np: BW OU Suspect Testing Round 12 - Always (I Wanna Be With You) [SEE POST #263]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when HGSS came out, and a big fuss was made over Head Smash Aggron? It was the trendy pokemon of the moment, because it possessed the power to straight-up OHKO moderately-bulky neutral offensive mons, a feat uncommon if not unheard-of at the time. Now fast forward to BW2, and virtually every respectable OU powerhouse can claim the same. The crazy power surge of BW has, perhaps rightly, very much desensitised the competitive community to pokemon that carry a level of offensive power that is problematic or detrimental to the metagame. Terrakion was one example of this, and it seems this thread is heading towards a consensus that, with Scarf or Expert Belt, Keldeo becomes just another of the many Very Good Pokemon that collectively are far too ubiquitous and far too widely-accepted to do anything about.

I'd agree with this conclusion actually. Scarf Keldeo may be very damaging to offense, and Expert Belt reduces the number of Keldeo's counters even further, but they are nothing unique, in that these are exactly the qualities you'd hope and expect to ascribe to a fast, powerful offensive threat when holding these two items. To my mind, this pony's real trick is the near-inescapable devastation that it can cause with just a single move on its Choice Specs set. Just to be clear, in the rest of this post I'll be talking about Specs Keldeo's damage output with the assumption that Drizzle is active. I think this is not an unfair condition to expect, as Drizzle is undeniably the easiest weather to sustain, and its inducer is the most common in OU.

I'll try and be direct, since this may be a long post: my opinion that Keldeo needs to be banned comes down to the fact that no resist in OU (outside of SpD Tentacruel and this hipster Latias set I've been using) can adequately handle Specs Keldeo. And no, I'm not excluding lower-tier resists like Amoonguss and Slowking, so for once the solution isn't "be more creative"; Specs Keldeo can 2HKO every single one of them, with rocks up, most with Hydro Pump alone. (I feel almost tempted to drop in a calc for Amoonguss, since many posters in this thread don't seem to realise just how absurdly powerful Hydro Pump is -- yes, it is 2HKOd over half of the time). The few resists that can reliably tank two Hydro Pumps become useless should they make just one mistake -- switching into a coverage move and being threatened with a 2HKO, or failing to use a recovery move on the turn that Keldeo switches out -- or take a tiny bit or prior damage, as they then cannot safely switch into Hydro Pump when Keldeo returns. Even the 12.5% of residual damage from switching into Stealth Rock is enough that any OU water resist can be 2HKOd by Hydro Pump the next time it tries to block Keldeo's attack.
Lati@s both fall to a similar fate: even if not hit by Icy Wind or Hidden Power, Keldeo's 'best check', LO Latias, is nothing more than a one-time switch. It takes far more damage from Hydro Pump and SR than it can recover in the turn that Keldeo switches out -- so much in fact that even without rocks, Modest Keldeo (which is entirely viable) can one-shot it the next time it comes in. Latios comes uncomfortably close to being OHKOd after rocks by Modest Specs Hydro Pump the first time it pokes its head round the corner.

The result of all this is that any team not carrying a water immunity is weak to Specs Keldeo, as nothing but a water immunity can make it unprofitable for Keldeo to spam its most powerful attack. Nothing short of a water immunity can switch into Hydro Pump after taking so much as one extra round of SR damage. Therefore, in order to adequately handle this one move of this one set of this one pokemon, an OU player can choose between a grand total of three viable pokemon. And if that pokemon is Gastrodon or offensive Toxicroak, you'd better have a backup fighting resist/immunity to sponge Keldeo's second move. Teams are forced to choose from one of the three water immunities, primarily to handle Keldeo -- if this isn't the very archetype of a 'centralising' pokemon, then I honestly do not know what is. Put simply: resists mean shit to Keldeo.

If you aren't convinced by 'centralisation' arguments (although I don't see why you shouldn't be, given the evidence), personally I feel that a pokemon with a move that 2HKOs its bulkiest resists is unhealthy for the metagame because it undermines the very operation or mechanism by which competitive battling is possible, namely tactical switching. Reduced down to its simplest form, competitive pokemon can be compared to rock-paper-scissors. If it turns out that scissors not only beats paper, but also rock despite being nominally resisted by it, then something is very wrong. It would be meaningless to call such a game 'competitive', as the pool of counters to scissors has been whittled down to zero. Proportionally, Specs Keldeo achieves a similar thing; its sheer power removes its would-be counters and checks, until all that's left is a thimbleful of 'exceptions'. In doing so, it compromises the balance of the metagame and reduces the very possibility of having, or switching into a counter. In case anybody's wondering, yes I would level the same criticism at Darmanitan, but the comparitively low popularity of Darm and its favourite weather mean that it currently does not have this effect on the metagame, though it well could.

