New UU List (October 2009)

Yanmega is definitely getting kicked out.

SpecZam is going to die fast using just psychic, with so many dark-types with pursuit running around. I think we are just going to see darks become more popular without much of a splash from Zam.

As a rule, if you run choice users expect to get set up on. NP Mismagius gets free set up on your Rock Wrecker, but it also gets free set-up on CB Earthquake. It could be useful to take out Milotic, but it turns "certain" Pokemon setting up on it to "every" Pokemon setting up on it.

However, it's not as if Rhyperior has any good alternatives for a 4-attack set, and it does make a good Milotic lure, so it seems like a plausible option. Just make sure it is used VERY sparingly.

I forgot about Spiritomb being a solid counter to Alakazam, and Rhyperior. A Restalk set with WoW and Sucker Punch could wall both of those effectivly.
Actually, no. Rhyperior is faster naturally making you an easy 2hko and sucker punch wont work if you use it during rest. The best bet may be a specially bulky spiritomb to act as a missy/ zam/ rotom counter. Running enough speed to outrun banded rhyperiors and WoW before dying to EQ. That may seem pretty lame, but it may be worth a shot to really hinder rhyperior (like 52 speed evs on spiritomb would outrun rhyperiors with little speed investment).

Spiritomb @ leftovers
Careful; 252 Hp/ 138 Def/ 52 Spe/ 66 Sp Def
WoW/ Pursuit/ Sucker Punch/ Pain Split

How it counters Alakazam (and Missy)
-Alakazam and Missy not running more than 0/4 (or 4/0) are OHKO'd by pursuit on the switch or sucker punch w/o any attack investment and is never 2hko'd by a timid 252 alakazams specs signal beam after rocks (meaning every move on the standard specs set should result in alakazam being ko'd). In a similar vein, Spiritomb can also serve as a check to NP missy as it fails to be ko'd by a Timid LO +2 Shadowball should you miss predict and pursuit instead of sucker punch (pursuit will not ko unless they attempt to switch)

How it can serve as a make- shift Rhyperior check
Spiritomb isn't nearly as good a check on rhyperior as alakazam, but it can at least attempt to hinder rhyperior with this set. It outspeeds rhyperior so you can hopefully burn it before taking a banded EQ reducing the damage to somewhere in the 45- 55% area. Pain splitting and then going to your ground immunity after pain split and burn has reduced its hp after a couple turns. If WoW should miss you can then go to your ground immune that you hopefully have and set up/ attack.
NOTE: DO NOT switch spiritomb into rhyperior as it can potentially be 2hko'd even after you burn him before the second EQ and without you taking SR damage. Though 2hko's from EQ are rare without sr damage, it is almost guaranteed in spite of the burn with it. Wait to bring him in after rhyperior ko's something OR simply burn him should rhyperior come in expecting to finish off/ force out your spiritomb.

So hang on, correct me if I'm mistaken with my statements, but...

Milotic recently got close to being a suspect, and now:
Roserade, possibly it's best counter, is gone.
AND
Rhyperior is now UU, and Milotic looks like it might be one of the best answers to it.

It's almost like the masses are conspiring to make Milotic BL.

Hmmm so milos main counter is gone,That means milo will have an easier time ruling UU.Rhyperior , alakazam ,and the return of Umbreon(yay!) are all cool additions to UU.Aggro in UU is no big suprise.

Looking forward for these new changes

I am going to enjoy uses Nidoqueen and Magmortar in NU play.

Rhyperior is a beast, as Megahorn takes care of most of his checks like Torterra, Tangrowth, Claydol, etc. xP

RP LO rhyperior's gonna be a beast in UU. I used it in OU a while back and with a little support, it can easily sweep teams. It should do well in UU as well

Rhyperior isn't really going to be that gamebreaking.

IMO, Venusaur/Rhyperior will have good synergy.

Hmmm. Rhyperior and Alakazam...

Well, at least I don't have much of a problem with them! Alakazam is ruined by my Regice, and Rhyperior is taken by HP grass from my Specs Manectric. And if it tries to switch in on T-Bolt, I give it Switcharoo.

I would agree with Nightrain and Garganator that Rhyperior isn't going to be as threatening as people seem to think. The few times I've seen a Rhydon it hasn't been overly dangerous, and minor stat increases and Solid Rock are unlikely to make a mediocre NU Pokemon too good for the UU tier.

I would agree with Nightrain and Garganator that Rhyperior isn't going to be as threatening as people seem to think. The few times I've seen a Rhydon it hasn't been overly dangerous, and minor stat increases and Solid Rock are unlikely to make a mediocre NU Pokemon too good for the UU tier.
I agree with you. Either that, or Rhydon is being underestimated.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I would just like to add that Solid Rock is not to be underestimated, and is what differentiates Rhyperior from Rhydon the most.

