np: UU - Can't Touch This

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hitmontop can somewhat take that set on. If it isn't bulky, he can Mach punch it. If it's a bulky, encore users such as Raichu and Jumpluff can stop it in it's tracks.

No I am no way saying it isn't broken, but those are the options that come to mind when he opts for a sub.

PS: Smurf got banned?!? Why? I better stop posting in the rain dance topic...

Well I am saying it isn't broken, but I guess I'm the only one thinking that way. Poor me, I put more effort into my essay than I do with most of my school essays.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to try out a team with Sucker Punch Umbreon, which I remember calling gimmicky, and I honestly take that back. If it weren't for Sucker Punch, I would've easily lost a ton of the games I've played. Then I realized I don't have Stealth Rock. Which is disappointing because I don't want to get rid of any of my members. So I wanted feedback. Who should I get rid of for a Stealth Rock user?

Ambipom-Umbreon-Hitmontop-Arcanine-Milotic-Venusaur

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well I am saying it isn't broken, but I guess I'm the only one thinking that way. Poor me, I put more effort into my essay than I do with most of my school essays.

Anyway, I decided I wanted to try out a team with Sucker Punch Umbreon, which I remember calling gimmicky, and I honestly take that back. If it weren't for Sucker Punch, I would've easily lost a ton of the games I've played. Then I realized I don't have Stealth Rock. Which is disappointing because I don't want to get rid of any of my members. So I wanted feedback. Who should I get rid of for a Stealth Rock user?

Ambipom-Umbreon-Hitmontop-Arcanine-Milotic-Venusaur
As the premier Sucker Punch user (LOL) I think you may want to opt for an Uxie lead. (It's so darn reliable!)

But really now, Sucker Punch is just an other option. It's not THAT good, and to be honest I find that heal bell is just better. But if your going to be outspeed by a powerful sweeper, you can hardly go wrong using Sucker punch.

Edit: That would make your team veeeeeeery similar to mine. As I have the same set of pokes... but with Raichu in place of K-9.

All right, I'll replace Ambipom with Uxie. But Ambipom is a great Froslass counter with both Taunt and Pursuit. I don't use Low Kick because it does jack to what it's supposed to hit.

All right, I'll replace Ambipom with Uxie. But Ambipom is a great Froslass counter with both Taunt and Pursuit. I don't use Low Kick because it does jack to what it's supposed to hit.
Im curious to know what Ambipom is doing jack to with Low Kick that its supposed to hit. Registeel is always 2HKOed, hell even Steelix is always 2HKOed after Stealth Rocks and even has a chance to 2HKO without it.

Huh, that's strange. I was sure that I recall using Low Kick on a wall weak to it and it doing not much damage. But the damage calcs say otherwise. I think we've all learned a valuable lesson: don't trust my memory.

Omastar is freaking prehistoric, man. They didn't have restauraunts back then. It had to scavenge for its food. Do you have any idea how hard it is to hunt anything with that giant ass shell? Bitches went extinct for a reason. Hunger, apparently.

I bothered to get my paras in for Damp Rock, Moltres, and Raikou, intentionally abstaining on GonZ since once I stopped playing with the new suspects I didn't really use it and potentially also abstaining on Cresselia since I really need to do some coursework. I need to work on my concision... 7001 words for 3 suspects is pretty unnecessary. Went UU on all... I'd like to see how the game develops around just Cress leaving, though I think at best it, gonz, and the rock go.

I am wondering if it's possible for the paragraphs deadline to be extended by just one more day due to the extenuating circumstances? The reason I ask this is because I was hoping to write my essay over the last couple of days with reference to the statistics and some other points raised in this and other threads. However, with the forums being down for a whole day, let's just say that my concentration and 'writing flow' has been somewhat compromised, making it very difficult to write coherently.

I am only planning to vote on one suspect (Cresselia) this round, but it is a rather complex case that requires a very detailed argument from me, and I doubt that I will be able to produce an argument of the quality I would be satisfied with by tonight. I am sure it is even worse for some people who are writing on more than one suspect.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately, the difficult part of extending the deadline would be that we would run smack into the UU Tour, which is the whole source of the time pressure we're facing at the moment.

I am wondering if it's possible for the paragraphs deadline to be extended by just one more day due to the extenuating circumstances? The reason I ask this is because I was hoping to write my essay over the last couple of days with reference to the statistics and some other points raised in this and other threads. However, with the forums being down for a whole day, let's just say that my concentration and 'writing flow' has been somewhat compromised, making it very difficult to write coherently.

I am only planning to vote on one suspect (Cresselia) this round, but it is a rather complex case that requires a very detailed argument from me, and I doubt that I will be able to produce an argument of the quality I would be satisfied with by tonight. I am sure it is even worse for some people who are writing on more than one suspect.
I'm unfortunately under the same circumstances. I'm only planning to vote on Moltres, and I was planning to refer to statistics and other threads as well as the Smogon calculator, but since I couldn't do it yesterday, I will have to stay up pretty late to get it to a level that I'm satisfied with. Luckily, I got a chunk of it done earlier.

Unfortunately, the difficult part of extending the deadline would be that we would run smack into the UU Tour, which is the whole source of the time pressure we're facing at the moment.
So no possibility of an extension then?

In that case, I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out, as there is no chance that I will have enough free time to get my essay done tonight. No biggie I suppose, I just have to hope that the other voters come to the decision I'm looking for without me. I mean it should be a fairly obvious result, but you just never know, particularly with the way recent votes have gone.

I'm not sure if I could bear another six weeks of a Cresselia metagame, though.

Heh, I was going to get those paragraphs done last night, but the whole broken link thing messed me up a little...and my tourney match =/. Oh well, I will try to get it done tonight because I actually want to vote this time.

