Project SS NU Boss of the Sauce: Season 2: The Revival and Rebrand @ #264

Well, I think I'm going to cash out here. Hit somewhere a little above 1200 at first, then slipped below 1100 after a crummy streak. Gotta say though, I enjoy the weird concepts where I get to participate with my usual shenanigans
BOTS.png

BOTS2.png

Vvinter (Abomasnow) (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
Kind of standard-issue hail/veil setter. Stat spread lets me outpace everything up to adamant Perrserker

Siren (Lapras) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Life Dew
- Protect
"Useless moves" bearer #1. I was surprised to find Whirlpool was classified as "usually useless", so that gave me a great opportunity to use it here. I ran this set in gen 7 PU, with the big difference being Life Dew. Losing turns to sleep was what always bothered me, so I thought I'd try Life Dew.

Burgundy (Avalugg) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Bulldoze
- Mirror Coat
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
"Useless moves" bearer #2. I think I only got to make excellent use of Mirror Coat once, which was living a Jolteon's Volt Switch, then firing off the move onto an incoming Clefairy. Bulldoze was Stomping Tantrum at first, since both Rapid Spin and Mirror Coat had the potential to double its power on the next turn, but I couldn't make good use of that. Imagine being slower than an Avalugg though. Also worth noting is that I strayed away from my usual Rocky Helmet shenanigans, mostly to increase my chances of letting Mirror Coat get fired off in the face of entry hazards

Chief Beef (Piloswine) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 228 Atk / 40 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
Since I had both side of the defending spectrum covered, I thought I'd assign this to be an attacker. The weird EV spread is with Gourgeist in mind, who could theoretically live a LOrb-boosted Power Whip from full, even after Stealth Rocks, but I never got to see that happen. Oh well

FR-057 (Silvally-Ice) @ Ice Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Thunder Fang
- Self-Destruct
"Useless moves" bearer #3. I WANTED to say something along the lines of how you can still salvage an in-game Silvally if you forgot to teach it Explosion in the previous gen, but then I noticed he still learns it naturally. I don't know what else to say about Thunder Fang, but Self-Destruct hits a LITTLE bit harder than Multi-Attack does if neither of the two attacking moves can hit something

Nora (Froslass) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Cursed Body
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Poltergeist
- Triple Axel
- Destiny Bond
I started out with scarf Rotom-Freeze, but kept getting krumped by fighting moves. And since Whirlpool can't trap Ghosts, I thought of switching to her to deal with them properly

Of the 6, I'm going to give the title of "creative set" to...
lapras.gif

Siren (Lapras) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Life Dew
- Protect

Replay of the team's first draft

Mariannabelle

chill guy
I too shall go ahead and post:
bots4.png

here's the team:
bots4 (2).png

ninjago (Ninjask)
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Protect
- Swords Dance
I'm Mariannabelle, and this is my friend Ninjask. Enough said.

Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- U-turn
Defogger bro number one.

Rotom @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
Defogger bro number two.

Truck Gnaw (Drednaw) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Scale Shot
- Head Smash
- Liquidation
- Jaw Lock
Offensive water pick- it does big damage to crap like Piloswine, Sandaconda, and Stunfisk-G, which are things I need dead if Ninjask is gonna operate. Head Smash is TE BIG MOVE, with Sitrus to help compensate for the recoil. Liquidation is the obligatory water STAB. Scale Shot is a move that lets me boost my speed and attack at the same time (the defense drop is mostly inconsequential), and I got more than one sweep by getting a ScaleShot on something that I forced out. Notably, it gave me the speed advantage on would-be checks like Gourgeist and Decidueye. Jaw Lock with Strong Jaw made a great neutral attack for these guys, and just in general was a good move to force stuff to stay in and get worn down. Great for finishing things off if I didn't want to risk a Head Smash miss on something water-resistant.

VF Alpha Forme (Lanturn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Whirlpool
- Brine
- Heal Bell
Lanturn is a common pick on my Ninjask teams thanks to the Volt-Switch immunity, while simultaneously getting my own Volt-Switch. Whirlpool let me trap things, most notably opposing Lanturn, wearing them down through their Leftovers or whatever. Brine seems like a very subpar attack, but it did the job as an offensive water move and actually let me finish things off from half HP that I otherwise couldn't with Scald. Heal Bell is Heal Bell.

