Project SV OU: The Next Best Thing (Week 11: Iron Moth) (Votings Open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
BreakerPon

:sv/ogerpon_wellspring:

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Knock Off / Power Whip
- Taunt
- Synthesis

Although Wellspring lacks the overbearing ability to break that Hearthflame Ogerpon had with Mold Breaker, Taunt allows Ogerpon-Wellspring to beat almost anything on stall single-handedly while Synthesis helps with needed longevity. Power Whip immediately threatens Dondozo, Alo and Pex, while Knock Off enables permanent progress by making the aforementioned mons take hazard chip, which can add up quickly in a metagame where max hazards are often achievable and not difficult to maintain with the presence of Gholdengo and more Spikers than there is removal. On a team with solid hazard setters, Knock Off is likely preferable.

The given spread maintains enough speed for offensive Great Tusk and lives a Corviknight Brave Bird from full; with rocks up, Corvi in fact gets 2HKOd by Ivy Cudgel + Brave Bird recoil. This set also hard walls Gliscor even if it Teras, as it can taunt to prevent Toxic and Protect and resists EQ, taking only minimal damage while not even letting it get up hazards.

Tera is mostly unnecessary on this set, but it improves the matchup into stall Tornadus-T, Corviknight and Sludge Bomb Toxapex, no longer being weak to their attacks and gaining a Sp.Def boost to take even less from special hits from mons like Gholdengo and Specs Dragapult. Pure Water is just a good typing to have defensively, also removing your weakness to U-turn to improve the Cinderace matchup. The additional damage is also appreciated, with Ivy Cudgel now being a roll to 2HKO Corviknight from full.

Ivy Cudgel Calcs
252+ Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 252-296 (71.5 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 248 HP / 92 Def Tornadus-Therian: 220-259 (60.9 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 142-168 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Power Whip Calcs:
252+ Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 135-160 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 320-378 (63.4 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Knock Off Calcs:
252+ Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 336-396 (105.9 - 124.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tera Cudgel Calcs:
252+ Atk Wellspring Mask Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera Ivy Cudgel vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 190-224 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO
Pre-Tera:
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 72 HP / 8 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 59-70 (18.4 - 21.9%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Def Dondozo Body Press vs. 72 HP / 8 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 101-119 (31.6 - 37.3%) -- 85.6% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 72 HP / 8 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 264-312 (82.7 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Ogerpon-Wellspring: 102-121 (31.9 - 37.9%) -- 94.5% chance to 3HKO

Post-Tera:
0 Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 72 HP / 8 Def Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera: 132-156 (41.3 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Tornadus-Therian Bleakwind Storm vs. +1 72 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera: 102-120 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 89.4% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Toxapex Sludge Bomb vs. +1 72 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera: 42-49 (13.1 - 15.3%) -- possible 7HKO
252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. +1 72 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera: 93-109 (29.1 - 34.1%) -- 2.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. +1 72 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Ogerpon-Wellspring-Tera: 184-217 (57.6 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Submissions Closed
Splendid work guys! Though its wierd to see such huge similarity in every sets! Nevertheless, I'll take it!

A special welcome to LOrd Fernado , toshimelonhead & kd458 for participating in the Next Best Thing for the first time. We'll be looking forward for more such amazing sets in the coming weeks.

Hereby, I announce the commencement of voting. You guys probably know the drill! We will be voting in Ranked Pairs. Basically, you'll be ranking the sets in descending order of their viability, creativity & relevance to the metagame. An example could be A > B > C > D > E > F or F > E > D > C > B > A.

Click on the name of the set to get the PokePaste for it. You may use the alphabets in front of the sets to vote!

:Sv/ogerpon-wellspring:

Week-9 Ogerpon-Wellspring
A: Offensive Spikes :wellspring mask: by nameless90

B: Offensive SubSeed :wellspring mask: by LOrd Fernado

C: Focus Energy :wellspring mask: by InvisibleWater

D: SD + Encore :wellspring mask: by toshimelonhead

E: Bulky Defensive SD :wellspring mask: by CheeseBakon

F: Spikes + U-Turn Pivot :wellspring mask: by Poke nerd

G: Spikes + Seed Pivot :wellspring mask: by doomer

H: Taunt + Synthesis Breaker :wellspring mask: by kd458

Since you guys hated for for adding Hatterene last week, we won't have votings for the Next Week's Topic this week (It's a Surprise!!)

