The Next Best Thing v2 - Latios

i'll open the votation about latias in 12 hours. if you guys have something to post do it now, thanks.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

This Latias set is just a good utility and tank all-round, Draco Meteor and Surf are the offensive moves with just a decent coverage, Draco Meteor is just the best option for every mon no-steel. Thunder Wave is very useful for stuff like Jirachi (mostly Scarf which you cripple totally), Volcarona, Alakazam, CM Keldeo, Venusaur etc that some of this mons setupp on Latias after a DM drop while that Thunder Wave criples them to prevent their boost, finally Roost is the recovery mon that tanks with a bulky ev spread can check a lot of dangerous stuff like Thundurus-T, Breloom or Keldeo, while that paired with Thunder Wave gives her more chances.

Voting is now closed and the winner is Spinda's set. This set will be added in the v2 archive featured in the second post of the thread whenever JoeyBoy is back.
The next subject is the Male Twin, Latios!

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Latios (M) @ Life orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Recover
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

This set of latios is wonderful. Destroy all eccept Chansey/Blissey and jirachi. If opponent switch on heatran/ttar Latios is protected by his sub and with recover he had a nice staying power. Dpulse do nice damage without drops and Surf for coverage. It do nice damages to Heatran and TTar. Sub block the status moves and can take an advantage =)

Last edited:
Lati@s doesn't have that many gimmicks since they got the same movepool and can't really go under 346 speed with keldeo, not really approving this choice but gl for the participants

latios' main counters are tyranitar, jirachi, chansey and blissey so post a set which destroy them would be a cool idea i guess (i am not posting a set because i want you guys to do it)

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I'm agreeing with Morpheus tbh. Most of the sets posted for Latios are basically going to be the same as Latias. Maybe a Dragon Dance set? But overall, I think there are better options for this kinda thread :S

Anyway, instead of just bashing this thread, I may as well provide you guys with a set

Dual Screen Latios

Latios (M) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Memento
- Dragon Pulse

So Latios is a pretty cool dual screens user, mainly because of it's respectable bulk when invested, it's blistering speed, and it's nifty support move-pool. What sets this set apart from most Dual Screens users is Memento. Anyway, Dual Screens to allow a frail sweeper like Lucario to easily set up. Memento allows Latios to further support a teammate in setting up, as between dual screens and the Attack and Special Attack drops from Memento, a perfect opportunity to set up will have been created, rendering almost any Pokemon to no more than setup fodder for a multitude of sweepers. Dragon Pulse provides a solid STAB move, but it's not going to be used much anyway. Max Speed and max bulk is the way to go with this set, as you want to be able to live a hit while setting up the screens, and you still want to be able to out pace Keldeo and Terrakion.

Good team mates include sweepers, like Scizor, Lucario, and Terrakion. They all share great synergy with Latios, and set up on most of Latios' counters, like Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Tyranitar. Overall it's a pretty fun set.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Goddamn it ShootinStarmie, NOW PEOPLE ARE GONNA THINK I STOLE YOUR IDEA.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Serious Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

This set can lure in Tyranitar, which loves to switch in on a Pursut, and can 2HKO Tyranitar after Stealth Rock (Spikes are also really helpful for this set). I want to clarify though, that this shouldn't be used to attempt a Latios sweep, because that mostl likely won't happen. Instead, this Latios is supposed to act like a lure to its most common counters: Jirachi and Tyranitar (and the blobs I guess). You should only use this set in conjunction with Pokémon that appreciate those two Pokémon being gone. This includes Reuniclus, which cannot break through Jirachi, and needs TR up to be able ot beat Tyranitar. I know that Latios with a physical move sounds strange, but it really does what it's meant to do.

Latios (M) @ Life orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Thunder / Hp fire

After SR and one layer of spikes, you can easily OHKO Sdef Jirachi and Scarf tyranitar at +1, Outrage is your stabb and it does decent damage, the fourth move is really a question of coverage and which physicall wall you wanna beat, Thunder 2HKOs Skarmory under the rain and Hidden power Fire is dealing with Forretress / Ferrothorn / Scizor, you can also use waterfall under the rain as a nice coverage move, but it's not as worth as killing Skarmory / Ferrothorn. The problem with this set is just that it can't beat what Latios can destroy with the choice specs, he is less fearsome whem discovered while still being a nice gimmick for your team.

A Latios set that is original while not outclassed by latias or is just "slap eq on lo latios" is really hard to think of.. But fuck it.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- SolarBeam
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sunny Day

252 SpA Life Orb Latios SolarBeam vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 341-403 (88.34 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi in sun: 221-260 (54.7 - 64.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in sun: 463-546 (131.53 - 155.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Politoed: 341-403 (88.8 - 104.94%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

This serves as a band Tyranitar lure, which also has the ability to severely dent jirachi. Besides that, it also serves as weather control for weatherless teams, and backup sun for sun teams. ( It's 1 AM, sorry for short description. )
This set still has trouble with heatran, so make sure you have a good answer for that, but I feel like it has more general utility than EQ sets do.
You can use colbur berry if you want to have a chance at beating scarf/support tar, but its at the cost of a significant amount of power, and you'll still get ohko'd by bandtar crunch

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)