Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I've been out of the OU loop for a while. What are good pokemon / shells for a more punish-based playstyle? I find I prefer to play defensive and set the opponent up to make their own mistakes, then taking that inch and stretching it as far as I possibly can... I don't think you can really do something like that in pokemon, though, you need to choose between sustainable defense and heavily punishing offense, cant be greedy and have both :c
You sound like you'd enjoy this set

Toxapex @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Acid Spray
- Infestation

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
When is home released on Showdown?

Thanks
"According to the live stream on The Official Pokemon YouTube Channel, players can access Pokemon Scarlet & Violet using HOME early in 2023. However, as we get closer to summer some are speculating that the HOME release of Scarlet & Violet could come in June or July 2023."

In other words, we don't know / the Showdown devs will get to it as soon as it's released (same day / same week) [I'm guessing]

Since Pokémon home is releasing and you will be able to trade from gen 9 to swsh and bdsp, will there be like a swsh and bdsp tradebacks like gen 1?
(i think that is how it works, correct me if i am wrong)

Last edited:
Why are pre-evolutions considered when discussing move bans? Personally I'd rather use Basculegion and Houndstone without Last Respects than Basculin with it. Would the same logic apply if Azumarill and Iron Valiant learned a 300bp fairy move but it wasn't broken on Azurill? It feels like banning the move is healthier for the metagame than the offending mons in this case.

Why are pre-evolutions considered when discussing move bans? Personally I'd rather use Basculegion and Houndstone without Last Respects than Basculin with it. Would the same logic apply if Azumarill and Iron Valiant learned a 300bp fairy move but it wasn't broken on Azurill? It feels like banning the move is healthier for the metagame than the offending mons in this case.
To ban a move over the mons the move has to prove to be unhealthy to the point being busted not matter how sub optimal the user is with it. The best example is the Ape and rage fist, yeah, Rage fist is what makes Annihilape too strong, however, people used Eviolite Primeape after its evolution ban and it simply wan't the same, could still work under certain conditions but is performance was so much worse than it isn't even UU. So, since it was proven that the sum of Annihilape's traits plus rage fist is OP and not rage fist itself then the Pokemon is still banned over the move and it is actually healthier not for the tier itself but for lower tiers since Primeape doesn't lose an important part of its set so OU can use a nerfed uber pokemon.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It goes to the argument that the move itself isn't broken but the mon in combo with the move is. Prior to the Shed Tail ban there was a popular consensus that Orthworm wasn't problematic / broken. After the meta changing and evolving the realization was that Orthworm + Shed Tail is still a problem but mainly it's ability to pass in free substitutes (slow subs).

It's just how Smogon operates. They focus on the mons first and when they realize that a move / ability is the problem then you consider bringing the mon back and banning the move / ability.

To ban a move over the mons the move has to prove to be unhealthy to the point being busted not matter how sub optimal the user is with it. The best example is the Ape and rage fist, yeah, Rage fist is what makes Annihilape too strong, however, people used Eviolite Primeape after its evolution ban and it simply wan't the same, could still work under certain conditions but is performance was so much worse than it isn't even UU. So, since it was proven that the sum of Annihilape's traits plus rage fist is OP and not rage fist itself then the Pokemon is still banned over the move and it is actually healthier not for the tier itself but for lower tiers since Primeape doesn't lose an important part of its set so OU can use a nerfed uber pokemon.
primeape is booty tho. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out rage fist is the problem and not Annihilape. Annihilape would not be banned if it weren’t for Rage Fist. Same logic as Houndstone not being banned if it werent for Last Respects.

primeape is booty tho. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out rage fist is the problem and not Annihilape. Annihilape would not be banned if it weren’t for Rage Fist. Same logic as Houndstone not being banned if it werent for Last Respects.
Yes, but Primeape isn't uber thanks to rage fist, it is RU and is only B rank there, so why ban the move over the mon when the move itself isn't enough to make a mon uber? But well, if rage fist suddenly became a TM and like 3 mons with it became uber material while other 5 aren't great then it might be worth to ban the move in that case.

Yes, but Primeape isn't uber thanks to rage fist, it is RU and is only B rank there, so why ban the move over the mon when the move itself isn't enough to make a mon uber? But well, if rage fist suddenly became a TM and like 3 mons with it became uber material while other 5 aren't great then it might be worth to ban the move in that case.
Thats how bad primeape is as a pokemon lol.

Thats how bad primeape is as a pokemon lol.
Compare Arena Trap/Shadow Tag on Diglett/Gothita. These two mons were still used in previous generations despite being pre-evolutions because these abilities are that good. Broken moves/abilities absolutely can break bad pokémon.

EDIT: will not respond further regardless of feelings on matter because this is not a debate thread.

Aside from Baxcalibur, what are the mons who benefit the most about Spikes pressure?
I would presume any fast Mons without a lot of Boosting/lower initial power to be good beneficiaries, since it reduces the number of options that can eat a hit and retaliate against them hard to prevent a Sweep/Clean up. So stuff that comes to mind there is Meowscarada, Booster Valiant/Moon, Greninja, Dragapult, etc.

Where can someone watch the Smogon World Cup / Other Tournament replays? SPL has a dedicated Replay thread but that's the only one I can find

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Where can someone watch the Smogon World Cup / Other Tournament replays? SPL has a dedicated Replay thread but that's the only one I can find
Do you mean this one?

-----

home.JPG

What is the general interpretation of this statement about transfer moves, assuming that when Home drops this is still the case? As I understand it, the part that says "you will be able to change" implies that it is optional which means we'll still get that bloody toxic spam again. If it was a forced change, it would have said something along the line of "any move a pokemon knows that isn't from the Switch games will be replaced'. So, how do people interpret this statement?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Is Home connected to the damn game yet? If not, how many hours is it from the moment of whoever answers this question?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)