Format Discussion Scarlet/Violet Random Battle Sets

Hello, after about 1500 battles here are some set suggestions and improvements I came up with, forgive me if the expected format is 1 suggestion per post. I'll try to be concise, rather than writing a lengthy essay about all of my suggestions, but will happily provide more context and thought process for any one point in further discussion.

Hustle + Aerial Ace

Hustle is a great ability that allows to wallbreak with no setup, but its accuracy drop can cut a guaranteed sweep short.
My suggestion would be to add Aerial Ace to Delibird and Squawkabilly's Hustle sets to remedy this. This also brings the benefit of Flying STAB without recoil, and will still deal some impressive damage thanks to Hustle (Arboliva takes 94 - 110.8 from Squawk's Aerial Ace, Abomasnow takes 71.8-85.4 factoring Snow, and Amoonguss is a guaranteed OHKO !). To be clear I'm not saying Aerial Ace should replace Brave Bird ; rather, it should be a possible complement to it.

I'm less sure about Lilligant and Flapple. Both of these guys' only perfectly-accurate physical move is Aerial Ace, so they wouldn't have STAB like Delibird and Squawkabilly would ... The former would have to give up critical coverage in Ice Spiiner to hit Flying types that resist both its STABs. Flapple gets DD, Grav Apple, Outrage, and one of : Tera Blast (forces Tera Fire) to hit Steel types which resist both its STABs ; U-Turn which creates momentum (unless it misses ...) ; and Sucker Punch which remedies its under-average Speed of 173 before Dragon Dancing. Despite this, I think Aerial Ace could still be considered on these mons, as, again, after a Dragon Dance / Victory Dance, the opponent's only hope might rely in a critical Hustle-caused miss. I think it's at least worth a spin on some low-chance-of-generation sets.

Shuca Berry as an alternative to Air Balloon

AFAIK, Air Balloon is a possible item for Revavroom* and Heatran, so I'll just make my case for these two. Not to say I'd like to replace Air Balloon with Shuca Berry on them, but I think it's a good alternative.

*Seems Air Balloon was removed for Revavroom, but I still think Shuca would work well on it, and I don't want to fix the grammar on this entire part of my post

Air Balloon can put you in a bit of an awkward position. Revavroom and Heatran both have an impressive 9 resistances, and as such can make great switch-ins versus a lot of threats, even if they don't intend on staying (switch to tran to take Delibird's Brave Bird, then, on the next turn, switch to Charizard who is immune to Drill Run, compared to eating a STAB Brave Bird on Zard). But if they're holding an Air Balloon, it pops ! Shuca Berry circumvents this, allowing them to survive most Earthquakes (EQ isn't a guaranteed KO on Shuca Tran for the following mons: Rhyperior, +2 Salamence, +3 Altaria, CB Dugtrio, non-Life Orb Excadrill, and even Groudon's Precipice Blades !), and allows them to use their many resistances while keeping their item secret, which can be very tricky to deal with, particularly in the case of Heatran who can generate Choice Specs and Choice Scarf: if the opponent switches in Magnezone, thinking the Tran is Choice-locked into Flash Cannon, they might just lose it.

As this suggestion was inspired by DPP Shuca Berry Tran, I imagine there are quite a few notable Pokémon that could benefit from a type-Berry, but I'm not too familiar with modern gens other than in randbats so I don't really have other suggestions than Shuca. What really motivated me to post this, anyways, was Air Balloon's poor synergy with the mons' many resistances.

I know that Air Balloon has benefits over Shucca (escaping Duggy, avoiding Spikes), which is why I still think it's a good item for them. But I think Shuca could be a great addition to both of their item pools which would keep opponents on their toes !

Ceruledge

Ceruledge can turn into quite the scary sweeper once it gets a Swords Dance off with its great STABs and Bitter Blade's healing, but its Speed can often be an issue. Weak Armor remedies this problem, but Ceruledge's poor 75/80 physical bulk often prevents it from surviving the move that would trigger it. This could be remedied with a Focus Sash ! Swords Dance on an expected physical move, and attempt to sweep at +2 with +1 Speed.

I understand that forgoing HDB on a Stealth Rock weak mon is a big no-no, and as such this could be a lead-only set, like Eviolite Scyther (my beloved).

