SPOILERS! All Returning DLC Pokemon in SV DLC Expansion Pass <Unconfirmed>

I know there's been a lot of debate about whether we're getting all the old legendaries back, but the more I look at things and think about it, I'm honestly inclined to believe that this time we aren't going to get every single legendary usable in SV.

I know the Shaymin isn't in the scrubbed Dex entries list and is known to eventually become usable, but back with the Crown Tundra all of the old legendaries were in the scrubbed dex entry list and the fact that all the old legendaries were returning, chief among them the major box legendaries of the Mewtwo archetype, was very heavily advertised in official trailers throughout the pre-release period.

This time most legendaries aren't in the scrubbed dex entry list, but more importantly, there has been no advertisement officially of old legendaries coming back thus far. What has been advertised, however, is the fact that Indigo Disk will have every single starter Pokemon (or as they like to officially call them, "first partner Pokemon"). The datamined list of scrubbed Dex entries of returning Pokemon has indicated that each and every single starter Pokemon from the previous generations, from Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, to Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble, is returning in the Indigo Disk, and one of the recent trailers has really highlighted the fact that all the starters are back.

Which is to say, I think the fact that we have every starter in Indigo Disk is what will be SV DLC's selling point, and what they want to highlight this time around as opposed to SwSh DLC bringing back all the legendaries.

In that sense SwSh and SV go for opposite directions, and together complement each other as to which special groups of Pokemon they have in their Part 2 DLCs.

SwSh had all the legendaries, but not all the starters (only three old-gen starter trios made it)
SV will have all the starters, but not all the legendaries (some are HOME transferrable and may be obtainable somehow, and some may be added, like Shaymin, but ultimately it will still only amount to some but not all).

This is what I think is going to be the situation.
I disagree with you for two reasons:

1. GS Cup. GS Cup has been a staple of the VGC circuit since 2016 and has been in Gens 4, 6, 7, & 8. The fact that the only in person World Championship for Gen 8 was GS Cup speaks volumes as to how much TPCI values the format. I highly doubt TPCI would allow Game Freak to buck that trend unless they absolutely needed to.

2. Marketing. Dynamax Adventures was revealed in a trailer that was entirely dedicated to The Crown Tundra. This was done to ensure the most amount of hype for it. It is entirely likely that Game Freak is waiting until after The Teal Mask releases to advertise the legendaries returning in The Indigo Disk. Right now they don't want to overshadow The Teal Mask with a huge announcement such as all returning legendaries. Especially if they potentially play a plot significant reason.

I disagree with you for two reasons:

1. GS Cup. GS Cup has been a staple of the VGC circuit since 2016 and has been in Gens 4, 6, 7, & 8. The fact that the only in person World Championship for Gen 8 was GS Cup speaks volumes as to how much TPCI values the format. I highly doubt TPCI would allow Game Freak to buck that trend unless they absolutely needed to.
TPC (and especially not TPCi) doesn't tell GameFreak what to do, GameFreak makes the decisions about they games and if they opt not to include all of the legendaries then GC cup will simply not have all the legendaries. Don't forget we already have a bunch available through HOME, and GameFreak has already, however unwisely, decided that it's ok to have VGC formats where mons are only obtainable by transfer.

2. Marketing. Dynamax Adventures was revealed in a trailer that was entirely dedicated to The Crown Tundra. This was done to ensure the most amount of hype for it. It is entirely likely that Game Freak is waiting until after The Teal Mask releases to advertise the legendaries returning in The Indigo Disk. Right now they don't want to overshadow The Teal Mask with a huge announcement such as all returning legendaries. Especially if they potentially play a plot significant reason.
This is incorrect. While the DLC reveal trailer doesn't mention it, the Presents segment does explicitly advertise the Legendaries as returning in Dynamax adventures. Sure, they could still be holding their cards close to their chest this time, and I would still think most box legendaries have a good chance of returning, but I'm not sure I'd bet on it.

They made all the previous legends available in ORAS, USUM, and CT, so I’d be shocked if they weren’t available in DLC 2. Iirc the legends weren’t scrubbed for CT either because they weren’t in the regional dex.

I'll bring up again that we have 212 pokemon accounted for
If we add the Beasts, Musketeers (but no Keldeo), and the remaining box Legends it brings us to 231

Technically that's another 8 of wiggle room before we're just "above 240" so we could grab more legends (or mythics -Keldeo!), but I do think it's more possible than not that this might be the first time we just don't have all the Legendary pokemon back in one of these types of things.

The added legends were known about back then.

