Media One Piece (spoilers!)

Well, all we know about Seraphim for now are their resemblance to Lunarians with Pacifista function, and that SSG designed them to resemble the former Warlords.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
maybe im just coping bc i think itd be really cool if vegapunk was a woman but im interested if any of caesar/queen/judge have referred to them explicitly with male pronouns or if it has been more ambiguous. like sparksblade said im sure people will dig up old panels in the next week but i was under the impression that vegapunk is very secretive and the only people who have met them are high ranking marines, MADS, and sentomaru.

also pretty sus to me that bonney is there explicitly to meet with vegapunk when old timer speech in young body. especially with her last appearance before reverie being akainu capturing her from blackbeard right before the timeskip. would make a lot of sense to me if vegapunk was experimenting with bonneys fruit and thats why she has business with vegapunk and also how she got away from WG bc vegapunk ambiguous morals.

super excited for bonney tho! she's one of my favorite supernovas and there's so many interesting plot threads that she intersects with, really hyped to see where oda goes with her character
I’m just glad all of the Supernovas seem to eventually be getting their character development as hoped. Still waiting on Urouge of course but it kinda makes sense he’d be last with the Skypiea arc and the foreshadowing of its importance.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
1664143654243.png

was reading last 3 chapters' official release and idk how i never noticed the egghead island mention. maybe some other koby friends will be there at egghead and will give details as to what actually happened in the end at amazon lily, and maybe about the rocky port incident too.

we might also see more of seraphims directly cos the marines were ordered to record them in action at amazon lily, and the hancock-seraphim (i think) was more aggressive and careless about marine casualties so vegapunk will want to recalibrate that maybe.

also the mihowk-seraphim seems to have a very large sword just like the real man himself. is that an attempted copy of the yoru? or just a large blade to match the blade-to-man proportions o_o

Lalaya

Banned deucer.
also the mihowk-seraphim seems to have a very large sword just like the real man himself. is that an attempted copy of the yoru? or just a large blade to match the blade-to-man proportions o_o
to be fair a CHIMP had that black blade too (or at least a copy of it) so I wouldn't put past them to replicate them too

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not reading anything posted because it seems like all stuff that would spoiler what happens later (I’m only on episode 207 lol) but

What’s up with that meme that’s been going around where the guy is saying “The One Piece is reeeeeal” and then you hear the Kanye song after? Is it something that I just don’t get because I’m not far enough into the show? Or is it just a meme that’s a meme because it’s a meme lol

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Not reading anything posted because it seems like all stuff that would spoiler what happens later (I’m only on episode 207 lol) but

What’s up with that meme that’s been going around where the guy is saying “The One Piece is reeeeeal” and then you hear the Kanye song after? Is it something that I just don’t get because I’m not far enough into the show? Or is it just a meme that’s a meme because it’s a meme lol
you're a few hundred episodes from that. also enjoy you're prolly at peak one piece fun for around a hundred episodes

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion

It's a quote from the show. One of Better Call Saul's actors was paid to say that quote and after that it blew up.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

i'm caught up and i don't get it either, which is extra frustrating bc i am both a one piece and an MBDTF lover. but i have been reassured that it's "tiktok anime bullshit"

It took me a little while to realize why the case with Yamato and Momo ended up the way it did, and the conclusion I've come to is that Momo is being built up to eventually challenge Yamato to prove to her that he is capable of defending Wano on his own and further encourage Yamato to sail out not only to embrace her freedom at sea to the fullest, but to also accomplish her greater purpose of finding the answer as to why Wano should be opened, likely by going to Laugh Tale.

After Momo read the journal and realized the last page was missing, it left him concerned as to why his dad Oden would want to open Wano in the first place and then decided not to open Wano after that. So it's probably not that Momo is concerned about if he's able to open the borders, but why he should open the borders, and him wanting to surpass Oden would lead to him working hard on his bolo breath aiming and arnament haki usage, presumably trained by Hyogoro, in such a way so as to ultimately become a reliable enough defender. Maybe he'd even challenge Yamato to a fight after finding out she lied to him about why she stayed in order to prove to her once and for all that he has become reliable despite his past failure with the admiral. Would make for a nice parallel too in that just as Momo tried fighting Kaido to get him to leave due to him taking peoples' freedoms, he'd then fight his daughter Yamato to get her to leave due to him wanting his friend to live out her freedom at sea to the fullest.

