Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
I'm REALLY struggling with Tera Bug, Flash Fire, Bulk Up Ceruledges right now. It's super frustrating and I have no idea how in the hell I can beat it with my squad.

:greninja: :skeledirge: :great_tusk: :scizor: :corviknight: :gastrodon_east: (Click the team for the PokePaste link)

The major problems is that assuming it's using the normal spread of Careful, 252 HP / 200 SpDef / 56 Speed, these things happen:
-Skeledirge can't do much to it. Torch Song is nullified by Flash Fire, and Shadow Ball doesn't do enough damage. If I commit to my Fairy Tera on it, then it just clicks Bitter Blade and outregens my damage output.
-Gren does nothing to it, just because of all of the special bulk and Tera-ing out of its Fire and Ghost typing.
-Tusk does literally nothing to it outside of smacking it ONCE with a Knock Off, then all the damage being negated by Bitter Blade. Rock Slide/Stone Miss on Tusk is too unreliable either due to not enough damage vs +1/+1 Bug Ceru, or lack of accuracy.
-Scizor dies. When Scizor comes in on the +1 Bug Ceruledge, Technician boosted Aerial Ace (which used to be Thief for the Dengo matchup) doesn't OHKO it. (67.2 - 79% vs +1/+1 Ceru)
-Corvi can't wall it because of Bitter Blade.
-Gastro can't touch it because of its bulk, and it just sets up on Gastro.

I'm seriously at a loss here. This is one of the few only sets that my team can't handle at all.
Wrong thread, this is the UU simple questions simple answers thread.

Who chooses the songs for the metagame threads? I've been finding for that HandClap song for years and want to thank them. I also suprisingly liked Atomic Karate.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Yea they're chosen by TLs ultimately. I'm greedy af so it's usually me that picks them >< but I usually ask the entire uu council and see what they think before ignoring their feedback and going with my own choice anyway

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hmm how do you guys beat Polteageist?
Been using :toedscruel: :slowking: :gengar: :tinkaton: :gallade: :iron jugulis: apparently built by Mimilucha and had a v tough time if they didn’t try to set up on King
https://pokepast.es/63130150790d5b4c
You could opt for a more defensive spread on Tinkaton which would allow you to handle any +2 moves coming for Polteageist (except the rare Tera Fire Tera Blast). Something like this should work :

Tinkaton @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Ghost / Filler
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 148 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Gigaton Hammer
- Knock Off

Bringing some priorities to your team could be useful too.

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Would assault vest armarouge be a viable option work on a team?
I would not recommend it. Armarouge is mainly used as an offensive threat whi can threaten a lot of things thanks to its great special attack and massive coverage (Fire + Psychic + Grass/Fighting). While you can find some variants with bulk alongside CM + Weak Armor + defensive Tera (like Water), Armarouge's weakness to Stealth Rock and overall meh defensive typing doesn't allow it to be a good user of the Assault Vest.

Moutemoute

Error 404
Apart from the obvious Electric resist, what does Tera Grass accomplish on DD Gyarados?
You mentionned one of the reason, the other is the ability to bypass Quagsire with a Grass-type Tera Blast. Quagsire is a great check to Gyarados which can't be beaten if you're not using this set or a Taunt / Substitute variant. Overall Tera Grass + Tera Blast allows Gyarados to mess around the opponent by switching Gyarados typing while also allowing it to hit for a lot of damages Water-types which can be annoying sometimes. However, since this set rely a lot on Tera, it's not the most common one since Taunt and Substitutes variants (alongside Leftovers) are also great to pressure Water-types / Quagsire.

Welp Quaquaval dropped to UU, don't see it lasting due to the lack of defensive counterplay so have fun abusing it before it is UUBL!

Leaves is probably a really cool addition though!

Welp Quaquaval dropped to UU, don't see it lasting due to the lack of defensive counterplay so have fun abusing it before it is UUBL!