Voting Deadline: Saturday October 21, 7:30 AM GMT

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
F > E > H > G > D > A > C
F) Easily the best one imo, because of how it has the most unique playstyle
E) This one was just effective in general and reminded me of something like Mega Scizor
H) Stallbreaker set is pretty interesting and a good job for your first time
G) The only reason this is here is because all the others were really good, but this is nice as well
D) This one works and is probably the most effective competitively, but it wasn't creative enough
A) Swords Dance sets just heavily outclass this
C) More gimmick :(

E>D>B>A>F>everything else

:hatterene: was my top choice last week :( it’s a lot better in :gliscor: meta than :samurott-hisui: meta and has an interesting set of alternative options. :ogerpon-wellspring: has a ton of options but they generally don’t feel like distinct sets, which I kinda feel like is on display here. Oh well.

E > F > G > D > C > G > H
Reasonings:
E: With Grass-Water typing I think that Ogerpon has the bulk to use SD to set-up SD and clean. It seems solid to me.
F: It is similar to my set, but with U-turn instead of Knock Off. Only second position because it is hard to drop a boosted Knock Off since this move is less available than before, and has both utility and power behind itself.
G: Completely forgot about Leech Seed, but it is an effective way to pressure the opponent's threat to switch-out. The presence 9f of U-turn makes the difference.
D: Another SD set, but with Encore. I ranked this set here because I find this one more situational than the others above for synergy, creativity and effectiveness.
C: I think that Focus Energy is nice, although the lack of Razor Claw (that you can't use since you have to run the Mask....) in my opinion matters a lot. Too bad that you can't run Razor Claw because this item gives a lot more consistency to this strategy.
H: Because the effectiveness of Synthesis is really weather dependant and low PP hurts. Also, you don't really want Sun up because this weather nerfs your Water STAB. Not a bad set, but I think the others are better.

Last edited:

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
E > D > F > B > A > G > C
#1, E: I think a bulky SD set is a really cool and unique way to utilise this mon, especially with the Sp.Def boost you get from Tera
#2, D: Encore is probably my favourite way to run Ogerpon-W, deals with so much cheese in the tier rn, I'm a fan, though I'd probably drop Trailblaze on this set for better coverage like Whip/Leech or Knock
#3, F: I like the idea of this set as an offensive spiker, there's just a lot of competition for Spike setters. Still really good though and sounds better than Gren or Meow trying to fill the same role
#4, B: SubSeed with Encore? This is some real sinister work
#5, A: Similar to the pivot Spikes set, but I think I just prefer it with U-turn and Horn Leech to preserve HP, definitely still a cool choice
#6, G: I love the concept but I think this is taking role compression a little to the extreme, it's hard to imagine a game where you'll get as much use out of this as the set has potential for
#7, C: This looks really fun and also very funny, but unless you're facing an IDef/Curse mon, SD is just always better (+ you naturally lose to Zama anyway)

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Congratulations to CheeseBakon & his Bulky Defensive Swords Dance Ogerpon-Wellspring Set to win this week's Next Best Thing!! The Hall of Fame will be updated very soon!!

Screenshot_20231021-133404.png

Wildcard Week!!!
Yes, you heard it right! From this week onwards, every fifth week from now is going to be the Wildcard Week!!

With tremendous shifts in the metagame every month & fresh minds joining Smogon every week, we've decided to look back to our previous topics, & dust them a little.

The schedule for the Wildcard Week is :->

:great tusk: 23 & 24 October
Votings: 25 & 26 October

:Dragonite: 27 & 28 October
Votings: 29 & 30 October

:Meowscarada: 31 & 1 November
Votings: 2 & 3 November

:Ting-lu: 4 & 5 November
Votings: 6 & 7 November

For those who hadn't participated in the previous slates, you are allowed to post new & exiting sets for each one of them (only applicable if you haven't participated in that slate), keeping the BanList in mind!!

For those who had participated in the previous slates, you are also allowed to modify your sets, meaning you can't remove any item or move (unless they're nerfed or banned), but can definitely add some!!

If this all confuses you, but you still wish to participate, you can definitely reach out to me on my Discord or Smogon Convo :-D!!

Make sure to hurry, because each slate lasts only 2 days! The next Wildcard Week is estimated to begin on December 12, 2023 (where the slates will be even smaller!!)

Submissions Open

Slate -1 (Great Tusk)

:sv/great tusk:

With insane versatility & amazing utility, Great Tusk is undoubtedly one of the best mons in the current metagame. With insane typing, well rounded physical bulk, high utility & movepool, Great Tusk can act as a Wallbreaker, Defensive Wall, Sweeper & even Revenge Killer.

