np: UU - Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cresselia and Porygon-z were both voted BL with supermajorities so wave goodbye to the duckies (also a joke about duck hunting season)!

Raikou, for the second round in a row was voted UU. Future attempts to nominate it for suspect will have to rely on special circumstances.

Damp Rock, though talked about quite a bit, seems to draw nothing but apathy from the voters. It was voted UU by a 4-2 vote, the least paragraphed suspect by far (it's always the ones people talk about the most).

Moltres was voted UU in a very tight 5-4 margin and will be sticking around some more to bring the fire.

Changes haven't been made to the ladder yet, so until then just discuss!

Also, the downtime gives us a little bit of a chance to discuss the 4 week period (which seems highly likely to go into effect) and the upper requirements (which needs a tad more kink-work)

Round ends April 11th

Ratings requirements for this round are 1600/55 and there's the new added upper requirement of 1775/45! Note that meeting these upper reqs will not make you free of sending in anything, but rather you're only required to write ~2 sentences describing your vote for each suspect.

Heh, I'm prepared to see froslass leads all over that place and raikou sweeping like before cressy came down. Say hello to another terrible metagame everyone! I guess I can't bitch too much, after all, I didn't vote. =/

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NO DUCKS

In all seriousness, I am most excited for this current iteration of UU. It's exactly what I wanted post-Gallade ban, where we didn't even get to explore the tier before Cresselia and Porygon-Z dropped down.

Finally, Cress and PZ had no business in UU to begin with IMO.

If someone that voted could vm me, i have a few questions on how to get involved in the whole tier contribution thing.

I think this is gonna be a great metagame(as long as somthing rediculously op doesnt come down from OU again). Pretty excited.

I can also keep using moltres + spikes yay.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think this will actually be a better metagame than the previous one, despite that not being hard, and even though one of the things I wanted banned the most didn't end up so; but I guess one month from now we can work around that and hopefully I'll be able to write something. No Cresselia is just terrific too...

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This is the first metagame where I actually want to play. I'm also pretty free during this testing period so hopefully I can continue playing the entire time and make the vote. :)

Huh. I was kind of expecting something other than Cress and Gonz to be voted BL (though I wasn't entirely sure what). Guess not.

Well, time to make a new team that abuses one of those things to hell and back rather than Cress and Gonz as my old team did.

If the four-week thing does go ahead then we'll be playing TWO metagames before any OUs drop down.

Fortunately none of my good teams were screwed over by this result. I'm looking forward to this metagame. I think I'll explore Froslass, Moltres and Rain teams a bit more broadly because I'm tired of Raikou.

Posting to agree with buddies stellar and LN

Posting my paras here just because I know the ones I had given to people are already circulating on IRC (and by circulating I mean I think everyone who has ever been in #stark read my DR paragraph before I even woke up). These are much longer than I think they have any right to be but it was just easier to address too much rather than too little; I've always preferred to just go too long when writing and edit later. Except I didn't really see any need to bother with that step...

I'm sure you people can/will easily find holes in all of them but that is part of the point of this process - we all have our own views and opinions and biases. That's why we just don't have one person making the decision to begin with.

It's worth noting the Cress paragraph is significantly worse than the rest because I wrote it after class Wednesday just in case we weren't in the supermajority range.

Intro
As kind of an opening argument, this is where my stats ended up at this period:

TEIFU | 1,761.29 | 36.71 |

I think the rating is pretty irrelevant since I could have pumped that up more if I really wanted to, but the deviation is why I want to include this. Outside of maybe the Yanmega period when I was too apathetic to vote, I don't think I've ever played this many games in one period of a suspect test. In doing so I played with a few very specific team types.

I started out the period running something similar to what I was running last period, which was a spikes oriented team with Froslass and Raikou. I ended up finding it didn't work nearly as well as it did last period (although I suspect it would work spectacularly again now that the game has settled around Cresselia if I adapted it to counter rain better), so I took some time to experiment with the new suspects a bit. I used Cresselia for most of the first three weeks or so, and I used PorygonZ on and off. Raikou was almost a constant on my team throughout the period, both appearing on a majority of my early period teams, as well as the rain team I ended up for the last half of the period. I played most of the second half with that rain team - it's definitely the suspect I care the most about, and the suspect I know the most about. I had my deviation down to 27 a few days prior to the end of nominations trying to figure out where I thought the cap of where rain could take me was, but more on that later.

Moltres was a mainstay on my team for most of the past half year or so, only finally leaving for a long period of time when I finished the period playing rain almost exclusively. However, I think because of my past use of it I understand it well enough to write a paragraph for it.

In good faith, however, I'm going to have to abstain from voting on Porygon-Z. If I really wanted to vote on it I'm sure I could theorymon myself a good enough argument to vote, and I do firmly believe that BL is the right decision for it, but I just don't have the experience to back it up. If we used a pure SEXP system I would probably have enough from my experience at the beginning of the period with it and my time recently against it, but I just don't think I understand the Pokemon well enough - I'm going to leave that vote to other users who know better.

I'm not don't have a ton of damage calculations in any of these, because I find it more often than not to be a misuse of statistics. Pokemon isn't a game where you're ever assured to get to whack away at any given target... lots of Pokemon can 1/2hko lots of other Pokemon, but that doesn't necessarily make them broke in a game that involves so much switching and especially variable EV spreads. I resorted to them when I needed to, but I play and think the game in a very... pragmatic way.

Moltres
Moltres

It is impossible to ignore that Moltres cranks out an awful lot of damage. It certainly has the power to win or lose games. While it can run Agility or a scarf set (or the stall set, which I think is probably as good or better than the LO set), I think most people who consider Moltres are suspect are looking at something like this:

Moltres @ Life Orb
Modest / Usually Max Speed and SpA
Fire move here
Air Slash
Roost
HP Grass or I guess Electric

This set is undeniably very difficult to switch into. At no point in this do I want to make an argument that is anything other than the following: Moltres is among the best special attackers in tier, and maybe the single most powerful offensive Pokemon that fits, but not so powerful that it doesn't fit.

