Registeel @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Toxic
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Block

Block when it is locked on outrage i use Block to trap it. Toxic + Protect are very broken for Kyurem-B. Epower and Hp fire don't do much damage and it can 3 hko it with Iron Head or use Toxic+Protect for selfhit of outrage. Another great counter is Steelix(Fusion bolt immune and more def) but it take damage of ice beam, epower and hp fire. Shedinja is great(eccept for Hp fire Kyurem-B), expecially with wow and mean look. For Band Kyurem Dugtrio in nice too, with sash and reversal and bastiodon is perfect eccept with epower(rare). =)

while it's a great counter for kyurem-b itself, what does it against the rest of the metagame? it's both fight and ground weak (the most common offensive typing right now i guess), it doesn't like hydro pumps from stuff like choice specs politoed and keldeo and it's quite useless against sun as well. for sure it walls kyurem-b but it can't do anything against the rest of the metagame as well. in this thread we should find the counters / checks for a mon but we should give a look at the rest of the metagame too i think. just to make an example, specially defensive mantine is a great answer to landorus-i (it's uber now but idc, just to make an example) since it only fears stone edge (that was uncommon) and to keldeo as well but it isn't even nu (it's pu i guess) so should we use it in ou? i guess no, it can check still keldeo which is the biggest threat now but it fails against the rest of the metagame. the same goes for steelix, shedinja and bastiodon, they can check kyurem-b but they aren't so good against the other mons (shedinja just loses to stealth rock and sand and bastiodon is x4 weak to ground and fight and has 0 offensive presence, the same thing that registeel has). personally, i don't care if you guys post "standard" stuff like jirachi, ferrothorn and scizor to check kyurem-b or slowbro, landorus-t and gliscor to check terrakion. it's fine, this thread should help newer users to deal with the biggest threats in ou and stuff like jirachi, ferrothorn and scizor are more common but more effective than stuff like bastiodon or registeel and i think they should begin to play with effective mon in ou, instead of uncommon and bad mons. i don't hate the idea to use other things to check the biggest threats in ou but i think it isn't the goal of this threat as well.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Kyurem-B is pretty much impossible to counter, because it always seems to have something in its arsenal to fuck with the common things that switch into it. Skarmory can only sit there and spam Roost, praying it doesn't have Fusion Bolt. Ferrothorn and Forretress are destroyed by HP Fire the following turn. In my opinion, there is only one thing that can switch into any of Kyurem-B's moves bar HP Fire and proceed to threaten it next turn:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Although it can't switch into HP Fire, Scizor can switch into Fusion Bolt, Outrage, Dragon Claw, Ice Beam, and even Earth Power and then proceed to threaten to KO it with Bullet Punch next turn. This set still needs SR support to always nab the KO on Kyurem-B just in case it decides to run a bit of bulk, but other than that, Scizor is successful at countering Kyurem-B. There really isn't that much more to explain. All you do is switch into any of its moves bar HP Fire, then proceed to threaten it with Bullet Punch or even Superpower. Scizor fits well on pretty much every team, and I feel like it's one of the biggest reasons that Kyurem-B is still considered manageable in OU. This thing walls it, and kills it easily with BP.

Last edited:
Now everyone will say "jirachi, heatran, ferrothorn"

I think what this is the best counter.

Registeel @ Leftovers
- Toxic
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Block

Block when it is locked on outrage i use Block to trap it. Toxic + Protect are very broken for Kyurem-B. Epower and Hp fire don't do much damage and it can 3 hko it with Iron Head or use Toxic+Protect for selfhit of outrage. Another great counter is Steelix(Fusion bolt immune and more def) but it take damage of ice beam, epower and hp fire. Shedinja is great(eccept for Hp fire Kyurem-B), expecially with wow and mean look. For Band Kyurem Dugtrio in nice too, with sash and reversal and bastiodon is perfect eccept with epower(rare). =)
People pls don't run block on any pokemon, there is nothing like reaching turn 100 because of a troll blocking your gligar with his bronzong

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so while Kyurem-B is pretty impossible to counter, I'm going to list a few ways that I deal with it on my own teams.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 216 SDef / 252 HP / 40 Spd
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Protect

So my first choice would have to be Jirachi. It resists Kyurem-B's Dragon STAB, as well as Ice Beam. Earth Power isn't doing too much, and Jirachi can just heal off the damage with Wish and Protect. Iron Head hits Kyurem-B moderately hard, as well as easily breaking it's sub, while Body Slam forces Kyurem-B out with the risk of being para'd. This set does best against the mixed attacker, but something like banded Fusion Bolt easily 2HKO's. However, choiced sets of Kyurem-B are much easier to deal with, so I'm going to be sticking with the mixed attacker set.

My next check is Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 88 Def / 252 HP / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Protect
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is only really weak to HP Fire, and in the rain where Ferrothorn is normally seen it isn't doing too much. Leech Seed can keep Ferrothorn nice and healthy, while Gyro Ball easily breaks it's sub. Be careful that Gyro Ball can easily be Stalled out, since it only has 8pp, meaning a set consisting of Roost / Sub / Dragon Claw / Ice Beam really could beat this set.

