GG Godly Gift

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
in a Brittany_Broski voice,
HEY YALL!!!!!! THE BIG FAT UGLY WHALE IS BANNED!!!
:wailord: me?
NO NOT YOU!!!!
:wailmer: m-me?
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
:guzzlord: *u5h43h3478&U8
YOU ARE NOT A WHALE!!!!
:kyogre: me?
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSS!!!
:ss/kyogre:
KYOGRE IS BANNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kyogre has been a very consistent threat for almost the entire duration of SS and has made a resurgence after Eternatus's ban. Most recently, Block sets have become popular, which let Kyogre PP stall and defeat Pokemon that would typically handle it one-on-one, like Gastrodon and Tangrowth.

TL;DR whale gone​

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
was just complaining about ogre in the om room when i heard abt the ban, HUGE!!

the biggest winner imo:

Ho-oh was already an incredibly good god, but it tended to really dislike Kyogre teams. With the whale gone, bird stocks are to the MOON

Glimmer

We own the night
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
finally the thing is gone ,i hated it. anyways some tmonning for how i expect mons will trend up and down

:ss/lunala:
Lunala (TREND UP)

Lunala was always on the edge of being A tier for me, and a powerful special attacking god choice being gone is in my opinion enough to justify it trending up, not to mention some sets of lunala being underdiscovered so it definitely has a tier potential, but we'll see.

:ss/necrozma-dusk-mane:
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane (TREND UP)

The other gen 7 box art is also gonna be better in my opinion, less god competition again makes this borderline S tier for me even better, it is so versatile and steel psychic with prism armor covers so much of the meta , it can also be used as a trick room god or a dragon dance sweeper.

:ss/ho-oh:
Ho-Oh (TREND UP)

Ho-Oh's builds' main problem used to be Kyogre, now that that is out of the page Ho-Oh is going to be way better just because of its flexibility for sets and great stats to give like Attack and Special Defense.

:ss/gastrodon:
Gastrodon (TREND DOWN)

This was going to be a mostly god based post but i think i should at least talk about it ,Gastrodon's main thing was being a Kyogre check with reliable recovery. Kyogre is out of the question and Gastrodon can't check everything it wants to check in one slot. Specially defensive sets get U-turned by Tapu Koko and can't take Victini V-Create reliably. Physically defensive sets aren't that good at checking the special fire types like Heatran Volcarona and Blacephalon, as Heatran can wear it down with Magma Storm+Toxic/Taunt and Blacephalon and Volcarona can deal big damage with their coverage or secondary STAB, and Tapu Koko deals a lot of damage to it with Dazzling Gleam.

Altho I don't wanna call the tier shifts too quickly, I can see something along the lines of
:lunala: B->A
:necrozma-dusk-mane: A->S
:ho-oh: higher A i guess
:gastrodon: A->B+
anyways good riddance, will love to see how the meta plays out without Kyogre.

Last edited:
Hello, I have an announcement from the council. Since Godly Gift wasn't the main OM throughout its gen 8 lifetime, it isn't eligible for an official Titan vote. However, we believe that it's still fun and constructive to see players' opinions on this, and as such we launched an unofficial poll for top 10 Titans, which you can take here:
http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/onanbi/gg-titans-of-gen-8
Do note that because of how the website works, you have to sort all options in order of their impact, and since there are 21 options, it can be a bit time-consuming, but we'd appreciate all votes and feedbacks, whether you like this method or if you prefer something else! Thank you for your contribution to the cause.

Edit: Since the usual process takes 10 days (a day for each place) once all sufficient Pokemon have been nominated, we decided this poll will be open for 10 days.

Last edited:
I nominate Durant for a (albeit low) rank in atk. I think c is good. Calc. 252 attack jolly (170) choice band hustle durant iron head v 252 (150) hp 252 bold defense shuckle. 278-330 (53-63%). Defensive 252 hp 136 impish necrozma dusk mane takes 268-367 ( 67-79%) from banded first impression. Durant can 2hko it with superpower over 2 turns. (397-469 (99.7-117.8%)) finally defensive groudon takes 231-273 (57.1-67.5% from banded first impression with 252 hp and 240 defense with an impish nature. Same groudon takes 205-243 (50.7-60.1%) from iron head/x-scissor which is an 86.7 chance to 2hko after leftovers. Maybe it’s d rank and totally outclassed by dracozolt/flapple but I thought I’d mention it.