With last time winner being Savouras Tera Fairy + Play Rough Great Tusk set, we had received insane amount of sets. Do you think that's enough? Definitely NO!! Let's see if Fairy Tusk saves its position, or a newcomer becomes the Next Best Thing!!

SmogDex
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Ice
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Headlong Rush / Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Ice Spinner

Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers / Booster Energy / Eject Pack
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Fighting / Steel
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat / Ice Spinner
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Great Tusk @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Tera Type: Water / Fighting / Steel
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock / Body Press
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Great Tusk @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Fighting / Steel
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Rapid Spin
- Ice Spinner / Rapid Spin

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Tera Type: Steel
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Hall of Fame
Tera Fairy + Play Rough (Great Tusk) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Play Rough
- Rapid Spin
- Bulk Up

Choice Scarf (Great Tusk) @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Fighting / Ground
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake / Headlong Rush
- Rapid Spin / Ice Spinner
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Taunt + Heavy Slam (Great Tusk) @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 60 HP / 196 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin / Knock Off / Heavy Slam
- Close Combat / Headlong Rush
- Taunt
- Steath Rock

Focus Sash + Endevour (Great Tusk) @ Focus Sash
Tera Type: Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin / Rest
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Endeavor

Substitute + Bulk Up (Great Tusk) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Poison / Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 208 Def / 40 Spe
Impish Nature
- Close Combat / Knock Off / Tera Blast
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Substitute

Tera Rock + Rollout (Great Tusk) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rollout
- Rapid Spin
- Bulk Up
- Substitute

Sunny Day + Heat Rock (Great Tusk) @ Heat Rock
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off/Earthquake
- Rapid Spin/ Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Sunny Day

Chesto Berry + Rest (Great Tusk) @ Chesto Berry
Tera Type: Fighting / Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake / Headlong Rush / Knock Off
- Close Combat / Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock
- Rest

Substitute (Great Tusk) @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Ground
Jolly Nature
- Ice Spinner / Rapid Spin
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Substitute

Eject Pack (Great Tusk) @ Eject Pack
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Endeavor

You all are invited to refurbish your previous sets for Great Tusk!! :-D

Finchinator
Lobby Eeveee
Savouras
Eeveeto
Motor Hawk
CoralReaper707
BT89
Siuan
incorolla
nameless90
CheesyBrie

Remember, you can only modify your sets, but can't create new ones!! Enjoy!!

Submissions Deadline: Wednesday, October 25, 7:30 AM GMT

Voting Deadline: Friday, October 27, 7:30 AM GMT

Last edited:

kd458

Reversal Salac Tusk

:sv/Great_Tusk:

Great Tusk @ Salac Berry
Tera Type: Fighting / Ghost
Jolly Nature
- Reversal
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner / Bulk Up
- Endure

With Endure, Great Tusk can give itself a 200BP STAB move in a max-powered Reversal, Tera Fighting further enhancing the power of this set to the point that it's able to 2HKO resists unboosted; Bold Clef is a roll, and 0 bulk Enamorus is cleanly 2HKOd through its quad resistance. Headlong Rush hits Gholdengo and Slowking-Galar hard while also dealing with Toxapex but leaves you completely walled by Balloon Ghold and Gliscor, so Ice Spinner is chosen as a coverage move to handle these threats. After Enduring, Dragonite in particular will be able to revenge you with Extreme Speed despite the Ice Spinner; Tera Ghost is a consideration for this but generally the power of Tera Fighting is much more appreciated. Bulk Up can be included on this set to give the potential to snowball with Bulk Up and then Endure down to a Salac Berry for a potential sweep, but losing Ice Spinner is suboptimal particularly in this meta and any Defence boosts only serve to allow for more Bulk Ups when you will be ending up at 1HP regardless.

No fancy spread for this one, a Jolly nature is necessary to outrun Dragapult and Choice Scarf Gholdengo at +1 and particularly on a set like this it's not worth investing in bulk, maximising Attack instead being more important. This set functions best as a late game cleaner, and appreciates teammates that can act as alternative checks to Kingambit and Dragonite (although you do beat Gambit 1v1 if you're really good at Sucker Punch mindgames), and mons that can wear down Rillaboom over the course of a game like Zapdos, Moltres or Helmet Corv. As there is no way to boost your Attack, this cannot sweep without prior chip being dealt to bulky Phys.Def walls like Gliscor and Dondozo, and any mons with Rocky Helmet must be removed, the tier's lack of Ferrothorn and the fall of Garchomp helping out a lot here. Not gonna provide defensive calcs since yeah this mon intends to Endure down to 1HP, although of course it's still an offensive Tusk before that point and can do what Tusk typically does. From a lot of these calcs you can see that a +1 boost would kill almost everything in the tier on a Bulk Up or even Liechi Berry variant, but being guaranteed to be walled by certain mons is never a great option and the speed boost is necessary to function as this kind of cleaner, or alternatively give Tusk the option of coming in at any point in the game, Enduring down for a boost and forcing at least a trade.

