Victim of the Week v2, Kyurem

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

unless it's that mediocre Sunny Day w/ Magma Storm and Solarbeam set, Politoed pretty much fucks Heatran over and then some. Even if Heatran does get through Politoed with Toxic, the incoming rain will weaken Heatran's Fire STAB and make it easier for other opposing teammates like Latias to set up on weakened fire attacks.
Um, what? Weather trapper Heatran is amazing simply because every person running Politoed thinks they wall Heatran to hell and back, only to be trapped and 2HKOed by SolarBeam. This also works on Tyranitar, which I believe is OHKOed by a Modest SolarBeam. Weather Trapper Heatran is a great tool for sun teams that need to win the weather war no matter what, since Dugtrio only traps Tryanitar and Gothitelle has to run some weird Grass Knot / HP Fighting / Thunder Specs set if it wants to beat Hippo, Toed, and Tar. Plus, even if Ninetales goes down (not an uncommon occurrence), Heatran can still set up sun since people usually feel much better about foddering their weather starter after yours is taken out. Yes, Politoed can counter most other Heatran sets (Specs 2HKOs defensive Toed with HP Grass), but it definitely has to watch out for Weather Trapper Heatran, which is a completely viable set.

Um, what? Weather trapper Heatran is amazing simply because every person running Politoed thinks they wall Heatran to hell and back, only to be trapped and 2HKOed by SolarBeam. This also works on Tyranitar, which I believe is OHKOed by a Modest SolarBeam. Weather Trapper Heatran is a great tool for sun teams that need to win the weather war no matter what, since Dugtrio only traps Tryanitar and Gothitelle has to run some weird Grass Knot / HP Fighting / Thunder Specs set if it wants to beat Hippo, Toed, and Tar. Plus, even if Ninetales goes down (not an uncommon occurrence), Heatran can still set up sun since people usually feel much better about foddering their weather starter after yours is taken out. Yes, Politoed can counter most other Heatran sets (Specs 2HKOs defensive Toed with HP Grass), but it definitely has to watch out for Weather Trapper Heatran, which is a completely viable set.
I don't like it because a.) It only works on Defensive Politoed (Specced Politoed 2HKOs the standard set even in the sun) b.) It's pretty situational. You won't always need the trapping, but if you do you usually only get 1 chance to predict a switch to Politoed, or else your opponent will see the Magma Storm and not bring in Politoed not to mention the shakier accuracy than Fire Blast. I guess Sunny Day itself has perks on Heatran, but I'm just not a fan of Magma Storm.

Well Magma Storm also has a use in screwing over custap leads, which is actually quite great because every team needs their way of limiting custap leads to only one hazard or less imo

SpD tar with EQ also can take pretty much anything tran can throw at it, despite not really liking toxic at all :/

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Any Keldeo and Terrakion set can beat Heatran; Rotom-W and Lati@s shrug off most attacks, Starmie recovers any initial damage (fuck of SS!) and you got CB TTar which smacks Tran hard. DD Gyara makes mice meat of Heatran as well. KyuB is bulky enough to kill Heatran too.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Any Keldeo and Terrakion set can beat Heatran; Rotom-W and Lati@s shrug off most attacks, Starmie recovers any initial damage (fuck of SS!) and you got CB TTar which smacks Tran hard. DD Gyara makes mice meat of Heatran as well. KyuB is bulky enough to kill Heatran too.
I dunno about Keldeo and Terrakion tbh. I mean I know they are great switch in for most situations, but Terrakion fears the 30% burn from Lava Plume, and Keldeo fears Toxic. Still great switch ins though, just gotta watch out for hax.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Ice Beam / Toxic

Gastrodon is all-in-all one of the best Heatran counters. It boasts a super important resistance to Fire Blast, laughs at Earth Power and Hidden Power Ice, and can easily OHKO Heatran in return with Earthquake. It just has to look out for an incoming Toxic, which isn't all that terribly threatening when Gastrodon can OHKO it. Meanwhile, Gastrodon can run a physically defensive spread (its best in the current metagame) and still counter it reasonably well. HP Grass is borderline non-existent. Sunny Day + SolarBeam is a worry I guess...but most variants of Heatran are still countered well, and Gastrodon boasts numerous other uses. It also has reliable recovery, which means you can't just wear it down and expect to beat it eventually -- it will just Recover up and proceed to be a general nuisance for Heatran. Great defensive counter.

