Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

If a pokemon that has white herb and defiant gets a stat lowered, will the defiant proc still happen or will the white herb reset overide it? Asking because I'm thinking of using a white herb ogerpon set with superpower that can also help against sticky web teams.
White Herb will only erase negative stat changes, rather than "Hazing" the user on a negative proc, so Defiant will increase Attack and then White Herb does a check to cleanse (to the point that if it's something like Intimidate, they go to +1 and don't eat the Herb rather than drop, Reset to 0 with Herb, and then go to +2 off the proc)

White Herb will only erase negative stat changes, rather than "Hazing" the user on a negative proc, so Defiant will increase Attack and then White Herb does a check to cleanse (to the point that if it's something like Intimidate, they go to +1 and don't eat the Herb rather than drop, Reset to 0 with Herb, and then go to +2 off the proc)
Sorry, I meant more in the scenario of my ogerpon comes in on sticky webs, will the defiant proc happen and then white herb erases the speed drop, or will the white herb immediately erase the speed drop and then causing defiant to not proc at all.

Sorry, I meant more in the scenario of my ogerpon comes in on sticky webs, will the defiant proc happen and then white herb erases the speed drop, or will the white herb immediately erase the speed drop and then causing defiant to not proc at all.
Oh, sorry for missing the specific scenario. In that case, per Bulbapedia, you will end up at +2 and with no Speed drop.

Bulbapedia said:
If the Pokémon with Defiant or Competitive is holding a White Herb, Defiant or Competitive will trigger before the White Herb, so the user will receive the Attack or Special Attack boost and then the lowered stat will be restored; if the same stat boosted by the Ability is lowered, the White Herb never has a chance to activate.

Can someone calculate the odds for my poor Dondozo?

Turn 42

Tyranitar used Thunder Punch!
It's super effective!
(The opposing Dondozo lost 9% of its health!)
The opposing Dondozo is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The opposing Dondozo used Waterfall!
It's super effective!
(Tyranitar lost 100% of its health!)

Tyranitar fainted!

(The sandstorm is raging.)
The opposing Dondozo is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Go! Mamoswine!

Turn 43

Mamoswine used Icicle Crash!
It's not very effective...
(The opposing Dondozo lost 4% of its health!)

The opposing Dondozo flinched and couldn't move!

Turn 44

The opposing Dondozo is paralyzed! It can't move!

Turn 45

Turn 46

(The opposing Dondozo lost 5% of its health!)

The sandstorm subsided.

Turn 47

Mamoswine used Knock Off!
(The opposing Dondozo lost 3% of its health!)

Turn 48

A critical hit!
(The opposing Dondozo lost 17% of its health!)

The opposing Dondozo fainted!

Can someone calculate the odds for my poor Dondozo?

Turn 42

Tyranitar used Thunder Punch!
It's super effective!
(The opposing Dondozo lost 9% of its health!)
The opposing Dondozo is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The opposing Dondozo used Waterfall!
It's super effective!
(Tyranitar lost 100% of its health!)

Tyranitar fainted!

Go! Mamoswine!

Turn 43

Turn 44

Turn 45

Turn 46

(The opposing Dondozo lost 5% of its health!)

The sandstorm subsided.

Turn 47

Mamoswine used Knock Off!
(The opposing Dondozo lost 3% of its health!)

Turn 48

A critical hit!
(The opposing Dondozo lost 17% of its health!)

The opposing Dondozo fainted!
100% for using the bozo.

Actual question though, can you strikethrough the little sprites like :pikachu:? I just used strikethrough on it and nothing happened, which I think you can copy paste to check.

What exactly is the difference between a sweeper/cleaner/wallbreaker? Seems like a lot of different terminology to refer to offensive mons
A wallbreaker is a Mon that has a lot of powerful moves to deal massive damage and punch holes in your opponent’s team. A good example is something like choiced roaring moon. A sweeper is something that is supposed to take down a lot of your opponent’s mons or just win outright, normally with setup moves like swords dance, dragon dance or swords dance. A good example is calm mind+agility latias. A cleaner is normally a Pokémon that sets up or utilises strong priority and is normally fast (or uses priority) to ok all of your opponent’s mons late game once you weakened them enough with your sweepers and wallbreakers. A good example of a good cleaner is kingambit.

L
100% for using the bozo.

Actual question though, can you strikethrough the little sprites like :pikachu:? I just used strikethrough on it and nothing happened, which I think you can copy paste to check.
Lol I hate playing against dondozo too, but it’s satisfying to send it in against something that’s at +2 or 3 and then wall it, then rest off all the damage and sleep talk.

What is the reason to use deoxys s now instead of grimmsnarl as screen setter? Yes it's fast, but grimmsnarl still faster thanks to its ability...?
I think moreso versatility and the threat of being one of its other two sets could lead to mistakes by opposing teams.

They could assume it's a hazards lead, then you get screens, or think it's either passive lead, and you get off a nasty plot with three attacks. With Grimmsnarl, it's only ever one thing.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is sub Iron Boulder common? If I wanted to use it which set should I run?
Yes it's common, they usually run a defensive tera like Tera Flying and run either Close Combat or EQ as the 2nd move, Swords Dance is mandatory as well as Mighty Cleave.

:iron boulder:
Iron Boulder @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Mighty Cleave
- Swords Dance

Does low ladder usage even contribute to the overall usage stats because it seems they use the stats for 1695+ ladder to determine what and what isn’t ranked, i hope thats the case because low ladder is wacky sometimes

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Putting aside learning the tier itself, is OU a good tier to play in for improving your general battling and teambuilding skills? Do other tiers teach these more effectively?
I think any tier can serve well for this. The best way of improving is just getting more games in. The best way to improve building is trying out good, proven teams and seeing what qualities they have to reflect them in your own later on.

I think any tier can serve well for this. The best way of improving is just getting more games in. The best way to improve building is trying out good, proven teams and seeing what qualities they have to reflect them in your own later on.
Thanks for the swift reply! Just as a small follow-up question:

Would you say it's better to focus a single tier so the metagame knowledge can feedback into those skill improvements? Or would you expect this to just depend on the individual?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Thanks for the swift reply! Just as a small follow-up question:

Would you say it's better to focus a single tier so the metagame knowledge can feedback into those skill improvements? Or would you expect this to just depend on the individual?
I think people find the most success when starting with one and branching out when they have more comfort overall.

What is the Kokoloko tiering method
As I couldn't post in the other thread in time I figure I'll add some stuff since I was part of the original council.

To keep it short, when kokoloko was leading UU he decided in the transition to XY (when Megas became a thing) that it'd be worth it to take a more drastic approach to tiering and get rid of the biggest threats early on to get a balanced meta fast and then follow a strict schedule of retests starting from the highest priority (ie. mons that weren't as broken) to the lowest (ie. stupid sh*t such as Zygarde or Mega Gardevoir). While no stranger to controversy, particularly around Klefki, it did give us a fair few months of a pretty good metagame even if a bit stale.

Realistically the first rounds of bans weren't super different to the radars at the start of SV OU (except we got to be more liberal since we were retesting later), the biggest difference to what could've been done here is that at the time it was conducted all via council votes whereas now with Finch leading there's so much more community involvement so the retests would have to be through suspects but if something like that were to garner support in the future I definitely think it's worth exploring—moreso in OU than in lower tiers, in any case.

Hope this helped!

Edit: I went through the convos to search the first mons we banned lol, I'd voted on Diggersby, Gardevoirite, Staraptor, and Wobbuffet and abstained on Terrak (and only Raptor, Wobb, and Terrak were banned). Definitely not as "scorched earth" as some people called it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)