Project SV RU: The Next Best Thing (Week 23: Cyclizar) (Votings Open)

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator
Alright, this was a very fun week ! Congratulations to Bice for your:shaymin:Choice Scarf Shaymin:shaymin:winning this week !! Welcome in the Hall of Fame !
saymen.jpg

that's the look of a winner right there
1 --> 7 points
2 --> 9 points
3 --> 8 points
4 --> 5 points
5 --> 16 points
6 --> 3 points
7 --> 0 point
8 --> 0 points

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
WEEK 19
SNORLAX
snorlax NBT.png

rare image of snorlax looking cool
Let's all go back to classics this week with Snorlax. Very briefly, Snorlax is a famously bulky Pokemon with an outstanding HP stats coupled with 110 in Special Defense. Its Defense however is way lower with 65. It has two good abilities in Immunity and Thick Fat which fits its design of a Pokemon which can stay alive for a long time. Gluttony is more situational but I guess not useless either with some berry shenanigans. Snorlax has a very large movepool with valuable coverage in Earthquake, the elemental punches, Gunk Shot and more (quick interesting ideas move wise: Facade, Substitute, Screech, Recycle ofc). Its prime usage is as a slow set up sweeper with Curse, which will be the only banned set for the week. Be particularly mindful of the Tera you choose for your sets as they will be key for a Pokemon such as Snorlax which heavily relies on its bulk. As usual your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to share your most creative Snorlax sets and explain them in order to contribute to the growth of the RU metagame.
From SS's Smogdex:

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
Submission deadline: Sets should be submitted by 11:59 pm GMT+2 on Friday, October 27th,
Voting deadline: votes will go until 11:59 pm GMT+2 on Sunday, October 29th.
--> extended deadline for this round as I will be pretty busy for the end of the month.

Last edited:
Big Guy :snorlax:

Snorlax @ Custap Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 244 HP / 116 Atk / 148 Def
Adamant Nature
- Recycle
- Belly Drum
- Facade
- Earthquake

FUCK IT WE BALL -snorlax

You Drum up, you blast em, and if they try to get fancy and switch (or use a status move) you recycle and blast em again.

Targets to pick off first:

Driftblim- by pure typing alone it can wall this set, so make sure to get it off the field. Can also get some free wisps onto you and any switch-ins. Top Priority.

Brambleghast - Immune to normal, resists EQ, and can strength sap freely off of you. Top Priority.

Mimikyu - Disguise lets it absolutely just decimate you and will make you waste a Custap. Top Priority.

Slither Wing - 252+ Atk Slither Wing Close Combat vs. 244 HP / 148 Def Snorlax: 516-608 (98.8 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO.
Will force a tera ghost. medium priority.

REPLAY ZONE:
empy :(

BellyBlaze Snorlax

Snorlax is a user of the incredible move Belly Drum, but its low speed leaves it vulnerable to an easy revenge-kill by any physical attacker after Belly Drum cuts its HP. This is where it's new move Trailblaze comes in, boosting Snorlax's speed while still dealing damage. After one Trailblaze, Snorlax hits 261, beating all its walls and tieing with Slither Wing. At +2 it outspeeds the majority of the tier, with most faster threats being special attackers anyway.

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Tera Type: Ghost / Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Crunch
- Trailblaze
- Belly Drum

Tera Grass has the hidden benefit of increasing Trailblaze to 60BP before STAB, but Tera Ghost allows you to resist Slither Wing's First Impression, which would put a stop to your sweep no matter how fast Snorlax is.

:snorlax: Charm Snorlax

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 244 HP / 104 Atk / 148 Def / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Charm
- Body Slam
- Crunch/Earthquake

General idea
Curse is a good move because it boosts both Atk and Def, but the +1 Def leaves still Snorlax prone to physical attackers due ots low base 65 ==> I had to pass up on Curse.
Charm doesn't boost its already good offensive output, but Snorlax is one of those pokemons that can run an Adamant nature. Also, this Snorlax doesn't have to OHKO threats at full health, but it has to weaken things to help its teammates. This makes Charm a very spammable move since Snoralax attracts physical attackers anyway, and softens switch-ins for its teammates if you have to switch-out. Also, don't forget its natural synergy alongside Rest + Leftovers + Tera Ghost to change immunities/resistances in order to reduce the amount of damage taken when asleep ==> I think that Charm, a very spammable move with little risk, is very valuable here.
Since you have simply to soften the opponent's threats, we can pick selected moves that trades power for a good effect. STAB Body Slam with a 30% chance to do some Spe control, and Crunch (which I prefer over Earthquake) is here to cover better the Ghosts while hoping to fish some Def drops even when resisted.
Thick Fat is perfect here because we don't have Berries to use, and the immunity to poison seems less good with Rest.

EVs spread and item
I'm finding a good EVs spread, but:
8 Spe EVs allow to outspeed opposing Snorlax and other base-30 or below threats.
The HP EVs and Def EVs allows to live from a -2 Close Combat from Slither Wing after SR.

Leftovers is a basic (but effective) choice to regain hp.

Teammates support
Hazards control is appreciated since, even with Charm, we'll switch often (although less than a regular Snorlax), we want to preserve this bulky tank as much as possible. Also, this Snorlax loves to have teammates to support.

Last edited:
I see you have a physical attacker
not anymore

:Snorlax: Counter Yawn Snorlax :Snorlax:

Maccy D's (Snorlax) @ Aguav Berry
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 184 Def / 60 SpD
Careful Nature
- Counter
- Yawn
- Recycle
- Crunch

I'm so angry, I just made like 10 calcs and the tab just closed on me. So I had to re-calc them

But here's the idea

Snorlax has a busted HP, and great sp.def, but bad physical defence. So just bring the physical attacker, right?

uh, no.

