Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I haven't seen it asked but sorry if it has: does Terapagos auto waste your Tera? or is it a Primal Groudon situation where you can still mega another pokemon? Because if I understood it correctly, Terapagos automatically turns Tera once it switches in
Terastal form Terapagos is just an in-battle form change that happens automatically and doesn’t consume a resource. Terapagos’ Stellar form, however, does require you to use your Terastalization in order to access it.

I think people are hipimg stellar tera type too much. Yeah it looks decent on contrary mons, but it still feels kinda mid, one of the great benefits of tera is changing your type to gain some longevity while if possible improving you offensive. Stellar in some cases might add some offensive advantages (serperior), but serperior would still get 1 shot by heatran fire moves or corv brave bird for example... So it would still need a sub/glare set... and even then its speed isnt great in this meta so its very susceptible to rk...

I think people are hipimg stellar tera type too much. Yeah it looks decent on contrary mons, but it still feels kinda mid, one of the great benefits of tera is changing your type to gain some longevity while if possible improving you offensive. Stellar in some cases might add some offensive advantages (serperior), but serperior would still get 1 shot by heatran fire moves or corv brave bird for example... So it would still need a sub/glare set... and even then its speed isnt great in this meta so its very susceptible to rk...
I think Stellar type is good in the sense that if you have a pokemon who is needed to perform revenge kill on a key target (i.e. Kingambit) you no longer have to guess. If you have a good base typing that can resists Dark (i.e. Valiant), you can stellar tera and click Tera Blast without having to guess what Tera will the Kingambit tera into and can instantly KO it. Before you might click CC and fail to KO the Kingambit due to it Tera Flying (which is very common)

It sounds like Zygarde-Complete all over again…..
justice for zygarde, got conned out of what would've been an amazing metagame for him

so this isn't a one-liner, it's kinda disappointing the aura trio didn't make it in; I personally think it's because zygarde with power construct would have been insane when paired with revival blessing.

Considering that Serperior is very likely to get banned as well due to Stellar Tera, I feel like we're gonna need to have clear proof of that mechanic being completely unhealthy for the meta, otherwise the Council will probably just resort to quickbanning both mons and call it a day. I guess we're gonna have to wait and see how good that Tera actually is.
Question for those on the Council or to whom it may concern, why is Stellar Terastallization being considered separate from Terastallization when the game considers the former a part of the latter mechanic?

And as such, if Stellar Tera is banned, why is this not a Complex Ban that opens up the can of worms that banning individual Tera types is?

Is this seriously being considered a separate mechanic from Tera or are people just speculating?

tidy up cinccino baby! it's no maushold in terms of raw stab power, but it's got some pretty solid coverage, and loaded dice lets it almost run technician and skill link at the same time. it even gets knock off to deal with gholdengo—a 97.5 power dark move off of base 95 attack at +1 is substantially better than maushold's 90-power dark move off of base 75 attack at +1
Also worth noting that Cinccino has Thief on Serebii listings (and as a past TM I assume it's reasonable it got it again), which while useless for its effect most of the time (due to not wanting to lose Loaded Dice and most steal-able items not being comparable benefit), does get the Technician Boost, notably keeping a 2HKO into Defensive Gholdengo without its Leftovers at +1, and at +0 can 2HKO through an Itemless Ghold (such as a popped-Balloon). Depending on your desire for utility vs "Screw Gholdengo in particular" it might warrant consideration as your Dark move on it as weird Hazard control.

Maushold probably still better at the job overall since Cinccino falls 1 point short of tying Booster Valiant at +1 to avert a common OU revenge kill.

Question for those on the Council or to whom it may concern, why is Stellar Terastallization being considered separate from Terastallization when the game considers the former a part of the latter mechanic?

And as such, if Stellar Tera is banned, why is this not a Complex Ban that opens up the can of worms that banning individual Tera types is?