LMAO SCUMTANK (Skuntank) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Aftermath
Timid Nature
- Belch
- Dark Pulse
- Burning Jealousy
- Nasty Plot
Special Sweeper. Nasty Plot boosts up, Dark Pulse is obligatory Dark STAB, and Belch is a great Poison STAB... as long as you've eaten your berry. Getting worn down to Sitrus range wasn't exactly hard, and the payoff is nuts. Nice for tearing apart Miltank and other fat things that want to drink milk all day or whatever. Burning Jealousy was a nice attack to use in certain scenarios (i.e. I don't have Belch yet), and it actually let me burn a few Silvallys that were hoping to Flame Charge or Swords Dance on me. The cool part is that a lot of Dark Resists and fat stuff can't kill me instantly, so they had no choice but to try and wear me down, not knowing that Belch was in the back.

For my creative set, I choose Scumtank. Thing is nuts.

Much better week this week

The Team: :clefairy::kadabra::hitmontop::basculin::gourgeist::silvally:

The 3 gimmick sets were Gravity + Zap Cannon Kadabra (more on that later), the ever fun TechniTop with Brutal Swing (a good move) and Triple Kick (a bad move), and Silvally-Dragon with Steel Wing as a bootleg Iron Head and Self-Destruct as a bootleg Explosion. Another not required usually useless move on the team was Final Gambit on Basculin. Pretty basic balance team, nothing too special outside of the heat moves.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1157868780
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1155000470
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1154998759 (i lost but the gimmicks came out in full here)

Creative Set:
:sm/kadabra:
Ka-DAB-BRUH (Kadabra) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Counter
- Gravity
- Zap Cannon

Pretty dumb set, as I usually just end up clicking Psychic or Counter to get a kill and then die, but in theory Gravity is actually super nice for this team, as not only does it allow Kadabra to spread paralysis with an 83% Accuracy Zap Cannon, but it also makes Hitmontop's Triple Kick, Basculin's Hydro Pump, and Gourgeist's Power Whip & Will-O-Wisp over 100% Accurate, which is great as Triple Kick missing after 1 or 2 hits is a very painful experience and having assurance that great moves in Specs Hydro Pump and Will-O-Wisp will never miss is a huge boon as well.

1595826246926.png

I really enjoyed this week, definitely my favorite so far. I really enjoyed building and I managed to get wins with my team without having to back to the drawing board several times.

The Teams:
:Weezing:-:Ninjask:-:Thievul:-:Roselia:-:Miltank:-:Avalugg:
:Lanturn:-:Ninjask:-:Thievul:-:Roselia:-:Miltank:-:Avalugg:

My entered mons for the UU criteria are Weezing with Stockpile+Belch, Lanturn with Psybeam+Charge Beam, Ninjask with Final Gambit+Dual Wingbeat, and Thievul with Snarl+Burning Jealousy.

Weezing: See creative set description.

Lanturn: Psybeam is super neat on Lanturn as it can catch an unexpecting Toxicroak and OHKO it. The ev spread is to guarantee the OHKO on Toxicroak. Charge Beam was there kinda just as a filler so I had another UU move, and probably could have been switched out for Ice Beam on a real set. Something I disliked with this set was how vulnerable I was on the physical side. I felt like I really couldn't take any physical attacks even if they should have been weak.

Ninjask: I went with a HDB set for Ninjask because I wanted to utilize Final Gambit and Dual Wingbeat.

Thievul: I was debating between Specs and Unburden and I ended up just sticking with Unburden after it impressed me during testing. This mon is a legitimate threat and cleans up games soooooo well. Burning Jealousy and Snarl were the 2 UU moves on the set.

Roselia: I really wanted Spikes on this team because Thievul and Ninjask really appreciate the chip in order to secure late game clean ups. Roselia's typing fit really nicely into the team and is great check to Specs Basculin and Specs Decidueye. I really like Leaf-Storm > Giga Drain because its soo much stronger and can pick up KOs on things that think they're out of range.