Is this hard to read?

All calcs are banded durant in the atk slot of a kyurem-black team.

Hello, the official unofficial GG Titans vote has finally concluded. We received 11 responses, and here's the link to the result: http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/pmyqco/gg-titans-of-gen-8/view
And with that, our top 10 list includes:
1. Eternatus
2. Kyogre
3. Xerneas
4. Landorus-T
5. Zacian
6. Crawdaunt
7. Nidoking/Nidoqueen
8. Alolan Marowak
9. Tapu Koko
10. Clefable
Thank you all for voting! Lemme know what you think about this result, as well as other resources like VR. We hope to see more discussion and development with World Cup going on, especially regarding the meta post Kyogre ban.

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Godly Gift VR Nominations - The Gods

:rayquaza: Rayquaza to B
Rayquaza is an insane wallbreaker but a lack of recovery or defensive donations makes it hard to use outside of Hyper Offense where it's definitely had a slow decline with players favouring Mewtwo instead. This is because, frankly, there are a dozen Pokemon that become borderline broken when given a Speed boost with Pangoro, Dhelmise and Slowking-Galar being three examples that have become particularly notable in recent weeks. On the other hand, Zeraora is the only particularly good follower above base 130 Speed, leaving Rayquaza to fairly niche HO subgenres like Venusaur Sun and Arctozolt Hail which are both more prediction reliant and also require better positioning than the mindless clicking Mewtwo (and Pheromosa) promote. Rayquaza can work on offense leaning balance teams, but I personally feel that this role is performed much better by Yveltal. It's about as strong offensively, has much more defensive utility and longevity through Oblivion Wing/Roost, and base 99 Speed means it and its Speed recipient can offensively pressure every other balance-centric God far harder than Rayquaza can which I find to be a huge boon to it.

:ho-oh: Ho-Oh to B
The resident Ho-Oh hater is trying to lower its VR placement again. Kyogre and Nidoking are gone so SpDef mons like Tangrowth and Gastrodon can manage just fine with the 100ish SpDef that Lunala, Dialga etc. offer while base 154 SpDef is honestly complete overkill. I've actually changed my tune on Ho-Oh itself a ton after discovering this set:
Ho-Oh @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 80 HP / 156 Atk / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
It's absurdly hard to switch into and offers some great compression, but as a donor I still think Ho-Oh is a perfect example of "jack of all trades, master of none"; it certainly lacks the 'oomph' of mons like Lunala and Yveltal as it really suffers from having a below average Speed stat, to say nothing of its middling HP and SpAtk stats that make building with it a real chore.

:zekrom: Zekrom to D/UR
Zekrom's reputation as a nigh unstoppable wallbreaker completely falls apart in Godly Gift; reliable answers to this mon exist on nearly every balance team as a result of Zeraora and Tapu Koko's dominance, with Zekrom having a very hard time breaking past defensively amplified Electric-resists like Tangrowth, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn etc. regardless of if it's going mixed or fully committing to Dragon Dance. It offers great stats, but not better stats than Dialga or Kyurem-Black and I find both of those far harder to switch into. As an attack donor, Groudon has built in chemistry with followers like Victini and Rillaboom and has way more defensive utility with its mono Ground-typing while again offering a very similar stat distribution. Even in the D rank, Pokemon like Magearna and Stakataka, while very limited, have a clear cut niche whereas I've yet to find any offensive core that can justify Zekrom over its aforementioned stat monster rivals.

:diancie: Diancie to D (HP Only)
It's Shuckle, but instead of playing 5v6 you're using a reasonably bulky Yveltal (& Ho-Oh) answer that can click Stealth Rock more than once and sometimes force a trade with Calm Mind. I think everyone on the Council saw this game but here's me vs TPP in OMWC where I showcased how much base 150 defense can offer to a bulky wincon like Slowking-Galar, even if your opponent is playing far better than you.