In this post, I have not discussed the small things that make Keldeo more suited to performing its role than Darm and others, and more able in practice to fulfil its devastating theorymon potential -- its critical base 108 Spe, it's SR resist, its Pursuit resist, its priority resists, its outstanding offensive and defensive typing, its lack of a 'lock-in' move that would facilitate revenge killing, its favourable matchup against all unfavourable weather-setters, etc.

I haven't talked about the ways in which Specs Keldeo can easily break even these water immunities, from Hidden Power to simple Spikes support.

I haven't mentioned the other sets that Keldeo can run, which deal with these defensive threats more confidently, while the defending team is simultaneously expected to prepare for Specs Keldeo as well.

I haven't opined on how much (subjectively) better the suspect ladder was than the OU ladder, owing to the varied team structures that are currently made unviable by Keldeo alone.

But were it not for any of these factors, I would still be voting to ban Keldeo. Even if there was no possibility of other Keldeo sets, I would be happy to vote ban on the Specs damage alone and the centralisation it necessitates, and would feel I had made the right choice in doing so. I'm so sorry for the tl;dr post, but I'm a little late to this discussion and to see so many people wandering over to the side of "no ban" is a tiny bit frightening at this late stage!

I don't understand why "being restrective on teambuilding" is even an argument.
The problem is that when you're forced to run certain specific Keldeo counters as opposed to general rain counters/water resists it restricts teambuilding to a point where its unhealthy for the metagame. For example, mons like Rotom-W and Ferrothorn that would otherwise be excellent counters to most rain threats end up being ineffective against Keldeo due to Secret Sword, not to mention still taking a sizeable amount of damage from pump despite resisting and defensive investment. You're limited to running niche pokemon like Toxicroak, Amoonguss, and the like which can be difficult to fit on teams or things like Lati@s and Celebi which come with their own set of drawbacks, notably weakness to the ebelt set and pursuit.

Words of wisdom
Sums it up pretty well, I'd say.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
jpw234 said:
Mhm, so I guess we should unban Deoxys-D, right? It could run HP Fire to get around Forretress, or Magic Coat to get around faster Taunt leads, or Psycho Boost to get past Tentacruel, or Skill Swap to beat Espeon/Xatu...but it can't "get past all of them at the same time" so who cares? We should probably unban Excadrill, who was hard countered by several common pokemon in OU including Hippowdon, Skarmory andAir Balloon Terrakion Gliscor.
This logic makes no sense. Deoxys-D was THE best hazard setter in the game. Its versatility in item and ability to defeat its few counters with the right move made it amazing. It was extremely bulky, and held an entire playstyle up on its own weight. Even Custap Skarmory cannot and will not produce results like Deoxys-D did. Keldeo and Deoxys-D are incomparable.

Excadrill? I might not agree with its ban, but we're talking a Pokemon that redefined Speed (I mean INVALIDATING SCARFERS), made a playstyle a million times more viable, one which has never really recovered. Its existence forced players to adapt in many ways. Gliscor was TOP TEN at one point. It also had utility as the best offensive spinner in the game, Steel typing, a very strong STAB Earthquake, and could not be revenge killed in the same way.

Just noting that these threats had so much more than Keldeo.

Teams are forced to choose from one of the three water immunities, primarily to handle Keldeo -- if this isn't the very archetype of a 'centralising' pokemon, then I honestly do not know what is. Put simply: resists mean shit to Keldeo.
Yeah ok, and the next is Analytic Starmie so (Jellicent deads of Thunder, Celebi is 2hkoed by analytic ice beam + normal ice beam damage, and so on)
the next is Politoed

the problem is not Keldeo itself, but the rain

You didnt mention also the fact being locked in a move (also HPump over rain) let the opponent give the chance of setup on this
Choices pokèmon are so strong, you're right, but locking in one move (if this is not in a clear part of game when you smashed all resistors) means give the opponent a good advantage to setup on you and maybe win the match

Starmie can be handled through the proper use of prediction as is liable to be pursuit trapped. Also, after the initial analytic boost on the switch, it's moves don't hit with the same intensity that Keldeo's do constantly. Also, since you're arguing the Keldeo is set up fodder if choice spec'd or scarfed in the rain, you're wrong. You can force him out by using mons like jellicent or tentacruel, but isn't exactly a plethora of offensive mons that can set up a a rain boosted hydro pump off keldeo. And even then, Keldeo can switch out, and come in with an appropriate counter for whatever you were doing. Yes, that may cost you a turn, but most of Keldeo's checks have hard counters that are already fairly common too.