Gastrodon is obv one of the best counter of Heatran as you said and a good mon in general. Keep in mind that it can check pretty well Keldeo and volturn core at the same time (the most common one, Scizor + Rotom-W can't beat Gastrodon unless HP Grass Rotom-W which is really uncommon and bad too tbh since Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave and Pain Split are all better options in general). Returning on the topic of Heatran, Gastrodon just struggles against Toxic Heatran (if it Toxics you, don't expect Heatran won't switch for any reason and you won't have any chance, even later in the battle, to beat it with Gastrodon except in a 1v1) and to Sunny Day Heatran as well of course, although it's common only on the Magma Storm set to trap kill Politoed and Tyranitar and on some Flame Charge set as well (many people still prefer Earth Power though).

Just to note, every single heatran counter other than Balloon heatran is absolutely destroyed by the Magma storm set under sun. If Sun isn't up yet, Rotom-W can switch in relatively safely on all heatrans and threaten the 2hko.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 28 SAtk / 232 SDef / 248 HP
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Sorry for the delay. The next victim is Victini, I'll edit this message with description later but if you guys want you can by now discuss on it.

Victini
100 Hp / 100 Atk / 100 Def / 100 Satk / 100 Spd / 110 Spe

Ability: Victory Star

With good statistics overall and with the chance to kill some of its counter (for example Politoed can't switch into Bolt Strike) and with the strongest move in the game, V-Create, which with a Choice Band and if sun is up can easily 2HKO even bulky water type like Jellicent, Quagsire and Vaporeon, Victini is a threat for many teams. So what do you guys use to deal with it?​

Last edited:

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Well, my counter is this:

Chandelure (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Chandelure is Immune to V-Create by Flash Fire.It is also immune of Brick Break, U-turn tanked x4 and bolt strike do normal damage(3ohko). He can beat Victini with Shadow ball and destroy wholes sunny team without help. It is the best counter in my opinion and it work very well.

I would like to remind you guys that Victini has sets other than the Scarf/Band ones. I posted this on the OU ranking thread but just as a reminder to consider it:
Victini@Expert Belt
Victory Star
252 spattck/252 speed/4 defense
Modest

Blue Flare
Glaciate
Focus Blast
Thunder/Psyshock/HP Ghost

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus

unless it's that mediocre Sunny Day w/ Magma Storm and Solarbeam set, Politoed pretty much fucks Heatran over and then some. Even if Heatran does get through Politoed with Toxic, the incoming rain will weaken Heatran's Fire STAB and make it easier for other opposing teammates like Latias to set up on weakened fire attacks.
Dude, Weather trapper tran is in no damn way mediocre. Do not trivialize one of the best trapper sets in the metagame to sell your counter.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Special defensive Tyranitar handles everything heatran can do-- even the trapper set is 2hko'd by superpower (as it loses a turn setting up sunny day), and cannot OHKO with solar beam. Of course, winning the weather war will be hard with a weakened Ttar and sunny day up.

Even a lava plume burn won't result in a one v one win for heatran

Moving on to Victini.

My personal counter:
Rhyperior.png
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Dragon Tail
-Stealth Rock/Rest

Rhyperior can effectively wall Victini with its massive physical bulk. A choice banded V-Create will do only 25% to Rhyperior. This may seem like a lot of damage all the same, but compared to other Pokemon, Rhyperior really stands out. It also takes neutral damage from U-Turn and Zen Headbutt, and is immune of Bolt Strike. You have multiple options once your Rhyperior is on the field against Victini. You can proceed to use earthquake, which will destroy Victini after the V-Create stat drop, or use Stealth Rock to limit its switches, if you haven't already. Toxic works well for other Pokemon which might be switched against Rhyperior, and Dragon Tail allows you to spread the Stealth Rock damage.