I also think that Ceruledge could pull off Flash Fire + Tera Fire + Bulk Up + Bitter Blade spam, but I haven't put much thought into it, so let's move on.

Pivot Squawkabilly

This doesn't need a lot of explanation. Squawks gets Intimidate, Parting Shot, Roost, and U-Turn, all of which make him a good candidate for a pivot set with HDB, with interesting other options like Tailwind, Feather Dance, Fake Tears, Copycat ...

Bluffing HDB

If you hadn't noticed by now, I LOVE bluffing sets in Pokémon, so I'd like to suggest HDB Unaware Clefable (appears to be Magic Guard, so the opponent might not bother with status moves), as well as HDB Heatproof Bronzong (appears to be Levitate, so you can counter hit your opponent's Fire Pokémon with EQ thanks to Heatproof's fire damage reduction. I use this a lot as a lead in DPP with Custap + Explosion). Admitedly these sets work better in constructed thanks to specific EV investments that take advantage of the bluff, and with randbats EVs might not be worth the opportunity cost, but was worth mentioning.

King's Rock + Beat Up / Triple Axel

I don't know if movesets that abuse hax are against randbats' philosophy (not that I can tell at least, see: Jirachi, Dunsparce), but when I saw Fezandipiti with Beat Up my first reaction was to be excited for it to have King's Rock. With 6 mons, King's Rock gives Beat Up a 46.8% Flinch chance, and synergizes very well with Toxic Chain by locking down the foe while it takes Poison damage.

This could also work with Weavile, giving it a King's Rock set with Beat up and Triple Axel, but the absence of Toxic Chain makes this worse and comes at a high opportunity cost given Weavile's excellent sweeping potential. Weavile is also much frailer than Fezandipiti and lacks recovery, so not getting a flinch has much worse consequences in its case.

Flygon

Flygon's current possible moves are Dragon Dance, EQ, Outrage, Stone Edge, and U-Turn. Any set generated by these 5 moves is stonewalled by Bronzong, Skarm, and Corv, all of which take heavy damage from Fire Blast, so I would suggest adding it to its non-Choice Band movepool.

I'd also like to suggest a Mixed Attacker set for it. Possible generated moves could be Outrage, Meteor, Fire Blast, Quake, U-Turn and Stone Edge, with Life Orb or Expert Belt. The latter is especially good at punishing enemies expecting to be fighting a Choice-locked Flygon. This set is straight from DPP OU.

AV + Drain Punch Bulky Fighting types

e.g. Hariyama and Conkeldurr. Iron Hands already gets it ; Drain Punch really helps their survivability. I personally really like Guts with AV + Drain Punch as it turns your mon into a fantastic status absorber, but from what I can tell randbats doesn't really like giving Guts to mons who lack a status orb or Rest ; still throwing it out there.

Tera suggestions for mons with Adaptability

I think this is the third time I post about Basculin in this thread, I really hate Tera Water on it. For those who don't know, Tera-ing to a type you already have on a mon with Adaptability provides a laughably tiny damage boost to STAB, from x2 to x2.25. The bonus is so small that in many cases, it doesn't secure kills that you already had a shot at with a high damage roll (example: Basculin's Wave Crash goes from 85.9-101.2 against Falinks before Tera to 96.7-113.6 after). IMO Basculin would be much better off with Tera Normal to be able to swap to spamming Double-Edges as strong as its Wave Crash in a pinch (which deals 57.4-67.9 to +0 Dondozo, followed by 38.6-45.8 at +1: a total of 90-110.7 taking into account Leftos). I'm not even saying we have to drop Tera Water ; but there's clear value in adding Normal to its Tera pool.

Basculegion suffers from the same movepool issues as Basculin so a Tera other than Ghost and Water is hard to come up with. Perhaps Normal + Double-Edge could be worth trying out ?

Note that Gumshoos, Crawdaunt, and Dragalge already have Teras that allow them to snap to a new, equally devastating attacking type with Tera (Ground, Fighting, and Water respectively). I just think the little fishies should be given that same opportunity.

Magnezone

Magnet Pull is indeed an extremely powerful ability, but it rarely gets to shine. A lot of steel types carry Earthquake which obliterates Magnezone, or can Tera out of their Steel type, and sometimes, the opponent's team doesn't even have a Steel type, making Zone functionally lack an ability.