I think there are several major balancing factors for Moltres:

- The most obvious is the main reason it is in UU and not OU to begin with: Stealth Rock. Residual damage is absolutely devastating to the burning crow, and with UU being a metagame where it is usually easy to get Stealth Rock up and fairly difficult to get it off the field with how many ghosts most teams are running around with these days. Compounding issues caused by automatic switch-in damage from entry hazards is the fact that Moltres has pretty atrocious defensive typing. Its actual defensive stats are pretty nice (90 hp and def, 85 SpD is enough to make the toxic stalling set work), but it still has to eat an attack to come in, which it has a hard time doing from Pokemon that aren't grass types or walls. Even earthquake immunity is sketchy in UU just because it isn't used with the frequency it has been in other generations and metagames due to the lack of prevalent ground-weak POkemon. Outside of Raikou, most offensive threats aren't weak to it (only Arcanine, Registel, and Rhyperior are weak to it for other top 20 Pokemon), which cuts down on its spammability when combined with the fact the 20 also consists of 3 levitaters and two Flying-types.

- The other problem with switching leads into Moltres' other big problem: it really doesn't do well with status. While this is a common offensive trait, especially with Paralysis, but for Moltres Toxic is almost more devastating with Stealth Rock and usually Life Orb (without which Moltres is forced to lose its offensive versatility or some much needed firepower that makes it much easier to wall) whittling away at its health. Both of those "easy" switch-ins mentioned before, grass and walls, tend to carry those statuses Moltres hates. Eating a Sleep move is almost as good as killing it as well, since unless Moltres is lucky enough to wake up it is forced to switch out without Roosting off any of the Stealth Rock damage it almost certainly just took, causing it to come in with 1-3 HP next time.

This inability to double switch is a huge problem in general, of course. Moltres is one of the least flexible Pokemon in the tier - it only takes one good switch or unexpected Roar to make it basically unusable.

- It DOES have a handful of relatively reliable counters. Chansey obviously stops it dead for the most part, softboiling damage and potentially inflicting a status or seismic tossing it down.

While it doesn't do a whole lot back, Altaria also has no trouble coming in on Moltres. Though some sets, like that ridiculous resttalk/DD/Outrage set FlareBlitz used to use sure capitalizes on Moltres, and even a stall team can bring Altaria in for a free Heal Bell and/or Perish Song force out, wearing Moltres down to be dealt with later.

While there aren't a ton of awesome UU "bulky waters" that can absorb Moltres' hits, Milotic does a good job and Slowking does an excellent one. In Milotic's case, it is possible to be killed if you switch into Air Slash + super effective HP with some entry hazards up, but usually being on the side of Milotic in that scenario I've found it to be a reliable check. You have to mispredict twice (since if you expected Air Slash you could have brought in Raikou, etc.), and that HP finisher is awfully fucking obvious (and thus, exploitable).

Slowking, while not used as often as he probably deserves to be, absorbs Moltres' hits like a champ and forces it out with [water moves] and status.

Like Chansey's Softboiled and Altaria's Roost, Milotic features Recover and Slowking features Slack Off to be reliable long term counters to Moltres over the course of the game.

Cresselia also stops it cold (to the point I stopped using Moltres this period), but I feel safe assuming it is gone so I don't see much value in including her in this.

All of these Pokemon potentially lose in a "what if 3 layers of spikes and stealth rock are up and/or it critical hit flinches OMFG" but I don't think there's any place for that type of argument, as much as I'm sure others are making it as I speak. If the opponent controls the field that well almost any competent offensive Pokemon is going to clean up - that's why we don't all run 6 walls.

- Moltres also features a problem in that while it is by no means slow, 279 Speed with Modest is nothing to write home about, and 306 with Timid still gets outrun while losing some important potential XHKOs on Pokemon like Milotic. In addition to every scarfer in the game easily forcing out and/or killing Moltres, Moltres suffers from being slower than a ton of Pokemon that can do that needed 50% (40% if it's just killed something) to it. Quicker Pokemon that can finish it after SR damage include Houndom, Drapion, Arcanine if it has Thunder Fang (CB Arcanine also does 42-50% with CB Extremespeed if Adamant, so if it has taken SR + LO recoil it can finish it), Mismagius, Raikou (who can also come in an an Air Slash whenever it wants to force it out), Alakazam, Ambipom, and Dugtrio. Priority is also an issue to some extent, with Fake Out being a major pain in the ass and Aqua Jet being a clean finish from the likes of Kabutops, Qwilfish, or Azumarill.

- The prevalence of rain also helps to balance Moltres, since it has a really hard time doing anything of substance against teams featuring the strategy. As one would expect from a team that concentrates on offensive water Pokemon Moltres is totally shut down, outrun by all of the rain sweepers in the rain and most of the popular set-up Pokemon without it (Uxie, Electrode, Raikou). This has done a lot to make teams think twice about using Moltres recently.

- While usage isn't the end all be all of broken, I find it very interesting that Moltres was only 16th in usage in January. I don't think there's much honor in competitive gaming; people pick the Pokemon that they think they are most likely to win with. So why didn't more people pick Moltres this period? It wasn't even the most popular fire type last month - that prize goes to Arcanine.

I think Moltres is a lot of fuss about nothing. It's a very strong attacker, but it has numerous glaring weakness that make it fit in UU.

Moltres should stay in UU.