Keldeo centralizes the metagame the same way excadrill did; we used to see conkeldur and skarm everywhere just to take him on. Now we're seeing slowking and latias, amongst a few others. Yes the latter may be popular, but Keldeo has such a large offensive presence that either you run them, or get stomped by any decent team using keldeo. And it's not that Keldeo is promoting variety, but rather we are being forced to run it's checks just to stay competitively viable. No other pokemon in OU does this to same extent as Keldeo is right now, and those in the past were promptly banned. Simply put, Keldeo limits variety in the metagame.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Haruno (and others who have made this argument),

Since when is "something else will just take its place, so why bother?" a valid no ban argument?

We are striving to create a more perfect metagame. If that's without Keldeo, we should ban Keldeo. If that's also without the next Keldeo, (Analytic Starmie apparently, according to many,) then we should ban that next Poke too, when the time comes.

Haruno (and others who have made this argument),

Since when is "something else will just take its place, so why bother?" a valid no ban argument?

We are striving to create a more perfect metagame. If that's without Keldeo, we should ban Keldeo. If that's also without the next Keldeo, (Analytic Starmie apparently, according to many,) then we should ban that next Poke too, when the time comes.

Like Aldaron said and like the very post of this forum quoted him saying, we are not striving to create a "more perfect" metagame, the goal of this suspect test is to determine if keldeo is broken or not, not whether we like the metagame without keldeo better than the metagame with keldeo.

On a separate note we should also ask ourselves what has changed since the last time keldeo was suspected, which was January 2013. In case you don't know or don't remember, keldeo was suspected along with tornadus t, who was eventually banned. The votes for keldeo at the time were 62 do not ban, 11 ban, and 7 abstain. That was nothing less than a supermajority voting in favor of keeping keldeo OU. So what has changed for keldeo that makes people think it is ban worthy now opposed to before? We have not shifted metagames meaning the environment has barely changed around it and it has not acquired any new moves, only 3 pokemon have been banned since, none being counters and 1 perhaps being a partner in crime (tornadus t), and it has not gotten a blessing from the dream world released, so I see no reason how the metagame today is more centralized to keldeo than the metagame in January. And because in January keldeo was voted ou by nothing less than a blowout, I do not see how keldeo could possibly be broken now.

Last edited:
I don't think Keldeo is unique in that it forces people to run "suboptimal" sets or pokemon. For example, SR forces people to run Rapid Spin on things like Starmie; I'd much rather use another coverage move or maybe even recover/gravity instead (even though I'll miss those powerful, unstabbed, LO rapid spins :eek:). As a move, Rapid Spin is much worse than SR, using SR gives you an immediate advantage and helps you to win the game whereas RS (backwards SR) simply helps you to "not lose".

As another example, specially defensive Jirachi is one of the few true counters to Latios (I think that's a waste of offensive potential but mixed ebelt is starting to catch on...) and there's even a thread on using Sandstorm, Hail etc. (all suboptimal choices) to counter weather. Maybe this is a trait of broken things, I'm not sure, but I really can't justify banning Keldeo simply because "rain + specs hydro pump gg" or "pusuit + keldeo gg". My idea of an ideal metagame is one with Keldeo not without.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The only thing that changed between jan 2013 and now was there's no more torn-t which was rains biggest abuser at the time. In fact with the latest lando-I suspect it seemed more like we were testing keldeo instead of lando-I since it really grew popular then. However during its first suspect, was keldeo "broken"? Maybe but it was overshadowed by torn-t with its movepool and godlike speed (something which keldeo wishes it has) but more importantly Ty-tar wasn't as dominant in January as it is now. Before the torn-t ban we had torn-t that threatens it with superpower and even before that you had gene spamming uturn every other match, these factors really limited tytars usefulness and lando-I to an extent. Now that torn-t and gene got banned we moved onto threats that became better just by removing those two which would include keldeo and Ty-tar.

We're all familiar with how people whore the pursuit trapping phrase when it comes to keldeos checks but this phrase was unusable during its first suspect due to torn-t being far too large a threat so tytar wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Overall I think on why people are saying that keldeo is "broken" now as opposed to during torn-t's suspect is solely due to tytar being much better.