Due to this, I'd like to make the following suggestions to improve M-Zone :

• Add another "role" for M-Zone as a bulky Analytic attacker with Assault Vest, Shuca Berry, Sub + Leftovers (its myriad of resistances is sure to create a lot of switches), or Air Balloon.
  • Add Air Balloon and/or Shuca Berry to its list of possible items, and Magnet Rise + Sub with Magnet Pull to circumvent the frequent carrying of EQ by its targets.

Tweak team generating algorithm to consider Freeze-Dry when avoiding weakness stacking

As far as I know, the team generation algorithm will prevent having more than 3 mons that share a weakness. I'd like to suggest considering weakness to Freeze-Dry during this process: this is obviously anecdotal, but illustrates my point: I once generated a team with 3 mons weak to Ice and a Water type, so an opposing Iron Bundle with Freeze Dry would've been awful to deal with.

That's all folks ! (for now)

Thanks for taking the time to read my mammoth post ! These set ideas had been picking up dust in my phone's Notes application for a few months, and I'm happy I finally took the time to type all this out. I'm very open to any of these opinions being challenged, and I'm very interested in hearing what yall think of them. Cheers !

Edit : Grammar
Edit 2 : Clarity

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Hello, after about 1500 battles here are some set suggestions and improvements I came up with, forgive me if the expected format is 1 suggestion per post. I'll try to be concise, rather than writing a lengthy essay about all of my suggestions, but will happily provide more context and thought process for any one point in further discussion.

Hustle + Aerial Ace

Hustle is a great ability that allows to wallbreak with no setup, but its accuracy drop can cut a guaranteed sweep short.
My suggestion would be to add Aerial Ace to Delibird and Squawkabilly's Hustle sets to remedy this. This also brings the benefit of Flying STAB without recoil, and will still deal some impressive damage thanks to Hustle (Arboliva takes 94 - 110.8 from Squawk's Aerial Ace, Abomasnow takes 71.8-85.4 factoring Snow, and Amoonguss is a guaranteed OHKO !). To be clear I'm not saying Aerial Ace should replace Brave Bird ; rather, it should be a possible complement to it.

I'm less sure about Lilligant and Flapple. Both of these guys' only perfectly-accurate physical move is Aerial Ace, so they wouldn't have STAB like Delibird and Squawkabilly would ... The former would have to give up critical coverage in Ice Spiiner to hit Flying types that resist both its STABs. Flapple gets DD, Grav Apple, Outrage, and one of : Tera Blast (forces Tera Fire) to hit Steel types which resist both its STABs ; U-Turn which creates momentum (unless it misses ...) ; and Sucker Punch which remedies its under-average Speed of 173 before Dragon Dancing. Despite this, I think Aerial Ace could still be considered on these mons, as, again, after a Dragon Dance / Victory Dance, the opponent's only hope might rely in a critical Hustle-caused miss. I think it's at least worth a spin on some low-chance-of-generation sets.
I know y'all don't like Hustle, but Aerial Ace is extremely weak and defeats the entire point of Hustle's power boost. It will not be added to any of these Pokemon, and neither will Wide Lens.

Shuca Berry as an alternative to Air Balloon

AFAIK, Air Balloon is a possible item for Revavroom* and Heatran, so I'll just make my case for these two. Not to say I'd like to replace Air Balloon with Shuca Berry on them, but I think it's a good alternative.

*Seems Air Balloon was removed for Revavroom, but I still think Shuca would work well on it, and I don't want to fix the grammar on this entire part of my post

Air Balloon can put you in a bit of an awkward position. Revavroom and Heatran both have an impressive 9 resistances, and as such can make great switch-ins versus a lot of threats, even if they don't intend on staying (switch to tran to take Delibird's Brave Bird, then, on the next turn, switch to Charizard who is immune to Drill Run, compared to eating a STAB Brave Bird on Zard). But if they're holding an Air Balloon, it pops ! Shuca Berry circumvents this, allowing them to survive most Earthquakes (EQ isn't a guaranteed KO on Shuca Tran for the following mons: Rhyperior, +2 Salamence, +3 Altaria, CB Dugtrio, non-Life Orb Excadrill, and even Groudon's Precipice Blades !), and allows them to use their many resistances while keeping their item secret, which can be very tricky to deal with, particularly in the case of Heatran who can generate Choice Specs and Choice Scarf: if the opponent switches in Magnezone, thinking the Tran is Choice-locked into Flash Cannon, they might just lose it.

