Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not pretend like Kingambit is broken without Tera

Without it, we got counters like:

:great-tusk:, ID :mandibuzz:, ID :corviknight:, :moltres:, :zamazenta:, :kommo-o:, :quaquaval:, :iron_hands:

The following check it extremely well, or at least revenge kill it, which is all you need if it's the final mon anyway

:iron_valiant:, :iron_moth:, :greninja:, :landorus-therian:, Willo :heatran:, Heat Wave :zapdos:, literally any fighting type

Like come on, sure it's still a great mon, but it's essentially just a better ORAS Bisharp, within the context of the meta surrounding it.
Between the omnipresence of hazards and the boosts it's guaranteed to get, I'd say it's more akin to XY Bisharp, specifically during the DeoSharp era. Off the top of my head a lot of those fighting types are closer to checks, because 5 boosts Gambit can Sucker most of them if they've been decently weakened or crippled (not even accounting for SD boosts). Same goes for revenge killing, esp Moth and Greninja which are frail. Moltres does hold up against it pretty well though, but it's become less viable than it used to be fwiw. Either way a gambit test should wait until DLC2, and it would be worth freeing with Volc/Eleki/maybe Espathra if a tera ban happens.

all right, this is a big milestone-number post so i should start the 6000s off with a big wham-o plot twist or major reveal of some sort to build dramatic tension
we've all been looking in the wrong direction. everyone sees omni-man and thinks "ah yes, it's the omnitype". but no one thinks it might be the man type. the 19th type… is us
Really, when you think about it, isn't the real 19th Tera type society?

I don't really have any actual theories about Aurora but my guess is that it's something that interacts specifically with Tera Blast instead of changing the mon's type in general.

I don't really have any actual theories about Aurora but my guess is that it's something that interacts specifically with Tera Blast instead of changing the mon's type in general.
that's actually a pretty solid theory, and that might make a strong case for action on tera blast specifically, depending on the exact nature of the interaction. something like "completely neutral type" might be too strong on a lot of mons because it would be effectively impossible to safely switch into once you set up enough, and something like "changes typing to be super effective on everything" (which we've seen before with legends arceus hidden power) would be too stupid to even consider keeping

It might be just me, but I’m pretty sure talking about a mechanic we know nothing about currently besides it being a special Tera is very productive.
Also the leak people are refering to really means nothing. The 19th Tera type relating to all the types was a no brainer and it doesn’t tell us anything else about the mechanic anyways. Once DLC2 releases, people will backtrack to his post and act like he’s legit and not using Las Vegas Fortune Teller tricks for attention.

To be honest, Gliscor didn’t deserve the ban but I will say, it was a tad bit broken, not enough to land Ubers in my opinion though, but this means that Great Tusk can be great again, Gliscor’s ban means that Rilaboom’s usage may drop since it was a decent counter to Gliscor. I think there is a good chance that Fezandipiti might rise back to OU but with Kingambit around, that idea may not be true, I’m saying this since Fezandipiti is just specially defensive Gliscor without hazards. Sneasler could also get rise in usage as well since Gliscor resisted its STABs and was pretty much a better version of Sneasler!s support set (except for fake out and poison touch ofc). As well a chunk of Rilaboom’s usage right now is tied to Sneasler right now, same goes for Sneasler. I think there’s a good chance that Okidogi could rise to the seen as I see it as “gen 9’s Buzzwole” just that it is kinda like a fusion of Buzzwole and Sneasler. Gliscor was pretty detrimental to many strategies like hazard stack. Gholdengo will definitely see a drop in usage because it is also a detrimental part in the hazard stack strategy. And Landorus (therian) is definitely gonna fall down to UU and maximum UUBL. But also could stay in OU since it retains Gliscor’s typing and might (although having a slim chance) be the new Gliscor.

Between the omnipresence of hazards and the boosts it's guaranteed to get, I'd say it's more akin to XY Bisharp, specifically during the DeoSharp era. Off the top of my head a lot of those fighting types are closer to checks, because 5 boosts Gambit can Sucker most of them if they've been decently weakened or crippled (not even accounting for SD boosts). Same goes for revenge killing, esp Moth and Greninja which are frail. Moltres does hold up against it pretty well though, but it's become less viable than it used to be fwiw. Either way a gambit test should wait until DLC2, and it would be worth freeing with Volc/Eleki/maybe Espathra if a tera ban happens.
I think volc should be suspected in the case of a tera ban, it's always been borderline broken so it's probably worth suspecting it. Regieleki can come back 100% and though I would prefer Espathra stay banned bc it's annoying, it's definitely fine too

Gliscor’s ban means that Rilaboom’s usage may drop since it was a decent counter to Gliscor.
Rillaboom usage will remain extremely high as long as sneasler is in the tier and it's just a wrong assumption to think otherwise.