Is this seriously being considered a separate mechanic from Tera or are people just speculating?
There's no discussion on Tera Stellar yet from any council members as of yet as far as I'm aware (it sounds a bit shit anyway tbh). However, saying "you cannot use Tera Stellar" isn't a complex ban. A complex ban would be something like "you cannot use baton pass to pass stat boosts" or "you cannot have a combination of Swift Swim + Drizzle"

There's no discussion on Tera Stellar yet from any council members as of yet as far as I'm aware (it sounds a bit shit anyway tbh). However, saying "you cannot use Tera Stellar" isn't a complex ban. A complex ban would be something like "you cannot use baton pass to pass stat boosts" or "you cannot have a combination of Swift Swim + Drizzle"
This doesn't address the fact that Gigantimax forms were banned alongside Dynamax due to being the same mechanic, while discussions (not from the Council in fairness, but from a large portion of the community) seem to want Stellar Tera to be treated as its own thing as to not endanger the mechanic as a whole.

How good it is aside, shouldn't precedence point towards the Stellar Tera type being just one of the many Tera types the mechanic of Terastallization allows you to access?

This doesn't address the fact that Gigantimax forms were banned alongside Dynamax due to being the same mechanic, while discussions (not from the Council in fairness, but from a large portion of the community) seem to want Stellar Tera to be treated as its own thing as to not endanger the mechanic as a whole.

How good it is aside, shouldn't precedence point towards the Stellar Tera type being just one of the many Tera types the mechanic of Terastallization allows you to access?
I love tiering policy dilemmas so I think I could address this.

Since the 18 types are some of the most fundamental mechanics of Pokémon, a lot of people generally view the type-based mechanics associated with them (Hidden Power, Gems, Z-Moves, type-boosting items, Tera) as equal and and a singular element even though not all types are created equally in strengths and weaknesses. In other words, you can't ban Normal Gem or Hidden Power Fire alone without banning all Gems or all Hidden Powers since they are seen as one element, not eighteen. However some may argue that banning a specific type of a typed-based mechanic isn't actually too "complex" of a ban. For example, if Flying Gem Acrobatics is overpowered, then there may be a case for Flying Gem (or Acrobatics) to be banned without banning all Gems. So far there is no official verdict on type-based mechanics being considered as one element or eighteen different elements, although the Gem ban in BW may provide some insight?

Regardless if type-based mechanics are seen as singular or eighteen, if a mechanic differs in more than just typing, then it should be viewed as a separate entity. Think Legend Plate or Expert Belt vs the normal Plates/type-boosting items. If you can tier the Legend Plate or Expert Belt separate from the normal plates, then you can tier the Stellar type separate from normal Terastallziton. This is also why Max Moves should be treated differently than Z-Moves or Hidden Power in hacked metagames. Max Moves aren't just the same mechanic repackaged in different types due to their different secondary effects. I think a case can be made for Gigantamax and Dynamax to be treated as separate, but since both are extremely overpowered, it doesn't matter whether they are treated as one or two; they are still staying banned.

The only reason why the Stellar type is being combined with standard Tera is because it is the only one outlier out of the whole mechanic. Imagine a scenario where the item mechanic only consists of Plates and Expert Belt. If you think it is ridiculous to ban the entire item slot because Expert Belt is overpowered, the same logic should apply to Tera. If there are 10 additional kinds of Terastallization, then then it would be viewed more similarly to items or Z-Moves.

The Stellar type exists outside the type chart since it only works when Terastallized and you don't even change your defensive interactions, so it should be viewed as its own mechanic.

When will Indigo Disk be implemented on Showdown? Also, are all the box legendaries starting in Ubers?
This is asked on every page- we don't have an estimated implementation time and personally I think it shouldn't be until all things are understood so that we don't react and ban something only to learn the mechanics are wrong.

But they could go ahead and add the returning pokemon back sooner for us to play with even if moves and stellar are missing. Just so people are less anxious :)

With the new information that Stellar terapagos gets permanent stab on everything.

What’s gonna be the best way to run it. I’d imagine either 2 attack with calm mind rapid spin/ rock polish or forgo one of the boosting moves for more coverage.