Well, between V-Create, Bolt Strike, Brick Break, Blue Flare, Thunder, Focus Blast, Glaciate, Grass Knot I don't think anything in OU can counter Victini reliable.
Cresselia won't be 2hko'ed by any of these moves (edit: I miscalculated CB V-Create, but Cress can still take any other of its move), but fails to do anything in return. Swampert can tank 2 hits form anything but Grass Knot, which would be Victini's most rarely seen move, and retaliate with STAB Earthquake. But... with sun support Victini will 2hko both with ease.

The best way is probably to get up Stealth Rock asap and not giving the opportunity for free switch ins. As soon Victini's set is scouted it becomes much easier to check.

I believe that Scarftar can tank a V-create from even Band Victini, and outspeed even Scarf Victini after a V-Create, and quickly dispose of it with Pursuit. I'm too lazy to write up a whole big thing, though. Be warned, a Banded Brick break will 1HKO Max HP Tyranitar.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Well, between V-Create, Bolt Strike, Brick Break, Blue Flare, Thunder, Focus Blast, Glaciate, Grass Knot I don't think anything in OU can counter Victini reliable.
Cresselia won't be 2hko'ed by any of these moves (edit: I miscalculated CB V-Create, but Cress can still take any other of its move), but fails to do anything in return. Swampert can tank 2 hits form anything but Grass Knot, which would be Victini's most rarely seen move, and retaliate with STAB Earthquake. But... with sun support Victini will 2hko both with ease.

The best way is probably to get up Stealth Rock asap and not giving the opportunity for free switch ins. As soon Victini's set is scouted it becomes much easier to check.
Chandelure tank V-Create, Bolt Strike, Brick Break, Blue Flare, Thunder, Focus Blast, Glaciate, Grass Knot etc

Chandelure inst "tanking" bolt strikes any time soon. Victini has no counters, your best bet is use tyranitar to tank a vcreate and pursuit trap it but be careful of its coverage moves. If you want to play safe, terrakion, garchomp and keldeo can all revenge kill it easily. Politoed ruins victini fire spam but fears bolt strike.

Chandelure tank V-Create, Bolt Strike, Brick Break, Blue Flare, Thunder, Focus Blast, Glaciate, Grass Knot etc
Chandelure will be easily 2hko'ed by Bolt Strike and ohko'ed after Stealth Rocks.
252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 212-250 (80.91 - 95.41%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The next victim is Haxorus! You can start by now to discuss bout it, I will edit the op in the weekend with all the stuff (sorry, I am really busy these days :C)

Haxorus
76 Hp / 147 Atk / 90 Def / 60 Satk / 70 Spd / 97 Spe
Ability: Rivalry, Mold Breaker, Unnerve

Haxorus isn't a bad Pokèmon in OU tier, despite its low statistics of speed and its poor bulk, it has the quality to make a lof of damages. It has a really high statistics of Attack, STAB Outrage and good coverage moves like EQ, Aqua Tail and Superpower. All these characteres, a good Wall breaker in general and a good support for other offensive mons, mainly other Dragon-types. So, what tatics and mons do you guys use to deal with this dragon?​

Last edited:
My counter is.....Azumarill Skarmory!

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
-Whirlwind
-Spikes
-Brave Bird
-Roost

Meet Skarmory,a bane to all Dragons lacking a fire move(other than the Latis of course).It takes a pittance from Choice Banded moves,and the only way Haxorus can 2HKO it without boosts is by using Specs HP fire (lol).I don't really understand the smogon EV spread,so I will be using this one instead.The only reason I recommended Skarmory is because it cannot be KOed without.boosts or isn't set-up fodder for Haxorus without Taunt,like Ferrothorn and Forretress respectively.Every other steel type in the tier is OHKOed with a +2 Superpower,incuding Jirachi,Scizor,and Bronzong.Stuff like Landorus-T,Hippowdon,and Gliscor are all destroyed by a +2 Aqua Tail (though Hippowdon can tank one +2 Aqua Tail).

