Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
This is an edit to my original post where I totally messed up in NOT realizing sooner that Galarian Slowbro and Galarian Slowking are actually alternate evolutions of Galarian Slow Poke. I count myself lucky to have shiny hunted 2 of them.

With that said, I guess my question regarding a main Psychic type attack for my Galarian Slowking takes point: despite the 10 point power difference and the abilities to reduce target PP by 3 or 10% chance to reduce special defense (1 stage) between Eerie Spell and Psychic, would it really make much of a difference if I picked Eerie Spell instead of Psychic? (I also realize that since Eerie Spell is a sound based attack, it can hit behind substitutes but is also susceptible to be blocked out by abilities or status moves that affect sound.)

Alernatively, if I decide on using Slowbro instead, would the damage mechanics of Shell Side Arm be more beneficial than Sludge Bomb despite it's lower chance to poison?
In OU, Galarian Slowking generally runs Future Sight because it makes for a great combo with Chilly Reception. By using Future Sight followed by Chilly Reception, Galarian Slowking can bring in a wallbreaker safely that can subsequently use this opportunity to deal a deadly blow by attacking simultaneously with the Future Sight damage. In rare instances, when instantaneous Psychic coverage is needed or when running a Nasty Plot or Calm Mind set, Galarian Slowking can opt for Psychic or Psyshock. Other than the reasons you've mentioned, another reason these moves are used over Eerie Spell is that, ironically, they have double its PP. Don't let that stop you from using Eerie Spell if you've found some cool applications of that move, though.

Galarian Slowbro rarely sees use in OU, as Galarian Slowking is usually seen as the superior pick thanks to its greater Special Defense and Special Attack and, most importantly, its access to the pivoting move Chilly Reception. In rare instances Galarian Slowbro sees OU use with a cheesy Nasty Plot set that takes advantage of Quick Draw in combination with the item Quick Claw. For this set, Shell Side Arm is a useable sidegrade to Sludge Bomb, though frankly its perk almost never comes to play since the set has Nasty Plot to boost its Special Attack. Galarian Slowbro in general sees more use in UU and RU.

I could see some use for Eerie Spell depending on if the "Last Move" it checks has to have been used on that particular switch-in, or in general. If it were the latter, it could be a good way to punish both Physical breakers it stops and deter certain offensive switch-ins by draining PP on high BP or significant utility moves. Depends on the move working that wait but I could see utility for that on a HEAT Set and (probably more relevant) the Sound aspect to avoid the AV set being exploited by Substitute Stallbreakers like Kyurem.

What set do people run on DD Kyurem? Been having a tough time figuring out the best tera type
The set that works for me, and has been aggressively destroying people in online random battles is basically almost a copy paste of Loaded Dice Baxcalibur, because its important to remember that Kyurem Black is basically the OP version of Baxcalibur. Ergo, Baxcalibur with better stats, but with a less good ability in some cases.

Dragon Dance, Icicle Spear, ScaleShot, and Fusion Bolt. Tera Electric. Jolly Nature with IVs in literally in everything but special attack. Loaded Dice as the held item. Max EV investment in attack and speed.

Loaded Dice Baxcalibur is insanely op, so Kyurem simply takes advantage of that same set due to being around the same speed tier, but with massive health and bulk that allows it to stay bulky even when fully speed invested, and its attack is huge enough that even a single boost will have it ko-ing most pokemon without any choice item contribution, allowing Loaded Dice to really shine as Icicle Spear and Scale shot show their worth. Usually this set is really good both in Singles and Doubles as long as you have a decent support. I find the best supports for enabling this pokemon is using Alolan Ninetails for screens and snow to boost defense to abominable levels (Health in the 400s even with full speed investment, that's eternatus level bulk). Though Grimmsnarl and Tornadus also work if you want to take advantage of Prankster since Ninetails needs the snow and speed to work. However, Ninetails is optimal for full defense screens up early and taking advantage of the Snow Defense boost.
And using a Maushold support with Friend guard, Tidy Up and Baton pass to safely switch in Kyurem without encountering hazards like Stealth Rock while also allowing it to come in with a D Dance Boost off the bat if necessary.

Terra Electric is to allow Kyurem to take full advantage of Fusion Bolt while getting rid of its myriad of weaknesses that resulted from its rather terrible typing back in its OU era.

