Format Discussion Scarlet/Violet Random Battle Sets

I do not like how other people's post get replied to except mine. This is twice i post in these kind of threads and twice it gets ignored while all surrounding queries do not. I understand if there is a precedent of some questions being ignored but it seems like most are answered in a timely fashion. I do not understand why I have to message auth privately to get a decent answer.

Please provide an explanation. very lame.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Nuzzle on raichu in gen6/7 needs to be removed to stop generating AV raichu.
Nuzzle is not bad, but AV raichu is bad. Raichu needs LO to be good.
The argument that recoil for a 20 basepower move is not worth it is a strong argument.
Thus the only thing left to do is remove nuzzle to stop generating that bad set.
No, and also there's a thread for past gens sets that isn't this one
I do not like how other people's post get replied to except mine. This is twice i post in these kind of threads and twice it gets ignored while all surrounding queries do not. I understand if there is a precedent of some questions being ignored but it seems like most are answered in a timely fashion. I do not understand why I have to message auth privately to get a decent answer.

Please provide an explanation. very lame.
Unintentional. Sometimes I miss stuff or just forget to reply. I try to reply to everything if someone else hasn't already but that's not always sustainable. I apologize.

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Can Rapid Spin Tentacruel get Clear Body more often, like when it doesn’t get Boots? It would be nice to be able to come in on webs without getting slowed down.
tentacruel does not get boots

on staff discussion staff neither want to give tentacruel boots nor remove Liquid Ooze. This suggestion is therefore denied.

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Why is there dazzling gleam instead of alluring voice?
We intend to discuss and test Alluring Voice vs Dazzling Gleam on several mons once the format settles a bit and we have some data. Possibly making them a roll? At least on the fairy types (Alcremie and Wigglytuff); non-STAB users probably prefer to bypass sub.

Sylveon will definitely keep Hyper Voice though, the damage difference is too significant.
As stated earlier, we are testing having Dazzling Gleam and Alluring Voice as a roll on Alcremie and Wigglytuff, as they otherwise lose to Throat Chop Dark-types as supposed checks to Dark-types. If their win rates decrease, we will revert this change.

not the biggest deal but is there a reason why white stripe basculin isn't counted in the cosmetic changes, it does the same as red and blue

Okay so I has some of what may be the dumbest ideas ever suggested but here I go... (note these are just some crazy ideas that I has the sudden urge to share lol)

First of all, Sunflora having Growth in it's moveset would be both interesting and great for Sunflora to have even more (maybe) potential as a setup sweeper. With Sunny Day, Growth gives it a +2 boost in Special Attack, and combined with Chlorophyll, can outspeed and OHKO so many mons. The set I figured would work best with this new idea is Sunny Day/Growth/Solar Beam/Weather Ball. This gives Grass and Fire coverage, dealing with most types barring things like Dragon. Of course, there are disadvantages, such as the fact that it has to take two hits to really be useful and the fact that without Sun, it's basically useless, but this set could still bring a heavy impact on the rands scene if it reaches its full potential.

Second, we have Choice Specs Blissey (the updated version).. Blissey has 75 SpA as is, which isn't great, but combined with its bulk, it might actually be worth more than just pure stall. The new offensive Blissey that I'm for some reason suggesting would have a moveset of Hyper Voice/Flamethrower or Fire Blast/Ice Beam or Thunderbolt/Alluring Voice. Hyper Voice is great as its the strongest reliable STAB Blissey has (and I'm pretty sure it bypasses Sub. Next, Fire and Ice are great offensive types so Flamethrower/Fire Blast (depending on whether power or accuracy seems more important) and Ice Beam are great options. Finally, Alurring Voice is Blissey's option for Fighting types. Of course, Choice Specs Blissey may not be the strongest, but its generally high bulk (we don't talk about the horrible defense stat) and its passable SpA and expansive movepool make this set at least interesting I guess....

That's it ig

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
First of all, Sunflora having Growth in it's moveset would be both interesting and great for Sunflora to have even more (maybe) potential as a setup sweeper. With Sunny Day, Growth gives it a +2 boost in Special Attack, and combined with Chlorophyll, can outspeed and OHKO so many mons. The set I figured would work best with this new idea is Sunny Day/Growth/Solar Beam/Weather Ball. This gives Grass and Fire coverage, dealing with most types barring things like Dragon. Of course, there are disadvantages, such as the fact that it has to take two hits to really be useful and the fact that without Sun, it's basically useless, but this set could still bring a heavy impact on the rands scene if it reaches its full potential.
Having to click two setup moves doesn't seem like something sunflora can afford tho

And Blissey... does it really 3HKO anything by being stuck on a move?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Okay so I has some of what may be the dumbest ideas ever suggested but here I go... (note these are just some crazy ideas that I has the sudden urge to share lol)

Second, we have Choice Specs Blissey (the updated version).. Blissey has 75 SpA as is, which isn't great, but combined with its bulk, it might actually be worth more than just pure stall. The new offensive Blissey that I'm for some reason suggesting would have a moveset of Hyper Voice/Flamethrower or Fire Blast/Ice Beam or Thunderbolt/Alluring Voice. Hyper Voice is great as its the strongest reliable STAB Blissey has (and I'm pretty sure it bypasses Sub. Next, Fire and Ice are great offensive types so Flamethrower/Fire Blast (depending on whether power or accuracy seems more important) and Ice Beam are great options. Finally, Alurring Voice is Blissey's option for Fighting types. Of course, Choice Specs Blissey may not be the strongest, but its generally high bulk (we don't talk about the horrible defense stat) and its passable SpA and expansive movepool make this set at least interesting I guess....