The only thing that changed between jan 2013 and now was there's no more torn-t which was rains biggest abuser at the time. In fact with the latest lando-I suspect it seemed more like we were testing keldeo instead of lando-I since it really grew popular then. However during its first suspect, was keldeo "broken"? Maybe but it was overshadowed by torn-t with its movepool and godlike speed (something which keldeo wishes it has) but more importantly Ty-tar wasn't as dominant in January as it is now. Before the torn-t ban we had torn-t that threatens it with superpower and even before that you had gene spamming uturn every other match, these factors really limited tytars usefulness and lando-I to an extent. Now that torn-t and gene got banned we moved onto threats that became better just by removing those two which would include keldeo and Ty-tar.

We're all familiar with how people whore the pursuit trapping phrase when it comes to keldeos checks but this phrase was unusable during its first suspect due to torn-t being far too large a threat so tytar wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Overall I think on why people are saying that keldeo is "broken" now as opposed to during torn-t's suspect is solely due to tytar being much better.

While I admit that you are certainly making a valid point, and I agree with you, tyranitar is certainly better now than it was before, and tyranitar is great at pursuit trapping Keldeo's checks and counters, that's not why most people are complaining about keldeo being broken. Many people, especially on this forum, are saying that keldeo is only broken in the rain, not on a sandstorm team with tyranitar. Almost every pro ban post has either complained about a specs hydro pump in the rain being too powerful, or a scarfed keldeo in the rain being like a swift swimmer, not tyranitar being capable of destroying Keldeo's checks and counters with pursuit. While tyranitar is certainly a boon added to Keldeo's name that was not present in january, it is not the reason why many consider keldeo broken today. The reasons they consider keldeo broken today were present in Janaury and in fact were present since the release of bw2.

Keldeo was voted so overwhelmingly OU because it was being suspected alongside Tornadus-T. When it was brought up as a suspect once again, the Council made the call to separate the tests between Landorus-I and Keldeo so there would not be a repeat of a suspected broken Pokemon flying under the radar because of a more prominent threat.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Remember when HGSS came out, and a big fuss was made over Head Smash Aggron? It was the trendy pokemon of the moment, because it possessed the power to straight-up OHKO moderately-bulky neutral offensive mons, a feat uncommon if not unheard-of at the time. Now fast forward to BW2, and virtually every respectable OU powerhouse can claim the same. The crazy power surge of BW has, perhaps rightly, very much desensitised the competitive community to pokemon that carry a level of offensive power that is problematic or detrimental to the metagame. Terrakion was one example of this, and it seems this thread is heading towards a consensus that, with Scarf or Expert Belt, Keldeo becomes just another of the many Very Good Pokemon that collectively are far too ubiquitous and far too widely-accepted to do anything about.

I'd agree with this conclusion actually. Scarf Keldeo may be very damaging to offense, and Expert Belt reduces the number of Keldeo's counters even further, but they are nothing unique, in that these are exactly the qualities you'd hope and expect to ascribe to a fast, powerful offensive threat when holding these two items. To my mind, this pony's real trick is the near-inescapable devastation that it can cause with just a single move on its Choice Specs set. Just to be clear, in the rest of this post I'll be talking about Specs Keldeo's damage output with the assumption that Drizzle is active. I think this is not an unfair condition to expect, as Drizzle is undeniably the easiest weather to sustain, and its inducer is the most common in OU.

I'll try and be direct, since this may be a long post: my opinion that Keldeo needs to be banned comes down to the fact that no resist in OU (outside of SpD Tentacruel and this hipster Latias set I've been using) can adequately handle Specs Keldeo. And no, I'm not excluding lower-tier resists like Amoonguss and Slowking, so for once the solution isn't "be more creative"; Specs Keldeo can 2HKO every single one of them, with rocks up, most with Hydro Pump alone. (I feel almost tempted to drop in a calc for Amoonguss, since many posters in this thread don't seem to realise just how absurdly powerful Hydro Pump is -- yes, it is 2HKOd over half of the time). The few resists that can reliably tank two Hydro Pumps become useless should they make just one mistake -- switching into a coverage move and being threatened with a 2HKO, or failing to use a recovery move on the turn that Keldeo switches out -- or take a tiny bit or prior damage, as they then cannot safely switch into Hydro Pump when Keldeo returns. Even the 12.5% of residual damage from switching into Stealth Rock is enough that any OU water resist can be 2HKOd by Hydro Pump the next time it tries to block Keldeo's attack.
Lati@s both fall to a similar fate: even if not hit by Icy Wind or Hidden Power, Keldeo's 'best check', LO Latias, is nothing more than a one-time switch. It takes far more damage from Hydro Pump and SR than it can recover in the turn that Keldeo switches out -- so much in fact that even without rocks, Modest Keldeo (which is entirely viable) can one-shot it the next time it comes in. Latios comes uncomfortably close to being OHKOd after rocks by Modest Specs Hydro Pump the first time it pokes its head round the corner.

