Project SV OU: The Next Best Thing (Week 11: Iron Moth) (Votings Open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Bulky Pivot

:sv/iron moth:

Iron Moth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Quark Drive
252 SpA / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Flying
- Fiery Dance
- U-turn
- Morning Sun / Sludge Wave / Toxic Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Sludge Wave

I feel like I've done this for so many sets, but I guess it's the way I play the game makes these sets look more appealing. Basically you can hit pretty hard still with your main attacks, but u turn helps you against common counters like.... Uh..... Does this have any? Toxic spikes helps whittle down bulkier mons ( tusk in particular) to eventually take down it's massive HP. Tera flying further boosts it's chances against tusk and other relevant ground types, while still being a good type to abuse it's booties ( how does a moth wear boots?). It's also got recovery for MAXIMUM LONGEVITY that could still be subbed out for another move since it dies to one hit anyways.

You COULD always put more investment into bulky to support it's recovery, but power is always nice.

It's BEST partner is none other than :alomomola: who can provide a water typing to almost complete the FWG core, while wish passing AND making a nice volt-turn core.
Are you sure about the title "Bulky" Pivot??

Great set though!! I love how it isn't even a day and we already have 6 sets!! Thanks everyone :-D

Agility
1701816583831.png

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Fiery Dance
- Energy Ball
- Agility
Agility Iron Moth is a great cleaner that outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame with 1 Agility. Fiery Dance and Sludge Wave are powerful STAB moves that deal lots of damage to most of the tier; Fiery Dance even has the chance to raise Iron Moths Special Attack to help it take out its foes. Tera Grass Energy Ball targets Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types like Hisuian Samurott, Great Tusk, and Garganacl. This set is great on offense teams that want a cleaner that can outspeed the entire unboosted metagame.

Last edited:

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
All-Out-Attacker
:sv/iron-moth::expert-belt:/:life-orb:
Iron Moth @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Tera Type: Fire / Electric / Ground
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave / Dazzling Gleam
- Discharge / Tera Blast
- Energy Ball / Psychic / Tera Blast
this set is very good due to the crazy amount of coverage moth has. like this hits almost everything thats viable for super-effective damage

Last edited:
All-Out-Attacker
:sv/iron-moth::expert-belt:/:life-orb:
Iron Moth @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Tera Type: Fire / Electric / Ground
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Bomb
- Discharge / Dazzling Gleam / Tera Blast
- Energy Ball / Psychic / Tera Blast
this set is very good due to the crazy amount of coverage moth has. like this hits almost everything thats viable for super-effective damage
I think that you mean Sludge Wave, since this thing doesn't learn Sludge Bomb.
Still, I suggest in a set like this to drop Sludge Wave in order to use another attack since Iron Moth has a lot of coverage to choose from and Sludge Wave has the least coverage. Sludge Bomb would be great for the 30% poison chance even towards Poison-resisting targets, but this thing doesn't learn this move.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance / Overheat
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam / Psychic
- Metal Sound
I'm surprised no one is suggesting this set
Code:
252 SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Energy Ball vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 336-396 (65.3 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Energy Ball vs. -2 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 362-428 (92.1 - 108.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. -2 252 HP / 120+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 180-213 (45.6 - 54%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Quark Drive Iron Moth Energy Ball vs. -2 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Water Skeledirge: 468-552 (113.8 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I've been using this set for fun a lot and it has garnered me a lot of success. Metal Sound allows you to forcefully push out Iron Moth checks while you fish with Fiery Dance boosts. Overheat is there if you really want super output against a -2 SpDef opponent. It's a rlly fun set to try so feel free to try it out!

Last edited:

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Rain :Booster_Energy: Moth

:sv/Iron_Moth:

Christian Dior (Iron Moth) @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 120 HP / 4 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Hurricane
- Discharge / Energy Ball
- Tera Blast

This may be something truly insane, but with Tera Blast Water Moth can defeat some of its checks while also helping some of rain's tougher matchups, Sludge Wave being enough to OHKO Ogerpon-Wellspring or force it to Tera and drop its Water immunity while Discharge or Energy Ball hit bulky waters. Discharge hits both Toxapex and Dondozo while Energy Ball is a stronger move into most Waters and hits Ground- and Rock-types if Tera is unavailable. Tera Blast Water is also good in general for Moth as it allows it to hit Heatran, while Moth can hold off on using Tera in the Rillaboom matchup to quad resist Grassy Glide. Hurricane is a fun pick that gives Iron Moth 110BP 100% acc Flying coverage in the rain, allowing it to hit Zamazenta and Amoonguss for super effective damage.