Raikou
Raikou

Outside of a short period right after he was brought down when I was too lazy to adjust, and for a short period this round when I was playing with both Cress and Gonz, I have used Raikou in every match I've played. This is not to say I think he is particularly dominating, however. I would wager I am probably in at least the top 5 of suspect xp with him - fluffy and I spend a lot of time together. I would agree that he is the best electric type in the tier and that he is very powerful, but I think the fact he is even a suspect again is uprising. He's simply a strong Pokemon in the tier with his share of checks, and I think he fits in the metagame well. As such, Raikou is uu.

While this is somewhat of a tangent, DPP UU's Raikou reminds me a lot of Advance Raikou. Life Orb gives him some options he didn't have then, but its basic jobs are the same as they were then. The greater offensive power in the game (as well as Choice Scarf existing) bumped him out of OU, and it's funny how many of his former advance OU brethern like Milotic (a pokemon he sets up on both this gen and last) and Registeel (a pokemon who countered and counters him) are here as well. Raikou spent some time in the earlier days of 386 being one of the more dominant Pokemon before the game slowed down a bit. He was never quite the same, but he adapted somewhat, featuring a lot more roar sets - the same thing that's kind of happened in DPP UU, with him appearing mostly on Stall and Rain to help set up other Pokemon. He was nominated, apparently, because of his offensive ability, so that's what I'll be focusing on.

Raikou's main problem in a sweeping role has always been his lack of recovery. He has some great traits. Like many electric pokemon, he is very fast, and as a member of a legendary trio his BST is high enough to give him somewhat respectable defensive stats. However, his movepool is terribly limited, something that has always plagued Entei as well. Raikou really only has Roar, Thunder/bolt, Shadow Ball, Calm Mind, and Extrasensory for viable moves on most of his sets, in addition to the universals like restalk, Hidden Power, and Substitute.

In order to try to keep up with some of the other very quick Pokemon like Ambipom, who he ties and Mismagius, Modest Sceptile and Scyther, who he needs to be Timid to outrun, typically he is Timid with a large Speed investment. This forces him either to reduce his offensive power by investing in his defenses, or to do what most people do and use a more go-for-broke strategy with maxish speed and special attack.

Especially when un-EVed, Raikou's somewhat suspect physical bulk (90 base hp/75 base defense) causes him to be very vulnerable to any physical Pokemon able to take one of his hits. Scarfers do a great job of scaring him out, many of whom (Hitmonlee, Scyther, Absol) hit on his weaker physical side. Most physical priority attacks do a great deal of damage to him as well, taking 43-50% from an LO Arcanine Extremespeed, 41-49% from Jolly Ambipom LO Fake Out, and about 80% from Technitop's Fake Out + Mach Punch. The threat of any of these priority attacks forces him out, causing him to face one of the problems the previous suspect I mentioned, Moltres, also has trouble with - entry hazards.

While Raikou only takes 12.5% from Stealth Rock, the omnipresent Spikes dig into him unlike Moltres, and the existance of spikes of the poisoned variety (even one layer) ruins any chances Raikou has of setting up and sweeping. Raikou must make a choice between Life Orb, which adds to his power (and is the popular offensive set right now) and an item like Leftovers, which allows him to come in more frequently in exchange for making him more vulnerable by needing more turns to set-up enough to do any reasonable damage. Unlike Moltres, PorygonZ, Cresselia, and even Scyther, Raikou lacks a reliable recovery option to remove the damage caused by attempts at hitting and running, so the "suspect" offensive sets only get to enter the field a few times.

As mentioned in the Toxic Spikes line, Raikou is another Pokemon that simply can't handle being statused. Resttalk is an option here to help it, but no one would argue the resttalk set is imbalanced, and for the more threatening sweepers any status is a death sentence. Burn and Poison wear it down before it can pick up enough vital CMs to try to sweep and prevent it from playing the Sub + CM stalling game while it attempts to set-up against foolish weaker special attacking Pokemon. Paralyzing a Raikou is nearly as devastating as paralyzing a Tauros in RBY, since it goes from being one of the stronger offensive forces (though nothing comparable to that example, I guess) to something very ineffective that few Pokemon have real problems with.

Raikou also has a number of reliable counters, which force it out pretty easily. Chansey, as usual, is a pretty safe cover-all counter, able to break any Substitutes with Seismic Toss, as well as potentially inflicting devastating status. Registeel, as mentioned earlier, can come in repeatedly, and the combination of the two above Pokemon make Raikou very weak against stall teams unless he is given a large amount of support from teammates like a Pursuit user, Magneton, and/or Dugtrio - hardly a case of "sweeping wiht little effort." Registeel basically always comes with Seismic Toss or Earthquake, and usually Thunder Wave, as well, which Raikou can't afford to take. It also normally gets a free SR up at Raikou's expense.

Raikou also has a lot of counters created by the fact it can only carry one Hidden Power. I think if it had hidden power always SE it might be borderline indeed, but with some simple scouting for what HP it has early in the match, teams often find they have a counter for it they didn't even plan to use as such. Non-HP Grass/Water versions are frightened by Rhyperior, whose Solid Rock allows it to survive even +1 LO Hidden Powers with a reasonable defensive investment (it takes around 260 EVs to survive that hidden power + Stealth Rock from a Timid Raikou, which is hardly unreasonable for a Pokemon that rarely invests in speed) and crush it with Earthquake, or even potentially deal some surprise damage through Substitute with Rock Blast. Raikous who are playing with more conservative movesets don't even come close to a kill with HP Ice, with the conservative booster barely doing 60% to the same Rhyperior after one Calm Mind. Anything but HP Ice causes Raikou to be walled by the omnipresent Venusaur, who was #1 in usage last month and never seems to fall out of the top three. Even the Offensive Booster only does about 60% with a +1 LO HP Ice to a 252 HP/0 SDef Calm Venusaur, which is much less investment than a Venusaur ordinarily has. In the same matchup, Thunderbolt is doing a piddly 29% average, while Venusaur is most likely firing off Earthquakes, doing around 80% with 160 attack Evs, or about 68% with zero. The former EQ is almost a guaranteed KO after the LO recoil and SR damage. Even stuff like Donphan is usually EVed to survive a hidden power from the offensive version or two from the conservative one in order to OHKO back with EQ.