The best way to counter Kyurem-B is to find out what set it's running, and what coverage moves it's using. Scizor, Breloom, and Terrakion are all great revenge killers, but you have to sac something to bring them in, meaning the Kyurem-B user is winning.

So yeah, not much else tbh, lol.

Slight nitpicking from what was mentioned above by SnowCristal: Shedinja can't check Kyurem-B since teravolt ignores wonder guard.

I really don't know what to say here, since Kyurem-B has no real hard counters. Not even in ubers. Like ShootinStarmie said, you really just need to scout its set so you can play around it. There's not much else to it. Entry hazards severely limit it, as it's weak to stealth rock and vulnerable to spikes and toxic spikes, the latter really hurting roost sets the most. Kyurem-B hates status in general, especially burn and paralysis, so if you can manage to find an opportunity to status it, then by all means do it. Although I'd still say revenge killing is the best way to defeat it.

I'm not going to post any sets because you can't really beat it in any creative ways. Pretty much the entire offensive metagame takes a dump on Kyurem-B, which I guess is a fair trade for it taking a dump on the defensive metagame. At the end of the day, just packing steel and fighting types in general such as Breloom, Scizor, Terrakion, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, etc. will discourage it from using outrage, letting you play around it or making it a 1 for 1 trade at best.

i agree that stealth rock (and spikes and toxic spikes too) are probably your best answer to kyurem-b. it takes 25% of its hp from them every time it switches in and scizor and breloom for example need stealth rock to ohko it with bullet punch and mach punch respectively (scizor has to be choice band variant though).

also yeah forgot about kyurem-b's ability so shedinja is useless against it as well

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Now everyone will say "jirachi, heatran, ferrothorn"

I think what this is the best counter.

Registeel @ Leftovers
- Toxic
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Block
An EV spread of 248 HP / 228 SDef / 32 Def with a Calm nature prevents Registeel from being OHKOd by anything Kyurem-B might carry except Focus Blast, and Flash Cannon over Iron Head is a 2HKO on uninvested Kyu-B after SR.

Ice Shard donphan?
Donphan is a decent check Chomp. It can come in and tank most hits from it barring Banded Outrages which has a 94% chance to 2HKO it after Stealth Rocks. While in return Ice shard does like 40.22 - 48.04%. The only issue with Donphan is that its Ice Shards are unSTABed and uninvested. Donphan is a good check to it but not a fully on counter.

Unfortunately, we aren't talking about Garchomp but about Kyurem-B. I know the title is wrong but I already asked to change it without any feedback so it's not my fault I guess.

The best counter to Kyurem-B is the banhammer, but smogon just won't let it..
Scizor's a cool check but you're still pretty screwed especially if Kyurem-b comes in before rocks, can't really assume them being worn down by rocks before having to counter them, otherwise Volcarona wouldn't be much of a threat anymore either

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Honestly, if you have problems with Kyurem-B, then these guys are your best friends in the whole world. Despite the fact that Kyurem-B is a total monster, he becomes much less threatening with repeated switch-ins and creating Substitutes/taking LO damage. Without Stealth Rock, depending on the set Kyu-B runs, Scizor, Terrakion, and Breloom can no longer OHKO it. That's pretty significant, especially since revenge killing is the best (read: only) way to beat Kyurem-B, since not many things like switching in on it.

If you can get Kyurem-B to switch in just once or twice into Stealth Rock, then he becomes much easier to handle. If it weren't for his Stealth Rock weakness, there would be no way that he would even be considered for OU. Alas...

Shafofficiel

allez tout le monde en balèze (baleze baleze)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Kyurem-B ,a nice big threat to any team What to expect it. For me its cons are steel pokemon like Scizor and jirachi only under rain, Because this pokemon may Hp fire Scizor and ferro, and Heatran for it earth power, This pokemon is really complete...

Shafofficiel

allez tout le monde en balèze (baleze baleze)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Registeel ftwin!
Nobody use registeel , an even registeel is here , knowing that Kyu-B is often use with magnezone .......

no for me :

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The scarf version it's a better idea to hit the Sub with u-turn and Switch in a pokemon that against the attack for Scizor Like Rotom (if no Earth Power ) ^^

Last edited:

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Nobody use registeel , an even registeel is here , knowing that Kyu-B is often use with magnezone .......

no for me :

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The scarf version it's a better idea to hit the Sub with u-turn and Switch in a pokemon that against the attack for Scizor Like Rotom (if no Earth Power ) ^^

Choice scarf adamant with no speed investment?

Hmmm. Kyurem Black is so damn hard to counter. On my stall team, I usually sack my least useful poke and threaten with Scizor. I try to get my cocks rocks up ASAP. Then I have to smart switch with Jellicent, Hippowdon, Heatran, and Forretress. It is absolutely insane. HO deals with it better, applying lots of offensive pressure so it doesn't get the chance to come in. Keldeo is an pretty good check, and Thorn in rain takes on Cube pretty well.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Ok, found counter!

Scizor (F) @ Occa Berry
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Natural Gift

O
k this scizor is the best counter of Kyurem. With occa berry tank hp fire of kyurem and also latios and celebi hp fire. Occa berry + Natural ift is a fire move with 60 power, boosted by technician and SD + 2 stab is classic =)

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
If has HP fire is subber set, break the sub tanking the hp fire and use again bullet, or use SD on his switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)