New UU List (January 2010)

This seems all wrong to me. I am almost sure that both Cresselia and Pory-Z will become defensive and offensive suspects respectively and that both will be banished to BL. Simple.

Well there are some huge changes this month; I'm going to need to overhaul my team to combat Cresselia. Cresselia in UU is pretty deadly; Moonlight is viable due to the low number of Hail / Sandstorm teams, and her defensive stats greatly outclass Uxie's, who is already a bitch to some of the biggest offensive threats in the tier. Psycho Shift only makes her more dangerous; a set with Psycho Shift and Moonlight effectively walls many pokemon. Still, I'm sure counters will arise soon; people though Chansey would dominate, and it has turned out to be Underused within UU.

Porygon-Z is at the other end of the spectrum, and I see it being less deadly. 90 Base Speed is rather average in UU (seriously, look at the number of 95 Base Speed pokemon), and UU is very heavy in priority. Still, it's destructive in the right hands.

On the plus side, Honchkrow is gone and he was a bitch to most of my sweepers (Swellow :'[ ), and so is Gallade, but Gallade was setup fodder to most of my sweepers (Swellow :'[ | Arcanine :'[ ), so he will be missed to some extent.

The thing about Cresselia is that she is completely shut down by taunters, who can then set up in her face. Drapion and Houndour do this especially well. Alakazam can switch in and Encore her stat up moves, as can Jumpluff. CM Mismagius also fares well against Cressy, so that set might come back into use. Then of course you have CM Raikou...

Overall, bulky calm minders and encore/taunt do a VERY good job at shutting down Cressy. I really don't see her as a threat at all.

I am really worried about Cresselia in UU, from my experience she is still a great wall in OU but the only reason why she isn't common is because of the high usage of Tyranitar and Scizor, Apart from that she can wall lots of pokemon and cripple them with paralysis. Porgon-Z on the other hand is very strong but can be prone to revenging, still I will think it will be too strong.

@Banedon

Powerful doesn't equal broken, which is what everyone is speculating.

And I wouldn't call Cress superior to Uxie. Uxie still has numerous advantages in Memento, Heal Bell, U-turn, Yawn, Stealth Rock, and being able to hit physically.

One funny thing is that Cresselia is like the best partner possible for Porygon Z. I mean, afraid of fighting attacks? Switch Cresselia in and laugh.
Slapping a Scarf and spam Tri Attack , and switch Cresselia in whenever a fighting poke appears seems pretty simple, and a pretty effective way of dealing with offensive teams.
Ghosts? Get yourself a Skuntank and Pursuit/Sucker Punch them to death then Explode on something later.
Seems pretty simple yet effective to me.

I wonder if a bait P-Z set would work. Something like...

Porygon-Z@Leftovers/Life Orb
Adaptability | Timid | 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd (or something, obviously fix up HP and speed and stuff).
~ Substitute
~ Tri Attack
~ Psychic
~ Dark Pulse/HP Fighting

Baits Fighters and Psychics them to death, but I'm not sure if Tri Attack would work just as well. Dark Pulse for Ghosts or HP Fighting for Steels in the last slot. One way you get walled by Steels, another way you get walled by Spiritomb.

The changes in NU are going to be chaos. People are now saying you'll require Skuntank, Espeon, and one of the three Ex-UU Fire types in your team now.

Elecrode, I'll say what I said in the NU thread. As the only two effective Rain Dance abusers left are Goyrebaass, Huntail, and Floatzel, Electrode will play a role similar to Jolteon in OU.

don't know how to make this gimmick work, but here goes:

252 atk, 252 spe Porygon-Z @ toxic orb
hasty @ adaptability

facade
agility
trick
triattack/darkpulse

Oooo, Porygon-Z? I didn't realize he was THAT close to UU, I was under the impression that Heracross was closer. Awesome, I'm definitely going to have to make a team around this guy.

The changes in NU are going to be chaos. People are now saying you'll require Skuntank, Espeon, and one of the three Ex-UU Fire types in your team now.

Elecrode, I'll say what I said in the NU thread. As the only two effective Rain Dance abusers left are Goyrebaass, Huntail, and Floatzel, Electrode will play a role similar to Jolteon in OU.
I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you postulating that SpecsTrode will come into use?

Oooo, Porygon-Z? I didn't realize he was THAT close to UU, I was under the impression that Heracross was closer. Awesome, I'm definitely going to have to make a team around this guy.
After laddering for a few hours against teams such as this, I'd recommend against it. Pory-Z is helpless against priority, and it seems as though wise players are already beginning to utilize two or more priority users.

To add a quick strategy to test for Cresselia...I believe that if you are not boosting your special stats for cressilia you should go with PHYSiCAL attacks...reason why, so it's not set up bait from raikou, mismagius, and other bulky CMs, and deals more damage to venasaur than psychic....of course her physical movepool is limited to zen heabutt, psycho cut, return...but i would prefer this set to hit them harder with a few attack EVs...Also cresselia in UU is one of those pokes that doesnt need full investment in all defenses...running enough speed to outrun base 80s and going for some attack EVs still makes cressilia bulky and wall very well...

The number one thing i'm sad to see is Toxicroak's physical usage being dropped very low :'( but Nasty Plot might have a rise in usage, but probably not as much as should though...All i have to say is that cresselia is the new addition that stall defintely needed and with honchkrow and gallade out stall is going to go rampant

I wonder if a bait P-Z set would work. Something like...

