Project SV OU: The Next Best Thing (Week 11: Iron Moth) (Votings Open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
My Goodness! The DLC is on the head, & we're again in this situation, again. Well, we'll have to run this project for probably 3 more days. I don't see any problem in it, do I? Alright then, here we go again!

Tie-Breaker

The rules, as always, are super simple, you may only vote for one of the 2 sets noted below. If you've already voted this week, you may not vote again. No need to vote for the next week's Pokemon.

The set of the players are as follows. May the best set win :->​

:Sv/Politoed:
Nameless90

Slowking-Galar @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Tera Type: Water
IVs: 0 Atk
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Surf
- Psychic
- Acid Spray

:SV/Lanturn:
Incorolla
Tera Fire Lure (Slowking-Galar) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 1 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Chilly Reception
Voting Deadline
Saturday, September 16, 7:30 AM GMT

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
The Next Best Thing is Back guys! The Tie-breaker round resumes, with a new rule! Anybody (even the ones who have voted earlier) is allowed to vote here.

Also, for the Next Week's Topic, we are going to revote!

The nominees for the Pokemon who will get a Next Best Thing in the coming Cycle are as follows :---> :gliscor::manaphy::ninetales-alola::ogerpon-wellspring::ursaluna-bloodmoon:

Voting Deadline: Friday, September 29, 7:30 AM GMT

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Why in the world are we getting ties in TieBreakers?

The voting deadlines have been shifted further to October 2! (The thread was actually supposed to be resumed on that day, so we have the buffer!)

Also, we won't accept any :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: votes, since its being suspected & on the verge of being banned. :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: is now replaced by :Gholdengo:!

The nominees for the Pokemon who will get a Next Best Thing in the coming Cycle are as follows :---> :gholdengo::gliscor::manaphy::ninetales-alola::ogerpon-wellspring:

New Voting Deadline: Monday, October 2, 7:30 AM GMT

Last edited:

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Congrats to Nameless90 & his Life Orb All Out Attacker Slowking-Galar set for winning the tie-breaker and this week's Next Best Thing Title. The current Hall of Fame is currently under discussions & modifications, thus hasn't been updated (will be updated soon)!

Submissions Open

Week 9: Gliscor
:sv/gliscor:

Gliscor was undoubtedly one of the most versatile Pokemon due to being able to fit in with offensive as well as defensive sets! Let's see if you guys continue this trend by getting another versatile Next Best Thing!

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Tera Type: Water / Dragon
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Knock Off
- Protect
- Spikes

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Facade / Knock Off
- Protect

Submissions Deadline: Monday, October 9, 7:30 AM GMT

Voting Deadline: Thursday, October 12, 7:30 AM GMT

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Toxic
- Substitute

subtox is a tried and true strategy that can really shine in the current metagame. mine runs 237 to outpace min speed 100s but you can tailor the speed creeping to your fancy. slap this bad boy on fat balance teams and watch it do work.

Last edited:
Scary Face + U-turn Gliscor a.k.a Annoyer set

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Scary Face

Gliscor brings a lot of utility moves, and in this set I picked Scary Face, a status move with 100% accuracy in order to bring some useful Spe control, a thing that Gliscor doesn't have. Scary Face is also a very spammable move because of 100% accuracy and Spe drop, which is always useful
What makes Scary Face relevant is both the -2 Spe and the access to U-turn to gain momentum, something that sometimes is underlooked. With Scary Face you can realistically choose between a slowish U-turn and a fastish one. This is important to support your teammates while dealing chip damage and scouting some items.
Earthquake is the STAB with high base power and Knock Off is mandatory in my opinion because in this generation this move is not available for too many pokemons, so it is much more valuable.

The EVs spread is stolen from above, and I find it nice because you can outspeed something with Some Spe EVs and you can tank better on the special side of the spectrum.

This Gliscor doesn't have to KO things, it has to annoy the opponent's threat through Knock Off, Scary Face and/or U-turn.
For these reasons, this Gliscor does well when we have still some teammates to support since it lacks offensive power to muscle through threats.