The Quickfire Round

:mewtwo: +(Atk)
:ho-oh: +(SpAtk)
:zamazenta-crowned: +(HP)
:yveltal: +(Atk, SpAtk)
:giratina: +(SpAtk)
:lunala: +(Atk)
:giratina-origin: +(Atk, SpAtk)
:necrozma-dawn-wings: +(HP) -(Def)
:zamazenta: +(HP)

Godly Gift VR Nominations - The Followers, and a proposal

There is a clear gap in viability between different 'sets' - Atk Victini is far more viable than Spe Victini, for example, and conversely Alolan Persian is far stronger in the Def slot than it is running Beat Up in the Atk slot. The current viability ranking includes all of these sets, but does not distinguish between them, which I think makes it misleading as a resource for newer players especially with the absence of something like OU's Sets Viability Ranking. I have two possible solutions:

Proposal A: Almost Any Ability
The Viability Ranking resource for Almost Any Ability has two formatting variants; emboldened and plain. Emboldened text is used for a Pokemon's most common abilities, marking them as particularly notable, while plain text is used for niche abilities that still have a place on certain teams. I think this would be something that the Godly Gift Viability Ranking would benefit from adopting. The first few ranks would look like this (in my own, biased opinion):
S Rank:

:landorus-therian: Landorus-T (SpD, Any)
:clefable: Clefable (Def, Spe)

A Rank:

A+

:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn (HP, Any)
:moltres-galar: Moltres-G (SpA)
:rotom-wash: Rotom-W (HP)
:tangrowth: Tangrowth (SpD)
:tapu koko: Tapu Koko (SpA, HP, Any)
:tornadus-therian: Tornadus-T (Def, HP, SpA, Any)

Proposal B: Monotype
The Viability Ranking resource for Monotype, on the other hand, boasts eighteen different rankings, with each type getting its own fun-size sector. Godly Gift could make do with just seven; HP, Atk, Def, SpA, SpD, Spe, and Any. I'm not an entire Council so I won't run through the whole thing but here's a sample of what it might look like
S Rank
Nothing!

A Rank
:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn
:rotom-wash: Rotom-Wash
:skarmory: Skarmory
:tapu koko: Tapu Koko

B Rank
:aegislash: Aegislash
:rotom-heat: Rotom-H
:shuckle: Shuckle
:tapu fini: Tapu Fini

C Rank
:diancie: Diancie
:ditto: Ditto
:magnezone: Magnezone

D Rank
:comfey: Comfey
:hatterene: Hatterene
:klefki: Klefki
:scizor: Scizor
S Rank
:heatran: Heatran
:pangoro: Pangoro

A Rank
:dhelmise: Dhelmise
:slowking-galar: Slowking-Galar

B Rank
:aegislash: Aegislash
:conkeldurr: Conkeldurr
:tapu lele: Tapu Lele
:volcanion: Volcanion

C Rank
:slowking: Slowking
:tyranitar: Tyranitar
:victini: Victini

D Rank
:clefable: Clefable
:druddigon: Druddigon
:sirfetchd: Sirfetch'd
:tapu bulu: Tapu Bulu

I think adopting either of these systems would be a notable improvement for the VR. The AAA approach would be easier to skim through and probably require less upkeep, while the Monotype approach would allow for the ranking of far more niche options without massively inflating the viability ranking to a point beyond usefulness; Godly Gift is unique in that it can be very easy to build with, say, SpA Pelipper, or Atk Nihilego, without it being a completely unnecessary gambit when compared to running a D rank Pokemon from literally any other tier's Viability Ranking, and the Monotype approach reflects that admirably.

I'll do some proper Follower nominations in the future, but I wanted to float this idea around first to see what people think

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
I don't know why I'm getting pings here lol but while stopping by I think the VR system for AAA is way more applicable for this metagame. Monotype's system works because of how the metagame is structured: if VR's are designed as a resource for building/prepping, it makes sense to separate Pokemon by what must be run alongside one another: having your S and A+ ranks be mons with different typings doesn't help much when you want to build something. If the team I was making sorta auto-wins versus a couple types, I could just ignore those tabs, and that lack of clutter is appreciated.

GG doesn't have this restriction so I don't see why it'd have more obtuse to view what Pokemon are must-cover threats. Pokemon outside of Gods can be readily mixed between each other and thus you have to consider them on the whole rather than as a subset of options, especially for the top threats in the metagame. The best Def slot could be leagues ahead of the best SpDef slot but they'd both be on top of their respective ranks this way, and that can give a false impression IMO which might confuse new players. Having everything follow standard VR rankings and then showing which stat it best inherits + other options looks cleaner and lets you better gauge how certain mons stack up to one another, as it's less ambiguous. Gives a better idea of "these things are good and here's some additional reasons why" versus "these are the good things for this particular stat."