Miltank: I think Miltank is one of the best pokemon in the tier. I don't really like rocks on my miltanks although I could definitely have replaced toxic for it. I feel Heal Bell is necessary because Lugg and Miltank being statusted really cripples them. I also fixed up a Static paralyzed ninjask a few times. I ran Thick Fat on this team because I would otherwise be very weak to Fire types.

Avalugg: I love Avalugg as a spinner and I feel like the 252spdef but +Def ev spread works perfectly. Avalugg sits in front of most spin blockers, and if they bring in a Specs Decidueye, since you have sturdy, you can OHKO with Avalanche which can be a really worthwile trade.
I laddered with two teams this time around, I switched Weezing out for Lanturn because I really wanted an electric immunity and I thought Lanturn had some neat tech to try out.

Creative Set:

Weezing @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stockpile
- Belch
- Flamethrower
- Rest

Stockpile Weezing is surprisingly really good and I can actually see this being a viable option, maybe changing Rest to Pain Split, or running Black Sludge instead of Chesto. I also didn't really put much thought into the EV spread, and there's probably fine tuning that can be done there. Unfortunately, Belch is definitely a gimmick and the set would have been far better off with SludgeBomb instead. You would not believe the amount of times my Chesto was knocked off or tricked away and I could never click stab.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1154935032 (weezing messing up some fools)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1154942785 (weezing messing up some fools)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1157319902 (just a really close fun game)
The first two were a team I was testing on a different alt before I started my laddering. I ended up switching up my defensive core quite a bit.

Last edited:
1595874908541.png

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Acid Spray
- Burning Jealousy

- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

Cramorant @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Gulp Missile
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpD / 144 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dive
- Dual Wingbeat

- Roost
- Whirlpool

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Sawk (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Reversal
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Work Up

Meh. The team revolved around Tspikes and me tempting to abuse them with users. You have Cramorant but water types still give trouble due to it's mid defs. Dark types are annoying too. The skuntank is just like NP but worse and Sawk doesn't really get to Reversal often due to helmet being common, work up on some doubles faking choiced is kinda cool.

Creative Set:

Cramorant @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Gulp Missile
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpD / 144 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dive
- Dual Wingbeat

- Roost
- Whirlpool

In combination with Tspikes youre suppose to get a whirlpool on something and get big chip but it rarely works because this mon has no safe switchins unless it's someones SRer but youre getting bopped on the physical side so yeah. Dive is also suppose to work with status from t-spikes and proc youre gulp missile. Meh just the Surf defog set. Served as cool Toxicroak counter.

252 SpA Life Orb Toxicroak Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 112+ SpD Cramorant: 122-146 (35.4 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Toxicroak Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 112+ SpD Cramorant: 142-168 (41.2 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Cramorant Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Toxicroak: 216-256 (70.3 - 83.3%) -- approx. 2HKO

The answer!!!!

Aawin

whole lotta vibes in the city
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
NUPL Champion
bots4.png

was on my main when I snagged this ss

This week was abt the same as last, I had decent placement but tilted at the last minute with not a lot of time left to ladder, my team was a lot better but I kept getting lucked by morons. At one point I ended up one game off of first given I played someone not at 1000 Elo

https://pokepast.es/f44972684c33a12f the team, built around the core of Garbodor and Persian-A. This team was probably one of the best that I've built, albeit its a bit weak to Alcremie and stall once Garbodor and Gourgeist are gone. Spread on Lanturn maximizes bulk while killing Toxicroak after a single layer of Spikes and a Life Orb hit, and trapping fatter shit. I originally had Heal Bell but being able to put Quagsire on a timer was appreciated in the long run.