Most teams carry a ground type that threatens it, most teams carry something that can outrun it (usually scarfed), and most teams carry something that walls it. There are numerous ways to run Raikou's day for most teams.

While its usage is confusingly low, like in Advance, Dugtrio is also instant death for a Raikou caught without a substitute. While Shed Shell exists now, Raikou is never seen with it, and loses some needed offensive power if it does. Dugtrio can be EVed to survive Hidden Power with a minor Special Defense investment to serve as a more reliable counter for the legendary tiger. Dugtrio is hardly an irrelevant point, since it's sitting there waiting to be used and kills a lot of other important Pokemon in the metagame right now as well, such as Absol. Dugtrio's existence hurts Raikou's potential effectiveness significantly. Combined with the many Pokemon that easily wall it and the need to scout for Dugtrio, Raikou is often best left for the late game, where Pokemon tends to be somewhat of a toss-up anyway based on which sides hidden Pokemon best deals with the other's.

There are also a variety of other slightly less conventional counters for Raikou, such as Hariyama, Regirock, Clefable (especially with Encore), Regice, Steelix somewhat depending on Hidden Power (although being only 2x weak he's usually pretty safe), Nidoqueen, and Umbreons that actually have attacks. Some of these mons are only really feasible on stall, but it is a fairly large segment of the metagame that he can't tear through without his teammates helping him out.

There also a variety of other Pokemon like Torterra, Tangrowth and the Water/Grass Pokemon that stop Raikou cold if he lacks the appropriate, super-effective Hidden Power. Regardless of which HP he is using (or which EV spread), there are a huge amount of Pokemon that check or counter him. Raikou will normally need at least 2 to 3 specific members of the opposing team removed for him in order to cause any real damage, which can be said for basically any sweeper.

The main complaint with Raikou is typically it's ability to "set up" on "most" of the metagame.I like working off of the top 15 Pokemon or so (which are the only ones used in > 10% of battles), so looking at January's stats, I'd say the spread looks something like this:

Pokemon Raikou sets up on: Mismagius (if Raikou comes in first), Milotic, Froslass, Uxie (depending on play), Spiritomb (though most sets nowdays can't be set up on easily)
Pokemon that counter Raikou: Venusaur, Cresselia, Registeel,
Pokemon that Raikou doesn't set up on: Donphan, Rhyperior, Arcanine, GonZ
Pokemon that give Raikou a bloody nose with priority: Ambipom, Hitmontop
Other: Raikou itself

The trick with Raikou setting up is that it can certainly abuse special attackers because of it's much, much stronger special defense stat (base 100 vs. 75 for defense) and substitute + Calm Mind, but with UU having much better special walls than physical walls, much like OU physical attackers more common than special attackers, reducing the Pokemon he can potentially set up on. Also detrimental is the fact many special attackers are smart in the developers eyes, which entitles them to Trick - something Raikou really doesn't want to fall victim to. Of the Pokemon he theoretically sets up on in the top 15, every single one is capable of trickscarfing. I'm honestly a little disappointed about how few Pokemon he "sets up on" in DPP UU... I won hundreds of games in Advance with Sub CM bullshit, but it just isn't what it once was, and neither is Raikou.

Raikou is a useful Pokemon, as is indicated by his strong usage numbers, but there are plenty of things in the metagame that prevent him from being too powerful to fit in. The metagame has already done a pretty swell job of adapting to his addition - Raikou is most definitely UU.

Damp Rock
Damp Rock

You'll notice I have a very user-centric argument here. I think it is a very different game arguing about Damp Rock than with a Pokemon.

We're essentially arguing to ban a style rather than a Pokemon, which obviously is what the characteristics are designed to explain the effect of. As such, I'm focusing mostly on players, and how they do with rain versus other styles, because I think the best way to figure out "Is Damp Rock too powerful?" is to start with "Is Rain too powerful in its current inception?" I've spent a lot of time seeing how players do with rain versus other styles... in theory, if playing as Rain instead of a more conventional style generally causes players to get to higher ratings than they would otherwise get, rain is probably too good, and thus we would need to do something about rain, either by removing the 'Rock or by removing a rain sweeper.

I've flip flopped on this one. I doubt anyone but maybe FlareBlitz has played more Rain games than I have this term, and when I first started using rain I was convinced it belonged in borderline. I remember when I first started using the team I told Jabba I was pretty sure I could climb as high as I wanted using my rain team. It seemed like that for a long while - my deviation was a little lower than I'd prefer since it made me go up slower and end up lower than I might have otherwise, but I ended up getting to 1600 or so pretty easily. Once I got there, however, people had started to adapt...

First it was a lot of stupid gimmick teams. People were trying to counter team Rain with Sun (which works surprisingly well if they use the faster set-up mons or simply more of them, as you'd expect from a team that focuses on grass Pokemon fighting one that focuses on water Pokemon) and similar stupid shit. However, at this point in the ladder I also started pulling harder matches because of my higher rating, and

I quickly found most people were at the top for a reason. People were grossly misplaying SD Ludicolo much less, were pressuring me better, and were making much more intelligent use of strong counter Pokemon like Toxicroak, but also of Pokemon like Milotic and Venusaur in order to combat my rain. I had quite a few nights at this point where my rating ended up around where I started or slightly lower at the end of nights, and I really do feel like the people on the top of the ladder caught on to rain to the point they were better off because I was playing it. I ended up capping out around 1637 CRE, and I think at that point my win% would be higher using a more conventional team. Flare has also never gotten much higher than this with a rain team, and I know a lot of other quality players I respect, like whistle (who apparently couldn't top 1400 CRE with it) and Heysup, have had very little success with Rain teams. I hit the ladder harder than I have in about 8 months so it's tough for me to compare my ratings with past performances, but my leader board position was about where it always was. I was actually getting frustrated with my team because I felt like it was making it more difficult to play against tough opponents since it was difficult to adapt to their styles when it should have been necessary. Rain is about as inflexible as it gets.