Perhaps going a step further and adding color codes would be a best of both: has the better flow of AAAs while making it easier to find something for a particular stat. I'm thinking something like this:

S Rank:

:landorus-therian: Landorus-T (SpD, Any)
:clefable: Clefable (Def, Spe)

A Rank:

A+

:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn (HP, Any)
:moltres-galar: Moltres-G (SpA)
:rotom-wash: Rotom-W (HP)
:tangrowth: Tangrowth (SpD)
:tapu koko: Tapu Koko (SpA, HP, Any)
:tornadus-therian: Tornadus-T (Def, HP, SpA, Any)

This system lets you see what each mon excels with quickly while also providing a simple guide for people wanting to find a particular user for a given stat, particularly for mobile users who can't ctrl-F. There's likely a better combination of colors you can use and I think underlining/italicizing might work better versus bolding since it's easier on the eyes to recognize individual colors.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
I'm gonna step in right now and say that I personally think the amount of clicking that goes into the Monotype VR is obnoxious and would not like to subject OMs to that as well. Additionally, it completely removes the ability to open the thread and just do CTRL + F for a Pokemon. I'm perfectly fine with the bolding better options, but I dont think color coding would really make much more of an improvement and might even make the VR too confusing to look at. GG council will be discussing this and will provide an update with the next VR slate.

Additionally, come next gen, we will have a more-drawn out resources system that will (hopefully) include a set VR to help further mitigate this issue.

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
As far as VR structure goes, I think the monotype, while being potentially obnoxious clicking wise, as one huge bonus over the AAA: it let you know more than “it’s not its best stat to receive”.
What I mean is, taking the victini exemple:
ok victini is better in the Atk slot but if the core I built around is already including an atk receiver, idc about that, what I wanna is how good/bad victini is as a special receiver, which the aaa system totally forgo.
And, as for the whole “you’re not forced into a structure unlike monotype”, I’d like to think that, yes you are, you most definitely are forced to pick one mon from each of those categories (outside of your god slot ofc) (that doesn’t mean you are forced to pick from the vr ofc).

Finally for the “inner VR changes” themselves suggested, I’m kinda agreeing with the changes.

PS: as a colorblind person, color coding is a no go on smogon, it always end horribly impossible to understand

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the monotype VR structure would be significantly worse as the main VR structure; in monotype it's fine since it is obvious that you can only use Pokemon from that specific type, for receivers it heavily implies viability and stat donation are mutually exclusive which is not the case and also ignores all of the various reasons Pokemon are good in a specific stat i.e being good with a specific god or just being a good general receiver (yes the current vr does this to an extent but i think if replaced by the mono structure it would exacerbate that). However, I do think it would be beneficial to add as a supplementary resource more similar to a set VR once the tier expands their resources more since there is inherit value in knowing what Pokemon are good for a specific stat.

Just so this isn't a short post I also agree with Greybaum's noms, would maybe consider an A- rank for gods just so B rank doesnt get too oversaturated and loses definition with probably Pheromosa in A- because HO go brrrrr. I think Zekrom can stay C personally but wouldn't be wholly opposed to D, it passes good stats and while electric prep is pretty heavy due to Koko I think it can find a niche still in the meta.

Also so greybaum is not sad UR lugia pls theres basically no reason to ever run this mon over Lunala, Giratina, Ho-Oh Shuckle, or even Diancie the stats it passes are insanely awkward and Lugia is a huge liability for teams since it is insanely passive in a metagame dominated by Clefable and a bunch of other things that stop it from making any progress whatsoever.

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I HATE THIS BIRD!!!!
it's not a bird.. also if you saw me hit post too early no you didn't. this is why we do these in notepad.

Was talking about this on the simulator just now, and after that conversation I'd like to nominate Lugia for DNU. I don't think i have to justify this choice very much, but I will, in case anyone is unconvinced.

Looking at Lugia on paper, you wouldn't be wrong in assuming it could fill roles on a team. The problem? There is never a reason to use Lugia over another god. At least with the other Pokemon in D rank, there are unique niches they can fill that could both be worthwhile and different enough from another God to justify their use occasionally. Stakataka can be used on trick room, Kyurem donates balanced stats and has freeze dry, Magearna and Zygarde.. can be used? Lugia, however, has nothing both worthwile and unique to itself.