The result of all this is that any team not carrying a water immunity is weak to Specs Keldeo, as nothing but a water immunity can make it unprofitable for Keldeo to spam its most powerful attack. Nothing short of a water immunity can switch into Hydro Pump after taking so much as one extra round of SR damage. Therefore, in order to adequately handle this one move of this one set of this one pokemon, an OU player can choose between a grand total of three viable pokemon. And if that pokemon is Gastrodon or offensive Toxicroak, you'd better have a backup fighting resist/immunity to sponge Keldeo's second move. Teams are forced to choose from one of the three water immunities, primarily to handle Keldeo -- if this isn't the very archetype of a 'centralising' pokemon, then I honestly do not know what is. Put simply: resists mean shit to Keldeo.

If you aren't convinced by 'centralisation' arguments (although I don't see why you shouldn't be, given the evidence), personally I feel that a pokemon with a move that 2HKOs its bulkiest resists is unhealthy for the metagame because it undermines the very operation or mechanism by which competitive battling is possible, namely tactical switching. Reduced down to its simplest form, competitive pokemon can be compared to rock-paper-scissors. If it turns out that scissors not only beats paper, but also rock despite being nominally resisted by it, then something is very wrong. It would be meaningless to call such a game 'competitive', as the pool of counters to scissors has been whittled down to zero. Proportionally, Specs Keldeo achieves a similar thing; its sheer power removes its would-be counters and checks, until all that's left is a thimbleful of 'exceptions'. In doing so, it compromises the balance of the metagame and reduces the very possibility of having, or switching into a counter. In case anybody's wondering, yes I would level the same criticism at Darmanitan, but the comparitively low popularity of Darm and its favourite weather mean that it currently does not have this effect on the metagame, though it well could.
Well, one of the few valid arguments ive seen on the pro-ban side.

First of all, let me say that, if were talking about keldeo's dangerous potential, I completely agree with you lacerta: Specs Keldeo is a perfect example of what is unhealthy for the metagame... defensively-wise.

Im not underestimating the potential of a spex keld with rain support, but you must notice that that situation is purely theorical, highly possible? yes, but in reality rain teams usually dont have the space or time to use the best wallbreaker they have at their disponibility because of how fast and offensive is the metagame at this moment, with keldeo. While i do agree that pony is moderately bulky and is at a good speed tier,the amount of switches it can take is minimal, hell, if were talking in rain, then hydro pumps will mean 2hkos a good portion of the time, and scalds will end up taking its toll, not to mention the problem faster pokemon mean. Im not denying at all that stall is completely and roaringly shitted on by specs keldeo.

On other playstyles, even, usually specs keldeo is used as a surprise gun, most people WILL expect the scarf/expert belt, and then, keldeo nukes the opposition. Of course now were talking not about a problem about specs keldeo, since when im switching my 50% latios to rotom w to eat 75%+ from a secret sword, i dont think the entire merit goes to the set itself, but rather the caution other sets provoke. And i think i already said why ebelt is incredibly overrated as a lure, and scarf needs considerable support not to get hard stopped by common counters even the fast paced meta we now see runs.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
While I admit that you are certainly making a valid point, and I agree with you, tyranitar is certainly better now than it was before, and tyranitar is great at pursuit trapping Keldeo's checks and counters, that's not why most people are complaining about keldeo being broken. Many people, especially on this forum, are saying that keldeo is only broken in the rain, not on a sandstorm team with tyranitar. Almost every pro ban post has either complained about a specs hydro pump in the rain being too powerful, or a scarfed keldeo in the rain being like a swift swimmer, not tyranitar being capable of destroying Keldeo's checks and counters with pursuit. While tyranitar is certainly a boon added to Keldeo's name that was not present in january, it is not the reason why many consider keldeo broken today. The reasons they consider keldeo broken today were present in Janaury and in fact were present since the release of bw2.
That's the exact reason why ty-tar is relevant, not because of sandstorm but because of the fact that it can pursuit trap said checks/counters (latias, celebi, jelli) that can stop specs keldeo in rain. Which is overall a very flawed argument, I still have no idea why people complain about specs keldeo in rain being broken when it has checks and counters that can stop said rampage.

I've recently gotten the requirements to participate in the suspect test, so I shall give my input on the situation at hand.

Like @Curtains stated, most of the teams on the suspect ladder had Starmie on their teams and to be perfectly honest, I actually found it much harder to deal with, mainly due to its better coverage and slightly higher Speed. It also put pressure with Rapid Spin, which remove any entry hazards that had been set up.