Reversal Calcs:
252 Atk Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 229-270 (57.3 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Manaphy: 256-303 (63.3 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 357-420 (104.3 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Ting-Lu: 542-638 (105.4 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 381-448 (126.5 - 148.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Headlong Rush Calcs:
252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 218-260 (71.7 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Protosynthesis Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 290-344 (84.5 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kingambit: 338-398 (99.1 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowking-Galar: 474-558 (120.3 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 414-488 (131.4 - 154.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ice Spinner Calcs:
-1 252 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 180-216 (47.1 - 56.5%) -- 81.3% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 144 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 184-218 (51.2 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 220-260 (62.5 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 224-264 (70.6 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tera Reversal Calcs:
252 Atk Tera Fighting Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-227 (48.7 - 57.6%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tera Fighting Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 288-340 (57.1 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tera Fighting Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Zapdos: 223-263 (58 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tera Fighting Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 88 Def Zamazenta: 240-284 (61.8 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tera Fighting Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 346-408 (93.2 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tera Fighting Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Ninetales-Alola in Snow: 368-434 (105.4 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Funny Calc:
252 Atk Tera Fighting Great Tusk Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 3624-4264 (507.5 - 597.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

LES GOO I won, thanks for voting me everyone!

So great tusk actually has a VERY interesting move that's "usually useless" apparently...

:Great Tusk: Bolt Beam Great Tusk :Great Tusk:

Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Spinner
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

This thing gets thunder fang?!
This means that with ice spinner, you can have an offensive tusk without a HUGE resist...
Thunder Fang allows tusk to surprise hit the birds like :Corviknight: or the fish like :Manaphy: that threaten him for good damage. And in the case of any ugly toxic viability stealing flying rats (hint: Gliscor) just ice spin the hell out of it

Cc is for a great stab
Knock off is for a last resort on low hp and for ghost types

I hope y'all enjoy the set! Tell me if I should add more

:SV/Great Tusk: yeehaw

AV fairy lure

Great Tusk @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off / Ice Spinner

After my failure, I decided to look towards tusks literall weaknesses, it's typing weaknesses. It hated facing off against enam and valiant, or any fairy type. Not to mention the millions of Mons that abuse tera fairy. I decided to go for heavy slam over iron head is for 2 reasons.
1. We don't need the flinch because it's pretty slow
2. The fact that great tusk is so heavy means it'll mostly be more powerful.

The main targets of heavy slam is enamorus and iron valiant, who both get one shot by heavy slam.

252+ Atk Great Tusk Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 316-374 (108.9 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Great Tusk Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Enamorus: 388-458 (134.2 - 158.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Enamorus Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Great Tusk: 354-416 (81.5 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Great Tusk: 324-384 (74.6 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Bulky Substitute BU

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Ice Spinner / Knock Off

I decided to abuse tusks immense CHONK with a sub BU set. There's a lot of things that want to immediately switch out at the sight of it's glorious tusks, which means you can freely substitute and start bulking up.

The first problem I noticed about bu tusk is it's lack of speed, meaning most special attackers can quite quickly can swap in and take it out. However, with substitute in our arsenal, we drop the possibility for speed in favour of extra protection and bulk investment. Substitute as a bonus let's us be immune to status from the likes of :gliscor:, :cinderace:, and many more, as well as trick from :Gholdengo:.

Overall, I'd say substitute is a nice side grade to rapid spin, with it's ups and downs, especially since substitute can wear you down quite quickly if your not careful. The tera and EVs are probably somewhat customisable, varying the number of attack, defense and speed EVs.
I'm afraid Bulky Substitute Bulk Up set is banned!!! Sorry!

Refurbished Eject Pack set

:Great Tusk: Eject Pack Great Tusk

Great Tusk @ Eject Pack
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner/Rapid Spin
- Endeavor

This set is really a linear, but effective one because it is a classic offensive set (that requires Sun support to work at 100% efficiency) with two 120-STAB base power moves that drops our defenses immediately after its attack. Great Tusk is not the fastest monster available, but a set with 252 Spe+ EVs can outspeed some threats. The detrimental effect of Close Combat & Headlong Rush affects badly the staying power of our beloved Great Tusk, which uses Eject Pack to keep the momentum in our favour, although once, after using a high-powered move or after a drop from Intimidate.
  • This refurbished set uses Ice Spinner instead of Rapid Spin to have more immediate power and coverage. Still, Rapid Spin had its uses not only to have some hazards control, but also in order to gain +1 Spe and outspeed more threats.
The loss of HDB/Leftovers is mitigated somehow with the use of Endeavor, so you can make good use of the chip damage taken throughout the switch-in's. Also, Endeavor allows us to have a way to circumvent burn.