The first problem is that Lugia donates some incredibly awkward stats to work with.

These stats aren't easy to build with, and aren't easy to play with. 90 in both offenses basically forces you to use dump slots, 154 Spdef is overkill in a post-kyogre meta, and while 106 hp and 110 spe are both good, they're not good enough to justify using Lugia over any other God. Which leads me to the second, bigger problem:

Lugia does nothing that one of these two Pokemon wouldn't do better.

Lunala is far and away the biggest competition for Lugia, and directly outshines it. Lunala provides a better typing, more balanced stats, and functionally is a better Lugia. It has all of the upsides of Lugia plus a better defensive and offensive typing, better coverage, better bulk due to a multiscale that's easier to keep intact, and more team versatility. Oh? What's that? You want a fast psychic type to donate 106 HP, that can set up screens, stop hazards from going up, AND one that's stronger, faster, and more versatile? Well have I got just the Mewtwo for you! Any niche you can justify for Lugia, you can justify better and easier with these two, or another God.

TL;DR: Lugia is harder to play with and harder to justify a team slot for than any other Pokemon in the D rank, and as such, should drop to DNU

relevant edit #1: changed "better bulk due to multiscale" to "better bulk due to a multiscale that's easier to keep intact"

Last edited:
Hello, now that World Cup is over, we would like to announce we are now accepting new sample submissions! All team styles are appreciated, however we do want to see a wide variety of gods. Please include a name and short description for your team as well!
To start, I'd like to submit this team I made, tweaked by Lily
:landorus-therian: :persian-alola: :kyurem-black: :tapu koko: :kartana: :volcanion:
Name: Kyurem-B Beat Up Alolan Persian
Description: This is a fairly standard Beat Up, team, featuring Pokemon with high Attack to make Alolan Persian as strong as possible to wallbreak effectively. Landorus-T does Landorus-T's things, while Scarf Kartana answers fast offensive foes. Despite being a Beat Up team, multiple special attackers, including Tapu Koko, Volcanion, and mixed Kyurem means that physical walls can't just easily sit on the whole team, with all having defensive values of their own.

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Well I figured with my GG SSNL run coming to end (made it to r7 so for my first tour that is pretty freaking cool), I would not only make my first post in this thread, but dump some of the teams I consistently used so here goes nothing...lol...

One of my most tried and true teams, I built this fresh off of the Ogre ban. I figured with no whale dampening the Sun, Groudon would be a good God to build around. Victini and Rilla are fantastic partners for Groudon as Vic can break a lot of things with 150 Atk and sun-boosted V-Creates while Rillaboom helps provide most of the team with passive recovery thanks to Grassy Surge. Clef is Clef but I went for a mixed bulk spread to allow it to take on some special attackers a bit easier. Fast Glowking is pretty normal for the meta and Rotom-Wash, while having its Water STAB weakened under the sun, was added to check things like Rayquaza, opposing Victini aiming to use the sun to their advantage, and an overall catch-all wall.

This team started out originally as a team building exercise from UT where you build with the !randpoke command however many someone gives you. I got Darm, Swampert, and Alolatales and went to work. I figured M2 was the best God for this just to provide Alolatales with power in the SpA slot and Darm with a way better Speed tier in the Spe slot. Alolatales also provides the team with Aurora Veil support if need be. Funnily enough, I found that Swampert has the same defenses and Atk stat as M2 so I threw it in the Def slot and made it a slow pivot to allow M2, Darm, and Double Dance Lando in with ease. Speaking of, I went with Double Dance Lando-T because with Pert providing SR I can sort of bluff normal Lando-T sets and be able to either outspeed or overpower the opposing team. Kart does what Kart normally does except I went with a Speed boosting one to have an easier time sweeping the opponent.

This is a more recent team of mine but I really liked the appeal of Atk slot Torn-T and NDM was a God I hadn't fully utilized so I decided to build with both of them. Rotom-Heat has had the issue for me that every time I put it on a team, it ends up being swapped out for something that ultimately fits better, so I was glad it was able to stick around. I went with WishPort Clef to help ease the team's issue of being worn down while Koko is broko doing what it does best. Swampert added SR support and a general SpD wall which allowed NDM to be offensive 3Atks and give the team more overall offensive presence.