Anyways, about Keldeo, I don't think its broken. Unlike several recently banned Pokemon, Keldeo lacks three important things:
  • U-Turn
  • The ability to boost its Speed
  • The ability to set Entry Hazards
While these three thing don't necessarily make a Pokemon broken, they are still large reasons why the recently suspected Pokemon are banned. Back to Keldeo itself I shall be addressing the more logical arguments that the pro-ban side is offering:
  • You need to run two water resist to beat Keldeo: This can be applied to nearly every Water-type viable in OU. Regardless whether Keldeo gets banned or not, we are still going to have to run two Water resist to beat threats such as Starmie, Rotom-W, Sharpedo, SD Feraligatr, SubPetya Empoleon, etc., and banning Keldeo (as well as other Water-types) will not solve this problem.
  • With Tyranitar support, all of Keldeo counters can be removed: While this it is true that most of Keldeo's counters will be removed, Keldeo will not be able to 2HKO a large portion of viable defensive threats with Hydro Pump. For example, Specially Defensive Jirachi might not even be 3HKOed by a Choice Scarf Hydro Pump and can cripple Keldeo with Thunder Wave.
  • Keldeo can 2HKO Water resist with Hydro Pump under the Rain: While it is true that Keldeo can 2HKO most Water-resist under the Rain with Hydro Pump, this doesn't really make it unique from other Water-types as most of them can 2HKO these Water resist with Ice Beam anyways.
  • Keldeo is extremely hard to revenge kill: If we are talking about the Scarf set, then I agree that Keldeo is hard to revenge kill. However, Keldeo's other sets are not very hard to revenge kill. While Keldeo does resist most priority moves, many of the faster threats of OU such as Jolteon, Lati@s, and Starmie, will able to revenge kill Keldeo with a super effective STAB move.
Yeah, so overall, I don't think Keldeo is broken.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Basically, with your final two points, you're saying since Scarf is nigh-unrevengeable and Specs 2HKOs even its best resists with Hydro Pump (excluding things that absorb water moves, but Specs appropriate Hidden Power does the job even then, and we can go back and forth about prediction all day, so let's not). But it can't do both at the same time.

The problem with this logic, Magcargo2, is that we'd be out of line with many recent bans from OU, if we required something to 2HKO its own counters/checks and be hard to revenge at the same time. Tornadus-T fulfilled those guidelines and was rightfully banned. But others were banned without meeting them. For example, Landorus-I had more checks/counters than Keldeo does, similarly all depending on coverage moves (Gyarados, Blobs, Celebi, SpDef Rotom-W, SpDef Jellicent, Latias, Gengar even). Landorus-I, yes, does have U-turn but that was supposed to have been ignored, though I'm sure it wasn't. Futhermore, Landorus-I was much easier revenged, due to neutrality to Bullet Punch, quad weakness to Ice Shard, and lower speed (Garchomp can revenge and the 108s don't have to speed tie.)

Other examples include Genesect, which excluding U-turn to Dugtrio, as we were supposed to have done, could do nothing to Heatran with a standard set. Or even Excadrill which failed the revengeability test, due to strong priority like Mach Punch from Conkeldurr and Aqua Jet from Azumarill and also the 2HKO counters test, since Gliscor was a hard counter, pre-Iron Head's release, as well as Skarmory, which could always force Exca out.

Keldeo is actually harder to deal with in these respects than several things we have banned. It's not one thing. It's too fast, strong, and bulky for its own good.

And you can say we were wrong in other bans, which is a separate argument. But using the logic we have used before, I really see no reason to think a ban is inappropriate.

EDIT RE POCKET: The idea of U-turn to a counter as a reason to ban is generally looked poorly upon, just as many people here look down on Pursuit Trapping KeldTar cores as a viable reason to ban. And as for Excadrill, I'm not seriously suggesting it didn't deserve a ban. I was around then. I know how ridiculous it was. I am saying however that it was in theory revengeable and counterable, yet it still got banned. Even Excadrill failed that criteria Magcargo2 put down.

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.
Landorus-I did NOT have more checks and counters than Keldeo. Where are you even getting this information? Landorus-I was beaten by obscure Pokemon like Cresselia, Bronzong, ect. That's why it was banned. Not only was it able to completely wreck stall with U-turn, but it could even take the offensive side with Rock Polish to beat faster teams. Keldeo just so happens to be beaten by top tier threats. I mean beating Keldeo is laid out for you. It just so happens that many Water resists in the tier resist Fighting-type moves AND have ways to reliably keep themselves healthy and yet you people are still complaining? I don't get it. It's like Keldeo is literally saying, "hey, come check me".