As this suggestion was inspired by DPP Shuca Berry Tran, I imagine there are quite a few notable Pokémon that could benefit from a type-Berry, but I'm not too familiar with modern gens other than in randbats so I don't really have other suggestions than Shuca. What really motivated me to post this, anyways, was Air Balloon's poor synergy with the mons' many resistances.

I know that Air Balloon has benefits over Shucca (escaping Duggy, avoiding Spikes), which is why I still think it's a good item for them. But I think Shuca could be a great addition to both of their item pools which would keep opponents on their toes !
Shuca Berry will not be added to Heatran because it still would die to most offensive Ground moves anyway and this would cause complaints, not to mention the other Pokemon that run Air Balloon would also prefer not to run Shuca Berry instead for similar reasons. However, Heatran will gain a Leftovers Protect set soon.

Ceruledge

Ceruledge can turn into quite the scary sweeper once it gets a Swords Dance off with its great STABs and Bitter Blade's healing, but its Speed can often be an issue. Weak Armor remedies this problem, but Ceruledge's poor 75/80 physical bulk often prevents it from surviving the move that would trigger it. This could be remedied with a Focus Sash ! Swords Dance on an expected physical move, and attempt to sweep at +2 with +1 Speed.

I understand that forgoing HDB on a Stealth Rock weak mon is a big no-no, and as such this could be a lead-only set, like Eviolite Scyther (my beloved).

I also think that Ceruledge could pull off Flash Fire + Tera Fire + Bulk Up + Bitter Blade spam, but I haven't put much thought into it, so let's move on.
Ceruledge has consistently been performing just fine as it is and does not need to become a matchup fish or try anything other than what it's currently doing. Denied.

Pivot Squawkabilly

This doesn't need a lot of explanation. Squawks gets Intimidate, Parting Shot, Roost, and U-Turn, all of which make him a good candidate for a pivot set with HDB, with interesting other options like Tailwind, Feather Dance, Fake Tears, Copycat ...
Guts and Hustle are deemed better by the staff, and every one of those "other options" does not hold merit. Denied.

Bluffing HDB

If you hadn't noticed by now, I LOVE bluffing sets in Pokémon, so I'd like to suggest HDB Unaware Clefable (appears to be Magic Guard, so the opponent might not bother with status moves), as well as HDB Heatproof Bronzong (appears to be Levitate, so you can counter hit your opponent's Fire Pokémon with EQ thanks to Heatproof's fire damage reduction. I use this a lot as a lead in DPP with Custap + Explosion). Admitedly these sets work better in constructed thanks to specific EV investments that take advantage of the bluff, and with randbats EVs might not be worth the opportunity cost, but was worth mentioning.
This requires additional code specific to Clefable (otherwise known as a hardcode) and is therefore denied due to hardcodes being undesirable.

King's Rock + Beat Up / Triple Axel

I don't know if movesets that abuse hax are against randbats' philosophy (not that I can tell at least, see: Jirachi, Dunsparce), but when I saw Fezandipiti with Beat Up my first reaction was to be excited for it to have King's Rock. With 6 mons, King's Rock gives Beat Up a 46.8% Flinch chance, and synergizes very well with Toxic Chain by locking down the foe while it takes Poison damage.

This could also work with Weavile, giving it a King's Rock set with Beat up and Triple Axel, but the absence of Toxic Chain makes this worse and comes at a high opportunity cost given Weavile's excellent sweeping potential. Weavile is also much frailer than Fezandipiti and lacks recovery, so not getting a flinch has much worse consequences in its case.
We are not adding King's Rock to Random Battles. This is non-negotiable.

Flygon

Flygon's current possible moves are Dragon Dance, EQ, Outrage, Stone Edge, and U-Turn. Any set generated by these 5 moves is stonewalled by Bronzong, Skarm, and Corv, all of which take heavy damage from Fire Blast, so I would suggest adding it to its non-Choice Band movepool.