Last edited:

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Refurbished Eject Pack set

:Great Tusk: Eject Pack Great Tusk

Great Tusk @ Eject Pack
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner (no Rapid Spin)
- Endeavor

This set is really a linear, but effective one because it is a classic offensive set (that requires Sun support to work at 100% efficiency) with two 120-STAB base power moves that drops our defenses immediately after its attack. Great Tusk is not the fastest monster available, but a set with 252 Spe+ EVs can outspeed some threats. The detrimental effect of Close Combat & Headlong Rush affects badly the staying power of our beloved Great Tusk, which uses Eject Pack to keep the momentum in our favour, although once, after using a high-powered move or after a drop from Intimidate.
  • This refurbished set uses Ice Spinner instead of Rapid Spin to have more immediate power and coverage.
The loss of HDB/Leftovers is mitigated somehow with the use of Endeavor, so you can make good use of the chip damage taken throughout the switch-in's. Also, Endeavor allows to have a way to circumvent burn.
You can't remove Rapid Spin, you need to have it in slashes!!

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Submissions Closed
Thanks a lot for all the new & improved sets for the WildCard Week!!

Hereby, I announce the commencement of voting. You guys probably know the drill! We will be voting in Ranked Pairs. Basically, you'll be ranking the sets in descending order of their viability, creativity & relevance to the metagame (you need to vote for a minimum of 2 candidates). An example could be A > B > C > D > E > F or F > E > D > C > B > A.

Click on the name of the set to get the PokePaste for it. You may use the alphabets in front of the sets to vote!

:Sv/great tusk:

Slate-1 (Great Tusk)

New/Edited Sets:

Screenshot_20231025-105030~2.png

Old Unedited Sets:

Screenshot_20231025-105308~2.png
Screenshot_20231025-105316~2.png

For the Next Week (probably after November 7), the candidates for the Topics are as follows (we've decided to add all of the A Rank & above Viable Mons, you need to vote for atleast 2 in Ranked Pairs) :->

:gholdengo: :dragapult: :iron valiant: :zamazenta: :cinderace: :clefable: :iron moth: :manaphy: :ninetales-alola: :rillaboom: :samurott-hisui: :sneasler:

Voting Deadline: Friday, October 27, 7:30 AM GMT

kd458

C > I > L > F > D > G > E > B > M > H > K > J
#1, C: This is a really interesting set that I can see actually doing something, great lure and I think AV is definitely legit.
#2, I: EV spread should be modified to outspeed Scor, but Sub + Bulk Up is a pretty cool way to use Tusk that walls Scor and helps vs Will-O Cinderace.
#3, L: Resto Chesto is a great way to maintain longevity on a mon that often gets weakened over the course of a game, especially with Gliscor using Toxic in the meta.
#4, F: Scarf Tusk is an overall decent set, particularly on sun, but it can just generally work.
#5, D: Eject Pack Tusk is definitely a usable pivot on offensive teams and has proven itself usable over time, though niche.
#6, G: Taunt lead Tusk is a pretty cool concept, especially into Ninetales-Glimmora structures and Gliscor rn, but I feel like there are better leads and it still matches up poorly into Ninetales/Glimmora.
#7, E: Bulk Up Tusk is good, just that Play Rough is not justifiable coverage any more over Ice Spinner (once again, Gliscor)
#8, B: Booster Attack + 4 attack Tusk isn't necessarily bad, but Thunder Fang really hits nothing (Corv and Mana take more from CC, Head Smash or even Stone Edge would be better for Moltres)
#9, M: Cool concept, but Tusk struggles with staying healthy enough without lefties and Substitute doesn't really help here, why not booster Attack?
#10, H: Not much brings Tusk down to sash and it'll almost always just get outsped and die the next turn to anything that can accomplish it, and it's not often that hazards won't be up to break the sash.
#11, K: Manual sun is fun, but especially with the return of a second setter in Ninetales if you really want one I think Tusk is better used with a different set on sun teams.
#12, J: Rollout is very funny but opposing Tusk? Protect Scor? Doesn't really have a use case rn.
Next week: :Iron_Moth: > :Manaphy: > :Iron_Valiant:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)