This team was super fun to not only build, but play with as well. Def slot Glowking with NP allows it to keep the offensive pressure of being in the Spe slot while utilizing its fantastic defensive typing. Spe Ferrothorn is almost a surprise factor, which allows it to get up a fast SR or an ID before something hits it. Suicune got lots of love in SSNL (specifically remember TPP using it lol) and here it gets to utilize the moniker of "Bulky Water" but with a fantastic 131 SpA stat to back up those Scalds. I went with offensive Yve because it is so good at breaking walls and softening up the opponent for Suicune to setup and clean or for Victini to further break open the opponent.

This team is basically AVeill Offense on steroids lol. Rayquaza was the God of choice because it won't wear itself down with Hail damage due to Air Lock canceling the weather. Blaziken is surprisingly scary despite not outpacing Phero teams at +1. Fire/Fighting is a pretty decent STAB combo with Ho-oh not being that common and most things not liking a +2 CC or Flare Blitz. Urshifu is a good partner for Blaziken as they both can soften each other's checks allowing the other to just sweep. Pads + Bulk Up Urshifu is also fun to just nail things like Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Lando-T since it won't get chipped down.

Lastly, I figured I would shout out a few people that have been amazing and overall helpful in getting my footing not only with GG but OMs in general.
UT The reason I not only made a Smogon account, but have slowly integrated myself into GG and OMs as a while. I can't think of a better mentor and I also can't thank you enough for being an amazing person and friend. :)
ponchlake All the testing we did was how I was able to make it as far as I did in SSNL so I appreciate that so much. You have been the best team building buddy I could ask for and even given me sound advice not related to mons. Love ya man <3
Clastia Ducky Fellow Rev council and overall amazing people. Glad to call you both my friends and I can't wait for us to take over the world in Gen 9.
KaenSoul Re-Evolution was the first non-main OM I really put my heart and soul into and I couldn't have done that had you not came up with the idea. Just ignore the fact of my ban vote for the phish
longhiep341 All of your crazy innovations in GG had inspired me to do some crazy things myself (they almost never worked out though lol) I one day strive to come up with something innovative and fun that you hadn't tried and have you test and approve of it but until then, I will just watch in awe o_o
Tea Guzzler With you slowly learning GG I am glad to have been a part of that process as it feels like I am passing on the knowledge that I have learned from the greats. :)
Also s/o to the Pokémon Games room for being a chill place with plenty of cool people like Syrinix Hightide A Quag To The Past and past OM legend Sectonia Love you guys <3

Evie

Nobody gets me like you
is a Tiering Contributor
:ss/heatran::ss/zeraora::ss/landorus-therian::ss/tapu-koko::ss/tangrowth::ss/kyurem-black:
Name: Kyurem-B Electric Spam

Description: This team uses the core of Zeraora+Tapu Koko to wear down Ground-types, such as Landorus-T by Knocking Off its Leftovers and chipping it down with Toxic and Dazzling Gleam. Kyurem-B donates a massive 170 attack to Zeraora, allowing it to deal a lot of damage once any Ground-types are removed, especially when Electric terrain is up. Kyurem-B is also a threatening sweeper that beats the Ground and Grass-types Zeraora and Tapu Koko struggle against. Heatran provides Stealth Rock, a Victini check, and a much needed Ferrothorn check. Landorus-T adds a Ground and Flying immunity as well as entry hazard removal. Tangrowth is a Zygarde-10% check and a special wall

Glimmer

We own the night
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Ooo sample submissions how exciting! I'd like to share two of my favourite teams for samples

:ss/skarmory::ss/weavile::ss/nihilego::ss/tapu-fini::ss/gastrodon::ss/yveltal:
https://pokepast.es/7dd0cff5755a5eb3

This has been a very fun and consistent team for me, I have a rmt of this team so for more detailed explanations check it out! https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/godly-gift-singularity-dark-spam-spikes.3708982/

Basic rundown of the team: Weavile and Yveltal are great breakers, allowing a Nihilego clean up to be set up easily. Gastrodon+Skarmory defensive core blanket checks a lot of the tier, and Tapu Fini is a good fighting resist with speed control.