I'd also like to suggest a Mixed Attacker set for it. Possible generated moves could be Outrage, Meteor, Fire Blast, Quake, U-Turn and Stone Edge, with Life Orb or Expert Belt. The latter is especially good at punishing enemies expecting to be fighting a Choice-locked Flygon. This set is straight from DPP OU.
We'd just add Fire Punch to it if we cared. That would be our preference.
There is also no such thing as a "non-Choice Band movepool" currently.
Draco Meteor and Outrage cannot generate on the same moveset.
The proposed mixed set would generate an Assault Vest in most cases and would require a hardcode to not do so.
Coverage for three Pokemon is not necessarily something we're going to add new coding complications to a Pokemon to accommodate.
Adding a Fire Blast set would lower the rate of Dragon Dance to significantly under 50%, and that's seen as undesirable due to Dragon Dance easily being Flygon's most effective set.
Adding Fire Punch to the existing set would create Choice item sets without U-turn, and this is also seen as undesirable.

Due to all of these reasons, this is denied.

AV + Drain Punch Bulky Fighting types

e.g. Hariyama and Conkeldurr. Iron Hands already gets it ; Drain Punch really helps their survivability. I personally really like Guts with AV + Drain Punch as it turns your mon into a fantastic status absorber, but from what I can tell randbats doesn't really like giving Guts to mons who lack a status orb or Rest ; still throwing it out there.
Gurdurr fulfills the same role AV Conk would, and as such Conkeldurr prefers running its usual Flame Orb fare. Hariyama does run Assault Vest Thick Fat, but does not run Drain Punch due to it not actually recovering much HP percentage from it due to Hariyama's massive HP stat. As such, these suggestions are denied.

Tera suggestions for mons with Adaptability

I think this is the third time I post about Basculin in this thread, I really hate Tera Water on it. For those who don't know, Tera-ing to a type you already have on a mon with Adaptability provides a laughably tiny damage boost to STAB, from x2 to x2.25. The bonus is so small that in many cases, it doesn't secure kills that you already had a shot at with a high damage roll (example: Basculin's Wave Crash goes from 85.9-101.2 against Falinks before Tera to 96.7-113.6 after). IMO Basculin would be much better off with Tera Normal to be able to swap to spamming Double-Edges as strong as its Wave Crash in a pinch (which deals 57.4-67.9 to +0 Dondozo, followed by 38.6-45.8 at +1: a total of 90-110.7 taking into account Leftos). I'm not even saying we have to drop Tera Water ; but there's clear value in adding Normal to its Tera pool.

Basculegion suffers from the same movepool issues as Basculin so a Tera other than Ghost and Water is hard to come up with. Perhaps Normal + Double-Edge could be worth trying out ?

Note that Gumshoos, Crawdaunt, and Dragalge already have Teras that allow them to snap to a new, equally devastating attacking type with Tera (Ground, Fighting, and Water respectively). I just think the little fishies should be given that same opportunity.
One thing you've completely not taken account of is that when Terastallizing an Adaptability Pokemon into a different typing, you completely lose the Adaptability boost on your previous STAB moves. Basculin/Basculegion/SD Crawdaunt's tera types aren't about boosting offensively, they're about not terastallizing them into something that makes their best moves significantly weaker. All suggestions to this effect are, as such, denied.

Magnezone

Magnet Pull is indeed an extremely powerful ability, but it rarely gets to shine. A lot of steel types carry Earthquake which obliterates Magnezone, or can Tera out of their Steel type, and sometimes, the opponent's team doesn't even have a Steel type, making Zone functionally lack an ability.

Due to this, I'd like to make the following suggestions to improve M-Zone :

• Add another "role" for M-Zone as a bulky Analytic attacker with Assault Vest, Shuca Berry, Sub + Leftovers (its myriad of resistances is sure to create a lot of switches), or Air Balloon.
  • Add Air Balloon and/or Shuca Berry to its list of possible items, and Magnet Rise + Sub with Magnet Pull to circumvent the frequent carrying of EQ by its targets.
Denied on account of all relevant suggestions requiring at least one hardcode to implement. Magnezone is doing fine. Magnet Pull is controversial, but optimal.

Tweak team generating algorithm to consider Freeze-Dry when avoiding weakness stacking
We're already doing this soon, but to not drastically impact the rate of Ice-resistant Pokemon in the format, we would need to make it a limit of 4 pokemon weak to freeze dry maximum per team. We can't do better than that.

I apologize that almost every one of the suggestions is denied, but that is simply the development process; most suggestions don't make it through, especially without proper knowledge of the code.