Booster Speed is used here to outrun and OHKO Ogerpon-Wellspring, but Booster Sp.Atk can be considered as Rain doesn't tend to struggle for speed control and with Booster Sp.Atk + Rain you OHKO even Sp.Def Heatran with Tera Blast. Other options such as even Heavy-Duty Boots can be considered, but rain typically takes an offensive structure and so Booster is likely best on a set like this.

idk what to name this eeeeeeee

nuh uh uh (Iron Moth) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Energy Ball
- Substitute/Fiery Dance
- Morning Sun

One of the major things holding Iron Moth back is its crippling 4x weakness to Ground and inability to OHKO most Ground-type threats in the meta without terastallizing
So I thought, "what if instead of getting bullied by Ground-types, YOU are the one bullying Ground-types?"

Let's say Great Tusk is your victim:
Air Balloon is already annoying because it makes you immune to Ground-type moves, forcing Great Tusk to either use Close Combat, Ice Spinner or Rapid Spin (depending on the set) to get rid of the Air Balloon, and if they didn't set up with Bulk Up or something, it should leave you with enough HP to pull off a Substitute. But obviously you outspeed so you don't need to take a hit to set up a sub.
You can always just tera Grass right away and OHKO, but where's the fun in having Air Balloon and resisting Ground? Watch the enemy struggle.
You can also go Fiery Dance over Substitute so you don't get walled by Steel-types.
Toxic to cripple the Ground-types
and yeah
this set is 100% not winning but its fun

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Sorry for the delay, I had been on a vacation!!!

The Submission Deadline has been extended by 2 days for some new submissions as well as to give some time to the existing ones to change a bit in order to adapt to the DLC Metagame.

A kind request to the existing submitters, I can understand the sets' viability has changed tremendously, but please don't drop the core idea of the set while editing!!

Thanks a lot! Will be looking forward for your contribution!! :quagchamppogsire:

Submission Deadline: Thursday, December 28, 2023!!

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
Another announcement!!! The Hall of Fame has been semi-updated!!

The Sets, owner & the List of all sets are already there, but not the rankings of members & the Leader board (will be done soon).

In order to check your rank, you may see all the sets and count your position. Sorry for the inconvenience!!

Btw, the WildCard Week Winner's for Meowscarada & Ting-Lu are Sailorgreatest & Bruh Wobuffet respectively!! Congratulations!!

Ayush_1

formerly AyushKr_PKMN
I had been on a vacation, so couldn't post this!!! The DLC has seemingly balanced, but sadly, Iron Moth is UU now!!! Nvm, time for some Votings!!!

Submissions Closed
Thanks a lot for all the new & improved sets for the WildCard Week!!

Hereby, I announce the commencement of voting. You guys probably know the drill! We will be voting in Ranked Pairs. Basically, you'll be ranking the sets in descending order of their viability, creativity & relevance to the metagame (you need to vote for a minimum of 2 candidates & a maximum of 5). An example could be A > B > C > D > E > F or F > E > D > C > B > A.

You may use the alphabets written in front of the sets to vote.

Week 11 (Iron Moth)
Pokédex_Image_Iron_Moth_SV (1).png

Screenshot_2024-01-02-10-53-27-450_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2024-01-02-10-53-33-507_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2024-01-02-20-43-08-757_com.android.chrome.jpg

For the Next Week, the candidates for the Topics are as follows (we've decided to nominate them on the basis of Usage rather than Viability) :->

:gholdengo: :iron boulder: :roaring moon: :raging bolt: :hatterene: :gouging fire: :iron valiant: :deoxys: :darkrai: :samurott-hisui: :rillaboom: :enamorus: :archaludon: :kyurem:

Since we'll now follow Species Clause, therefore:

:deoxys: means both :deoxys-speed: & :deoxys-defense:!!
:enamorus: means both :enamorus: & :enamorus-therian:!!

Due to :samurott:'s utterly disgusting viability in OU, :samurott-hisui: doesn't mean :samurott:!!

Voting Deadline: Tuesday, January 9, 7:30 AM GMT!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)