New UU List (October 2009)

Pursuit is seen on few leads besides Ambipom. Moltres is the only common scarfer lead, who often carries u-turn but can hit Zam plenty hard with any attack anyway.

I can't see Zam being much besides pursuit-bait without sub or exceptional prediction.

Hmm...does anybody else see potential in Alakazam as some kind of lead? It has Inner Focus to screw with Fake Out Ambipom leads, as well as Encore, Counter, Trick, and T-Wave among other moves to mess with the opponent. It also packs decent power and speed, so it can deal some damage too.
I hope so, not only because it would be effective lead, but because I'm pretty sure my Floatzel anti-lead would beat it

Why is Jumpluff usage going down? It absolutely rapes setup sweepers such as Mismagius, SubCharge Rotom, SD Feraligatr, etc., as well as most members on a stall team. Show some love for the blue/pink puff. :(

Why is Jumpluff usage going down? It absolutely rapes setup sweepers such as Mismagius, SubCharge Rotom, SD Feraligatr, etc., as well as most members on a stall team. Show some love for the blue/pink puff. :(
Problem is it's frail ;)
Heck I think even a vacuum wave from Blaziken and an Aqua jet from Feraligatr KO's (Atleast the AJ with 1 SD)

Problem is it's frail ;)
Heck I think even a vacuum wave from Blaziken and an Aqua jet from Feraligatr KO's (Atleast the AJ with 1 SD)
It's "bulkier" than most people think.

Adamant Feraligatr with 1 Swords Dance Aqua Jet against a no HP, no Def neutral nature Jumpluff:
678 Atk vs 176 Def & 291 HP (40 Base Power): 83 - 98 (28.52% - 33.68%)

+nature Blaziken Vacuum Wave against same Jumpluff (no defensive EVs at all):
350 Atk vs 206 Def & 291 HP (40 Base Power): 37 - 44 (12.71% - 15.12%)

With 252 HP EVs, the percentages come out to be 23.45% - 27.68% and 10.45% - 12.43%, respectively.

...75,70, and 85 defenses don't seem bad to me at all for something with 110 speed and the support options it has.

Pursuit is seen on few leads besides Ambipom. Moltres is the only common scarfer lead, who often carries u-turn but can hit Zam plenty hard with any attack anyway.

I can't see Zam being much besides pursuit-bait without sub or exceptional prediction.
Don't forget the number ten lead, Honchkrow.

Trick Uxie is not an unusual lead (over 21% of Uxie carry Scarf, and I'm willing to bet the % of leads with Scarf is high), and then there's Moltres as you've mentioned. Yanmega (until his banning) will give you issues. Arcanine with Extreme Speed will hurt.

I would expect the number of Spiritomb leads to rise, and maybe even after Yanmega is absent, the usage of Focus Sash Scyther to climb if Zam leads became popular.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually its 57.04% - 67.35% with +2 Aqua Jet, you forgot to implement STAB. With Life orb it has a 92.31% chance to OHKO with SR down.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ah, I was wondering, I forgot to put it to 0.5x. Regardless, I'm pretty shocked that ti takes 30%.

Agreed! It's really effective. And not just because i'm biased towards the awesomeness that is Encore.

Hey, look, the 'Biitards are complaining again about the fact that Alakazam is UU. That was quick. What next, "PORYGON2 SHULD BEH OH YOU!!!11eleventyeleven!!!1"?

Oh, and that Roserade is supposedly going to be horrible in OU. Apart from the fact that it beats almost every other lead out there which isn't running Lum Berry, and even beats some that do.

Wow

can't believe people arent using porygon2

he's so useful
Well, in OU, yes, but in UU, Porygon 2 is a bit...meh.

I was actually quite surprised that Porygon 2 kept making UU. I'd think OU or NU would be the most likely tiers for Porygon 2 to lie in.

Also, that made me think. If Porygon 2 rises to OU in the January tier lists, and then drops out of OU again in April, would he return to UU or NU? We've never really had a situation like that before. Would he be in NU, because that's the tier he was in previously, or would he go to UU, because that's simply the usage tier that's directly below OU.