To be honest, Gliscor didn’t deserve the ban but I will say, it was a tad bit broken, not enough to land Ubers in my opinion though, but this means that Great Tusk can be great again, Gliscor’s ban means that Rilaboom’s usage may drop since it was a decent counter to Gliscor. I think there is a good chance that Fezandipiti might rise back to OU but with Kingambit around, that idea may not be true, I’m saying this since Fezandipiti is just specially defensive Gliscor without hazards. Sneasler could also get rise in usage as well since Gliscor resisted its STABs and was pretty much a better version of Sneasler!s support set (except for fake out and poison touch ofc). As well a chunk of Rilaboom’s usage right now is tied to Sneasler right now, same goes for Sneasler. I think there’s a good chance that Okidogi could rise to the seen as I see it as “gen 9’s Buzzwole” just that it is kinda like a fusion of Buzzwole and Sneasler. Gliscor was pretty detrimental to many strategies like hazard stack. Gholdengo will definitely see a drop in usage because it is also a detrimental part in the hazard stack strategy. And Landorus (therian) is definitely gonna fall down to UU and maximum UUBL. But also could stay in OU since it retains Gliscor’s typing and might (although having a slim chance) be the new Gliscor.
Gliscor was very clearly broken, I mean, just look at these calcs

+3 252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Normal Gliscor Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 885-1042 (277.4 - 326.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Gliscor Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 360-426 (118.4 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+4 252+ Atk TR43 Gliscor Fling (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 145-171 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252+ Atk Tera Grass Gliscor Night Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 422-498 (133.9 - 158%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Flying Gliscor Bounce vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sunkern: 1100-1296 (547.2 - 644.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Bug Gliscor Struggle Bug (60 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 268-324 (89 - 107.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+4 252 Atk Tera Steel Gliscor Searing Sunraze Smash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lokix: 969-1140 (342.4 - 402.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Dark Gliscor Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Great Tusk: 255-301 (68.7 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Maybe you think it was not broken because you were running the lame spikes/toxic set instead of the meta-defining specs set. skill issue tbh

I think playing around it would be more reasonable though without tera, as of right now with tera just like Volc it creates unreasonable endgame scenarios due to the boost provided for Kingambit to walk all over teams, without tera you can at least reasonably threaten a taunt or preserve a Zamazenta or Tusk to hard counter it rather than it going tera flying or tera fairy and walk all over them due to how easy it is to SD with tera gambit
True but my point was that it would still be an issue without tera. The fact that you have to say 'at least xyz could beat it' or 'playing around it is more reasonable' implies what I think which is that the mon will still be kinda stupid in the tier regardless of tera. Again, not that its broken bc personally im not sure it is without tera, but its still going to be this very powerful threat that wins way too many interactions and rewards generally bad playing. This gets back to my point where the one thing im happy with, with tera, is it getting rid of these annoying borderline broken threats.

I think volc should be suspected in the case of a tera ban, it's always been borderline broken so it's probably worth suspecting it. Regieleki can come back 100% and though I would prefer Espathra stay banned bc it's annoying, it's definitely fine too

Rillaboom usage will remain extremely high as long as sneasler is in the tier and it's just a wrong assumption to think otherwise.
YubelVT I did mention in my post that Sneasler and Rillaboom are detrimental to each others usage, and yes you are right, I’m saying that it MAY drop in usage and I didn’t mention this in my original post but if it does get a usage drop it’ll probably be by like 1%

The 5 tiers of brokeness
1-tad bit broken, dosent deserve a suspect test unless a majority of players want one
2-okay maybe a suspect test should be done
3- a suspect test should definitely be done
4- maybe a quick ban but more likely a suspect test
5- quick ban
Gliscor definitely wasnt in the first of broken. It wasnt really "a tad bit broken", it was meta defining and extremely limiting, leading to one of the most frustrating play styles in the game to face (gliscor spikes semi stall). Playing pre and post ban is night and day for how much I enjoy laddering.

Gliscor definitely wasnt in the first of broken. It wasnt really "a tad bit broken", it was meta defining and extremely limiting, leading to one of the most frustrating play styles in the game to face (gliscor spikes semi stall). Playing pre and post ban is night and day for how much I enjoy laddering.
That being said, I think Ghold and Sneasler are mons that I doubt many people would mind both being quickbanned at once so we can suspect something else since everyone wants those two gone from what it seems.

Also sure gambit encourages stupid endgame interactions, but there is a difference between busted endgame interactions with tera and tolerable ones without it.

I bring up the volcarona comparison again

I’m sorry if I did hurt your feelings or anything (that wasn’t sarcasm even though it sounded like it was) but it’s all opinions after all, and fine I’ll admit it, your right. I’ll put Gliscor on the 3rd tier instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)