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
srk1214 said:
Landorus-I, yes, does have U-turn but that was supposed to have been ignored, though I'm sure it wasn't.
uhh what? why would we ignore one of the reasons to Landorus's supposed brokenness? U-turn is what made it so hard to pin these former suspects (Genesect / Tornadus-T / Landorus) down and eliminate them - OF COURSE we would consider their ease in circumventing checks & counters via U-turn in our decision-making. That's like saying we should ignore rain when considering Keldeo as uber or OU, which is silly.

Let's also not bring up Excadrill, shall we? It's probably the last "big uber" we eliminated from BW (everything else afterwards being small fries), and it can both wallbreak and sweep with a single set. Keldeo wished it can hold both Scarf & Specs set to achieve what Excadrill did. You really cannot appreciate the true meaning of "a suspect's restricting influence on teambuilding" until you've played a metagame with Excadrill in it. We had "weatherless" teams slapping Specs / Scarf Politoed just to deal with Sand + Excadrill. It was do-able, but far more challenging than the metagame we have now.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Just a note, the top FIVE pokemon in the suspect:current stats are all hindered by keldeo in some way.

No keld? Now rachi can go back to walling special threats for the most part. Now rotom-w can check rain teams (as opposed to being 2hkod by hpump or secret sword). Etcetera.

While there was not neccesarily a rise in things like celebi, there was certainly a drop in things like jirachi/rotom from keldeo's presence, both of which function as blanket special walls without keld.

If anything, the fall of some walls (without them being replaced by more suitable ones) suggests a metagame dominated even more by super quick heavy offense, if that matters to anyone

I might get off topic with this post, but I think that there are a few flaws in this post.

Basically, with your final two points, you're saying since Scarf is nigh-unrevengeable
I never said that Scarf Keldeo is unrevengeable, but that Scarf Keldeo is hard to revenge kill. Focus Sash Alakazam and Choice Scarf Latios (as well as unorthodox Scarf users such as Starmie and Latias) are still able to revenge kill it.
and Specs 2HKOs even its best resists with Hydro Pump (excluding things that absorb water moves, but Specs appropriate Hidden Power does the job even then, and we can go back and forth about prediction all day, so let's not).
Yes, Keldeo is able to 2HKO most Water-resist with Hydro Pump, but that doesn't mean anything when most other Water-types can do the same with Ice Beam anyways.

But it can't do both at the same time.
I never said this at all.
The problem with this logic, Magcargo2, is that we'd be out of line with many recent bans from OU, if we required something to 2HKO its own counters/checks and be hard to revenge at the same time. Tornadus-T fulfilled those guidelines and was rightfully banned.
Tornadus-T wasn't able to 2HKO its checks and counters (Zapdos, jirachi, etc.) but rather immediately switch out from them with U-Turn into something that can take them out.
But others were banned without meeting them. For example, Landorus-I had more checks/counters than Keldeo does, similarly all depending on coverage moves (Gyarados, Blobs, Celebi, SpDef Rotom-W, SpDef Jellicent, Latias, Gengar even).
Except there was nothing preventing Landorus-I from U-Turning out of its counters. Landorus could also run a Physical set in the sand to 2HKO all the Pokemon you mentioned.
Other examples include Genesect, which excluding U-turn to Dugtrio, as we were supposed to have done, could do nothing to Heatran with a standard set.
Any good player would U-Turn immediately into if they saw Heatran on the foe's team (unless they were predicting the foe to not switch out), so I'm not really sure what your trying to say here.
Keldeo is actually harder to deal with in these respects than several things we have banned. It's not one thing. It's too fast, strong, and bulky for its own good.
Now, I completely disagree with this point. Keldeo is NOT harder to deal with Genesect, who forced Pokemon to run 4 EVs in Defense to prevent it from getting a special attack boost, or Tornadus-T, who could outspeed a large majority lacking a Choice Scarf, freely switch out thanks to regenerator, and get near-perfect coverage in just 2 moves.

@MikeDawg This can be applied to nearly every top tier threat. If Scizor was banned, then a large amount of Pokemon that it checked would received increased usage.