Two boosts is usually enough to take care of most Arceus sets that don't resist it in one shot, while its a guaranteed two shot in one boost, which is fine, as Calm Mind booster Arceus cannot hope to raise its defenses against Kyurem's physical oriented set, and can't hope to boost enough in time to hit back in any meaningful way (again.. Kyurem is THAT bulky). Kyurem is so insane in this set that I find that teams centered around enabling Kyurem are some of the best Doubles sets in Ubers or Restricted VGC. (Personally, as I cannot claim to have watched other people test this team, this is merely the one I use).

I see that Meganium has oddly become an OU tier pokemon, and that surprises me considering I sometimes see it being touted as the worst starter in history. So how do you run it? I've already lost to a team that used a screens set with Grass Pledge. Can I get a full ev spread and move set?

Kyurem @ Loaded Dice
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Scale Shot
- Dragon Dance
- Tera Blast

I run this to be Baxcalibur at home lol. But you are very vulnerable to wisp and knock off, intimidate, hazards, etc. I'm not really sure if there is anything better yet on the physical side. On the special Atk side, you have the amazing freeze dry, dragon pulse, and earth power moves.

Fusion bolt and not Tera Blast, Important to remember what advantages Kyurem has over Baxcalibur in terms of Move Pool. Also Tera Electric removes all of Kyurem's usual weaknesses. Also Fusion bolt has usage outside of Terrastilization and has higher power and good spammability, and can take care of bulky water types that might be sent to counter, such as Scald Milotic.

I see that Meganium has oddly become an OU tier pokemon, and that surprises me considering I sometimes see it being touted as the worst starter in history. So how do you run it? I've already lost to a team that used a screens set with Grass Pledge. Can I get a full ev spread and move set?
All the new Pokémon were put in ou by default at the beginning of the dlc, meganium will drop soon

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Fusion bolt and not Tera Blast, Important to remember what advantages Kyurem has over Baxcalibur in terms of Move Pool. Also Tera Electric removes all of Kyurem's usual weaknesses. Also Fusion bolt has usage outside of Terrastilization and has higher power and good spammability, and can take care of bulky water types that might be sent to counter, such as Scald Milotic.
Kyurem-Black is banned from OU. Regular Kyurem doesn't have access to Fusion Bolt, which is why it often runs Tera Blast.

Why has Ogerpon fallen off so hard? Is it new toy syndrome or is there something about the meta now that's just awful for it?
Rain, the best match-up for Wellspring, gained some really big new toys like Archaludon that exploit it hard (Resistant to its STABs and not very vulnerable to its typical coverage), plus new Paradoxes like Raging Bolt and Gouging Fire not only add new Dragons but bolster sun, a playstyle the current Ogerpons don't have the best performance against.

I don't know if it's a HARD fall off or just new toys overshadowing, but a lot of the DLC2 additions definitely increased its pool of checks that are splashable or very viable beyond matching into Ogerpon.

Rain, the best match-up for Wellspring, gained some really big new toys like Archaludon that exploit it hard (Resistant to its STABs and not very vulnerable to its typical coverage), plus new Paradoxes like Raging Bolt and Gouging Fire not only add new Dragons but bolster sun, a playstyle the current Ogerpons don't have the best performance against.

I don't know if it's a HARD fall off or just new toys overshadowing, but a lot of the DLC2 additions definitely increased its pool of checks that are splashable or very viable beyond matching into Ogerpon.
I'd say its still pretty good if you run Ogerpon with solarblade. It's just a matter of running it WITH sun instead of against sun. Ogerpon Solar Blade can slice and dice the comp pretty hard. However, unfortunately it can recieve stiff competition from the likes of Hisuian Liligant in my experience thanks to Chlorophyll, Growth Venusaur too now he's back and ready to use Weather Ball like a champ. Though I'd say Ogerpon Fire's got more survivability thanks to its good type combination under the sun if fighting opposing sun teams.

Currently trying to create a Scarlet and Violet themed Team for VGC 20 rules (Two restricteds/Ubers, Doubles).