That's it ig
Alongside Irpa’s good point of Sunflora never being able to click setup twice really (and its item would need to become Heat Rock because it burns a turn of sun on Growth), the main reason that set would be bad is being walled by both Dragon- and Fire-Types. Sunflora already struggles with one of them resisting both its strongest attacks with no SE coverage for it, so making that problem worse is undesirable.

Not mentioning Shadow Ball on Blissey is funny to me because we tested that before and generally liked it as an option (but its winrate lowered). Anyway, we still get daily complaints about the commonality of choice in this format, so adding choice to Blissey would essentially never happen. There are much better Specs users who don’t have Specs solely because choice is complained about so much.

For Mismagius, would like to suggest trying a set like this for the Nasty Plot variant.

1707321337497.png

I wonder if the extra coverage is better, or the ability to punish switches from Shadow Ball being really spammable and strong; I wouldn't be surprised if this is a downgrade, but I wonder what you think.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
For Mismagius, would like to suggest trying a set like this for the Nasty Plot variant.

View attachment 602137

I wonder if the extra coverage is better, or the ability to punish switches from Shadow Ball being really spammable and strong; I wouldn't be surprised if this is a downgrade, but I wonder what you think.
We can make SubPlot happen. Sets don't exactly work like this usually, so it'll look slightly different (the coverage move and tera type will be randomized between a few options, and Life Orb Plot 3 Attacks will still exist too), but yeah we'll totally add SubPlot as an option

I just had a battle where Mespirit having Psychic Noise over Psychic denied me multiple knockouts. First against a Heracross at 76% (Psychic does 74.1 - 88% and Psychic Noise only does 61 - 72.5%), forcing me to switch. Later in the match, I was against a Flamigo using Throat Chop. Mespirit can tank the hit and ko back, but Throat Chop blocks Psychic Noise. Maybe I just ended up in unlucky situations, but questioning whether the heal block effect is worth the damage tradeoff/psychic noise being a sound move.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
I just had a battle where Mespirit having Psychic Noise over Psychic denied me multiple knockouts. First against a Heracross at 76% (Psychic does 74.1 - 88% and Psychic Noise only does 61 - 72.5%), forcing me to switch. Later in the match, I was against a Flamigo using Throat Chop. Mespirit can tank the hit and ko back, but Throat Chop blocks Psychic Noise. Maybe I just ended up in unlucky situations, but questioning whether the heal block effect is worth the damage tradeoff/psychic noise being a sound move.
The set development team has remained firm in that Psychic Noise's current distribution in Random Battles is just what it should be. Mesprit usually does have Psychic, but the supportive Drain Punch set does run Psychic Noise sometimes. The option is valuable to increase it's effectiveness against bulky pokemon with recovery or draining moves. It will not be removed from any Pokemon that currently runs it at this time.

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Why has Sludge Bomb replaced Hypnosis on Palossand? It feels like poor coverage outside of some VERY specific mons (Arbo, Ribombee, Grass/Dark-types, a few birbs) that I would never trade Stealth Rock or the threat of sleep for, given that those suit Palo's predominantly defensive role more. Tera Poison is fine tho, kind of a sidegrade to water for it defensively

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Why has Sludge Bomb replaced Hypnosis on Palossand? It feels like poor coverage outside of some VERY specific mons (Arbo, Ribombee, Grass/Dark-types, a few birbs) that I would never trade Stealth Rock or the threat of sleep for, given that those suit Palo's predominantly defensive role more. Tera Poison is fine tho, kind of a sidegrade to water for it defensively
If Sludge Bomb lowers Palossand's win rate, it'll be removed. It was just added and is currently being tested.

I may be missing something, but what exactly is the purpose of having both eviolite Chansey and then also Blissey? Their move pools are basically the exact same and they serve the exact same role on a team. Other eviolite users at least have noticeable differences in what they bring to the table.

I may be missing something, but what exactly is the purpose of having both eviolite Chansey and then also Blissey? Their move pools are basically the exact same and they serve the exact same role on a team. Other eviolite users at least have noticeable differences in what they bring to the table.
In gen 9, Aromatherapy doesn’t exist and there are only 3 fully evolved Pokémon that learn Heal Bell: Blissey, Chimecho, and Smeargle. Smeargle has better things to do, so including Chansey greatly increases the odds of getting cleric support. That said, the recent removal of the restriction on Pokémon with the exact same type combo means you can now theoretically get both Chansey and Blissey on the same team which seems very undesirable. I sure wouldn’t mind a special exception that prevents that…

Last edited:
Garchomp would be a lot more useful with Rocky Helmet. Its sweeping potential leaves a lot to be desired, and dealing a lot of damage by coming in on a physical hit could help it make more meaningful progress on average. It would probably be a direct upgrade from Loaded Dice. A utility set with Stealth Rock or Spikes, Earthquake, Fire Blast, and Dragon Tail @ Rocky Helmet could be a fun set to throw into the mix.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Garchomp would be a lot more useful with Rocky Helmet. Its sweeping potential leaves a lot to be desired, and dealing a lot of damage by coming in on a physical hit could help it make more meaningful progress on average. It would probably be a direct upgrade from Loaded Dice. A utility set with Stealth Rock or Spikes, Earthquake, Fire Blast, and Dragon Tail @ Rocky Helmet could be a fun set to throw into the mix.
That set exists, and Garchomp has Rocky Helmet roughly 40% of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)