Because of 160 hp, counter can claim kills when taking less than 50%

If Snorlax can't take something, it can yawn it and get a free switch or a sleep.

Crunch for da ghosty bois

Aguav + recycle + gluttony solves the longevity problem that Snorlax faces

Tera poison is for both a fighting resist, but also resists Power Whip from :Brambleghast: and Play Rough from :Mimikyu:, two ghosts Snorlax struggles to hit.

Rare footage of Bakon being a nerd and covering your page with defensive calcs:

:SV/Mimikyu:
252+ Atk Mimikyu Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Snorlax: 141-166 (26.9 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

:SV/Brambleghast: note that this is 252 atk Bram, most are defense invested
252 Atk Brambleghast Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Snorlax: 201-237 (38.3 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

:SV/Basculegion:
252 Atk Basculegion Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Snorlax: 196-232 (37.4 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

:SV/Krookodile:
252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Snorlax: 169-199 (32.2 - 37.9%) -- 95.9% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Krookodile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Snorlax: 163-193 (31.1 - 36.8%) -- 73.6% chance to 3HKO (don't get knocked off unless you don't want to recover)

:SV/Bisharp:
252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Snorlax: 156-184 (29.7 - 35.1%) -- 17.5% chance to 3HKO

:SV/Noivern: what about special attacks??
252 SpA Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 60+ SpD Snorlax: 138-163 (26.3 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

:SV/Slither Wing: :SV/Tauros-Paldea-Aqua: :SV/Pawmot: unfortunately, a tera or a switch is kinda forced into fighting attacks
16+ Atk Slither Wing Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Snorlax: 416-492 (79.3 - 93.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (this is a BULKY slither wing, note that)

And that's the Lax! I hope y'all enjoy this chonki boi

:BW/Snorlax: i am hunger

Last edited:
CB Lax
:bw/snorlax:

Snorlax @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Gunk Shot

Who need setup when you can break from the get go????
Tera Ghost for Slither Wing

Snores like dad@ Chesto Berry
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Crunch
No i'm not using snore snorlax. Tbh, this is the set I always run. Its spdef, ready to crush [insert a name] with body slam, takes ghost type in Its daily meal, and if the food was poisonous, let's rest forever for tWO turns... Wait no just click rest and fight again! Very tank, gets free fire and ice resist to destroy hisuian typhlosion, [insert ice beam/fire blast user] and whatever. "Ye but whabt the fighting types?"yeah i Dont have to introduce you to Tera, and snorlax Will most likely resist, body slam, win, continue the sweep except now with fairy type. Put snorlax in face of any spatker and gET a free sweep! spdef is the stat snorlax can't boost, so the investment gives a free 3-4 turns pf cursing ancestors. Yeah have fUN with the set, and Dont hesitate in any way to vote for me i'd be glad i promise

HUGE MAN IN THE KITCHEN
143Snorlax_Smile.png

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
EVs: 92 Atk / 252 Def / 124 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Crunch / Hammer Arm
This set utilizes an Assault Vest to amplify Snorlax's already sky-high Special bulk, making it a sort of more offensive Chansey/Blissey. Body Slam and Earthquake are your standard attacking moves, while Heavy Slam smacks pretty much every Fairy in the tier, especially Diancie. The last slot depends on whether you'd prefer to hit Ghost-types or Bisharp more. As Snorlax's HP is already titanic, it does not need investment in it to tank hits; mixed defense investment is generally better instead. 40 Speed EVs are used to outrun Mudsdale. However, if you really hate Psyshock Armarouge, you could probably invest a bit more in HP instead of SpDef, Atk, or Spe. Tera Ghost is a good emergency button against Fighting-types like Slither Wing. You could probably use Tera Fairy instead to exchange a fighting immunity for not having a weakness to Knock Off. Because this set lacks recovery, Wish users make for excellent partners, with Vaporeon in particular being able to pivot into Lax and ease its matchup into physical attackers with Scald burns.

Last edited:
Pure Skill + Outplayed + Ratio'd + Get Good

Snorlax @ Quick Claw
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Atk / 40 Defense
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Body Slam
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Not much to say here, use belly drum and then skillfully outplay your opponent with the incredibly ungimmicky and balanced item of Quick Claw. Tera Fairy is slightly worse for taking hits from Fighting Types over Tera Ghost, but provides much more leniancy in surviving Sucker Punches trying to revenge kill it. This Snorlax is specifically EVed to always live even a Choice Banded Slither Wing's Close Combat after Teraing and Belly Drumming. Nothing resists Lax's coverage also, so just get lucky incredibly skilled and you'll win with ease.

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
Alright thanks everyone for the amazing submissions ! Let's vote now:
click on the sprites to access the sets more easily
1/:snorlax:Belly Drum Custap Berry by Elec-ant1234
2/:snorlax:Belly Drum Trailblaze by MachJacob
3/:snorlax:Charm by nameless90
4/:snorlax:Yawn Counter by CheeseBakon
5/:snorlax:Choice Band by Pabloaram
6/:snorlax:RestCurse Crunch by Kin+ak (✧∇✧)
7/:snorlax:Assault Vest by Bice
8/:snorlax:Belly Drum Quick Claw by HoopsspooH

Again your creativity makes me want to proceed like the previous week with a top 3 vote. I just think it's the best fit for this project as all sets can be appreciated and have some votes while usually electing a clear winner unlike with the standard voting procedure. So reminder: the first vote earns 3 points, the second earns 2 and the third earns 1. For instance my vote is 2 > 7 > 5.

1>7>6

The Belly Drum sets are so high in my list because I think they have great potential, and I was going to post one of this ones, but I got sniped.
In 3rd position the CurseRest set because it is similar to mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)