A lot of players on top of the ladder- Silent Verse is probably the best example - are running teams that aren't super anti-rain centric, with maybe Toxicroak and some typical defensive pivots like Milotic and Venusaur, yet beat rain very consistently and handily. The leader board is hardly full of rain teams even so. In fact, outside of Flare's alt and my Teifu account, I don't think anyone in the top 50 as of the time of my writing this is actually using rain consistently. It does an excellent job of crushing poor players who don't switch enough to waste rain turns, who don't pressure to prevent Swords Dance and to get kills on sweepers, or are otherwise completely under-prepared, and then struggles against better players who play against rain better with teams prepared to handle it. I think it is also worth noting rain has been basically has it is for many, many months now and was not "called out" until this period. Many of us have always felt it was an annoying style, but "annoying" does not mean broken. I think it is much the same as Froslass where there is a loud following of players who want to remove it because they don't like playing against it rather than because it is objectively broken.

Players who overestimate and underestimate rain seem to have one thing in common: the idea that rain takes very little thought or effort to play in both the battling and team creation stages. There's people like Twist of Fate, who argue that rain sucks because it takes no skill, or people like Smurf., who think it is too good because it takes no skill. Both sides are wrong, of course. The most interesting part of this complaining to me is how many poorly constructed rain teams there are. I feel the key to running rain effectively is playing it a lot more conservatively than most people do. I never sacrifice my set-up mons if I can afford it, I switch intelligently when I need to to use my Pokemon's resistances (good luck winning leaving Omastar out with Milotic and such), and my rain set-up Pokemon were chosen to support my team beyond simply setting up rain. I run Raikou to help deal with other waters, Toxicroak, Poliwrath, and psuedohaze, for instance, and I know Flare likes to run Psychic types to help fight Toxicroak and Poliwrath for similar reasons. I know I've seen a lot of rain teams using different sweepers than I use, too. Gorebyss vs. Omastar is obvious, but many teams choose not to use Qwilfish, or run Aqua Jet on it if they do, or run Return on it for coverage, or use specs on Omastar and/or Gorebyss... or maybe they run teams that are completely different stylistically, like a team Flare sometimes uses that intentionally slows down the game's tempo and focuses on getting entry hazards up before trying to sweep with rain.

My point in the above paragraph being that a big part of why rain is viewed as something that should be removed is less an issue of objective power and more than people feel it removes too much of the skill element of the game, which I think the above illustrates is not the case.

There are a lot of team decisions that have to be made, but from a team creation standpoint and from a combat decision standpoint. No one with any ability is losing to teams that are just spamming Waterfall or whatever, and most skilled players aren't losing to rain teams period. I think that there is a great deal that can be done with rain to be explored, however, and that another 4-6 weeks of it being more popular would lead to more innovation. Some of the less inept players using it is causing players to look at it differently, but not necessarily causing them to look at it any harder right now.

Going a bit deeper on why I think the complaint's are largely due to player laziness and mistakes, let's look at Narulyg's nomination (who, to his credit, only ladders with a sun team that is a pure rain counter to begin with...)

Narulyg said:
1. Dance
2. Switch/U-Turn
3. Swords Dance

4. Sweep
5. Sweep
6. Sweep
7. Sweep
8. Sweep
9. Switch
10. Dance
11. Switch/U-turn
12. Swords Dance?

As you can see, three turns of setup yields five turns of sweep. The turns that are italicized represent turns where your opponent more or less gets free shots at your team. If you count switching back to a Dancer, you're sweeping 5 turns out of 9.
I think he brings up several interesting points, even though the original context is explaining that Damp Rock's removal makes rain much weaker, which I agree with, but am obviously not of the opinion that rain needs to be nerfed. I don't think 5:4 is so imbalanced when you consider that the rain team is completely defenseless those first three turns and on turn 9, but things are obviously more complicated than that in a real battle.

Before turn 1 of that even begins, if I am running a non-rain team I am making damn sure that I have something that is going to counter a rain lead in my first slot. Trickscarf is definitely the most common way for teams to start a battle right now, which hurts rain by reducing the initial rain to 5 turns, knocking those "sweep" turns down to 2. Another good, popular method is a faster taunt makes the beginning of the game much more challenging for a rain team, but the key either way is that the next move (and probably the next two moves) are now completely obvious. I don't think anything is more detrimental to winning in Pokemon than playing predictably, and rain has an issue with being so - especially with this purely offensive outlook. After the Rain Dance, the opponent can certainly expect a sweeper coming in, so catching them on the switch with T-Wave or a powerful attack helps keep momentum from slipping away early. I know I've been fucking around with Taunt/Fake Out/Grass Knot/Return Ambipom a bit, which is really niche but OHKOs the 4x grass weak Pokemon on the switch or does 90%~ to Qwilfish and Ludicolo. When turn 3 rolls around, one has to expect that Swords Dance from Ludicolo, Qwilfish, or Kabutops, so maybe you should, oh, I don't know, attack or disable it!? I can not even count how many times I have played games this period where I was against

Froslass leads and it went something like this

Froslass Taunts, I U-turn my Uxie out to Raikou
Raikou Rain Dances, Froslass Taunts or Spikes
I switch to Ludicolo, Froslass Spikes

And then oh, what do we have here? For whatever reason no one seems to be running Thunder Wave on their Froslass, or they're simply clueless.