Creative set:

garbodor.gif

Garbodor @ TR71
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fling
- Recycle
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

This is my second time submitting Garbodor as my creative mon, last time I did was in week one I want to say, but this one is actually heater. Offensive Garbodor hits surprisingly hard, and the spread it to outrun Abomasnow (everyone knows how it was spammed bc of Joey and Finch), and slap it with Gunk. TR71 is the TR in game for Leaf Storm, and makes Fling a 130 BP move. This shit does decent damage to all the ghosts in the tier, the only ones it misses out on are from full are Cofagrigus, Gourgeists, and the rare Silvally-Ghost (Colbur Golurk also eats, but if its not Colbur it is a 68.8% to OHKO). Recycle is nice so it can get its item back to keep going for decent chip on most mons unless the item gets knocked off.

Also fuck the guy who loaded stall when I was climbing to beat Mariannabelle for first

Attachments

Barely got to ladder / try different heat sets this week as I left for the cottage on wednesday and got back after the event close and so pretty bad week for me lol
1595890890911.png

First and only team I really tested :

Thwackey @ Eviolite
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance

Silvally-Fire @ Fire Memory
Naive Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Self-Destruct
- Swords Dance
- Terrain Pulse

Decidueye @ Life Orb
Ability: Long Reach
Naughty Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Low Sweep
- Shadow Ball
- Work Up

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Defog
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
EVs: 72 HP / 236 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Charge Beam
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Icy Wind

Miltank (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 132 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Milk Drink
- Toxic

Although I didn't get a chance to properly explore the potential of the sets, I think the most creative is probably:
:ss/lanturn:
Lanturn @ Assault Vest
EVs: 72 HP / 236 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Charge Beam
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Icy Wind

Got a pretty decent run actually for this week, featuring this team.

20200728_143105.jpg

Orbeetle @ Wide Lens
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 244 HP / 40 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Future Sight
- U-turn
- Hypnosis

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Beat Up
- Final Gambit
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Hasty Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Work Up
- Self-Destruct
- Thunderbolt

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb

Hitmontop (M) @ Eject Pack
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Thief
- Rapid Spin
- Triple Axel
- Close Combat

Gourgeist-Small @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Poltergeist
- Toxic
- Power Whip

It's basically just sticky webs HO, with Skunktank and Silvally acting as breakers, Gourgeist as a rapid spin blocker, Orbeetle as the webber, Hitmontop as a spinner and most importantly, Dugtrio as a suicide lead.

:sm/dugtrio:
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Beat Up
- Final Gambit
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

My heat set this week is a suicide lead that beats other hazard / screen setters. Beat up is a nice tech agaisnt weak armor Cursola, while final gambit prevents your hazards being removed or take down bulky mons it couldn't before. Was too lazy to ev it well, but it keeps hazards on my opponent's side.

bots.PNG

Ended up only having time for one session of laddering unfortunately, but here was my team:
Silvally-Poison @ Poison Memory
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flamethrower
- Grass Pledge
- Parting Shot

Arctovish @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Icicle Crash
- Giga Impact
- Rock Tomb

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- U-turn
- Iron Tail
- Swagger

Stunfisk-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Yawn
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Defog

Persian-Alola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 112 HP / 180 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Parting Shot
- Taunt

I basically tried to think of pokemon who were least affected by the restrictions of this week, who ended up being arctovish who only really needs 2 moves, toge who can conpensate for inron head with iron tail, and stunfisk who replaces eq and edge with weaker alternatives. The rest of the team is just 2 pivots and a defogger.

As for my creative set:
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Defog
This was not affected by the challenge, but its supposed to be a defogger who can check things like the silvallies well and annoy teams with knock.

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
So this week was interesting to say the least. I was disappointed, as I expected more fun, but what can you say, we’re using useless shit.
Cursola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Mirror Coat
- Shadow Ball
- Screech

Abomasnow @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Jolly Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Ice Shard
- Grassy Glide
- Icy Wind

Qwilfish @ Power Herb
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Scale Shot
- Swords Dance
- Liquidation
- Bounce

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Gourgeist-Small @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Power Whip
- Poltergeist
- Synthesis

Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flame Charge
- Multi-Attack
- Iron Head

My heat this week is the Bounce Qwilfish, who after rocks OHKOs Eldegoss. This mon would be so much better if it was poison jab, but bounce is p cool for croak I guess.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)