The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen OU Metagame [VOTING OVER]

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was going to say Deoxys-S, because it was the pinnacle of HO while it was around, but Deoxys-D was also an extremely good hazard stacker for HO, albeit not nearly as successful, but still good. For this reason, I'm saving it for my #10 spot vote, and instead voting for another Pokemon that deserves to be on this list just as much as Terrakion:

Landorus-I

Shootinstarmie said most of what I'm going to say, but in my opinion, Landorus was pretty much a direct predecessor to Terrakion for being one of the most consistent Pokemon this entire generation. Although Terrakion was more of a factor because of its Speed tier and forcing the metagame to become more offensive, Landorus-I was well known in OU for being one of the hardest Pokemon to switch into. The key of Landorus' success lies in its extreme versatility that let it run a myriad of sets that all had separate counters, making Landorus one of the hardest Pokemon to prepare for in OU. Its physical sets dominated BW1, as its Choice Scarf set was an incredible revenge killer and hit extremely hard in the Sand, while its sweeping sets ranged from Swords Dance to even Mixed Expert Belt. It wasn't until early BW2 when people really got into using the deadly Life Orb Sheer Force sets that pushed Landorus over the edge, ultimately ending up in Ubers. This set had very specific counters depending on what moves it ran, but most of its common counters could be handled with the help of Tyranitar or even U-turn. Rock Polish Sheer Force was one of the most terrifying sweepers in OU that most teams had trouble dealing with, and it took a massive dump on offensive teams that gave it a chance to setup. Basically, this thing was extremely dominant and consistent Pokemon this generation, and it deserves this spot more than anything else I think.

Hmm, this is going to be a tough one, but I'll vote for Landorus-I. It's almost always been an influential Pokemon in one way or another. In BW1, it was an incredible Sand abuser, often sweeping with Sand Force boosted attacks, stealing momentum with U-turn, and tossing around fairly powerful HP Ices to kill off Pokemon like Gliscor and Salamence without resorting to Stone Edge's 80% accuracy. Landorus-I was one of the best Scarf users in OU, and it had several other types of sets that it could use to lure in and beat its usual counters (such as Expert Belt and Smack Down sets). In BW2, Landorus-I changed gears and started acting primarily as a special sweeper while still maintaining some effectiveness as a physical threat. The incredible power and durability of Sheer Force Landorus-I ended up leading to its eventual ban from OU, a real testament to its power.

May be a wasted vote but whatever.

Breloom is Poke who came in from last generation already on people's minds as a threat. But game freak made breloom into an even more threatening Poke with technician and a buffed bullet seed. The technician gave breloom the ability either check the new threats of the tier such as Black Kyurem and Terrakion with Mach punch and low sweep, but it could do massive damage to anything it could hit for neutral with bullet seed. And for those feeling gutsy, a choice band set gives breloom the chance to have one of the strongest attacks in the game if it got all five attacks on bullet seed. This is all on top of breloom already crippling things with spore. The fact that putting sleep talk on a poke is deemed viable is because of breloom. It's fourth gen set with toxic heal and sub punch proved to still be quite viable leaving some unpredictability as to which set it was running. But no matter the set, Breloom is ready to cripple one poke with spore and at the very least hit another poke hard.

So yah, My vote is for Breloom.

I love how Landorus I and Terrakion get these votes despite the fact that they are like 40-ish during early BW. IMO Dragonite > L-I in a sense that the former was prominent during early BW1 as an Anti Metagame poke, and dominates BW1 until taking some drop off during BW2.

I still remembered that time when I joked how Terrakion is UU in PO
Latios

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of people are picking Lando-I based on the impact it has had recently since it was our most recent banned pokemon and was around in OU for the entirety of the generation. However, I think people need to remember that there have been other pokemon that have been more feared and more influential throughout the entire generation, as opposed to once its DW ability got released sometime last year.

Now the pokemon I will be nominating for this round is Dragonite. Although it saw rise once its Dream World ability came out just like Landorus, I think it was in the very beginning of BW as opposed to later on. Throughout BW, D-Nite has forced teams to run at least 1 Stealth Rock user, because if you faced Dragonite without a SR user, it would gonna pick up a DD or two and sweep. Just look at the SR-less ladder rankings and it was the most used Pokemon for a reason! Without taking any prior damage, Dragonite was guaranteed to have its Multiscale intact, which halves the damage received if the Multiscale user is at full health. This was incredibly useful since it has a 4X weakness to Ice moves and can now live almost any move bar Mold Breaker users and base 120 STAB Ice moves.

Two sets in particular made D-Nite the beast that it is. Firstly, the Choice Band set gave him immediate power to thwart things in its path. In the right conditions, it can 2HKO the metagame. One of the buffs Dragonite received was the further increased priority of ExtremeSpeed. This was a tremendous help thanks in part to being able to out Ice Shard users who are typically frail. Mamoswine has decent bulk but its not too big of an issue for Lance's signature pokemon since it can't switch in at all. Secondly, Dragonite's Dragon Dance set was another thing that benefited from Multiscale. This meant that it was incredibly easy for Dnite to switch in and get up at least 1 DD, if not 2, and go on its way to sweep. It has such great coverage, it can even afford to run an extremely effective Sub+DD or even Sub+Roost+DD set with Dragon Claw. Recently, I have been running into a lot of special-oriented rain Dragonites and Hurricane hits like a truck. It is definitely something that will catch people off guard and can work extremely effectively. Seriously, this thing was reborn in fifth gen because of Multiscale and needs to be voted a titan.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think all of the Pokemon being mentioned here are more than deserving of a spot on the list-- landoi, latios, latias; all great pokes that played major roles.

I personally would rather vote for some forme of deoxys; really a combination of S and D-- since they played similar roles, had similar effects on the meta, and basically shaped the meta to make an entire 4th arch time after Sand, Rain, and Sun-- Deoxys Teams. They were literally called Deoxys teams in Deo-D's reign. But seeing as there's no real combined vote, I'm not sure that can be fit in anywhere. I'd find any of the current major contenders more than satisfactory bearers of the 9th or 10th spots.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Latios

Latios is to special offense what Terrakion is to physical offense. It deserves a spot on the list.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)