Finals The World Cup of Pokémon 2020 - Finals [Won by Team Italy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Europe (3) vs Italy (5)

TonyFlygon (45) vs (55) Kebab mlml - Normally I would go with Tony and I still think he has a great opportunity, but the numbers don't lie and Kebab has managed to win multiple important games recently whereas Tony has struggled. On thing I want to highlight about Kebab is that while he is not the most experienced or scary opponent, he is unpredictable in the teambuilder. Be it him or WoF, you really do not know what is coming and this makes preparation a headache. It could be something as simple as a teched out set on a standard team or Urshifu-Rapid over Urshifu-Single, but at the end of the day those things can make a difference and if you pick the right surprise for any given match-up, then it can go a long way. I think this is a large part of why Italy has been thriving thus far: strong team choices followed up with proper execution. Tony is still a good player and should not be counted out, but recent results make me favor Kebab here.

Bloody alfa (45) vs (55) Santu - Santu has been a solid, steady option for a while now. I think he flies under the radar of most people as he is soft-spoken and does not generate the same GOAT vibes that Empo, Tricking, or even Alexander. do, but he's one of their stronger options overall. Santu can go from one tier or generation to another and put up consistently above average results. I think that he has the edge in experience by a decent margin, with Bloody alfa only breaking out recently, and the metagame knowledge of these two is about on-par. I think Bloody alfa plays the tier itself more, but Santu has a more impressive network of support, which again I feel is one of the reasons for Italy's dominance. I also think that Santu can use anything from ratchet hyper offense to some off-beat semi-stall, which will keep Bloody alfa on his toes. Bloody has had a good tour and couple of months for sure, so I actually struggled to predict against him initially, but he still is a bit less proven to me and you had to pick one of these guys. If you told me a year ago about this match, I would honestly be surprised it was for WCOP at all, but both have exceeded all expectations and now it is one of the better games imo. Very excited to watch this one.

frisoeva (40) vs (60) Empo - Empo is going to do his 2020 thing and that'll be that. I really cannot justify predicting against him. He may have had an off game recently, but even then he's still super impressive overall with an impressive resume that is increasing in length at an alarming rate. Empo's trajectory is unlike anyone else right now and his SS and SM are both near the best of anyone. friso is great and has shown a lot of strong play over the last year or so, but I feel like he is outmatched overall. He can make aggressive plays, but Empo has been the best player when it comes to making midgrounds and gaining the upper hand all year. I just do not see a way to justify predicting against Empo here.

Mana (65) vs (35) H.M.N.I.P - Great to see Mana having such an insane WCOP with how dedicated he has been to it, looking forward to seeing how both ends of the game shake out with H.M.N.I.P en WCOP.

Pohjis (49) vs (51) Lopunny Kicks - This one is close and I am typing this on my phone, so I’ll spare you guys the epic dramatic back story and just say that I view Lopunny Kicks as the better modern SS OU player, but Pohjis as the slightly better overall player. It’s super close and can go either way. The differentiator for me is that Lopunny Kicks builds well and has a ton of creativity on his side, giving him a potential surprising edge in a game against Pohjis, who is not necessarily an OU main. Of course, Pohjis is no slack and he can easily play his way to victory here, but I give my fellow councilman a slight edge.

Quaze (55) vs (45) Raiza - Quaze is a really intriguing player. He uses creative teams, he makes the necessary aggressive plays, and he knows the tier very well. Maybe people aren’t super familiar with him yet, but the more I see the more I am willing to believe that he will stick around in the tournament community for a while. Raiza is already sort of established, but this WCOP he has quietly proven himself even more. He just won against Cdumas and has some other good showings, too. Overall, Raiza is probably the superior player, but I really love what Quaze has going in this generation and I think I favor him on instinct because of that. I think a lot will be determined by what risks are taken in the builder here though, should be a close one and I am excited for it either way.

Twixtry (35) vs (65) Tricking - Tricking is obviously great. Dude shows up every single tour with ungodly creations and puts up top records regardless of what’s going on or what these teams actually contain. I am convinced he will win here regardless of the opponent. Twix is solid and he won last round at least, but I really do not think he is a match for Tricking. I feel like he’s going to get blown back by aggressive plays and Tricking will have some surprise up his sleeve that will work well.

Eeveeto (55) vs (45) Rexus - Eeveeto has been solved by Europe. I don’t care what he has used or what mistakes he may have made in the past. He’s a changed man now — he is an absolute wrecking ball. I think he has had one of the more dominant WCOPs this year. Rexus isn’t bad, but he has struggles with consistency overall and I don’t think he will go much further than the teams he may use will carry him. Can go either way because of outside the box building on both sides, but I think Eeveeto is better overall rn.

Regardless of final results, amazing run by both teams and each of the semifinal teams that they defeated. Italy in particular has been more dominant than any team in recent history, which is especially impressive. It has been really cool seeing WCOP being all current generation and I think this has been a good change (and this is coming from someone who happily played BW every year prior).

Not going to do explanations for most, but essentially 4-4 going into tie-break I reckon. Good luck to both teams.

TonyFlygon vs Kebab mlml - (This will be close, bet)
Bloody alfa vs Santu
frisoeva vs Empo
Mana
vs H.M.N.I.P
Pohjis vs Lopunny Kicks - (This is my match of the round and is very coin-flippy, both fantastic players but I'll give the edge to Pohjis)
Quaze vs Raiza
Twixtry vs Tricking
Eeveeto
vs Rexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)