New UU List (October 2009)

Rhyperior will be the best BBkrow counter in UU. I see it coming in as more of a tank than a sweeper until milotic decides to leave
Probably. A simple set with Substitute + Toxic + Earthquake + Protect can stall out Milotic for a little, then something like Blaziken is free to sweep.

I wonder if Rhyperior will enjoy much use as a lead in UU? I guess much depends on what Pokemon come in to replace Roserade's lead uses, but it does seem good on paper for dealing with most common leads like Ambipom, Arcanine, Moltres, the Psychic pixies and various others, and can set up SR early. It would also have the upper hand against most other bulky SR leads like the Steels and Regirock, Donphan not so much but max attack variants can be 3HKO'd by Earthquake. Maybe a set like this:

Rhyperior @ Rindo Berry / Lum Berry
Adamant
Solid Rock
120 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 88 Spe

~ Stone Edge / Rock Blast
~ Megahorn / Toxic
~ Earthquake
~ Stealth Rock

Seems like a solid choice to me, but predicting good leads is always the hardest thing to do as it is nearly impossible to know what trends end up becoming prevalent long term. Omastar leads could also be problematic, but then again you could just run Passho Berry and slightly more speed to outrun, at the cost of losing to some other things. I guess it would depend on the team's needs as always.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good set Lemmiwinks. I'd probably keep Rock Blast there and try out Rock Blast / Stone Edge / Megahorn / Stealth Rock.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like the fact that I'm hitting Uxie and breaking sashes. My set is more focused on defeating top 5 leads I suppose, rather than long term.

Edit: Woops, forgot about Megahorn. I guess your set is right! :p

rock blast doesn't break sashes any more than stone edge or megahorn or earthquake breaks them

i.e. you can't ohko a sashed pokemon with rock blast

edit: if you can, then it's a bug on shoddy battle 1 and it'll probably be gone when colin releases shoddy battle 2

Point is, Rhyperior is going to join the ranks of Regirock and Steelix as a premier defensive Pokémon, and the former as a bulky attacker.

But I foresee that Venusaur should be able to counter it more than any of the other Grassers.

Armaldo is equal, if not better Lead than Rhyperior.
Better type and Rapid Spin is what Armaldo has over Rhyperior leads.
Rapid Spin is really valuable, it will let your Moltres comes into the field without hesitating, or it will let your surprise Sashed poke act like it's supposed to...

Other than that, they are almost the same. Rhyperior is more attack minded, while Armaldo is more defensive.

About Alakazam: damn, he's nice. You can go Specs,TrickScarf, LO+ 4 attacks,LO+CM, Sub+CM, Encoreannoyer, Dual Screener... even a novelty TauntRecoverCM is viable(ok, it's not).
We all know about its counters... Spiritomb/Chansey/Drapion/Absol or Honchrow in a pinch... still, he's really nice to have in UU. And he makes a nice lead in UU with Inner Focus preventing flinching from Fake Outs and such.

Oh man, Umbreon is back! Time to kick some ass out there AGAIN with Cursebreon.

Roserade going up is good for Venusaur... even better for Milotic.

Armaldo is equal, if not better Lead than Rhyperior.
Better type and Rapid Spin is what Armaldo has over Rhyperior leads.
Rapid Spin is really valuable, it will let your Moltres comes into the field without hesitating, or it will let your surprise Sashed poke act like it's supposed to...
From a pure leading perspective, maybe (though I'd still be willing to contest that point), however a lead can and often will still serve a purpose outside the first few turns. If you're saying that Armaldo is more useful than Rhyperior in mid-game situations, I will almost definitely be keen on engaging you in a full-on debate.

Honestly, I'm planning on seeing teams consisting of a direct Rhyperior counter(s), Venusaur, Milotic and/or possibly Weezing, and a switch-in counter, Azumarill. On the other hand, I expect to see many Spiritombs, Uxies, Umbreons (gotta watch for Focus Blast/Signal Beam) and/or possibly Mesprit. Also TrickScarf Claydol for a lead could be popular. But then again, that's just me. I'm gonna prepare for this. =D

EDIT: When are they going to update the new tiers onto Shoddy?

So, with the departure of Roserade (:(), is anybody else interested in Spiker!Glalie? When I was active, and Abomasnow was still UU, I often ran

Glalie @ Leftovers
Bold / Calm
Ice Body
I can't really remember the EV's, unfortunately.

~ Spikes
~ Toxic / Taunt (Was Taunt included in Glalie's moveset prior to Platinum? I don't think it was, but it's a welcome addition.)
~ Blizzard
~ Light Screen

I had success with this set. Unfortunately, Abomasnow going to BL sorta screwed Glalie over, but Snover is an alright alternative, I suppose. This set could also function without Hail, but it's obviously not as effective.

Thoughts? It'd be really nice to see Glalie usage rise.

