).
  Ludicolo used Hydro Pump.
  Blastoise lost 12% of its health.
  Boingo's Blastoise fainted.
  Ludicolo lost 8% of its health.
  Opponent's Ludicolo fainted.
  ---
  Opponent switched in Raikou (lvl 100 Raikou).
  Boingo switched in Dodrio (lvl 100 Dodrio ?).
  Raikou is exerting its pressure!
  Raikou was hurt by Spikes!
  Raikou lost 19% of its health.
  Pointed stones dug into Raikou.
  Raikou lost 12% of its health.
  Boingo switched in Camerupt (lvl 100 Camerupt ?).
  Raikou used Thunder.
  It doesn't affect Camerupt...
  ---
  Raikou used Hidden Power.
  It's super effective!
  Camerupt lost 99% of its health.
  Camerupt used Earthquake.
  It's super effective!
  Raikou lost 69% of its health.
  Opponent's Raikou fainted.
  Camerupt's leftovers restored its health a little!
  Camerupt restored 6% of its health.
  ---
  Uxie used U-turn.
  A critical hit!
  Camerupt lost 7% of its health.
  Boingo's Camerupt fainted.
  Opponent switched in Froslass (lvl 100 Froslass ?).
  Froslass was hurt by Spikes!
   Froslass lost 19% of its health.
  Pointed stones dug into Froslass.
  Froslass lost 25% of its health.
  The rain stopped.
  ---
  Boingo switched in Dodrio (lvl 100 Dodrio ?).
  Froslass is paralysed! It can't move!
  Dodrio used Brave Bird.
  Froslass lost 57% of its health.
  Opponent's Froslass fainted.
  Dodrio was hit by recoil!
  Dodrio lost 20% of its health.
  ---
  Boingo: gg
  Opponent has left the room.
  Boingo wins!

Major problem I see there is that opponent didn't switch Froslass in to block Blastoise's Rapid Spin ...

It could be the result of a predicting war however, which is why I (still) don't think Froslass is BL.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Again: use Trick Room to fix the speed (if you need it) over Synthesis.

But yeah: once i fought Weezing + Milotic and both were Haze users. It gave me hell, i couldn't boost with anything.
I thought: Is there a poke that can take down both without boost?

The answer: Exeggutor.

PS: Explosion is also a good option over Synthesis. So you take a poke together with you (Chansey anyone?).
Wow this set is much more effective than I thought it would be....I run Explosion in the last slot. Trick Room is pretty silly as Exeggutor isn't going to do much sweeping after even a single Leaf Storm. Explosion is the best choice IMO...although Chansey can be defeated through Sleep Powder + Psychic + Psychic + Leaf Storm.

You know, a set of Leaf Storm, Explosion, Stun Spore, and Psychic might work. The best part is, Stun Spore is totally unexpected and might allow you to outspeed something like Drapion for the Explosion should it switch in expecting a Psychic or Leaf Storm. Sleep Powder probably would be better, but Offense would have a terrible time with this if you switch it in on something like offensive Raikou with HP Water.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think I may have found the perfect replacement for Raikou (he goes)

It's an eletric type.
It's awesome.
It's... RAICHU.

Okay guys all joking aside, people need to test Ampharos out for a test spin. She's truly awesome. She's pretty slow, but she can actually TAKE a hit and hits like a mad truck from her massive base 115 SpA. I use her as a special attacking tank
or a boah type pokemon.

I battled some dude using it and it really gave me a good impression.

That basically means I am quitting using Raichu in UU for good

PS: Incidently, she is overshadowed by Raikou in every single stat. Go figure huh?

I am currently using Heracross vigorously in my OU team to keep it from coming down and keep it from NU status like alot of the other BLs.

94 | Staraptor | 9963 | 1.02 | (Poor old Staraptor)

About Smeargle. I remember using an Imprison,Toxic Spikes,Stealth Rock, and Taunt set that was hella fun.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Okay a boah POKEMON. (what do they even mean by Boah?)

