Project SV RU: The Next Best Thing (Week 23: Cyclizar) (Votings Open)

CM Scream Tail

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 8 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock
- Wish

Here we have an offensivish variant of Scream Tail, which here uses Calm Mind to set-up both its SpD and SpA that is useful for two coverage moves (that also have STAB). Wish is kept for longevity and to let the opponent into thinking that this is a regular Scream Tail, instead of a variation of the classical set. Leftovers is chosen in order to keep this Pokèmon as healthy as possible.
You may argue that Wish and Calm Mind are strange together, but in actual fact it isn't. If you were able to stack enough Calm Mind (that helps to stomach special hits better, bar crits), you will probably use Wish as a self-recovery move, otherwise you can simply wishpass or dying while passing a huge Wish to your teammate.

Keep in mind that this thing doesn't OHKO threats from full, but with this set it can be a nice cleaner. As a cleaner, it has to outspeed the remaining threats of the opponent, and KOing while they are already weakened.

Even this Scream Tail with minimal SpA EVs investment can take out some things with the aid of Tera Fairy o two Calm Minds:
+1 8 SpA Tera Fairy Scream Tail Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Krookodile: 328-388 (99 - 117.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 8 SpA Scream Tail Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Krookodile: 326-386 (98.4 - 116.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
speaking of

:Scream Tail: Weakness Policy Calm Mind Scream Tail :Scream Tail:

Scream Tail @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam
- Boomburst

Alright, scream tail is fast, but lacks the attack stat for it to work. So this set allows it to set up to +2 (or +3 if you use cm) very easily. DGleam is for stab, flamethrower is for coverage and boomburst is in the name.

boom

calm mind can also give you a sp.def boost to take a special attack, so keep that in mind

as always, tell me if I should add more rarelyme, and I hope y'all enjoy the scream

:SV/Scream Tail: they call me ariana

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator
Congratulation to Malpheasant for winning this week with their:scream tail:Throat Spray Scream Tail:scream tail:! Thanks to all participants and voters you're epic. The Hall of Fame has been updated.
1 --> 2 point
2 --> 3 points
3 --> 2 points
4 --> 0 point
5 --> 2 points

Next week will be up tomorrow.

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
WEEK 18
SHAYMIN
shaymin NBT2.gif

For week 18 let's take a deeper look at this adorable critter: Shaymin. Stats wise, Shaymin is of course perfectly well-rounded with 100 in every stats. This means that it can outspeed key threats like Krookodile, Typhlosion-H or Mimikyu. Its solo Grass type can find various uses in RU notably against staples such as Krookodile, Wo-Chien or Slowbro. Moreover, Grass famously not being the best type means that Tera choices will be particularly important to support the role you want to give it. On top of this, Shaymin has an interesting movepool containing special offensive options like Seed Flare, Earth Power, Air Slash or Dazzling Gleam but also physical ones such as Play Rough, Seed Bomb, or Zen Headbutt. It has some recovery moves in Leech Seed and Synthesis and it can set up with Swords Dance, Growth or the newly acquired Trailblaze. As per usual your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to share your most creative Shaymin sets and explain them in order to contribute to the growth of the RU metagame.
adapted from the SM set in the Smogdex:
This is a bit subjective as it's the only set I've come across on the ladder so far, hence only 1 ban.

Life Orb 3 attacks:
Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Tera Type: anything
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Air Slash / Psychic
- Synthesis

Submission deadline: Sets should be submitted by 11:59 pm GMT+2 on Friday, October 13th,
Voting deadline: votes will go until 11:59 pm GMT+2 on Sunday, October 15th.