Porygon-Z@Leftovers/Life Orb
Adaptability | Timid | 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd (or something, obviously fix up HP and speed and stuff).
~ Substitute
~ Tri Attack
~ Psychic
~ Dark Pulse/HP Fighting

Baits Fighters and Psychics them to death, but I'm not sure if Tri Attack would work just as well. Dark Pulse for Ghosts or HP Fighting for Steels in the last slot. One way you get walled by Steels, another way you get walled by Spiritomb.
An Adaptability Tri Attack is almost equal to that of Psychic, and Psychic can't help against what will probably become common Porygon-Z counters in Registeel and Spiritomb.

I would rather have a standard Sub/Plot Porygon-Z in this situation with HP Water/Fire. At least you stand a chance against common walls, because you can plot up against them when they'd have had wear and tear, then rip them apart.

Trick Specs/Scarf will be nice too. Spamming Tri Attack against everything that isn't immune to it, and Tricking a Scarf/Specs onto Registeel/Chansey/Spiritomb will usually cripple them for the rest of the match.

Porygon-Z has better bulk than many of you are giving it credit for. The priority fighters (Hitmontop, Vaccum Wave Blaziken/Toxicroak) give it the most trouble, but none of them enjoy switch into Tri Attack at all. Sucker Punch users are thwarted by Substitute, and don't forget, Porygon-Z is not really 'slow', he's base 90, which is very acceptable for a sweeper in UU.

I don't think he'll be broken though, despite my 'hype'. He has too many checks, because he doesn't have one set that just beats everything. He'll be a great threat though, and will become one of the most used sweepers.

As for Cresselia.. she will be a fantastic Sunny Day Pokemon with Moon Light, Screens, Thunder-Wave. She'll probably bring Uxie's level down a little, but I doubt it will creep into the top Pokemon. Its role is too niche, and it's still vulnerable to the powerful Dark/Pursuit users in UU like Absol, Drapion. Which means she'll have to run HP Fighting, and Spiritomb will wall her to no end. I think she'll end up annoying a lot of people with her high usage early on, but we'll see how fast she is moved to BL after things settle down.

Well I will miss Leafeon in NU. Typhlsion in NU IDK what to think of that. I wanna try Miltank it might be fun. Cresselia can now use moonlight w/o too much of a worry. We'll see how it all goes.

I don't think he'll be broken though, despite my 'hype'. He has too many checks, because he doesn't have one set that just beats everything.
Agreed, he has serious 4-moveslot syndrome. Although Specs/Scarf without Trick would probably deal with a few checks/counters, would it really be worth it?

Porygon-Z's going to be like any other sweeper: it's going to need team support to remove the Pokémon that can check its sweep, and it'll take a little while for people to get a feel for what teammates support it most effectively. It's not going to be an automatic "throw this on your team and instantly rape" like all the naysayers think.

thanks so much X-Act! Sad to see Typhlosion go...lots of new changes this time around. Time to start making a new PZ - Cress based UU team :D

EDIT: Porygon Z will be pretty vulnerable to the mass of priority that exists in UU, though. I agree, its not as broken as it may seem to be. Still, its powerful special attack and Tri Attack will wreck some havoc.

Cress can be countered based on the set, some can't do anything to Houndoom or Spiritomb, while others are easy set up bait for Missy and Raikou. Even so, the set is generally tough to figure out at first, so you might end up losing a few pokemon to Cress if you don't do it right.

Porygon Z will likely be an effective revenge killer. Tri Attack, with Scarf, Specs, or Nasty Plot, is going to do a lot of damage to all of UU. Hitmontop can beat it with a Mach Punch that does about as much as a Scizor Bullet Punch to Z, but getting it in on one is a major problem.

Azure Demon

Cress can be countered based on the set, some can't do anything to Houndoom or Spiritomb, while others are easy set up bait for Missy and Raikou. Even so, the set is generally tough to figure out at first, so you might end up losing a few pokemon to Cress if you don't do it right.

Porygon Z will likely be an effective revenge killer. Tri Attack, with Scarf, Specs, or Nasty Plot, is going to do a lot of damage to all of UU. Hitmontop can beat it with a Mach Punch that does about as much as a Scizor Bullet Punch to Z, but getting it in on one is a major problem.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with you as all of the olpoke you listed can be walled by cress for multiple reasons dual screening and the ability to recover while not falling to sleep is 2 t-wave cm cress is 3 and Missy has no reliable recovery moves and only a new player would attempt to status a Missy one the first turn allowing it to sub

You are aware a porygon-z can take a cb siczor bullet punch and ohko back with a spatk download t-bolt right and even still what about the people who's teams won't function properly with hitmontop or modest blaziken in there

expects more regice and registeel now

I have a feeling Cresselia will not upset UU very much, due to it's ability to become easy setup fodder. Most likely we will see a lot of sets designed overcome this weakness at the expense of some walling capability. However, with it's huge defenses and reliable recovery, my guess is that it can run some successful sets which have many EV's sent to offenses, while still being a decent mixed wall - it will be interesting to see what happens.

Otherwise, I think it will be a good addition to stall teams who are having trouble with mixed wallbreakers like Blaziken, as if it can switch safely into Mixmence in OU, it can handle anything UU has to offer.

Porygon-Z scares me a little bit, though, as I have a feeling that the specs version will walk all over any Special wall other than Chansey. I use a team with Articuno, who manages to stand up to Specs Alakazam, but with the extra power Adaptability provides, I'm sure he'll be 2hKO'ed :(

Apparently, Cresselia has Dual Screens AND Calm Mind AND Moonlight/RestTalk AND two or three attacks.
It reminds me of how every Garchomp runs Outrage/Swords Dance/Fire Fang/Draco Meteor/Earthquake/Dragon Claw/Stone Edge/Toxic/Substitute while holding a Choice Band, Choice Scarf, Yache Berry, and Salac Berry.

In all seriousness, though, I personally find the CM booster the most difficult set of Cress's to handle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)