I've come up with

Koraidon with assault vest, adamant, full hp investment, Adamant, Terra Steel and Heavy Slam.
Miraidon with Shell bell or leftovers, Full hp investment, Modest, Terra steel with Flash Cannon and Solar Beam.
Raging Bolt, with rising Voltage, Thunder Clap (for dem cheeks of course.. can't go around without clapping some cheeks). Full Health investment too modest.
Friend Guard Maushold with full health and half def/spdef investment, Tidy Up and Baton pass.
Iron Leaves with Solar Blade.
Typical Screens and Parting Shot Grimmsnarl.

Any tips? Overall its a gimmick team to sorta be the Scarlet and Violet farewell team. But I think it has potential and I've slapped a few online so far.

I'd say its still pretty good if you run Ogerpon with solarblade. It's just a matter of running it WITH sun instead of against sun. Ogerpon Solar Blade can slice and dice the comp pretty hard. However, unfortunately it can recieve stiff competition from the likes of Hisuian Liligant in my experience thanks to Chlorophyll, Growth Venusaur too now he's back and ready to use Weather Ball like a champ. Though I'd say Ogerpon Fire's got more survivability thanks to its good type combination under the sun if fighting opposing sun teams.
Hearthflame is banned from SV OU, and based on your subsequent post I think you're discussing things in the concept of a VGC style Doubles ruleset, which are probably in another forum.

Solar Blade is a much bigger ask for Ogerpon because her Grass STAB is a major tool for her match-ups like Dondozo as an Unaware stop and several bulky Ground/Water Pokemon, with the move being marginally-at-best stronger than Power Whip while being crippled if you lose Weather control.

Currently trying to create a Scarlet and Violet themed Team for VGC 20 rules (Two restricteds/Ubers, Doubles).

I've come up with

Koraidon with assault vest, adamant, full hp investment, Adamant, Terra Steel and Heavy Slam.
Miraidon with Shell bell or leftovers, Full hp investment, Modest, Terra steel with Flash Cannon and Solar Beam.
Raging Bolt, with rising Voltage, Thunder Clap (for dem cheeks of course.. can't go around without clapping some cheeks). Full Health investment too modest.
Friend Guard Maushold with full health and half def/spdef investment, Tidy Up and Baton pass.
Iron Leaves with Solar Blade.
Typical Screens and Parting Shot Grimmsnarl.

Any tips? Overall its a gimmick team to sorta be the Scarlet and Violet farewell team. But I think it has potential and I've slapped a few online so far.
You should probably ask in the VGC subforum instead, this thread is only meant for questions regarding OU

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
What exactly is defined as low/mid/high elo?
This is obviously pretty subjective, but range-wise I personally see it as the following:

Low: 1000-1500 ELO

Mid: 1500-1800 ELO

High: 1800+ ELO

For high ELO, the 1800 mark usually places you right about in the top 200, while the 1500's tends to be when you start playing competent players with solid teams.

can someone please explain to me the criteria for OU pokemon this gen? why is minior here? or regigigas? or dodrio? or lanturn? or zebstrika? or toucannon? or PLUSLE AND MINUN? HOW?

is terastializing gholdengo out of ghost/steel type worth it? tldr; is losing the utility of rapid/mortal spin blocking and steel's resistances worth not taking an otherwise super effective hit from the type pairing's weakness?

defensively speaking its an amazing type boasting many resistances and 3 immunities. 2 of those immunities, normal and poison, blocks rapid spin and mortal spin respectively. from what i can tell from its page, fighting, steel, and flying are common tera type choices where as i would've expected ghost to keep the normal immunity albeit still losing the poison immunity which isn't as big of an issue because mortal spin is only on glimmora (and smeargle but its irrelevant)

on a related note, would goldengo be a good candidate for tera stellar as you keep the original typing defensively

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a wedsite/database I can consult that displays any pokemon's most used moves, Nature, items, ev spreads, Tera Types, etc.?
Smogon Stats gets updated every month with Pokemon's most used moves - Pikalytics gets updated when Smogon updates, so it won't be up to date until the new year when Smogon Stats also updates.

Until then, it's probably best to use the New & Returning Pokemon subforum.

I'm using a scarf Samurott-H with the moves Flip turn, Knock off, Ceaseless and Aqua Cutter.
My question: is Aqua Cutter or Razor Shell the better option right now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)