In this match up they either switch out to help giving me a free Swords Dance, or use Ice Beam or Spikes... giving me a free Swords Dance.

Rain didn't "create" that momentum, my opponent did for playing against an offensive strategy too passively. That's not to say triple spiking is the worst move for every team, either! A flaw in Rain is that the opponent does get those first two to three turns to set-up, and sometimes that can work to Rain's detriment rather than to its advantage. I've faced some really good stall teams that are almost unbeatable if I give them those three turns of spikes. The spikes add a ton of damage, and once they start their switching between defensive pivots I can't OHKO that threaten my active Pokemon later in the match, and I get worn down really quickly by the forced switching. It was actually really nice to see after smearing psycho's terrible stall so consistently - I find well played stall almost impossible to beat with an aggressive rain team unless it makes the mistake (which negates well played, I guess) of switching Chansey into a Swords Dance. And unlike what FlareBlitz has said in the topic, I definitely do find teams that are simply bad matches for rain - specifically those featuring more than 2-3 of the following Pokemon, some Trick Room set ups (rare), and Sun teams in general that are played by smart players since they tend to have more room for Sunny Day on their movesets then rain has for Rain Dance (and sun's popularity is definitely rising).

It's worth noting in the whole turn chart thing that if your opponent is silly enough to be running Electrode you know on turn zero what they are doing, which makes playing appropriately against it even easier.

There are, of course, an awful lot of Pokemon that counter most of the rain sweepers. There's no such thing as a Pokemon that "counters Damp Rock (choice scarf knock off ?????)," since what's actually being discussed is rain, so let's look at some excellent anti-rain Pokemon.

From The Top 20 Most Used Pokemon:

Venusaur - Maybe the quintessential defensive UU Pokemon, Venu has a water resist, the ability sleep something (and really, losing anything to sleep is devastating for Rain), can carry coverage moves to hit any of the rain sweepers for Super Effective damage, and has recovery available.

Cresselia - Even Adamant LO +2 Kabutops can't OHKO with Waterfall, allowing for an annoying Reflect or Twave. Dual Screen in general also tends to muck with rain pretty significantly, which Alakazam and Uxie can do as well.

Registeel - Though he needs to T-Wave, since he doesn't threaten back with anything too strong. Seismic Toss does hurt the low HP sweepers, however.

Ambipom - Fake Out wastes a turn of rain and rips into the non-/Rock rain sweepers. I know at least against me, this forces a switch

Hitmontop - See Ambipom, except it gets to mach punch Omastar and Kabutops to boot

Spiritomb - Resttalk stalling

Clefable - Isn't OHKOd by any rain Pokemon before SD, specially defensive version shuts down Gorebyss and Omastar

Raikou with Choice Scarf - Strange but used, trashes all but Jolly Qwil and Kabutops, sometimes survives Jolly Qwil anyway

Anti-rain Specialists outside the top 20:

Chansey - Destroys special Ludicolo and beats Omastar and Gorebyss unless entry hazards are stacked up and the special sweepers are hitting

with Hydro Miss. Also has the advantage of being one of few pokemon who can justify running the always annoying Protect, which wastes a valuable turn of rain and lets Leftovers tick to move out of potential 2HKO range much of the time.

Dugtrio - Strange inclusion, but he does a heck of a job messing shit up after Rain fades. He smashes Omastar and Qwilfish instantly if he can catch them without rain and does great damage to Gorebyss and to a lesser extent Ludicolo. Raikou is the most popular secondary rain set-up Pokemon other than maybe Cresselia (who is soon to be gone anyway, most likely) and obviously dies instantly to Dugtrio too, possibly before getting to set rain up.

Absol (scarf or CB) - Scarf is more practical against most teams, but Sucker Punch lets it revenge everything but Kabutops and its Aqua Jet.

Does signifcant damage to the rest, including 70% to Qwilfish and 65% to Ludicolo with Scarf. Can also be used to kill most of the set-up Pokemon before they RD by smacking the psychics with Night Slash, at worst ensures they can only set rain up once.

Sceptile (scarf) - Another one of those rare but super devastating sets, 509 speed when Modest outruns Omastar, Gorebyss, and Adamant Ludicolo in the rain, and Timid's 558 outruns everything but Jolly Qwilfish and Kabutops.

Priority as a whole - the two main users are top 20, but priority is a big problem for these frail sweepers counting on going first.

Jolly Kabutops - Perfectly playable on a non-rain team, outruns everything but Jolly Qwilfish and other Jolly Kabutops (who it ties, obviously), really puts a kink in rain by using its own weather against it.

Toxicroak - Cresselia had its usage at all time low, but Toxicroak has always been a pretty strong Pokemon with nasty plot or subpunch and it is coming back because of being great against rain. Usually resists everything Kabutops throws at it and everything Qwilfish has less Explosion, and forces Ludicolo to use weak Ice Punches or Ice Beams. The only rain Pokemon that scare it at all are Omastar (Land Power) and

Gorebyss (Psychic), and Omastar takes big damage from Vacuum Wave. Can even run Sucker Punch on physical sets to add more priority.

Poliwrath - Very niche, but boasts many of the advantages Toxicroak does with similar resistances to everything Kabutops has, as well as some bonuses (resisting everything but Poison Jab, Seed Bomb/Energy Ball, and potentially HP Grass from the special sweepers), but with the advantage of being able to be disruptive with moves like Hypnosis, Encore, and Substitute.