So no possibility of an extension then?

In that case, I'm afraid I'll have to sit this one out, as there is no chance that I will have enough free time to get my essay done tonight. No biggie I suppose, I just have to hope that the other voters come to the decision I'm looking for without me.
Are you serious?

After all of this, people are still saying "well I'll just wait until the last minute to start and then hope for an extension". Then "Oh well the voting results are obvious....so it should be fine".

This is what I like to call diffusion of responsibility which has been plaguing this UU subforum for the last 3-4 months...

Write your paragraphs. It's really not hard to repeat what you/other people have been saying in this thread for 6 weeks. It took me about an hour and a half for all of them since I knew what I was going to say and my Cresselia paragraph is a solid 1.8k words. I believe in you! (not really (read: Froslass), I'm just trying to get you all to vote)

I still need to get Cress done after class tonight myself, but it'll be the easiest of the five suspects to write about, for sure.

I've written about 20,000 words for class in the past four days on top of 12 hours of actually being in class, and I have another 7k invested in suspect voting that I managed to find time to do around it. I have very little pity for those of you whining with the time excuse.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't see how the server going down prevented people from writing about the suspects they actually used. You had plenty of time to gather calcs and your main argument should be composed based on your own experience, which can be done with or without the main site.

If you couldn't even spare a couple of hours to start writing a few paragraphs, I don't see how you were expecting to vote anyway.

Are you serious?

After all of this, people are still saying "well I'll just wait until the last minute to start and then hope for an extension". Then "Oh well the voting results are obvious....so it should be fine".

This is what I like to call diffusion of responsibility which has been plaguing this UU subforum for the last 3-4 months...

Write your paragraphs. It's really not hard to repeat what you/other people have been saying in this thread for 6 weeks. It took me about an hour and a half for all of them since I knew what I was going to say and my Cresselia paragraph is a solid 1.8k words. I believe in you! (not really (read: Froslass), I'm just trying to get you all to vote)
Like I said, I would, it is just that tonight in particular is impossible for me, only having 5-10 minutes here and there on the computer. I do understand what you're saying, and of course I blame nobody but myself for being caught off-guard, I just think it is slightly unfair to yell at everyone unable to meet the deadline when the time restrictions are as tight as they have ever been, by a wide margin.

And I was of the opinion that Cresselia was the most complex suspect there is to write about convincingly. After all, her particular circumstances as a suspect are literally unprecedented in UU or any testing.

Like I said, I would, it is just that tonight in particular is impossible for me, only having 5-10 minutes here and there on the computer. I do understand what you're saying, and of course I blame nobody but myself for being caught off-guard, I just think it is slightly unfair to yell at everyone unable to meet the deadline when the time restrictions are as tight as they have ever been, by a wide margin.

And I was of the opinion that Cresselia was the most complex suspect there is to write about convincingly. After all, her particular circumstances as a suspect are literally unprecedented in UU or any testing.
After how many times of this happening does it become completely fair? It's happened 2-3 times for Froslass, what makes you think it can't happen for Cresselia or the other Pokemon that you want UU / BL?

As Synre said, it really isn't hard to find time to vote if you care / want a check mark.

And really, Cresselia is as black and white as it gets. Does it sweep too easily or not? As much as I think it would be hypocritical to ban Cresselia and not Raikou for the exact same reasons (and more), I'm sure you could get away with that.

All Lemmiwinks was saying was that he needed an extension for whatever reason, and he tried to justify it. We honestly shouldn't be so hard on an individual in this case. Individuals can end up with many valid excuses; it's the collective that's the problem.

Are you serious?

Well, there have been a ton of nominations on Cresselia, so we should be safe there. But Froslass has only gotten nominated a few times, so some people are worried. But I didn't write an essay for Froslass because honestly, I don't really care what tier she ends up in.

And does anyone know how long it takes after sending in your essays to get an approval/disapproval message back?

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm not planning on writing any paragraphs this time around. One, because the whole process is annoyingly redundant and bureaucratic, and two, because I have to write a couple of demand forecasting reports and have two more tests this week. If anyone would like to bitch at me because of that, feel free. And if Cresselia stays UU, I honestly don't give a fuck anymore. Froslass is already staying and Damp Rock looks like it's going to be staying as well, so it's not like the tier is super enjoyable to begin with. I'll just wait for the NU ladder to be installed on Smogon (you know, where people will actually play on it) or just stick to Ubers and troll the UU ladder with random teams occassionally.

I don't know why we do it this stupid way. We should just have a suspect nomination round and then have a BL discussion amongst the eligible voters until the large majority casts a vote. Paragraphs are dumb. You honestly want me to word out why I don't want to have this pokemon in this tier? A lot of us feel the same way without need to express bullshit in paragraphs.

But I didn't write an essay for Froslass because honestly, I don't really care what tier she ends up in.
An especially good idea because she's not a suspect.

I'm also waffling a bit on writing an essay on Cress. Hoping other people vote how you want is a Bad Thing, but how many people at this point are voting UU?

I don't really get this complaint that the nominations and paragraphs are redundant. Nominations are for putting a Pokémon up as one that could be broken. Paragraphs are for claiming that a Pokémon is (or is not) broken. The nominations are the warrant and arrest, and the paragraphs are the trial.

I don't really get this complaint about the system, either. It's certainly not perfect. However, it seems that people like to complain only when what they wanted to happen didn't. Oh, no! Democracy is failing me! Whatever shall I do? Jabba and reach are just going by what they see. That's all that they can go on. So if you're going to blame anyone, blame the participants.

I wouldn't mind what Vrolok is proposing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)