Yesnt though. Just because they have made mistakes with leftover data in the past doesn't mean they will again this time. Well, not completely anyway.

More "temporary data" can still pop before DLC2 comes.

I really struggle for them to not have the legendary mass to show up in DLC2. Remember they said we're going back to Area Zero, probably to investigate the origins of the Time Machine and what not, looks like the perfect excuse for Dynamax Adventures 2 electric boogaloo to me.

My only wonder is if they are going to bring every Pokemon back for VGC this Gen in SwSh. Gen 8 gave me a sense of cold feet with how many or few Pokemon were allowed in Galar overall and the fact they couldn't resist the "every legendary" dump, so I wonder if they might have to go a Gen like this since by their own Dexit metric, retaining 90% of the Dex for each mainline set is not going to be sustainable evidently.

I also wonder if the Pokemon being transferrable has to translate to the Pokemon actually appearing in game. This season has shown they're not THAT stringent about Transfer-only Pokemon for a VGC year, and Tera Raids can and have served as a means to distribute non-native Pokemon while driving engagement (a fight for semi-casual players, rare catch chance with Ball options for collectors, and access to Pokemon for potential Competitive builders). Duos as Version exclusives with Trio Master after, Trios as one-offs, etc. they could stretch the entire length of Gen 9 for Legendary features as monthly content to check in or finally pick up the game for people.

I also wonder if the Pokemon being transferrable has to translate to the Pokemon actually appearing in game. This season has shown they're not THAT stringent about Transfer-only Pokemon for a VGC year
I'm not sure if they will be repeating the Regulation D thing in future.
The backlash has been pretty severe. Considering they're trying their best to push Pokemon to e-sports status (to the point afaik it's basically become a meme amongst actual VGC players), the last thing they want is repeat an alienating mistake like this one.
Having your biggest players complain that you basically need to cheat to partecipate & that the game is Pay To Win isn't exactly the best advertising for a "nascent e-sport".

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Only thing we're missing now is where Shaymin lands.
I also wonder if the Sinnoh Starters might be "bonus" Pokemon for DLC 1. That is you can bring them in from home starting then, but can't capture until DLC 2

mostly on the back of the "hey you can bring pokemon from Home too" had Shaymin, and the Sinnoh starters, in Kitakami.
Ooh I really hope so. (mainly cos Infernape is the only mon missing from my ideal playthru team)

toxic is returning as a tm!
edit, so are grassy glide, burning jealousy, lash out, and poltergeist
I'm one of those people who actually liked everything getting Toxic, Knock Off, and Scald, though I get the feeling from the past 2 gens that Toxic will be more limited than it was in Gen7. I'm hopeful that they'll at least get "poisonous non-Poison-Types" like Umbreon, Whiscash, Dunsparce, Tangrowth etc. It might be too much to hope, but I also think Toxic should be given to more Bug, Grass, and Dark-types generally. Also Alomomola and Chansey gf plz

I'm one of those people who actually liked everything getting Toxic, Knock Off, and Scald, though I get the feeling from the past 2 gens that Toxic will be more limited than it was in Gen7. I'm hopeful that they'll at least get "poisonous non-Poison-Types" like Umbreon, Whiscash, Dunsparce, Tangrowth etc. It might be too much to hope, but I also think Toxic should be given to more Bug, Grass, and Dark-types generally. Also Alomomola and Chansey gf plz
Gen 7 was one of the past 2 gens though? And everything got Toxic there (except Magearna).

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm still sad that Star Brite, my ribbon master Starmie from original Emerald, is shut out in Scarlet and Violet. It will be an even bigger bummer if Atrapos, my Leaf Green Suicune is similarly shut out, so I'm really crossing my fingers on the Indigo Disk. Atrapos has almost all the available ribbons, but is permanently one short, since I only have one DS with the GBA port, and so couldn't trade it over to Emerald to get the portrait studio one.

But I guess generations give and generations take away. Atrapos was originally near useless because of the glitched terrible IVs on Leaf Green and Fire Red wandering legendary beasts, but the introduction of bottle caps to upgrade your effective IVs, something I never expected to be added, let her achieve her potential and win battle facility glory. I guess it's only fair that a similar unexpected generational change may leave me on the bad side of the luck coin this time.

So does it mean most of Kieran and Carmine Teams will be changed?
Possibly though not necessarily. Just because their Pokemon aren't in the Blueberry dex doesn't necessarily mean they're going to overhaul everything. It just means those Pokemon won't be in the Blueberry Dex because you can't get them.

Well, Carmine at least. Her team was mostly the same where as Kieren changed his a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)