Rain features a lot of redundant coverage, which tends to be a big disadvantage in dealing with the above Pokemon. All rain sweepers run a water move that they desperately want to spam, since it is the only move that gets the damage bonus from rain. As such, water resists are super key to play around, but that's the thing with rain - you have to actually play around the other team and it has to actually play around you (contrary to what popular belief seems to be). Venusaur and Milotic, first and seventh in usage respectively, are ofen almost enough to defeat rain on their own if played well. No rain sweeper OHKOs a defensive version of either Pokemon unboosted outside of Explosion (and the ever danagerous SD Ludicolo doesn't even OHKO physically defensive Venusaur after a SD, meaning its a 3HKO under normal circumstances - way too little damage for a team that is playing with a turn timer), but it all comes down which team is making the better predictions... sound like a normal game of Pokemon to you?

It's worth noting that there are also a lot of pokemon capable of basically ending the game on their own if they get in while rain is down, such as SD Venusaur, Raikou, and many Choice pokemon, since Rain teams by design have a lot of common weaknesses. This type redundancy and predictability also makes rain much easier to play against than any other strategy, since you know basically that I probably have 3-4 from a pool of 5 sweepers, 4 of which basically only run one set well, the moment you see rain start falling. The Pokemon supporting them can change the game, but when it boils down to it when preparing for rain you know exactly what the offensive threats you need to cover are. Information is probably the most important currency in Pokemon, and rain is forced to play with half its cards face-up.

To tie it all together, Rain is a powerful strategy, but it is not even the best strategy for most players. As such banning Damp Rock, a move that would be made exclusively to weaken a style that already has better alternatives, seems foolish to me. Contrary to what Heysup and ToF seem to think, removing Damp Rock would definitely neuter the style, and there's just no reason to do anything to do it right now since it has enough faults as is. Damp Rock is UU.

Cresselia
I really didn't feel like bothering with this, but I figured I'd best not take any chances. Probably not of the quality of my other votes, but ah, whatever...

I really tried to give Cresselia a chance.

I spent the first four days of this period whining to anyone who would listen (which, as it tends to work for whining, wasn't really much of anyone) that we should get rid of Cress before the period ended. That it obviously wasn't working, that there was very little point in ruining the period by keeping it around.

It became obvious quickly that this wasn't going to happen, so I tried to deal with it. I used it for a while, and while I haven't seen February stats if they exist I'd be shocked if it wasn't in the top 3 most used Pokemon. Experience has shown that while Cress isn't quite as good as I thought... it's awfully close.

It's not to be overlooked that Cresselia has the lone spot of being the highest BST Pokemon in UU. While most of the other high BST mons have glaring weaknesses that placed them in UU to begin with, like Stealth Rock weaknesses or poor stat allocation, Cresselia's stats couldn't have be distributed much better than they are. 120 in HP and both defenses makes it the best general defensive Pokemon in the tier (and one of the best in the game completely at absorbing hits), and 85 Speed and 75 Special Attack are still respectable for a wall - it's not that many points behind Pokemon like Nidoking(85) and Toxicroak (86), who frequently function as Special sweepers.

Its incredible defensive stats allow it to mindlessly stall out almost any Pokemon, as well as switch into basically anything with no inhibitions. With only 252 EVs invested in HP defensively (much less than most Cresselia run) it can switch into Moltres's Fire Blast and survive half the time to Thunder Wave and start Moonlighting back to life, and most Cresselia run significantly more investment than that - Even 100 Special Defensive EVs and no personality boost brings the average damage down to 48%, enough that it will survive every time. The other suspects fair significantly worse - a 252 Special Attack EVed Timid LO Raikou will only do 33% with Thunderbolt to the same unrealistically specially vulnerable Cresselia. While doing the above, if it happens to be Bold and put another safe-to-assume 100 EVs in defense, It manages to survive Waterfall from _Adamant +2 LO Kabutops in the Rain_ 100% of the time, taking an average of 88%. These are some of the most powerful attackers in the tier - a majority of the Pokemon are barely scratching it.

Perhaps the most telling part of its "suspect" influence is the rise of basically every dark type in the tier. I don't have the February stats to prove it (come ON Doug hook me UP), but I don't think at any time playing UU I've seen so much Umbreon, Spiritomb, or Absol. I think Cresselia's presence had a lot to do with the rise of Rain, too, as winning conventionally has become a lot less appealing to players who don't want to get bogged down in the Cresselia stall game. In the first week it was on the ladder I played 8 games where one side or the had to win the game by PP stalling a Cresselia, which was deterrent enough that I stopped using it. It seems like almost every team is running a Trickscarf or two now, and I would also blame Cresselia for the surge in that tactic.

Perhaps the most ridiculous part of the Cresselia is the fact that while it has a flimsy offensive movepool, it is the best at basically every support role it can fufill. Need a Pokemon to set up Rain or Sun? It'd be glad to do it more than once, thanks to its ridiculous bulk. It can even take the best attacks from the opposing weather sweepers and live to flip the weather, a great crutch for poorly played weather teams. Want Light Screen, Reflect, or both? Nothing with it is more durable; simply by existing Cresselia has completely kicked Uxie out of that role. Nothing else takes hits and dishes out the Thunder Waves as well, either - even Registeel seems to be declining a bit because of her, and together they disable teams too easily. Unlike basically every UU wall (see: Regis, Uxie, Spiritomb), Cresselia also has reliable recovery available, and a giant HP base to restore a greater amount of health by using it than Pokemon like Venusaur (base 80 HP) and Milotic (95), without the liabilities of a Chansey. The pink abomination is another Pokemon who Cress has almost forced into obsolesce for many teams, performing nearly as well when EVed to deal with Special Attacks, with the ability to take physical attacks when surprised.