Porygon2 is viable in UU - it can do some walling, especially on stuff like Arcanine, but overall, I feel there are better options.

Because Zam is a faster Encore:

Alakazam@Focus Sash
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def
Inner Focus/Timid

-Psychic
-Counter
-Encore
-Taunt

Perfect Anti-Lead. Counter OHKO's Honchkrow, OHKO's whoever Moltres, Uxie, or Mespirit U-Turn to, etc. Psychic beats any Nido leads and dents anything that doesn't resist it hard. Taunt prevents setup from all other leads (fastest Taunt in UU bar Electrode) and Encore is the reason why, even at 1%, you let him live. He can come in when Missy NPs, when anyone Subs or curses, etc. Then Encore them to render them useless. Such a great poke.

Alakazam@Focus Sash
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def
Inner Focus/Timid

-Psychic
-Counter
-Encore
-Taunt

Perfect Anti-Lead. Counter OHKO's Honchkrow, OHKO's whoever Moltres, Uxie, or Mespirit U-Turn to, etc. Psychic beats any Nido leads and dents anything that doesn't resist it hard. Taunt prevents setup from all other leads (fastest Taunt in UU bar Electrode) and Encore is the reason why, even at 1%, you let him live. He can come in when Missy NPs, when anyone Subs or curses, etc. Then Encore them to render them useless. Such a great poke.
Nidoking and Honchkrow have Sucker Punch, so don't be surprised if you lose to them(many run Sash, in fact all lead Honchkrow I've seen have it). Since Roserade is OU, Nidoking has little use for Lum Berry anymore.

I could've sworn I posted what I said in the September Shoddy stats thread, not this thread...

Alakazam just became UU. Jumpluff had the fastest Encore available beforehand, yet if you check the last few months, its usage steadily went down. Still, Jumpluff has some advantages over Alakazam with Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, and U-Turn, and depending on your team, its typing could prove more beneficial as well.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also, that made me think. If Porygon 2 rises to OU in the January tier lists, and then drops out of OU again in April, would he return to UU or NU? We've never really had a situation like that before. Would he be in NU, because that's the tier he was in previously, or would he go to UU, because that's simply the usage tier that's directly below OU.
As things dictate currently, Porygon2 would go to UU if that happens.

I could've sworn I posted what I said in the September Shoddy stats thread, not this thread...

Alakazam just became UU. Jumpluff had the fastest Encore available beforehand, yet if you check the last few months, its usage steadily went down. Still, Jumpluff has some advantages over Alakazam with Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, and U-Turn, and depending on your team, its typing could prove more beneficial as well.
and its not spiritomb food which is quickly becoming my favorite uu in this metagame.

As things dictate currently, Porygon2 would go to UU if that happens.
Thanks for clearing that up. :) Obviously, this Porygon 2 thing is not a problem really, but I was thinking, if we had, say, 8 usage tiers (if we ever get that far), and a Pokemon jumps from usage tier 5, to OU, in one go, due to a temporary surge in usage, and then drops out of OU again, and returns to its abysmally low levels of usage, it would take over a year before it returns to usage tier 5. Would it be better to let it drop one usage tier at a time, every 3 months, or would it be better to return it to its previous tier, then it'd be allowed in the 5 tiers, and see where it ends up after the three months?

This isn't an issue now, but if we ever do get a lot more usage tiers, we may get situations like that (although probably not to such an enourmous magnitude).

What I said probably doesn't make much sense, and isn't very relevant currently to be honest, but it's something people might want to consider. I think we could survive on the basis that such a situation like the one I mentioned is extremely unlikely to happen, but we never know. And, if we're going to use the NU statistics from the CAP server, we could be on our 4th usage tier by January.

Nidoking and Honchkrow have Sucker Punch, so don't be surprised if you lose to them(many run Sash, in fact all lead Honchkrow I've seen have it). Since Roserade is OU, Nidoking has little use for Lum Berry anymore.

Sucker Punch won't do Honchkrow much good against an Alakazam whose only attacking move is Psychic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)