Last edited:
Fling + Acrobatics
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Acrobatics
- Fling
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
Fling gives a single-use toxic while powering up Stab Acrobatics and reducing damage taken from knock off. Swords Dance can be used on defensive great tusk, or Glimorra if it clicked rocks on the EQ. 48 Speed EVs lets it outspeed most defensive Gliscor sets. Healing 1/8 every turn makes it sometimes able to get a Swords Dance on most physical attackers. Tera water notably resists ice and water, giving it more survivability. Toxic orb fling also slowly breaks through unaware dondozo, the most viable unaware wall at the moment.

Last edited:
SD Scale Shot

:sv/gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb / Loaded Dice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Scale Shot
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Crabhammer

How did NO-ONE notice this thing for scale shot? All of a sudden, your bulky health recovering crab ( I guess?) / bat / scorpion is now faster than pult after a single scale shot. This is basically a side grade to scale shot chomp !

Both of it's standard defensive teras that help it set up increase one of your STABs, and it can run adamant and still outspeed pult after a scale shot ( I haven't tested, but I think you need jolly to outspeed scarfers like ghold, rotom, and loyal 3 so that's an option).

Loaded dice makes scaled shot a lot more deadly, but other than the likes of d-nite it's not good for much other than speed + neutral damage, but all around the coverage is good for neutral and SE hits overall, and could revolutionise the SD set ( or be complete gargbage, it's up to you to decide lmao).

PS: make the set preview item be :loaded dice: so I look creative :sphearical:

Last edited:
SD Scale Shot

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb / Loaded Dice
Adamant Nature
- Scale Shot
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Crabhammer

How did NO-ONE notice this thing for scale shot? All of a sudden, your bulky health recovering crab ( I guess?) / bat / scorpion is now faster than pult after a single scale shot. This is basically a side grade to scale shot chomp !

Both of it's standard defensive teras that help it set up increase one of your STABs, and it can run adamant and still outspeed pult after a scale shot ( I haven't tested, but I think you need jolly to outspeed scarfers like ghold, rotom, and loyal 3 so that's an option).

Loaded dice makes scaled shot a lot more deadly, but other than the likes of d-nite it's not good for much other than speed + neutral damage, but all around the coverage is good for neutral and SE hits overall, and could revolutionise the SD set ( or be complete gargbage, it's up to you to decide lmao).

PS: make the set preview item be :loaded dice: so I look creative :sphearical:
What I love best about this set is that there are so many Gliscor hanging about it isn't hard to navigate a Toxic even without the orb.

SLOW BAND

Gliscor @ Choice Band
Ability: Hyper Cutter / Poison Heal
Tera Type: Water / Bug
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Dual Wingbeat
- Crabhammer

This set loses a big draw to Gliscor - their great speed for a defensive Mon - to gain a powerful slow pivot. Banded U-turn hurts like hell, especially if backed by tera. If you can bait a toxic from something like Clodsire then you've got recovery, which is great. Tera Water is great here and makes Crabhammer a really dangerous option.

I'll let nameless90 explain why Hyper Cutter:
Just my opinion, but I think that in this set Hyper Cutter is the main choice to preserve the Atk stat from Intimidate users such as Landorus-T.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 148-176 (38.7 - 46%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 224-264 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 210-248 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 316-372 (99 - 116.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
[
/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Offensive T Spikes
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Tera Type: Water / Normal
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic Spikes
- Dual Wingbeat / U-Turn / Facade
- Swords Dance / Knock Off

Generally the biggest struggle tspikes teams have is not being able to keep tspikes up in the face of poison types. Furthermore, most tspike setters are either lacking the longevity to put up tspikes throughout the game as necessary or are so passive as to give up too much momentum, making it difficult to rack up the desired pressure. This set aims to remedy that using the naturally easy to preserve :gliscor: who is also naturally unsafe for poison types to switch into by virtue of its stab EQ off a good enough attack stat. This gives it many opportunities to force the opponent to choose between taking the poison/toxic from tspikes and taking a big hit on a poison type.

