Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

why is blissey still OU even after bloodmoon ursaluna qnd gliscor have been banned?
Because of usage. Showdown works with usage rates; if people use, say, Sunkern enough in OU, it'll rise to OU. This doesn't mean Sunkern is viable at all, but people used it enough for it to go to OU.

Blissey got to OU by usage, and it seems people are using it enough to do so for two months straight; it's still a good special wall, even after the Toxic loss and recover nerf. People found use in it, I guess.

Tldr; blissey was used enough, OU doesn't nessecarily mean viability, see gen 4 OU dusknoir

What's the current situation of Shed Tail, after discovering that Sceptile learns it?

Cyclizar had a fast Shed Tail and, thanks to Regenerator, it could get at least one more.
Orthworm couldn't regenerate HPs (reliably), but it provided a slow Shed Tail so you could have an advantageous momentum to get your mon on the field.

Sceptile can't regenerate and it's fast, so you don't have those advantages.

Could there be a case in which the dragon and the worm get banned in order to test that move again to see if it's not broken on the gecko?

It's just for the sake of curiousity
Shed tail allowing a free turn for setting up anything is just bad.

Shed Tail was the problem, that's why Shed Tail was banned, and not Orthworm and Cyclizar.

Anyone think eterrain teams might make a small comeback? Raging bolt gets rising voltage according to bulbapedia, boulder stops mr gouging fire with its burn protect shenanigans and :iron valiant: and :iron moth: still exist.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
Assuming Stellar ends up being broken, would banning exclusively Stellar form be on the table as a form ban, or would it be considered a complex ban since it’s technically telling Terapagos not to press the universal Terastalize button?
Considering that Serperior is very likely to get banned as well due to Stellar Tera, I feel like we're gonna need to have clear proof of that mechanic being completely unhealthy for the meta, otherwise the Council will probably just resort to quickbanning both mons and call it a day. I guess we're gonna have to wait and see how good that Tera actually is.

How viable would Vaccum Wave Empoleon set be to bait Kingambit? So the usual Defensive Empoleon with Tera Ghost and replace Yawn / Stealth Rocks with Vacuum Wave. Maybe to KO a weakened Gambit expecting a free turn to setup.

0 SpA Empoleon Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 148-176 (43.4 - 51.6%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO

IDK just an idea that popped up.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
How viable would Vaccum Wave Empoleon set be to bait Kingambit? So the usual Defensive Empoleon with Tera Ghost and replace Yawn / Stealth Rocks with Vacuum Wave. Maybe to KO a weakened Gambit expecting a free turn to setup.

0 SpA Empoleon Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 148-176 (43.4 - 51.6%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO

IDK just an idea that popped up.
You can try it if you want, kingambit does run HP evs a lot, and you're cutting into your own bulk, so it doesn't sound that effective

Do you guys think Archaludon is OU material? To me it looks really good and can punish a lot of physical attackers running around. It also gets stealth rocks and roar to further mess with physical attackers as well. I think Archaludon will be a top dog potentially in the OU meta as it seems like its gonna be really good into a lot of physical attackers, especially the already solid mons that got Triple Axel (Weavile, Meowscarada, Quaquaval.)

Do you guys think Archaludon is OU material? To me it looks really good and can punish a lot of physical attackers running around. It also gets stealth rocks and roar to further mess with physical attackers as well. I think Archaludon will be a top dog potentially in the OU meta as it seems like its gonna be really good into a lot of physical attackers, especially the already solid mons that got Triple Axel (Weavile, Meowscarada, Quaquaval.)
Top dog is a bit of a stretch, and its debatable to say its better than Goodra-H (an already fringe pick) considering its SpDef is significantly worse, affecting key matchups into the likes of Serperior, Zapdos, etc. Nonetheless, I still do think it will be a fun pick due to its great movepool and abilities. Sets like Eject Pack Sturdy to set up rocks and pivot out, ID + BP to check the likes of gambit and act as a potent wincon, Specs on Rain, and a general defensive set with moves like Stealth Rock, Roar, and Thunder Wave all seem like they will have a place on at least a few teams. As you mentioned, Stamina is quite strong into the likes of Weavile and Meowscarada, though it will hate switching into Knock Off, losing its lifeline in Leftovers / Boots. I think it could carve out a niche in the tier, espicially after the opening weeks when some of the broken new mons get booted out (hard to identify which mons those actually are w/o playing any games).

Considering that Serperior is very likely to get banned as well due to Stellar Tera, I feel like we're gonna need to have clear proof of that mechanic being completely unhealthy for the meta, otherwise the Council will probably just resort to quickbanning both mons and call it a day. I guess we're gonna have to wait and see how good that Tera actually is.
Stellar Tera? Serperior seems like a very sub-par user of it since the move just boosts a given Type 1 time for 1 move use, which means Serperior's MO of utility to spam Leaf Storm to win gets very little out of it (and it's pure offense without anything like type-flipping to survive a would-be KO). The Contrary inversion of the Stellar Tera Blast boosts sounds good in theory but it's for a weaker hit giving a lesser boost on something that's Pure Normal vs a non-Tera target.

If Serp ends up unhealthy I'd expect it to be from regular Tera, whether Tera Blast for coverage or even Tera Grass to brute force Leaf Storm harder.

Stellar Tera? Serperior seems like a very sub-par user of it since the move just boosts a given Type 1 time for 1 move use, which means Serperior's MO of utility to spam Leaf Storm to win gets very little out of it (and it's pure offense without anything like type-flipping to survive a would-be KO). The Contrary inversion of the Stellar Tera Blast boosts sounds good in theory but it's for a weaker hit giving a lesser boost on something that's Pure Normal vs a non-Tera target.

If Serp ends up unhealthy I'd expect it to be from regular Tera, whether Tera Blast for coverage or even Tera Grass to brute force Leaf Storm harder.
Serp doesn't really care about the boost from Tera IMO. What it does like is Tera Blast having neutral coverage on everything (including the likes of Heatran and Corviknight) AND preserving its Leaf Storm PP so it can play a bit more recklessly. Doing something like Leaf Storming -> Spamming Stella Tera Blast vs mons like Heatran to make your self stronger and wear them down seems like a legitimate strategy to me, especially on a set like Substitute Glare, which can fish for misses / paralysis and is passively recovering health. IMO this is much better than any other Tera Blast type it could use, as it will not have any noticable holes into anything (i.e. Tera Fire loses to Heatran, Tera Ground loses to Corv, etc.)

Serp doesn't really care about the boost from Tera IMO. What it does like is Tera Blast having neutral coverage on everything (including the likes of Heatran and Corviknight) AND preserving its Leaf Storm PP so it can play a bit more recklessly. Doing something like Leaf Storming -> Spamming Stella Tera Blast vs mons like Heatran to make your self stronger and wear them down seems like a legitimate strategy to me, especially on a set like Substitute Glare, which can fish for misses / paralysis and is passively recovering health.
Okay that was something I wasn't clear on: If Stellar Blast into non-Tera Targets became True Neutral or remained Normal-Type damage. If it's pure Neutral I could see more concern with that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)