The problem is,despite massive bulk,Haxorus can still burst through it,as a +2 Rain-Boosted Water Gem-boosted Aqua Tail has a 50% chance of KOing it without Stealth Rock.I know almost no one runs that,but even the most recommended set on smogon can OHKO Skarmory with a Fighting Gem-boosted +2 Superpower 62.5% of the time.

Haxorus is a dragon-type,and many OU pokemon deemed uncounterable (i.e.Hydreigon and Kyub) are dragon types.This because so few things actually resist Dragon,and Dragon types have the power to burst through bulky non-resists (i.e.Hippo,Gliscor,Lando-t,Tangrowth,Slowbro) or the coverage to burst through almost all it's resists,dragon types are nigh-uncounterable.As shown above,Haxorus can still go through Skarmory,and therefore,Skarm isn't really a "counter",its just a really strong check,and in my opinion,the strongest check there is.There is no counter to Swords Dance Haxorus,as it can OHKO or 2HKO every pokemon in existance (even Shedinja due to Mold Beaker) at +2 with the correct move from the Superpower set.

Other sets like the DD set and Choice Scarf sets are easier to handle,as previously mentioned steels like Scizor and Bronzong will have an easier time defeating it.Skarm will now be a perfect counter,besides the rare Taunt.

The best way to handle this thing is by revenge killing,which means Haxorus will give no problems to HO.It's speed is lackluster,which means almost every offensive threat in OU is a threat to Haxorus.While Scizor cannot OHKO Haxorus like many other revenge killers,it is the best defensive revenge killer to Haxorus.Other Dragons are fine checks to Haxorus,the only exceptions are Kyurem-B(which it outspeeds) and Dragonite(which is OHKOed through Multiscale).

Well,thats my take on handing Haxorus.

Last edited:
Haxorus is a Pokemon I have a lot of experience both using and facing. I have tried using Skarmory to counter Haxorus, but if Skarmory gets worn down and Haxorus gets a Swords Dance boost, then good game. Also:

+2 252+ Atk Fighting Gem Haxorus Superpower vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 268-316 (81.95 - 96.63%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
And this is PHYSICALLY DEFENSIVE Skarmory.

The thing about Haxorus is that after it gets a +2 boost, a depressingly low number of Pokemon can actually take a hit from it. These mons are (assuming Fighting Gem intact): Cresselia, Tangrowth, Hippowdon, Gyarados, Forretress, Suicune, Donphan, Slowbro, Skarmory, and Gliscor. Of those, the last three and Gyarados are easily dispatched after Stealth Rock damage. So taking a hit from a +2 Haxorus is out of the question.

Revenge killing Haxorus is easier said than done, since Haxorus has a decent amount of bulk. Breloom's Mach Punch does 47.6-56.1%. Weavile's Ice Shard does 59.2-71.8%. Even Life Orb Mamoswine's Ice Shard only does 63.6-75.2%.

Fortunately, Haxorus will not constantly be at +2 Attack, and even when it is, it's not the fastest thing in the tier. If it gets to +2, it is revenge killed by things like Garchomp, Latios, Latias (not guaranteed OHKO!), Scarf Kyurem-B, Salamence, and...well...you get the idea. Just make sure your revenge killer is actually going to KILL Haxorus, since things like Keldeo and Terrakion fall slightly short. Also Scarf Ditto is hilarious when used against a +2 Haxorus, because you get to turn the tide on your opponent with their own mon.

The other thing you have on your side is the fact that your opponent does not predict perfectly. Thus, you can switch your Steel-type into a Choice Band Outrage, and you can even sacrifice a mon to Outrage to make sure (which guarantees Outrage even on a SD set). I personally like using Ferrothorn to sponge Outrages, as it can use Leech Seed and has Iron Barbs. The standard Ferrothorn set will do here, but you must be VERY careful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)