It's awesome at taking on stall, (it doesn't even give lick about Registeel) and hurts a good amount of UU stall teams for some massive damage. (HP Ice is a must on Ampharos)

I'm using Xia's EV's (252 SpA / 208 Hp / 48 speed) but I think I make a faster version.

Edit: And why I did I say Boah user?!?

Okay a boah POKEMON. (what do they even mean by Boah?)
"Boah" is not a title you just randomly throw on Pokemon like it is "cro"(which is a pretty stupid naming convention in it's own right) or something. It is a reference to a specific anti-metagame ADV Tyranitar set(though it is also in its DP analysis). It does not mean "subpunch." It is irritating to see it randomly thrown around in situations it does not fit.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Cool now I'm going to make a Sub/Sleep Powder/Swords Dance/Power Whip Venusaur set and call it "Lunasaur" and make Luna the new Boah.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
You guys are so mean .__.
you learn something knew everyday...

Kidding. But that's what the analysis states...
Anywho, what do you guys think of Ampharos? At the moment it's just a inferior Raikou with Focus Blast / Punch but in a metagame without Raikou I can really see it shining.

Lunasaur is kinda catchy... sounds like what Harle's dragon form should have been called in Chrono Cross or something.

I don't think Raikou not being in the metagame will be particularly advantageous for Ampharos, since it is way, way too slow to be a feasible replacement. It isn't even that helpful for Ampharos to have Raikou's checks' usage toned down, since it can beat up most of them with Focus Punch anyway. The only thing the two really have in common outside of the electric typing is that they are fairly bulky for offensive Pokemon(90 HP/75 Def/90 SD for Amphy while Raikou has 100), but the giant BST gap between them is pretty much exclusively in speed, giving Raikou the advantage of outrunning basically everything instead of being outrun by basically everything like Ampharos.

If you can get it set-up it can do some decent damage(which is true for basically everything with decent offensive stats), but I really don't understand the concept of a slow Pokemon that is intended to do damage - it doesn't have the bulk(or power, actually) of a Rhyperior, but is slower than basically every non-wall so you're guaranteed to have to eat a hit unless your opponent creates an opening for you. I'm not a fan.

I feel like Ampharos is one of those Pokemon people try too hard to help out because it's somewhat cute or because they have nostalgia from using it in GSC but it's in exactly the tier it should be right now - it's good for some surprise in UU at best.

Funny thing is she can actually take a hit from LOtrio, but I'm not sure about CB.
Might want to check your facts on that. Eyeballing the damage calc, Jolly LO does 104% min to the Subpunch version in the analysis, which runs 208 HP. Even with 252 EVs in HP(which is going to cause you to be outrun by some walls), Jolly LO does 101.6% min.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Lunasaur is kinda catchy... sounds like what Harle's dragon form should have been called in Chrono Cross or something.

I don't think Raikou not being in the metagame will be particularly advantageous for Ampharos, since it is way, way too slow to be a feasible replacement. It isn't even that helpful for Ampharos to have Raikou's checks' usage toned down, since it can beat up most of them with Focus Punch anyway. The only thing the two really have in common outside of the electric typing is that they are fairly bulky for offensive Pokemon(90 HP/75 Def/90 SD for Amphy while Raikou has 100), but the giant BST gap between them is pretty much exclusively in speed, giving Raikou the advantage of outrunning basically everything instead of being outrun by basically everything like Ampharos.

If you can get it set-up it can do some decent damage(which is true for basically everything with decent offensive stats), but I really don't understand the concept of a slow Pokemon that is intended to do damage - it doesn't have the bulk(or power, actually) of a Rhyperior, but is slower than basically every non-wall so you're guaranteed to have to eat a hit unless your opponent creates an opening for you. I'm not a fan.

I feel like Ampharos is one of those Pokemon people try too hard to help out because it's somewhat cute or because they have nostalgia from using it in GSC but it's in exactly the tier it should be right now - it's good for some surprise in UU at best.

