The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen OU Metagame [VOTING OVER]

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Latios

Its Choice Specs Draco Meteor is literally the gold standard of power that everything in OU is compared to. Seriously, the phrase "specs draco meteor from latios" is incredibly commonplace. This isn't even taking into account the rest of its versitality as a specially based Dragon type with an incredible speed tier. It has a decent Calm Mind sweeping set, a highly underrated Screens/Memento set, and even Dragon Dance (although it's a bit of a gimmick). Definitely deserving of a spot on this list, even if it's only #9.

Last edited:
Tornadus-T, it was one of the main reasons why people supported a Drizzle ban after BW2 and possibly had the most influential speed tier of all OU.

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
Latios

This thing is literally the pinnacle of special attacking for BW1, and only really matched by Keldeo in BW2. It deserves top 10 imo.

Latios

I like to think that Terrakion is the face of Physical offense while Latios is the face of Special offense, therefore it's only fitting that they'd be side by side in the ranking. Latios has constantly been a top threat in every metagame, especially late BW2 when 3 of the best U-Turners in Genesect, Tornadus-T and later Landorus were all banned. Like was said, Specced Latios is the gold standard for power but it also can run a variety of different sets which can beat most of it's checks/counters.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The voting for the #9 spot ends here! Here are the results

Landorus-I: 19
Latias: 1
Breloom: 1
Latios: 12
Dragonite: 2
Tornadus-T: 1
Scizor: 1

Landorus is the Winner!

Although both Latios and Landorus both seemed to have convincing arguments as to which deserved this spot more, the Landorus-I voters managed to sway most of the community, and now Landorus-I takes the #9 spot. While Latios proved to have a significant impact on the tier with its incredible power, Speed, and versatility, Landorus managed to become one of the most feared Pokemon in all of OU before its departure. Landorus-I was well known in OU for being one of the hardest Pokemon to switch into. The key of Landorus' success lies in its extreme versatility that let it run a myriad of sets that all had separate counters, making Landorus one of the hardest Pokemon to prepare for in OU. Its physical sets dominated BW1, as its Choice Scarf set was an incredible revenge killer and hit extremely hard in the Sand, while its sweeping sets ranged from Swords Dance to even Mixed Expert Belt. It wasn't until early BW2 when people really got into using the deadly Life Orb Sheer Force sets that pushed Landorus over the edge, ultimately ending up in Ubers. This set had very specific counters depending on what moves it ran, but most of its common counters could be handled with the help of Tyranitar or even U-turn. Rock Polish Sheer Force was one of the most terrifying sweepers in OU that most teams had trouble dealing with, and it took a massive dump on offensive teams that gave it a chance to setup. It was one of the best Pokemon this generation by far, and it required teams to prepare multiple answers for this thing. All in all, Landorus-I fits very nicely on this list, but Latios could have fit just fine in this spot as well. Landorus-I's suspect test and getting the boot to Ubers definitely helped it achieve this spot, along with its other important attributes.

Voting for #10 spot

Alright the voting has begun! We are going to be voting for the #10 spot. You're not required to write any sort of description about your vote, but if you want to then you're more then welcome to. From now on, I would highly advise you to write a few sentences explaining your vote, or else your vote may be more open to disagreement. Remember, this is the LAST vote, so make sure to choose wisely! The voting will always last for 2-4 days, as I feel that is more than enough time to cast your votes. Happy voting!

Tornadus-T, before his departure, he was one of the more feared Pokemon, Spamming Hurricane in the rain, and nigh uncatchable as it U-Turned out of trouble. Oh, and Regenerator + U-Turn is pretty sick.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Deoxys-S

The face of hyper offense, Deoxys-S was easily one of the most influential Pokémon on late BW1. Understand that when I say Deoxys-S, I really mean both Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D, as they both served similar functions. The only reason I make the distinction between S and D in my vote is because I believe the Speed forme of Deoxys was more influential at the time of its banning. Anyway, when we think of Black and White OU as a metagame, oftentimes we consider it to be one of the most offensive metagames that has ever existed. How can we call this an effective top 10 list if it doesn't even include the most effective suicide hazards lead OU has ever seen? Not only was Deoxys-S guaranteed to lay down two layers of hazards if you wanted it to, it also had the fastest Taunt in the game, meaning that the opponent wasn't going to be laying hazards with their own suicide lead any time soon. Furthermore, Deoxys-S, unlike its defensive counterpart, had useable base 95 offenses, meaning it could actually be an effective attacker if it wanted to as well! Luring in opposing spinners and KOing them with Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Fire or Thunderbolt. As I said before, this is the most offensive metagame we've ever had, it is only fitting that Deoxys-S find a place among the top 10 titans of OU.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am extremely torn between Deoxys-S and Latios, so I'm going to wait a bit to vote until I can fully decide on which one deserves the spot more. Maybe some of the voting arguments will finally convince me.

Dragonite
I would have Dragonite and Latios both here if possible. They were the physical/special representatives of dragspam. I feel that Dragonite had a larger impact with its rain, CB and DD sets. However, without Latios running around in the meta with massive Specs Dracos, Dragonite would have been easier to manage with steel types able to invest more in physical bulk.
Lots of other good Pokemon to choose from, but I think Tornadus-T is the only other legit option for the slot.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I know it's not nominated, but can I go out on a limb here and say I think Rotom-W might deserve the final spot?

Latios

Has there ever been a time where Latios wasn't one of the best pokemon in the tier? Even with Genesect and Tornadus-T U-Turning everywhere, Latios was top caliber IIRC. Along with Terrakion, it's one of the faces of offense and arguably the best dragon in the tier. Latios was a solid Uber in previous generations, it's drop this generation illustrates the power creep in general. Specs Latios is one of the reasons that every good team has a Steel type, a Draco Meteor from the thing hits way too hard. 10 is a lot less than I thought it was at first, things like Tornadus-T, Deoxys-S, Scizor or Heatran all deserve honorable mentions at the very least but I have to vote the last spot for Latios here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)