Was given a Feraligatr set with sheer force and trailblaze. Not sure what kind of coverage is needed with a grass type move that water doesn't cover outside of water itself, but you can't even get speed from trailblaze due to sheer force.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Was given a Feraligatr set with sheer force and trailblaze. Not sure what kind of coverage is needed with a grass type move that water doesn't cover outside of water itself, but you can't even get speed from trailblaze due to sheer force.
Feraligatr needs to hit water and this is the best move it has to do that. It's not going to be changed. Not getting the speed boost is purposeful.

i get that aeroblast is 25 bp stronger than air slash but 8 pp is a huge problem on it imo, i find that i can never get sweeps with lugia since its special attack stat is very mid + i always run out of pp on aeroblast, i think having 16 more pp + a flinch chance with good speed is better

Tarrembeau

le moi est incommunicable
is a Community Contributor
i get that aeroblast is 25 bp stronger than air slash but 8 pp is a huge problem on it imo, i find that i can never get sweeps with lugia since its special attack stat is very mid + i always run out of pp on aeroblast, i think having 16 more pp + a flinch chance with good speed is better
Lugia is currently top 3 mons in winrates despite a level drop, so I'm unsure a change is actually warranted on it rn

One thing you've completely not taken account of is that when Terastallizing an Adaptability Pokemon into a different typing, you completely lose the Adaptability boost on your previous STAB moves. Basculin/Basculegion/SD Crawdaunt's tera types aren't about boosting offensively, they're about not terastallizing them into something that makes their best moves significantly weaker. All suggestions to this effect are, as such, denied.
I have no strong opinion on the matter, but I believe this misses the point. Sure, Tera Normal Basculin may be a niche option because it makes Double Edge stronger at the cost of making Wave Crash weaker, but there is very little reason to Tera Water Basculin in the first place (you just gain a measly 12.5% power boost on Water moves, get nothing defensively, and waste your Tera option). At least with Tera Normal you get a new typing which may be useful to avoid a revenge kill, or it can make Basculin do something in a matchup full of Water resists.
Overall, I don't really think it matters what Tera type Basculin get (both are niche), but if your goal is to "not terastallizing them into something that makes their best moves significantly weaker", you always have the option of just... not using Tera. At least Tera Normal changes some offensive and defensive matchups (not great, but better than nothing).

For Basculegion however, I think that there are some common situations where you just want to lose the Ghost typing (to survive a Shadow Ball/Knock Off/etc.) and Tera Water is probably better than anything else because it does not weaken Wave Crash.

pokeblade101

is a Community Contributor
RBTT Champion
I have no strong opinion on the matter, but I believe this misses the point. Sure, Tera Normal Basculin may be a niche option because it makes Double Edge stronger at the cost of making Wave Crash weaker, but there is very little reason to Tera Water Basculin in the first place (you just gain a measly 12.5% power boost on Water moves, get nothing defensively, and waste your Tera option). At least with Tera Normal you get a new typing which may be useful to avoid a revenge kill, or it can make Basculin do something in a matchup full of Water resists.
Overall, I don't really think it matters what Tera type Basculin get (both are niche), but if your goal is to "not terastallizing them into something that makes their best moves significantly weaker", you always have the option of just... not using Tera. At least Tera Normal changes some offensive and defensive matchups (not great, but better than nothing).

For Basculegion however, I think that there are some common situations where you just want to lose the Ghost typing (to survive a Shadow Ball/Knock Off/etc.) and Tera Water is probably better than anything else because it does not weaken Wave Crash.
You make a good argument but I think you are undermining the usefulness of Tera Water. It actually turns a lot of almost kos / unsure kos into ohkos even if it goes from x2 to x2.25. It is just that strong. There was even a calc above showing this. In addition, it helps with aqua jet knock outs and significantly stronger flip turns. I wouldn't call it measly.