Might want to check your facts on that. Eyeballing the damage calc, Jolly LO does 104% min to the Subpunch version in the analysis, which runs 208 HP. Even with 252 EVs in HP(which is going to cause you to be outrun by some walls), Jolly LO does 101.6% min.

A fellow Chrono Cross fan? I thought they didn't exist. And I actually completely agree.

I actually didn't think of ever using it until I actually saw one in play.

ANYWAY, you raise a good point (thanks for taking the time to type that out). Still If I had to use that I'd rather use that then Manectric or Raichu. (who imo are to frail for UU)

what is the best third attack these days for CM alakazam? psychic and fblast would be a must I would think but what about the third spot?? grass knot? signal beam? shadow ball?

what is the best third attack these days for CM alakazam? psychic and fblast would be a must I would think but what about the third spot?? grass knot? signal beam? shadow ball?
Signal Beam is probably the best.

Although the crazies like me prefer to run CMEncore. Big risk big reward.

^Yay Chrono Cross. It gets such a bad rep because of the "Chrono" tag, and the community that it was left is really defensive because of it.

I feel that Raikou's biggest selling point is its Speed, so I doubt that Ampharos would work purely as an alternative at all.

Also CM Encore Alakazam so fun to use.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Encore is just a really dickish move in general, I typically like throwing it on everything that can learn it. This gives me an idea for an all-encore team....

Mimimi

Signal Beam gets more coverage than Focus Blast. You're walled by Registeel and Steelix (maybe Aggron), but whatever.

Is the huge Milotic usage interfering with Feraligatr usefulness?
I don't see many those days.

Encore is just a really dickish move in general, I typically like throwing it on everything that can learn it. This gives me an idea for an all-encore team....
Remember my team that had 3 users? I believe it was Lopunny, Jumpluff, and Poliwrath. Probably the most annoying Encore pokes. xD

Lol, I must have rolled minimum damage because it survived when I battled it once. I was annoyed to say the least xD.

ANYWAY, you raise a good point (thanks for taking the time to type that out). Still If I had to use that I'd rather use that then Manectric or Raichu. (who imo are to frail for UU)
Who are you and what have you done with PK Gaming?

That Wigglytuff lead looks hilarious. I need to try that. And paired with a spinner that has Foresight, it seems effective as well.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Who are you and what have you done with PK Gaming?

That Wigglytuff lead looks hilarious. I need to try that. And paired with a spinner that has Foresight, it seems effective as well.
I've reached my limit with Raichu. Sure NP chu is pretty powerful but he's just outclassed.

Why would I use NP Raichu when Houndoom is stronger, bulkier and can actually switch in. Sucker punch stops him from being revenged too. (I was using Encore NP Raichu)

I thought he had a niche as a NP stall breaker. Sure Houndoom can't get by stalls bulky waters (2+ Dark pulse RAPES them hard though) but then someone pointed out that NP croak is a better stall breaker. He doesn't give a damn about Chansey (worse case scenario Raichu misses with Focus Blast and is toxic stalled) and Toxicroak's 2+ Focus Blast hits A LOT harder. (always OHKO's Registeel as opposed to Raichu who needs prior damage) I thought that Raichu's speed was helpful in differentiating itself but it doesn't even matter in the long run. (If he only he had base 110) he's too frail, and can only setup with Encore (which missy even learns) or forcing a switch

I tried subpunch + encore but it was far too weak to actually hurt anything, and I was easily walled.
There's just no point anymore. This is me, officially giving up on Raichu in UU.

Edit:
Lead set looks freaking Hilarious.I can't believe Wigglytuff tanked a Waterfull from tops.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh, we've moved away from Ampharos. Damn. Whatever, I'll just add my bit anyway. The SubPunch set needs HP Grass, otherwise you're walled by stuff like Lanturn and Quagsire (Although they aren't very common). It also lets you hit Rhyperior and stuff like that harder than HP Ice, and Rhyperior is a massive bitch. HP Ice is only there for Torterra, I guess (Altaria is hit neutrally by a STAB'd attack anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)