Last edited:

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Now, I completely disagree with this point. Keldeo is NOT harder to deal with Genesect, who forced Pokemon to run 4 EVs in Defense to prevent it from getting a special attack boost, or Tornadus-T, who could outspeed a large majority lacking a Choice Scarf, freely switch out thanks to regenerator, and get near-perfect coverage in just 2 moves.
While i agree with the majority of your points, please, let us not compare keldeo with genesect, i guess i can take tornadus T, but making you run 4 evs in defense is by far the least of the problems gene brought. Comparatively, keldeo actually has 5-6 full counters, out of which 2 can arbitrarily be selected to ''lure'' by the use of a certain hidden power, genesect didnt need to be supported by half a team to get rid of these threats, he just needed dugtrio and hell, even w/o him it still gained momentum like it was nobody's business, can keldeo pull off 50-50 situations by himself at ANY point in the game? Does keldeo make you run something stupid like Shed Shell rest talk tran?

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think you are glorifying prediction as a whole way too much. Its educated guesswork at best a lot of the time. You don't have a sixth sense where you know Keldeo is going to switch out and therefore know that a double switch is automatically going to put you in a better position. This "prediction" goes both ways and if you are relying on Latias on your Keldeo switch-in to begin with it probably means everything else on your team is OHKOd/2HKOd by HPump. The way you post makes it sound like this sort of move carries absolutely no risk. If this "prediction" was so straightforward this thread probably wouldn't exist.

U-turn is like the least risky move ever, whereas switching Latias out of the best special attacker in the game to avoid getting trapped WILL lose you a pokemon if they take their chances with staying in (potential pokemon you could double switch to that threaten ttar that aren't 2hkod by scarf hydro pump: uhh virizion / gyarados / very bulky breloom / other garbage).

Again, still unsure on where I stand on Keldeo but I'm a bit sick of every argument grounded on ridiculously risky "prediction" to show that pokemon x counters y.

I think you are glorifying prediction as a whole way too much. Its educated guesswork at best a lot of the time. You don't have a sixth sense where you know Keldeo is going to switch out and therefore know that a double switch is automatically going to put you in a better position. This "prediction" goes both ways and if you are relying on Latias on your Keldeo switch-in to begin with it probably means everything else on your team is OHKOd/2HKOd by HPump. The way you post makes it sound like this sort of move carries absolutely no risk. If this "prediction" was so straightforward this thread probably wouldn't exist.

U-turn is like the least risky move ever, whereas switching Latias out of the best special attacker in the game to avoid getting trapped WILL lose you a pokemon if they take their chances with staying in (potential pokemon you could double switch to that threaten ttar that aren't 2hkod by scarf hydro pump: uhh virizion / gyarados / very bulky breloom / other garbage).

Again, still unsure on where I stand on Keldeo but I'm a bit sick of every argument grounded on ridiculously risky "prediction" to show that pokemon x counters y.
Keldeo user doesn't even need to predict. Just switch out to either scizor/ttar in the given weather and latias can't come back in. I'm not even sure where the prediction argument even came into this, since it was pretty much established early on that the Keldeo user never really needs to predict given the defensive nature of its counters which gain no momentum and are easily handled by the teammates, or even Keldeo itself with the most minute prior damage. Prediction only comes into it when we point out how Keldeo smashes its counters WITH prediction (and not hard predictions either).

Keldeo user doesn't even need to predict. Just switch out to either scizor/ttar in the given weather and latias can't come back in. I'm not even sure where the prediction argument even came into this, since it was pretty much established early on that the Keldeo user never really needs to predict given the defensive nature of its counters which gain no momentum and are easily handled by the teammates, or even Keldeo itself with the most minute prior damage. Prediction only comes into it when we point out how Keldeo smashes its counters WITH prediction (and not hard predictions either).
Uhh..........it's about latias/[insert check/counter here] switching in and the keldeo user predicting on THAT TURN. That's when it's effective. Now what I've seen is that a lot of people glorify pursuit trapping as something easy to do. It's kind of funny. I'll list a few off the top of my head: reflect type has become a thing on latias, latios(shaky check to pony but still) can muscle through weakened and banded ttar, celebi just BP's, jellicent will-o's, slowking can decide to slack off stall in case of pursuit or fish for a scald burn on a switch(unreliable but so is ttar, which is what I'm trying to prove) and amoonguss just doesn't give a fuck. I'm not sure why this hasn't(to my knowledge) been brought before, but the metagame adapts to itself. This can be seen in HP bug ebelt keldeo, lures, blah blah blah, etc. As far as I can see after lando's banning, it has been doing that well with pony. I wasn't there during the tornadus-t and genesect era, so I won't bother with that, but I assume it could not adapt well and it just made it extremely unbalanced(correct me if i'm wrong). So overall, I don't see why keldeo should be banned. It has its checks and counters in place and imo the metagame is pretty good now, even if it isn't, we are talking about the pokemon in itself, and not a perfect metagame. Sooooooo no tl;drs, read through that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)