Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Is there any reason to run covert cloak in UU?
Due to Hurricane being the move it is you’ll see it on Gastro on occasion to haxproof it. It also blanks Ptouch Grafaiai, but that’s a relatively rare set. Overall a pretty niche item but it’s one that you can realistically justify/encounter.

Melt Gibson

planting gardens in the potholes
is a Forum Moderator
Is there any reason to run covert cloak in UU?
No, not really. Naclstack isn't common enough and it doesn't prevent the actual status dangers in the tier like Toxic, Thunder Wave, Will-O, Encore, Leech Seed, Strength Sap, and Flame/Cursed Body. There's just nothing worth preventing that it can actually stop.

Lily

it's in my blood
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
it also lets gastro actually beat most gengar (can't get poisoned or spdef dropped), aids when beating sandy shocks (spdef drops from earth power), helps with grafaiai gunk shots even without ptouch in mind. It's niche for sure but there's enough there that makes it worth running sometimes, depending on how confident you are in your ability to control hazards & how reliant you are on gastro for those mons.

it also lets gastro actually beat most gengar (can't get poisoned or spdef dropped), aids when beating sandy shocks (spdef drops from earth power), helps with grafaiai gunk shots even without ptouch in mind. It's niche for sure but there's enough there that makes it worth running sometimes, depending on how confident you are in your ability to control hazards & how reliant you are on gastro for those mons.
I'm assuming you'd run cloak with sticky hold in this case? Both for Gengar Trick and Grafaiai knock?

what are the evs on the sample tinkaton sets (252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD) for exactly? I'm new to the tier and was wondering why I should run those evs, since there's no explanation below them on tinkaton's smogon dex page. (sorry if this isn't the right place to put this kind of question, I also happen to be new to the forums)

Melt Gibson

is a Forum Moderator
what are the evs on the sample tinkaton sets (252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD) for exactly? I'm new to the tier and was wondering why I should run those evs, since there's no explanation below them on tinkaton's smogon dex page. (sorry if this isn't the right place to put this kind of question, I also happen to be new to the forums)
172+ SpD is so you can take more than one Shadow Ball from Gengar and hit it back with Knock Off

Quick reminder that you can also put the 84 EVs in attack to ensure the OHKO on Gengar after Stealth Rock with Gigaton Hammer. It was quite common a few months ago.

I checked the viability rankings for the first time in about 2 months, what happened to talon and tink being S tier? Both work well vs Salamance I think.

Melt Gibson

is a Forum Moderator
I checked the viability rankings for the first time in about 2 months, what happened to talon and tink being S tier? Both work well vs Salamance I think.
Tinkaton has the issue of being put under a lot of stress right now, there are just so many things that it needs to do and so many threats it needs to check all at once that it's worse due to how easy it can be to force it to cave in with repeated pressure.

Talon just really does not like the way the meta is trending at the moment. Tons of strong offensive Waters are running around, and Rain existing as a playstyle means that Tyranitar and Hippowdon, two things Talonflame struggles with, are more common due to having Sand Stream to disrupt Rain.

When it comes to screen offense, is there a reason why Espeon is preferred over the Prankster screen users? I imagine the ability to counteract hazard setters and whatnot gives Espeon the edge but is there anything beyond that?

When it comes to screen offense, is there a reason why Espeon is preferred over the Prankster screen users? I imagine the ability to counteract hazard setters and whatnot gives Espeon the edge but is there anything beyond that?
Magic Bounce bouncing back hazards & preventing fog from removing your screens are both very nice but the biggest thing it has going for it is Yawn as you can force a lot of very nasty lose-lose sequences.

Melt Gibson

is a Forum Moderator
Easter's post is correct, but espeon also has natural speed, a better typing, and doesn't have Grimmsnarl's crippling 4MSS or Sableye's overall mediocre stats

Melt Gibson

is a Forum Moderator
What kind of metagame changes would constitute a re-evaluation of tera’s legality? The natdex community seems to have grown to be pretty against tera as a whole, and I’m sure the OU community will be shifting that way over time. Is there a policy against a double jeopardy like this, or what sort of circumstances would allow for another tera suspect?
Take with a grain of salt, since I'm not involved with the process and therefore don't know a whole lot for certain.

Usually, there's a short double jeopardy period after something is suspected. After that, it's really just up to the respective councils (in this case, the OU and NDOU councils) to decide when they think a big enough shift or amount of change has happened in the metagame to warrant a re-test under different circumstances than the last time. For example, UU recently suspected Sandy Shocks, so once the grace period is up, it just depends on when the UU council thinks that the meta in its current state is different enough compared to when it was originally tested. There are obviously exceptions though! Somtimes there's re-tests as a response to community outcry or because something is still perceived as overpowered.

TL;DR - It'll happen whenever the OU/NatDex councils decide it's worth the time or feel like it's been "long enough", if ever.

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Dose anyone use poison types in UU? I’m just wondering and curious so I’m not alone. :blobthumbsup:
They're quite rare as we don't have many viable ones, but Gengar and Grafaiai used to see play fairly commonly, though they've become a rarer sight recently. Toxtricity and Dragalge were never properly UU by usage, but they hit hard and can be valuable for setting TSpikes. There's also Muk that's a very niche pick, but being the only real specially defensive Poison type allows it to mess with Fairy+Magnezone cores since it can really get in the way of Florges and Sylveon without being trapped by Magnet Pull. But yeah even taking rare options into account, there are only a few viable poison types. There are some mons like Quagsire or Gastrodon that like using it as their Tera type though, so if you're looking for Poison's resistances, those can be useful. Low amount of Poison types also makes Toxic Spikes much more threatening and make it a prime option on Greninja for example. Might have rambled for a bit too long, but in short, Poison types are rare because they're not especially good, but you can still make them work pretty well if you want to.

They're quite rare as we don't have many viable ones, but Gengar and Grafaiai used to see play fairly commonly, though they've become a rarer sight recently. Toxtricity and Dragalge were never properly UU by usage, but they hit hard and can be valuable for setting TSpikes. There's also Muk that's a very niche pick, but being the only real specially defensive Poison type allows it to mess with Fairy+Magnezone cores since it can really get in the way of Florges and Sylveon without being trapped by Magnet Pull. But yeah even taking rare options into account, there are only a few viable poison types. There are some mons like Quagsire or Gastrodon that like using it as their Tera type though, so if you're looking for Poison's resistances, those can be useful. Low amount of Poison types also makes Toxic Spikes much more threatening and make it a prime option on Greninja for example. Might have rambled for a bit too long, but in short, Poison types are rare because they're not especially good, but you can still make them work pretty well if you want to.
thanks man!

Dose anyone use poison types in UU? I’m just wondering and curious so I’m not alone. :blobthumbsup:
u have the common ones such as gengar, toxtricity, grafaiai but then the less commons are the tera users such as tera poison quag, wo chien, gastro, rotom-h but we do not really have many poison types

If the unthinkable happened and Garchomp dropped to UU do you think it would stay in the tier for any length of time or get booted like Bax was

Melt Gibson

is a Forum Moderator
If the unthinkable happened and Garchomp dropped to UU do you think it would stay in the tier for any length of time or get booted like Bax was
this is a really interesting and loaded question, and the real answer is that we don't know. it depends on a lot of things, like what else drops with garchomp? what new developments does the meta make between now and then? how does Garchomp interact with the most common playstyles present in the meta? what does it provide in the builder? does it restrict the builder?

there's a lot of speculation to be had here and ultimately it just ends up being in the realm of "we'll know when we know"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)