:ss/corviknight::ss/lunala::ss/gastrodon::ss/tapu-koko::ss/urshifu-rapid-strike::ss/rillaboom:
https://pokepast.es/fc8b2584ec662693

Lunala and Urshifu both feel under represented in the current samples, and this has been a pretty good team so yea.

Basic rundown: Urshifu with Choice Scarf is great speed control while packing quite a blow, so Tapu Koko can be used to setup sweep instead of speed control and spam pivoting moves the entire game. Corviknight provides Defog and a steel and flying type for Kartana and Rillaboom, Lunala is a Hex Will-o set to weaken foes trying to set up on it. Rillaboom is for a breaker that also beats Zygarde-10%, Gastrodon covers a lot of matchups like Victini, Zeraora and Volcanion.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I'm going to do a recap of gg ssnl, (it's one of the third parties that I manage the least so I can't say anything about the meta). I made it to round 8. I will put my best teams. S/o Les2BG for help me for the tournament.

it's a team at les2bg that I transformed which helped me a lot a big thank you.
https://pokepast.es/99932ff9b3233fe5

I wanted to recreate a kyogre, volcanion was perfect for the roll based on its very strong double stab
https://pokepast.es/ceb2e7b47089edaa

same idea as before but with a chand chand it's the perfect mon
https://pokepast.es/bf0c21cf339aece9 s/o Les2BG he help me to build this team

the finished cobaltion finished tapu is an idea that has been bothering me for a while and that I wanted to play, it's a specialized team to counter panda teams so it won't always be the best team s/o Les2BG again he helped me create and improve it

https://pokepast.es/99fc9ff513cc857d

Thanks all of fr to help me Chose Truc Free hl (UwU)

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
:Skarmory::Zeraora::Clefable::Giratina::Hippowdon::Slowking:

Skarmory with Giratina HP is nasty as hell. IDEF or Spikes works very well. This team works insanely well, with clefairy supporting Giratina as it status spreads and goes crazy. Very sound team.

Evie

Nobody gets me like you
is a Tiering Contributor
:ss/blastoise:
Blastoise to C/C+ (Spatk) could honestly be higher

Blastoise is a threatening wallbreaker after a boost from Shell Smash. +2 Water Spout is incredibly threatening and Ice Beam and Aura Sphere have great coverage with it. Blastoise thrives on screens HO as it allows Blastoise to setup Shell Smashes while taking minimal damage. HO can also capitalise on and force chip on Water Spout resists such as Rotom-Wash, Ferrothorn, and Tangrowth.

Notable Calcs(all 150 Spatk):

+2 252+ SpA Mystic Water Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash(100 HP): 338-398 (83.6 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ SpA Blastoise Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth(100 Spdef): 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn(100 HP): 374-440 (92.5 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Mystic Water Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 535-631 (134.4 - 158.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Mystic Water Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Corviknight(125 Spdef): 444-523 (111 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Mystic Water Blastoise Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Unaware Clefable: 391-462 (99.2 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8godlygift-1693911137-qh3cc0bag7nw5i9hvs8rfvvjrbgl7bdpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8godlygift-1694796912-94xytku97s94yc3tn683m5wxoffkgwvpw

i tried to make this post 3 times and smogon kept crashing

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi friends, the Viability Rankings have been updated following the meta shifts we saw post-Kyogre ban and with the ending of WC/GG seasonal! I'll post the changes below along with reasoning for some of the more notable raises/drops! Also samples should be updated soon!

Gods

:pheromosa: Pheromosa B -> A
Pheromosa is a notable HO god in this meta, with its unique speed tier and great donations in Atk/SpD setting it and its receivers apart from other HO gods such as Mewtwo (primarily because sweepers such as Pangoro w/ Mosa speed are silly...)

:marshadow: Marshadow DNU -> D
:spectrier: Spectrier DNU -> D
Both donate great speed and attacking donations along with passable defenses.

:diancie: Diancie UR -> D
Diancie sets itself apart from Shuckle as a defense-donating god due to its ability to counter Yveltal, pass base 150 Def/SpD, and base 100 attacking stats. Its also much less passive than Shuckle, meaning that you can actually have six Pokemon on your team rather than five.