Last edited:
:bw/shaymin:
Shaymin @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Use Leech + Sub to abuse switching maded by Seed Flare -2 spdef drops.
Chose Air Slash to beat opposing grass types but a diferent terra + Terablast can be a option like Tera Fire for instance.
Tera Water for a good defensive typing and to flip Fire and Ice weakness

Last edited:
LeechTect ShayShay

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare

Ta-da! Shaymin is really cute. But let's get to the set-- Leech Seed is the Star here annoying teams that lack grass types (quite a few) with protect to accentuate leftovers and leech recovery allowing to stick around. One thing is like about leechtect shay over subseed shay is that it's not easily revenged by Noivern who bypasses substitute thanks to infiltrator. With protect however, u force chip on Noivern and can force it to roost which can be exploited with incredible mons like Diancie (cm), Krook (for free knock), or spikes by the tiers man, spikers.
Shaymin pairs beautifully with spikes setters whether its Klefki, Forre, Diancie or Qwil since they all appreciate leech's recovery. Diancie and Forre are better imo since the former's weaknesses of water, grass and ground are covered by Shaymin while the latter just loves leech recovery and a mon to absorb the scalds that annoy it.
The EVs allow it to outspeed Max, Jolly krook (I am unsure on how big of a difference outspeeding hyphlosion would be but max max is a fine spread). Air slash deals with the tiers grasses and tera fairy provides defensive utility but Tera dragon and electric are cool options too. Stab seed flare is self-explanatory.
While shaymin isn't a defensive staple like wo chein or a utility machine like Decidueye hisui pure grass typing (especially with natural cure provides valuable defensive utility) and it's not a slouch in the offensive department since it hits decently hard.
All in all I love this shaymin set! Try it.

Last edited:
Now with 50% less serene grace
Growth Trailblaze Shaymin

Screenshot 2023-10-10 10.37.17 AM.png
she has 0 IQ

Zarude Who? @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Electric / Fire (w/ tera blast)
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Growth
- Trailblaze
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash / Tera Blast

This set will absolutely function best on a sun team, so make sure to pair it with that. otherwise game plan is simple:
(NOTE: HO teams also help it, since getting chip against common resists may be cruical)

Use growth
Trailblaze
Win
Tera to gain extra set-up turns

And since I should probably explain how to use this, it functions pretty well as either an easy game progress maker or a late-game sweeper. Mid-game is where this set is weakest, and at no point should they ever expect this, so you have the element of surprise on your side.

Replays to prove I'm not just wafflin:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ru-1964572784 Shaymin opens up crucial entry point (defeats forre and destroys cloyster), putting opponent on back foot and allowing an easy cloyster sweep

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ru-1964578494 early game shaymin lead decimates forretress and her sheer presence causes the opponent to forfeit

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ru-1964605297 yet another shaymin forfeit

Attachments

Last edited:
say hi to the most basic set of them all since leech tech got taken.. (i hate you)

yawnn.. seed bomb is soooo boring.. my grass stab is trailblaze.

Shaymin @ Leftovers
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rest
- Trailblaze
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

dont ask what the evs do

Last edited:
saymen.jpg

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Ground / Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Air Slash / Psychic / Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish

Shaymin's Speed tier lets it outrun several notable scarfers such as Gardevoir and Krookodile, making it a solid abuser of the item. The real crux of the set is Healing Wish, giving Shaymin extra utility that the Life Orb set lacks. Shaymin has a few key advantages that make it worth using over Gardevoir; it's bulkier, faster, and its typing, though a bit of a mixed bag, gives it valuable resistances to Water and Ground. Also surprised that Dazzling Gleam is not on the default set as an option, given that it better enables Shaymin to hit Noivern and Umbreon while still smacking Wo-Chien and Slither Wing.

Last edited:
shaymin.gif

Shaymin @ Weakness Policy
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Trailblaze
- Tera Blast
- Zen Headbutt

This Shaymin set functions as a physical setup sweeper, using Swords Dance to bolster its Attack, and Trailblaze to serve as its STAB attack as well as the way it boosts Speed. Tera Fire in conjunction with Tera Blast allows it to lure and surprise muscle through a multitude of RU's opposing Grass-resistant Pokemon including Bisharp, Forretress, Revavroom, Magnezone, Alolan Sandslash, Lucario, and Vikavolt, while also still hitting things such as Slither Wing, Tsareena, Yanmega, Brambleghast, and Hisuian Decidueye which may feel safe after Swords Dance is revealed, making it unlikely that it carries Air Slash to hit them with.