This set is very customizable (although consider the first listed option in each moveslot to be the submission option); the essense of the set is captured in just the presence of EQ and tspikes. The only relevant poison type with an EQ neutrality is :amoonguss:, which is what you would use dual wingbeat, SD + EQ, or especially SD + DW to handle (EQ alone does 30-35%, approximately matching regen recovery which won’t do without knock off + other hazard support, a lot for a hazard setter to ask). Other than :amoonguss: though, every grounded poison type in the game is 2HKO’d by EQ/OHKO’d by +2 EQ and most can’t hurt you enough to be problematic

(:toxapex:)
252 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 140-168 (46 - 55.2%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Toxapex Surf vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 150-176 (51.5 - 60.4%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

(:iron moth:)
252 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 124 Def Iron Moth: 664-784 (220.5 - 260.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (so any STAB boosting tera is still OHKO’d)

132 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 160-190 (54.9 - 65.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

+1 132 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 240-283 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

(Tera grass has to be read, but dual wingbeat unfavorably rolls to OHKO that, and 2HKOs/OHKOs at +2 any flying neutral or worse tera type, while all the teras that resist flying are unviable on :iron moth: especially against :gliscor: because they’re weak to ground:

132 SpA Tera Grass Iron Moth Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 181-214 (62.1 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

252 Atk Gliscor Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 124 Def Tera Grass Iron Moth: 268-316 (89 - 104.9%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to OHKO)

(:slowking-galar:)
252 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowking-Galar: 318-374 (80.7 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Slowking-Galar Surf vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 178-210 (61.1 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

0 SpA Slowking-Galar Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 133-157 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal

(Grassy seed :sneasler: in grassy terrain)
252+ Atk Sneasler Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 89-105 (30.5 - 36%) -- 10% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal

252 Atk Gliscor Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Grassy Seed Sneasler: 160-192 (53.1 - 63.7%) -- approx. 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

:glimmora:
252 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Glimmora: 576-676 (187.6 - 220.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Glimmora Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 166-196 (57 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

252 SpA Glimmora Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gliscor: 124-147 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal

(You outspeed so even sash tera grass + energy ball loses to dual wingbeat)

Bear in mind also that ground/flying is perfect coverage on any single type (and there may or may not be a generational mechanic that involves becoming a single type of your choice). While SD dual stabs certainly has defensive answers like :zapdos: and :corviknight:, tera can only provide a resist for 1 turn against you (which I won’t deny is often enough), not a consistent defensive answer to you.

The other enemy to tspikes in HDB can be handled by including knock off in your moveset over SD. For this set I would also probably recommend a spdef spread instead of an offensive one. U-Turn is yet another option that comes in handy against teams using :zapdos: or :corviknight: to check you, since they can put off tspike removal to force you out, and of course it’s just a generally useful move (it also generally does enough to break tera grass substitutes). Finally, Facade is more generally applicable as secondary coverage on an SD set, with extremely impressive power if combined with tera normal, while DW is more tailored to the role. Other options to consider, albeit less seriously than the given options, are protect, flingless acrobatics over dual wingbeat intending to knock off absorb, taunt if not wanting to run :gholdengo: to block defog, and crabhammer for opposing :gliscor:.

SLOW BAND

Gliscor @ Choice Band
Tera Type: Water / Bug
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Dual Wingbeat
- Crabhammer
Just my opinion, but I think that in this set Hyper Cutter is the main choice to preserve the Atk stat from Intimidate users such as Landorus-T.
  • -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 148-176 (38.7 - 46%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 224-264 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 210-248 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 316-372 (99 - 116.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Ooh, that's a great idea. I'll edit it in as a primary slash. If by some miracle I win, you get 50% credit in the HoF!
  • -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 148-176 (38.7 - 46%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 224-264 (58.6 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 210-248 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 316-372 (99 - 116.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)