I admit I'm not the biggest fan of how Oda had all this play out, but assuming he's doing all this for Yamato and Momo's benefit, as well as our benefit of not having our time wasted with Yamato's sailing narrative pushed as much as it was after all, then I think it would make the most sense in that case.

From what I understand, Egghead will be the last breather/exposition arc for the rest of the story. Depending on what other arcs we get after this, I don't know what we'll see after this but before Lodestar, Laugh Tale, and possibly even a Red Line Arc. We could see the crew take care of Blackbeard before the World Government, unless it's another three-way fight turned alliance between BB and the WG. I'm really looking forward to Season 11 from here on out.

However, if or when Yamato is essentially softlocked as the 10th Senior Officer, I wonder if she'll get a cover story arc, and how Oda will handle the whole approach to Yamato forgoing the Oden roleplay, becoming or realizing her own personality instead.

Hey uh, didn't the manga pretty explicitly call out Yamato as male? Could we stop misgendering him please?
Even though Yamato identifies as Kozuki Oden, it’s quite explicit that she’s biologically female. If you want to refer to her by the gender that she identifies with, that’s fine, but there’s nothing wrong with calling her a girl either.

Edit: obviously don’t do this for non-fictitious people; you’ll just end up hurting their feelings that way

SparksBlade

Community Leader
Hey uh, didn't the manga pretty explicitly call out Yamato as male? Could we stop misgendering him please?
iirc in a vivre card or something oda wrote yamato's gender as female and not male (kiku's is written female) and yamato's identity seems to be aimed at just one person instead and therefore using the pronoun of that person instead of identifying as a male. i'm not saying it's just some silly roleplay btw

this is very confusing to me so i don't blame anyone for using either pronoun, i wish oda had made it more clearer

personally, i find myself referring to yamato as a female most times because of the vivre card thing and because yamato not explicitly identifying as a male but as someone who yamato idolised who was male. if you refer to yamato as a male in a conversation with me i won't bat an eye

Even though Yamato identifies as Kozuki Oden, it’s quite explicit that she’s biologically female. If you want to refer to her by the gender that she identifies with, that’s fine, but there’s nothing wrong with calling her a girl either.

Edit: obviously don’t do this for non-fictitious people; you’ll just end up hurting their feelings that way
this reasoning is just wrong cos you shouldn't call kiku a guy x_x that reasoning doesn't hold in real world and in one piece

The introduction page for Yamato introduces her as "Kaido's daughter" and this is supported by other supplemental materials such as the aforementioned vivre cards. It's not clear cut at all and both interpretations of the character (and either pronoun choice) are valid based on textual evidence. It's not like ppl misgendering Kiku who is explicitly stated to be a trans woman by the text
onepiecechapters_984_14.jpeg

Yamato doesn't get offended by being called female or by female pronouns being used on her. She doesn't what to be a guy, she wants to be THE guy, Kozuki Oden. Kiku is very clearly a trans woman, Yamato is a someone who wants to be someone else. I don't think she's trans and due to her circumstances, either pronouns should work

So yeah, One Piece fucking slaps recently. I was so disappointed by the ending and epilogue of Wano, but every chapter afterwards was incredible. Shit's starting to get real and seeing Vegapunk, the SSG, CP0, Teach in action and all these other things that we've been waiting for since years if not decades is amazing. Legit one of the most exciting times to be a OP fan

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yamato doesn't get offended by being called female or by female pronouns being used on her. She doesn't what to be a guy, she wants to be THE guy, Kozuki Oden. Kiku is very clearly a trans woman, Yamato is a someone who wants to be someone else. I don't think she's trans and due to her circumstances, either pronouns should work

So yeah, One Piece fucking slaps recently. I was so disappointed by the ending and epilogue of Wano, but every chapter afterwards was incredible. Shit's starting to get real and seeing Vegapunk, the SSG, CP0, Teach in action and all these other things that we've been waiting for since years if not decades is amazing. Legit one of the most exciting times to be a OP fan
Do they even get referred to by male or female pronouns? I haven't read enough of the original Japanese to know, but in that language "he" and "she" are used exceedingly rarely, only in niche circumstances--

Usually in a lover's relationship (a boy calls his girlfriend "kanojo") or someone of higher status might refer to someone of lower status and also of intimate relationship with pronouns, like a parent referring to their own child, and other weird edge cases. Like if Kaido talked to Luffy about Yamato (which I think was exactly ZERO dialogue) Kaido might refer to Yamato as he/she, but other than that I can't think of any context in the Wano arch where Yamato's pronouns would be used. And even then, using he/she there is totally optional and using names/descriptors are as or even more common. Like Kaido might easily say "that child" instead of "him" or just "Yamato".