There's more to Cress than just her walling, though. Her ridiculous defensive ability allows her to pull off several durable stat-up sets. Calm Mind + Resttalk, Sub + Calm Mind, and even the status vulnerable CM/Moonlight sets are all very powerful because its ridiculous defenses make it that much tougher to take down as its statting up. When left without a Psychic resist, the Sleep Talk set can slowly end many games just by virtue of most Pokemon being incapable of 2 or even 3HKOing a Bold max hp/def Cresselia with a Calm Mind or two.

It even has some more ridiculous unique tricks like Lunar Dance to help support specific team types. It is effective no matter what it does, and is almost a defensive equivalent to Salamence in OU - it can do so many things well, and misplaying it with anything but a stall team is a good way to get a sweeper disable or to risk putting yourself in a situation where you're getting swept by a freaking wall.

Speaking of Uxie earlier, they're awfully similar on the surface. Both defensive Psychic types with Levtiate, similar potential movesets. Same defense and special defense and... oh? What's that? Cresselia has _90_ more hit points, with base 130 HP vs. base 75? Uxie does have some advantages like Stealth Rock and U-turn, but this is a Pokemon that has been Top 8 or better for months. Do we really want a Pokemon that could easily be its evolution in the tier?

Cresselia is BL.

So is it rabbit season now?

Anyway, I'm curious as to what "special circumstances" means for Raikou. What exactly are they? And do these apply to Froslass too?

Maybe it's about time I made a new team and started laddering... Except I suck at team-building. Ah well. C'est la vie!

I am also really excited for this period, except that Froslass is still here. That's probably my fault :(

Here's my Paras for anyone who's interested:

So it's the exact same as before? sweet. I might actually get into UU again although I was hoping Moltres would leave

Edit: now hera needs to drop down

Finally i can ladder UU properly again. Hmm i want Gallade back. I'd like to exchange him with Froslass.

I'll admit it, I hated the Duck-filled metagame (almost quit Pogemon~) nevertheless there was some merit to it. I saw a lot of experimentation with several Pokemon; new pokes being using and/or new sets being tested.

I have a good feeling that my Entei lead will be making a comeback. Also, Hitmonlee was pretty darn effective even with Cressalia around and about... I expect him to rise to the top of the usuage board.

I think this metagame will be much more stable than the previous one, with the exception of Froslass most likely being on every team, but I really look forward to seeing the new threats that emerge as a result of Cressy's and PZ's departure.

Fuck rabbits, it's still bird season with Moltres + Swellow + Spikes.

I'm a little disappointed with Raikou being voted UU again, I mean, in my Cresselia + Raikou team I rarely even use Cresselia since Raikou is usually 5-0ing the opponent. Oh well.

I'm going to miss Cresselia, it really made this metagame a Froslass/Absol playground.

Absol will at least have a niche: destroying Rain and stall (minus Kabutops, who it still hurts).

I'll probably attempt to make a serious Raikou team this round as well since it will be quite easy to dominate "everything" with (Moltres, Rain, Froslass all dominated by Raikou).

I'll post my paragraphs upon request.

Also, Kabutops is a sexy lead for this metagame. It takes out Froslass who only gets 1 layer of Spikes (that can be spun the turn after) and it also fucks with Rain leads.

I'd probably even ditch Rapid Spin and run Stealth Rock / Stone Edge / Waterfall / Aqua Jet.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had a feeling the vote for Cress or PZ would be a little closer due to the number of BL naysayers I've been hearing out and about, but it looks like most of them didn't even bother voting. It kind of defeats the purpose arguing things to hell and back when you can't even bother to make your voice heard.

But I digress; what's done is done. My main team was all about Cress and PZ and with my MVPs gone, it looks like I'll have to resort to using skill to win. :OOOO

I'm a little disappointed with Raikou being voted UU again, I mean, in my Cresselia + Raikou team I rarely even use Cresselia since Raikou is usually 5-0ing the opponent.
Quoted for truth and because i am in agreement.

np: UU - Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head
What an amazing name...

I have a good feeling that my Entei lead will be making a comeback. Also, Hitmonlee was pretty darn effective even with Cressalia around and about... I expect him to rise to the top of the usuage board.
Wow those are two of the pokes i have been using alot. I use Crotei which is supreme.
I very much doubt hitmonlee usuage will spike, even if it deserves to.

I'm a little disappointed with Raikou being voted UU again, I mean, in my Cresselia + Raikou team I rarely even use Cresselia since Raikou is usually 5-0ing the opponent. Oh well.

I'm going to miss Cresselia, it really made this metagame a Froslass/Absol playground.

Absol will at least have a niche: destroying Rain and stall (minus Kabutops, who it still hurts).

I'll probably attempt to make a serious Raikou team this round as well since it will be quite easy to dominate "everything" with (Moltres, Rain, Froslass all dominated by Raikou).

I'll post my paragraphs upon request.

Also, Kabutops is a sexy lead for this metagame. It takes out Froslass who only gets 1 layer of Spikes (that can be spun the turn after) and it also fucks with Rain leads.

I'd probably even ditch Rapid Spin and run Stealth Rock / Stone Edge / Waterfall / Aqua Jet.
I'm a huge fan of Waterfall over Rapid Spin on Lead Kabutops because it really allows it to beat many leads that it should be able to beat, as well as giving you a reliable STAB (Stone Edge is by no means reliable imo).

Aww. Porygon-Z is gone. :(

Anyway, I'm pretty glad Cresselia is gone. She was a bitch. Now I'm not forced to run Spiritomb on every team.

Glad to see Raikou is here to stay, barring special circumstances.

And the thread title should've been Duck Hunting Season.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Great metagame now from what I'm seeing. However, I'm still a bit disappointed that Froslass and Damp Rock is still around. The good news around this is that Porygon-Z is now gone and I can finally plan stall without running something like Mach Punch Hitmontop or Sucker Punch Spiritomb to check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)