So, with the departure of Roserade (:(), is anybody else interested in Spiker!Glalie? When I was active, and Abomasnow was still UU, I often ran

Glalie @ Leftovers
Bold / Calm
Ice Body
I can't really remember the EV's, unfortunately.

~ Spikes
~ Toxic / Taunt (Was Taunt included in Glalie's moveset prior to Platinum? I don't think it was, but it's a welcome addition.)
~ Blizzard
~ Light Screen

I had success with this set. Unfortunately, Abomasnow going to BL sorta screwed Glalie over, but Snover is an alright alternative, I suppose. This set could also function without Hail, but it's obviously not as effective.

Thoughts? It'd be really nice to see Glalie usage rise.
Doubt it. Even with Roserade gone, Omastar, Cloyster, and Quilfish are superior spikers.

Doubt it. Even with Roserade gone, Omastar, Cloyster, and Quilfish are superior spikers.
Not sure about the other two, but Quilfish?

Glalie can do everything it can except paralyze, and has considerable more bulk, and a better ability(ies) for Spiking. The only thing I could possibly see Quilfish having over Glalie is typing.

Not sure about the other two, but Quilfish?

Glalie can do everything it can except paralyze, and has considerable more bulk, and a better ability(ies) for Spiking. The only thing I could possibly see Quilfish having over Glalie is typing.
Qwilfish is hands down the most underrated Spiker to have ever graced UU IMO. You see how overabused Milotic is in UU, then see how easily Qwilfish exploits it and sets up multiple Spikes, in the meantime preventing other setups and always threatening to take something down with it. The multiple resistances also let it check or set up on a decent number of Pokemon; Blaziken, Azumarill, Registeel etc, or anything slower really.

From a pure leading perspective, maybe (though I'd still be willing to contest that point), however a lead can and often will still serve a purpose outside the first few turns. If you're saying that Armaldo is more useful than Rhyperior in mid-game situations, I will almost definitely be keen on engaging you in a full-on debate.
Yes, from a pure perspective of being a lead.
The same way Azelf, Aerodactyl and most Metagross leads are. Set the rocks up, kill whatever poke your enemy leads with. Armaldo has the potential to set up the rocks and hit most leads hard(not as hard as Rhyperior logically, that's why i said he is more offensive than Armaldo). The selling point is that he is able to spin the rocks. Valuable thing like i said.

Though Armaldo will be dead soon while Rhyperior can come later (on most Registeels for example).
It's you choice what fits better your team. Someone who sets Stealth Rock and spin the rocks of your enemy, or someone really powerful that can come later to counter/attack pokes really hard, even if it means keeping the rocks up.

PS: Over the lead perspective, of the top 15 leads in UU, Armaldo can handle all of them. Rhyperior can handle 14 counting Roserade.

Not counting Roserade that is OU now(and putting Omastar on the top leads), Armaldo 14/5 and Rhyperior 14(Armaldo can at least take a Surf from Omastar and set the rocks up/spin...but loses too).

So both are good.

I would use Rhyperior with the bulky SD set. Curse doesn't work like in OU since there's no sandstorm in UU(Hippopotas...no), Milotics are everywhere and the CB one is better left to Aggron.

Nas

Banned deucer.
I've just finished the team I'm planning to use when shoddy is updated. =P It's a bulky offense team with Rhyperior at its core, hopefully I'll be able to prove everyone who says Rhyperior is way overhyped wrong lol.

It can counter lead yanmega quite nicely, though, while still being a decent spiker. (ice beam -> ice shard)
I used to use it specially bulky with a lum and inner focus to beat both roserade and yanmega leads early.

I wonder who UU's new resident Spiker will be. Qwilfish, Cacturne, Cloyster, Glalie, and Omastar are the only ones left.

Also, can't wait for the new tier list to be implemented. This new meta looks very fun.

EDIT@Stormkid5: Nidoqueen is not a useable spiker, as she does not learn spikes. Which is kind of important.
I belive omastar will be the new spiker of uu.

Gardevoir can be a good alakazam counter now. Specs psychic/focus blast can't even 3hko a defensive one, and a non specs shadow ball will not 2hko it. This lets you set up some support options, whether it be screens or wish/WoW.

Hmm...does anybody else see potential in Alakazam as some kind of lead? It has Inner Focus to screw with Fake Out Ambipom leads, as well as Encore, Counter, Trick, and T-Wave among other moves to mess with the opponent. It also packs decent power and speed, so it can deal some damage too.

Hmm...does anybody else see potential in Alakazam as some kind of lead? It has Inner Focus to screw with Fake Out Ambipom leads, as well as Encore, Counter, Trick, and T-Wave among other moves to mess with the opponent. It also packs decent power and speed, so it can deal some damage too.
It could be interesting. Zam will always survive a Life Orb boosted Fake Out, which can be Countered back, or Encored. Personally speaking though, I'd rather bring him into a situation where I know he's not going to be in danger. ie; it'd be bad news if something with Pursuit (Drapion), or Scarf U-Turn was leading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)