Now I'm certainly Luffy DEFINITELY uses 3rd person pronouns for Yamato because Luffy does for EVERYONE. The thing with 3rd person pronouns is that they tend to have the risk of coming off as rude/derrogatory in Japanese, which is why they're used in those niche circumstances where affection is already a given. But the pronoun Luffy uses for EVERYTHING is "Aitsu" which is both derrogatory and affectionate-- you either use it for people you love/feel affectionate towards, or people you flat out hate. Which for Luffy, those two categories is like the sum total of all humanity-- there's almost no one he establishes respectful personal distance with. This is kind of why we love him, and also his rude/brash personality. But "Aitsu", usually translated as "that guy" is a gender neutral pronoun-- used for both male and females and even things (and for Luffy literally everything in existence). Luffy also similarly uses "Koitsu" (this guy), which is the same thing but talking about someone/something immediately present.

As you'd guess from Japan's more conservative culture and the lack of gendered pronoun use in general, gendered pronouns is not something the authors are thinking about much either.

So when you read a translation of One Piece or any other manga, 99% of the she/her/his/him you see is the translator's guess required by English grammar but not present in the original text. Usually that's not an issue-- except for Yamato here and similar characters.

That said, I think Yamato's choice to go join the guys in the men's bath is testament to his gender. Only question up in the air is whether or not he takes offense at "she/her" (in English) which may be up in the air due to lack of that actually happening in Japanese.

Last edited:
From what I understand, Egghead seems to be the final expository arc to set up Laugh Tale. Could we get Eblaf and/or Pirate Island between this and Lodestar? That'd make sense if we need to see the final Road Poneglyph before heading to Lodestar. On top of that, wouldn't it make more sense for Blackbeard to be fought before the World Government, rather than having a three-way fight?

From what I understand, Egghead seems to be the final expository arc to set up Laugh Tale. Could we get Eblaf and/or Pirate Island between this and Lodestar? That'd make sense if we need to see the final Road Poneglyph before heading to Lodestar. On top of that, wouldn't it make more sense for Blackbeard to be fought before the World Government, rather than having a three-way fight?
Blackbeard being anything but the final boss would be weird to me, even with Im etc existing.

Remember how Teach just rolled up at Marineford and got himself involved?

I think it's gonna be the same with OP's finale. What we see right now is both the inevitable rush to a confrontation between the WG and the Strawhats and their allies, and BB's orchestration towards his plan. I think these will tangent eventually at the end

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Blackbeard being anything but the final boss would be weird to me, even with Im etc existing.
I'd prefer vs. BB and then have vs WG as the finale.
Oda needs to remind us that this is a centuries old fascist feudal slave state that violently silences academics, hides a blank century of history, and is opposed by a literal revolutionary army. Beating BB is just beating a weird asshole senpai of Luffy's. The revolutionary battle allied to Sabo and Dragon against the WG is the centuries-in-the-making destiny of the global proletariat will of D.

I'd definitely prefer the Blackbeard pirates last....I'm not sure that's going to happen, but I'd definitely prefer it.

They're the anti-strawhat pirates named after the most famous pirate ever, two devil fruits guy with his crazy wild wacky crew...who wants to be pirate king, who's ridiculous and silly, who planned for years as a unknown guy without a bounty, philosophically similar to the main character, with TWO devil fruits, declaring war against everyone at Marineford, who has honestly done more to move the story and his plans forward than most any villain in this series. How awesome were all his scenes at Jaya. And they're pirates!

Akainu, on the other hand to me, is a bit, boring stoic cookie cutter fascist character in the series. Reminds me of the one-dimensional racist Hody, who is basically a worse more boring version of Arlong. I understand that's The Point, but what I'm trying to say is that the most realistic villains are sometimes too boring and the weird dumb assholes are just...more fun. And I hope Oda doesn't make the final boss like...Imu. Akainu at least has the Ace thing, Imu wasn't introduced until like the last four years.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)