Receivers

Raises
:heatran: Heatran A -> A+
Benefit from Kyogre ban
:slowking-galar: Slowking-G A- -> A
Slowking-Galar is a little silly with a speed donation, especially from Gods such as Zamazenta-C. It's no slouch in other roles either, being an effective wall in Def/SpD slots as well as with slower speed donations from gods such as Yveltal.
:urshifu-rapid-strike: Urshifu-R A- -> A
:weavile: Weavile A- -> A
Both of these Pokemon are just more effective attackers in this meta.
:buzzwole: Buzzwole B+ -> A-
Benefit from Kyogre ban
:magnezone: Magnezone B -> B+
Uptick of Skarm, NDM and Ferro usage
:pangoro: Pangoro B -> A
One of the highest raises this shift, Pangoro has cemented itself as one of the most threatening sweepers in the metagame, with its Fight/Dark/Poison coverage beating nearly everything not named Skarmory, along with Mold Breaker effectively bypassing Unaware walls. With Pheromosa Speed in particular, it outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame bar Regieleki and can easily clean entire teams after a boost.
:tyranitar: Tyranitar B -> B+
It checks Lunala/Yveltal and an assortment of other attackers. Also stall is better now.
:espeon: Espeon B- -> B
Extremely dangerous mon on HO that can straight up 6-0 many teams
:mimikyu: Mimikyu B- -> B
Ghost of choice for many offense to spinblock and can usually take a hit which offense may need
:Reuniclus: Reuniclus B- -> B
:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz C+ -> B-
:Regieleki: Regieleki C+ -> B-
While it's easy to say "Regieleki is crazy into any team without a Ground-type", it's extremely true. It's crazy speed tier combined with high SpA donations from Mewtwo, Rayquaza, etc. make it an insane pivot, and it isn't THAT hard to wear down Landorus-T considering how much it wants to switch into. Now, Regieleki into Gastrodon? That's a bit of an L...
:Celesteela: Celesteela C -> C+
Autotomize sets are good
:cloyster: Cloyster C -> B-
Shell Smash sets, both physical and special, are good. Spikes + Rapid Spin also makes it an effective lead. All-around good HO mon
:diancie: Diancie C -> C+
Checks Yveltal, but can easily be worn down.
:ninetales-alola: Ninetales-A C -> C+
:torkoal: Torkoal C -> C+
:venusaur: Venusaur C -> C+
Sun is good, but inconsistent
:cobalion: Cobalion C- -> C+
:kommo-o: Kommo-o C- -> C
:tapu bulu: Tapu Bulu UR -> C-
:blaziken: Blaziken UR -> C+
Speed Boost is good
:crobat: Crobat UR -> C
Fast + setup moves + good STABs and coverage
:conkeldurr: Conkeldurr UR -> C+
Pangoro but a bit worse w/ more immediate power
:togekiss: Togekiss UR -> C
Fast + NP + good coverage + Serene Grace
:persian: Persian UR -> C-
I have been told this Pokemon is good due to Fake Out + Feint + ok coverage
:mienshao: Mienshao UR -> C
RegenVest sets are a mixed bag but it is still a bulky Regenerator pivot which counts for something
:zapdos-galar: Zapdos-Galar UR -> C
:sharpedo: Sharpedo UR -> C
:scolipede: Scolipede UR -> B-
Speed Boost is good pt. 2/3
:weezing-galar: Weezing-Galar UR -> C-
:suicune: Suicune UR -> B-
Suicune doesn't need a big SpA donation to be effective, and its SubCM sets prey on a lot of defensive cores in GG being passive

Drops
:tornadus-therian: Tornadus-T A+ -> A
:gastrodon: Gastrodon A -> A-
Kyogre banned
:zeraora: Zeraora A -> A-
Honestly Zeraora is kinda overrated. It doesn't make effective progress versus like half of the A-tier defensive Pokemon, and while it is VERY fast which is great, it's kinda weak. And it's coverage is mid.
:garchomp: Garchomp B+ -> B
:rotom-heat: Rotom-H B+ -> B
:zapdos: Zapdos B+ -> B
:ditto: Ditto B -> B-
:dracozolt: Dracozolt B -> B-
Sand is mid + loses to Landorus-T and Tangrowth and Gastrodon in Def. It gets some great matchups sometimes though
:seismitoad: Seismitoad B -> B-
Kyogre ban
:slowbro-galar: Slowbro-G B -> B-
Not a great attacker and its defensive profile is limited
:amoonguss: Amoonguss B- -> C+
:marowak: Marowak C+ -> C

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)