You also need to remember that Rhyperior has 10 base HP and 10 base SpD more than Rhydon. That might not look like much, but actually that's quite a good increase. Assuming equal EVs, that is equivalent to an increase of 20 to both stats. If you assume that both Pokemon have no EVs in HP or in SpD, this results in Rhyperior being dealt about 80% of the damage that Rhydon is usually dealt. Combine this with Solid Rock and you have Rhyperior being dealt only around 60% of the damage that Rhydon is dealt from supereffective moves.

Whether or not that makes Rhyperior survive moves better than Rhydon in UU remains to be seen, but Solid Rock shouldn't be underestimated.

While X-Act does make a fairly good point, Rhyperior requires a preety significant investment in its spoon-sized special defense category to be able to take the MANY Water and Grass type special attacks prominent in the UU metagame.

I find Aggron to be far superior to Rhyperior for both OU and UU play, as its Steel typing changes the attack types it takes 4x damage from to be mostly physically based, something it can take advantage of with its BASE 180 Defense. The ability to deal damage equal to that of Rampardos' Stone Edges with Head Smash, and after one Rock Polish, these brutal attacks can dominate almost the entirety of UU's defensive core. As an added bonus, Rhyperior must be supported with something capable of removing Toxic Spikes, something that Aggron needs not worry about. The only major problem Aggron runs into in UU is Blaziken's Vacuum Wave, which will always OHKO most offensive sets.

Speaking of sweeping, now that Alakazam is UU, does anyone have any counters to suggest? I think we might see many scarf ghosts or Spiritomb now, as not even Registeel and Chansey can truly stop Alakazam, one of the most brutal Special Attackers in all of Pokemon. Shadow Sneak will become prominent, so this is your chance to break out some new Spiritomb and Dusclops counters like Miltank.

While X-Act does make a fairly good point, Rhyperior requires a preety significant investment in its spoon-sized special defense category to be able to take the MANY Water and Grass type special attacks prominent in the UU metagame.

I find Aggron to be far superior to Rhyperior for both OU and UU play, as its Steel typing changes the attack types it takes 4x damage from to be mostly physically based, something it can take advantage of with its BASE 180 Defense. The ability to deal damage equal to that of Rampardos' Stone Edges with Head Smash, and after one Rock Polish, these brutal attacks can dominate almost the entirety of UU's defensive core. As an added bonus, Rhyperior must be supported with something capable of removing Toxic Spikes, something that Aggron needs not worry about. The only major problem Aggron runs into in UU is Blaziken's Vacuum Wave, which will always OHKO most offensive sets.

Speaking of sweeping, now that Alakazam is UU, does anyone have any counters to suggest? I think we might see many scarf ghosts or Spiritomb now, as not even Registeel and Chansey can truly stop Alakazam, one of the most brutal Special Attackers in all of Pokemon. Shadow Sneak will become prominent, so this is your chance to break out some new Spiritomb and Dusclops counters like Miltank.
Regice with Restalk. /Alakazam troubles.

I would just like to add that Solid Rock is not to be underestimated, and is what differentiates Rhyperior from Rhydon the most.

You also need to remember that Rhyperior has 10 base HP and 10 base SpD more than Rhydon. That might not look like much, but actually that's quite a good increase. Assuming equal EVs, that is equivalent to an increase of 20 to both stats. If you assume that both Pokemon have no EVs in HP or in SpD, this results in Rhyperior being dealt about 80% of the damage that Rhydon is usually dealt. Combine this with Solid Rock and you have Rhyperior being dealt only around 60% of the damage that Rhydon is dealt from supereffective moves.

Whether or not that makes Rhyperior survive moves better than Rhydon in UU remains to be seen, but Solid Rock shouldn't be underestimated.
Yeah, that's a good point actually. However, I will still be a bit suspicious if Rhyperior gets 10x the usage that Rhydon got. That'd be a bit extreme, for what isn't such an enourmous improvement.

Regice with Restalk. /Alakazam troubles.
Unless it's a very specialized Regice set with Rest/Sleep Talk/Psych up/Ice Beam, cause CM Zam just shits all over Regice, especially if it has sub. I expect a shitload of Houndoom/Arcanine to be partnered with Zam to handle Spiritomb.

^Rain teams. And I don't see why not, he's almost as fast as Roserade was, and I believe he is the new fastest UU Spiker... feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Rhyperior will be the best BBkrow counter in UU. I see it coming in as more of a tank than a sweeper until milotic decides to leave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)