I think ev spread wise you’d want to run Max HP along with enough speed to break certain speed tiers at plus 1 or plus 2 with the rest in special attack

Where's this info from
It’s in the orange island mechanic thread
Hey there,
A few posts in the last couple of pages have been more of a "discussion". Remember this is a Questions-Answers thread. If you want to discuss competitive aspects while the metagame discussion thread remains closed you can do so in other places such as the OverUsed room on PS! or the OverUsed discord.
understood sorry if my post was too discussion heavy, I tried to word it in a way where it was more just confirmation of my own logic

With the new information that Stellar terapagos gets permanent stab on everything.

What’s gonna be the best way to run it. I’d imagine either 2 attack with calm mind rapid spin/ rock polish or forgo one of the boosting moves for more coverage.

I think ev spread wise you’d want to run Max HP along with enough speed to break certain speed tiers at plus 1 or plus 2 with the rest in special attack
Completely false. You get a singular STAB boost on each move once with the Stellar tera type; meaning after your first use of any move in your moveslot, the damage will be 1.5x for the first attack then you will gain no boost on subsequent uses.

Terapagos @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Tera Shift
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 248 HP / 24 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
-Tera Starstorm
-Stored Power/Ice Beam/Rest
-Calm Mind
-Rock Polish

After 1 Rock Polish you outspeed +1 Maushold. If you want to be even faster you'll need a Timid Nature with 224 Spe to beat +1 Adamant Dragapult, 220 Spe to outspeed +1 Iron Boulder, 216 Spe to beat +1 Meowscarada, 208 Spe will outpace +1 Greninja, 188 Spe will beat +1 Roaring Moon, 176 Spe to beat +1 Iron Valiant, or 140 Spe to beat +1 Maushold. SpA EVs could potentially be moved to Def to help against priority and increase bulk.

Set up in Terastal form to utilize Tera Shell and then Terastalize into Stellar Form to either continue setting up with increased bulk or begin attacking with your 120 BP unresisted Tera boosted STAB move (so 240 BP. Stellar boosted Stored Power is the only move that will ever outdamage Tera Starstorm but only does so after like 5 boosts (4 boosts = 180 BP * 1.2 from Stellar = 216 BP,) without SE modifiers though it is still pretty usable after 2 just to conserve Starstorm PP (2 boost + stellar = 120 BP.) Ice Beam is probably the other best coverage move as I think its the most common 4x weakness in the tier. Rest is also an option as you lack recovery. Leftovers is the item of choice because of that lack of recovery, but lum Berry will help in the face of paralysis/toxic and you can use it wtih rest if you dont need it before. Maybe chesto if you really want the rest reload.

This might not be the set to do it, but this guy is getting banned for sure. Because Tera Starstorm retains Stellar typing after Terastalization it hits everything neutrally except Tera'd mons which it hits super effectively and after 1 RP you don't need to worry about Stellar Tera Blast being used on you. So it's sig move destroys the type chart while also completely negating and actually punishing the defensive aspects of terastalization. On top of that it gets a better multiscale before mega evolving into a 160/110/110 Behemoth. The whole permanent stellar Boost on coverage moves is actually mostly meaningless compared to the other things Terapagos has going for it.

Last edited:
Do we know all the effects of Tera Stellar? If so can someone make a list pls?
Tera stellar: 1.2x boost to non-stab moves, 2x boost to stab moves, only once per type per battle (aka, after the first use of a move of each type, non stab moves get no boosts n' stab moves get the regular 1.5x boost). Base type of stellar tera'd mon, for defensive purposes, doesn't change
Terablast stellar:100bp non-stab (~120bp the first time of use), se against tera'd mons, neutral against all others, always drops attack n' spa.
Terapagos-stellar:2x boost to normal type moves (e.g.double edge), 1.2x boost to all other moves (tera starstorm including).the boost is permanent. Tera starstorm is neutral against targets, se against tera'd mons. Normal type remains for terapagos, as far as defensive attribute is concerned, after tera stellar
Set that might brake terapagos-stellar: rest,calm mind, tera starstorm,rapid spin (for utility), item:leftovers

Last edited:
If Terapagos-Stellar is found to be broken and is banned, what happens to regular Terapagos? Would it get banned too, or would there be a clause saying it can't Terastalize, which was the way Mega Evolutions were handled?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)