Leaves is probably a really cool addition though!
We have a few options like Pelipper, gyarados, slobro, iron leaves (kind of) and quagsire, so it might not be too much to handle. Quaq's set diversity will definitely be an issue though. You can prepare for SD or bulk up and then it just choice band u-turns on you.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
A couple questions regarding tournaments:

1) Is the point system released for this year's UU masters yet (if so where is it, if not, is it going to be similar to last year?)
2) Can we use roughly the same circuit schedule from last year?
3) Does anyone know what the plans for the team tournaments are this year (what are they and when will they be)?
4) Does anyone know which tiers are going to be in classic this year?

Thank you!

As someone who doesn't really follow tournaments but enjoys watching quality games, is there a thread that features tournament highlights like people's favorite games, best plays, chokes, unique picks that somehow worked, luckiest/unluckiest games, etc.? If not, can you guys make one?

Melt Gibson

planting gardens in the potholes
is a Forum Moderator
As someone who doesn't really follow tournaments but enjoys watching quality games, is there a thread that features tournament highlights like people's favorite games, best plays, chokes, unique picks that somehow worked, luckiest/unluckiest games, etc.? If not, can you guys make one?
This does not exist! However, at least for UUPL and UUFPL, there are forum threads solely dedicated to keeping track of all of the replays and usage stats (located here for UUPL and here for UUFPL) and they are all publicly available.

Lily

is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Since Lily released the circuit, I was wondering what is UU Homefield Advantage?
It's a best of 3 tournament similar to Open or Masters, but instead of being all SV, you'll choose the UU generation you like best in your signup. When you play your opponent, you'll play SV as the first game, and then in the next game you play the loser's chosen tier, and if g3 is applicable you play the winner's chosen tier. Not sure which gens will be available yet; will keep y'all posted on that. Lemme know if there are any other questions!

Lily

UU Leader
A couple questions regarding tournaments:

1) Is the point system released for this year's UU masters yet (if so where is it, if not, is it going to be similar to last year?)
2) Can we use roughly the same circuit schedule from last year?
3) Does anyone know what the plans for the team tournaments are this year (what are they and when will they be)?
4) Does anyone know which tiers are going to be in classic this year?

Thank you!
Sorry I missed this!

1) It isn't released just yet but it's the same as last year's.
2) This has been released now!
3) This is also being discussed!
4) Likely the same as last year but with SS added, depends on how Homefield Advantage develops, though!

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask for teambuilding advice. I'm fairly new to UU and basically competitive pokemon in general, so I'm a bit stumped in terms of teambuilding.

Anyway, I really feel like I need some form of hazard removal in my team but I'm not sure which mon i should either replace or repurpose for that role, so uhh

https://pokepast.es/d62c3157594aab66

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask for teambuilding advice. I'm fairly new to UU and basically competitive pokemon in general, so I'm a bit stumped in terms of teambuilding.

Anyway, I really feel like I need some form of hazard removal in my team but I'm not sure which mon i should either replace or repurpose for that role, so uhh

https://pokepast.es/d62c3157594aab66
There isn't a dedicated thread for teambuilding advice since it'd go pretty slowly. I'd recommend joining the discord server (click for link) as I think it's the best place to receive feedback for your teams. The UU room on PS also has people willing to help.

As for hazard removal, I'd say you can change the Talonflame to a bulkier spread and replace either Taunt or U-Turn with Defog. It generally has some nice defensive utility and already works rather well on this team. It'd look something like this:

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

There isn't a dedicated thread for teambuilding advice since it'd go pretty slowly. I'd recommend joining the discord server (click for link) as I think it's the best place to receive feedback for your teams. The UU room on PS also has people willing to help.

As for hazard removal, I'd say you can change the Talonflame to a bulkier spread and replace either Taunt or U-Turn with Defog. It generally has some nice defensive utility and already works rather well on this team. It'd look something like this:

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
Thank you! I'll be sure to do that! I really appreciate the help, UU has been fun to play and I feel like starting on this tier was a good idea as an introduction to competitive pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)