With that said, I see the strength of Tera Normal as it replaces Wave Crash as the main stab to take out water immunities and resists that it struggles with. And as you said, it could be used defensively in a pinch. I would not mind a 50/50 roll between normal and water to see how it goes but I am skeptical.

i don't like shed tail as an option for smeargle at all, i find that you'll never really get a good opportunity to use it since smeargle is really frail and almost always gets sent down to its focus sash and even if you do pull it off you lose 50% health, lose your focus sash and have no means of recovery unlike cyclizar and sometimes orthworm

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
i don't like shed tail as an option for smeargle at all, i find that you'll never really get a good opportunity to use it since smeargle is really frail and almost always gets sent down to its focus sash and even if you do pull it off you lose 50% health, lose your focus sash and have no means of recovery unlike cyclizar and sometimes orthworm
ok

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
i don't like life orb 3 attacks calm mind latias, imo you should get leftovers for that and get life orb for the one with recover
Unfortunately that's not really how item generation works, so we wouldn't be able to do that easily. I'll discuss potential changes to Latias with the staff, but that probably won't be among them.

Last edited:
I may be mistaken but it doesn't look like Vaporeon gets Toxic in randbats. Is there a reason as to why because I feel like Toxic is essential so it can have better utility as a stall mon?

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Hi, just dropping in to say I think Psychic Noise should be re-evaluated for certain offensive mons. The big examples I've come across are with AV variants of Reuniclus and Hatterene, where the BP drop from Pnoise compared to Psychic makes itself known quite often since they want to hit hard more than anything. With Reun in particular it means your best move for immediate neutral damage is Focus Miss, which is an absolute crime (Future Sight not counting as "immediate damage" for obvious reasons). It's theoretically cool in that you can use Fsight and then heal block something until it hits, but in practice I just find it frustrating. Not sure if others share this opinion, just putting it out there

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Hi, just dropping in to say I think Psychic Noise should be re-evaluated for certain offensive mons. The big examples I've come across are with AV variants of Reuniclus and Hatterene, where the BP drop from Pnoise compared to Psychic makes itself known quite often since they want to hit hard more than anything. With Reun in particular it means your best move for immediate neutral damage is Focus Miss, which is an absolute crime (Future Sight not counting as "immediate damage" for obvious reasons). It's theoretically cool in that you can use Fsight and then heal block something until it hits, but in practice I just find it frustrating. Not sure if others share this opinion, just putting it out there
Assault Vest Reuniclus is being deleted next week and Hatterene is not an offensive Pokemon.

i don't like life orb 3 attacks calm mind latias, imo you should get leftovers for that and get life orb for the one with recover
I'd be down for Soul Dew on dual stabs cm recover latias and latios. The drawback-less 1.2x damage boost is worth giving up lefties IMO. 3 attacks cm should probably stay Life Orb though... boosting aura sphere's damage is important vs steel types.

I think Iron Thorns could probably remove heavy duty boots as a potential item and have it be either air balloon or AV on its "Fast Support" set. I just feel it's weird to have boots on something that isn't weak to rocks, or can remove them. Air balloon is more useful most games, plus while it's intact it works somewhat similarly to boots to stop webs or spikes.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
I think Iron Thorns could probably remove heavy duty boots as a potential item and have it be either air balloon or AV on its "Fast Support" set. I just feel it's weird to have boots on something that isn't weak to rocks, or can remove them. Air balloon is more useful most games, plus while it's intact it works somewhat similarly to boots to stop webs or spikes.
The Fast Support role generates boots with pivoting moves and <4 attacks. This is seen as desirable by the staff due to how powerful hazards often are in the format. Boots Iron Thorns, as a result, is unlikely to be changed.

Nuzzle on raichu in gen6/7 needs to be removed to stop generating AV raichu.
Nuzzle is not bad, but AV raichu is bad. Raichu needs LO to be good.
The argument that recoil for a 20 basepower move is not worth it is a strong argument.
Thus the only thing left to do is remove nuzzle to stop generating that bad set.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Is there any way to guarantee that a team has both physical and special attackers because I've pulled a few matchups that are quite literally 100-0 into things like ID Skarmory. Removal/hazards are also still a massive balance issue but they have been that way all gen and I don't expect that to change.

Attachments

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Is there any way to guarantee that a team has both physical and special attackers because I've pulled a few matchups that are quite literally 100-0 into things like ID Skarmory. Removal/hazards are also still a massive balance issue but they have been that way all gen and I don't expect that to change.
Classifying Pokemon as physical or special attackers and enforcing a specific number of each is not possible, and council has also decided that pursuing the hazards issue further is neither feasible nor productive, given gen 9 already has the highest rate of hazard removal of any rands gen.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)