Weakness Policy activates easily on common meta interactions such as Tsareena/Grafaiai using U-turn and Toedscruel using Earth Power (after Shaymin Terastallizes), and aside from that, Grass has many weaknesses anyway to draw in a super-effective hit for the boost, while Shaymin has the natural bulk to handle it. Zen Headbutt guarantees the KO on Dragalge and Salazzle at +2 and also takes care of Grafaiai and Toxtricity.

Tera Fire greatly improves the Florges/Sylveon matchup and also has the innate benefit of immunity to burn status so that its physical sweeping potential cannot be mitigated, while Natural Cure allows multiple setup opportunities that otherwise would not be possible, such as being faced with Thunder Wave Klefki and still feeling comfortable clicking Tera Blast. Shaymin's base typing allows it to force out common RU threats such as Krookodile, Mudsdale, Drednaw, and Basculegion for setup opportunities as well.

Last edited:
Shaymin @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rest
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Trailblaze

I decided to abuse the fact that Shaymin has Natural Cure and made it into a Facade sweeper. The main idea with this set is to get it in, get up an SD and a Trailblaze, and win with Facade. Pair it up with anything that threatens steels and ghosts, so Krookodile. I prefer rest on Shaymin over Synthesis just for a recovery that doesn't get griefed by constant Toxic chip. You can get rid of sleep anytime by switching out, and it also works well as a trick sack, so you could get toxic off on a scarfed mon like voir in exchange for a choice scarf. Pretty simple setup sweeper though, get an attack boost, get a speed boost, tera, win the game. Sets up freely on Wo-Chien and Scream Tail, kills Scream Tail with rocks support, and has a small chance of KOing Wo-Chien after rocks as well.

+2 252 Atk Tera Normal Shaymin Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scream Tail: 384-453 (88.4 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Tera Normal Shaymin Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tablets of Ruin Wo-Chien: 285-336 (76.2 - 89.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Fuck it, we recover spam

:Shaymin: Recover Spam Shaymin :Shaymin:

hejhog (Shaymin) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Healing Wish
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain

I responded to this week late, so I didn't have a lot of options for the hedgehog. So. Why not just be annoying with 4 recovery moves + healing item + healing ability (which was kinda forced but that's fine)

Defensively, Shaymin has above average defenses with 100 in each stat. If it's recovering so much health every second that is going to be annoying to deal with. Offensively, it only has leech seed and giga drain, so it's walled by grass types. However, the grass types in Ru don't seem to threaten Shaymin too much, so it's fine.

If it ever gets low on health and can't recover spam, then he can healing wish and heal a bulky teammate. Because the hedgehog can do that.

:sphearical:

I hope y'all enjoy the set lol

:BW/Shaymin: I love existing

Last edited:

Rarelyme

Comfortably Numb
Alright, lots of great sets this week ! Thanks everyone who participated. Let's vote now !
1/:shaymin:Sub Leech Seed by Pabloaram
2/:shaymin:Protect Leech Seed by Forest Guardian
3/:shaymin:Growth Trailblaze by Elec-ant1234
4/:shaymin:Swords Dance Rest by Xin Nevrakis
5/:shaymin:Choice Scarf by Bice
6/:shaymin:Swords Dance Weakness Policy by Malpheasant
7/:shaymin:Facade Sweeper by HoopsspooH
8/:shaymin:Recovery Spam by CheeseBakon

Thanks to the high number of submissions I decided to proceed like during Samurott's week: voting will happen following a top 3 format ! The first earning 3 points, the second earning 2 and the third earning 1. For instance my vote is 5 > 2 > 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)