SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet: The Teal Mask

Is it a problem that I wasn’t a fan of Carmine and Kieran they were kinda…annoying???

Ogerpon rejecting Kieran then making me fight her four times, makes me want to throw her off a cliff

I figured they would just rebuild the monument exactly as it was, but I still laughed when they even had the workers say "we completely recreated the exact scratches and blemishes there before"

a million pokedollars for a restored asset, an emote and a flashy jinbei you got me good, Pokemon. I think this entire joke is why the Gliteratti are around to help offset the costs a little

My theory about DLC2 story:

so this story was an inversion of the classic momotaro story
where he is born from a peach and with the help of the loyal 3 defeat the ogre
the loyal 3 are all classified as the "retainer" pokemon, which means they serve under something else
we also know according to their dex entries that they were granted power by another entity
in one picture, you can see the corner of something and that asset is saved in the files (looks kinda like glimmora to me)
so the "peach" pokemon is actually the one supplying the toxic chains that boost their power
I think kieran, now feeling betrayed by you and ogrepon, is going to train really hard and become blueberry champion
we know his dipplin evolves into his ace because eviolite works, and that there are 2 snakes inside
I think it will evolve into something with a sweet/sour theme, which illustrates the role reversal of kieran (sweet -> sour) and carmine (sour -> sweet)
I think he will lose to you after becoming champion, and feel even more down
and turn to the momotaro/peach evil pokemon for power
(something was iffy about the way he magically resurrected the loyal 3, so there might be a tie there with his ancestry)
he will be granted a toxic chain and will use it to tie up the hair thats always in his eyes
but also part of the momotaro story is that momotaro and the loyal 3 raid the ogre's treasure house
we know that at the end of the DLC, we return to area zero
so I think with the help of kieran, the peach pokemon is going to try to raid "the treasure of area zero" aka terastal power
hence the dlc name
terapagos could be the protector of terastal power, and like you were forced to use ogrepon against carmine,
you might be forced to use terapagos against the peach
Please ignore the formatting, I copied it from a monologue on Discord. :tymp:
You see him tie up his hair in the ending scene IIRC

Did I miss some content ? Because I found this DLC ... empty ?
I finish the main quest in two or three hours ?
Plus less than 1 hour to catch the Loyal 3
Maybe 1 hour for Ursaking BM
And Less than 1 hour to catch the new Dipplin/Ghost Tea Pokemon and evolve it ?
And of course I transfer the living Pokedex to get the stamp
Should I forget something to do ? I've beaten two strong trainers with strange masks

Ogerpon's backstory is interesting in how it's treated completely differently in the past compared to the present.

According to Grandpa's story of truths, the Kitakami ancestors feared Ogerpon and the man for looking different from them, but when they wear masks to hide their faces, then everyone is fine with them despite nobody ever seeing them before and there being 2 people that just came to Kitakami and got drove out, and in the end the mask maker was called a heretic for being pro-Ogerpon.
1694978481720.png
1694978494638.png

Meanwhile in the present day, Carmine can identify the masked Ogerpon as an outsider immediately, and the present villagers are all fine with the true story and think Ogerpon is adorable, just like the out-of-universe reaction to it. I guess the most straightfoward idea is that people were just more intolerant and unaware back then, but I wonder if Ogerpon wished it looked less scary or if the villagers were turned against it somehow, though the Loyal Three also were said to come from outside of Kitakami because of the masks and they were fine with them. Also Poltchageist is going around draining life force and Kitakami's response is just to forbid anyone from flavouring things with matcha.

Another thing is that the second signboard hints at Ogerpon's masks changing its cudgel's type and how the Loyal Three took away its masks to weaken it, but according to its backstory it just cudgeled the three with the Teal Mask alone and the other masks ended up being stored at Kitakami Hall so the villagers probably never even saw them being used. This could probably just be part of the myth changing based on the appearance of the masks, but it's also the only mention of the teal mask in the story, which mentions that it can bring life back into withered greenery. This is a rare benevolent take on the ogre's power which is something I wouldn't expect from villagers who only ever saw it at its worst. It's also the most accurate signboard too, since it describes Ogerpon's powers and how the Loyal Three stole its masks, which is all true compared to the other signs twisting the original story and a random story about Ogerpon stealing souls.

To be strictly fair to the specific time frame of post-rampage attitudes, even if it is unfair, they did see an ogre "go crazy", rampage into a festival of people and explicitly kill 3 beloved pokemon

This kind of reminds me, actually...did anyone else think that Ogrepon we interact with might be a sort of ghost/zombie situation? It was one of the first things that came to mind when it suddenly showed up. Like, Kieren had gone to that outlook alone for years but never saw it. Meanwhile the grandfather was surprised to hear it had been sighted at all.
Long lived Pokemon are nothing new for the series, but in the same DLC that had 3 explicitly 100% dead Pokemon come back to life (seemingly via Kieran) and then the later part of the DLC having the area where the man laid the crystals (effectively on top of the area ogrepon lives) mentioning sometimes seeing the souls of the dead...

Problems against this of course being:
-The revival of the Loyal 3 was significantly more flashy & ominous
-Kieren's downward spiral & more toxic personality has an implication of an outside force (see again: the more elaborate revival of the loyal 3) that only came into effect after the festival
-No real reason given for why Ogrepon would "come back alive" in relation to a near by battle (it doesn't seem especially hyped for it, inherently and seemed to avoid conflict at the festival)
-Occam's Razor: yeah sometimes pokemon just live a long time. Literally this DLC has an ancient Ursaluna still around and kicking. It's like the different attitudes of past & present, the simplest explanation is the right one and just because there's weird magic wish granting crystals and peaches going on doesn't mean they're involved in everything.

but never the less it came to mind when I first saw it show up.

Almost makes me wonder whether the Loyal Three were playing with the local children back then while biding time and then Ogerpon appeared with the Teal Mask, maybe a missing poster with her trainer's picture on it, and a cudgel. The Loyal Three laugh over their stolen masks, possibly imply they killed Ogerpon's trainer when Ogerpon interrogates them, and then Ogerpon gets enraged and avenges her trainer by beating up and mortally wounding the Loyal Three. The local children cry over losing "perfectly friendly visitors", the Loyal Three are interred as heroes, and Ogerpon sobs over the children's bad reaction to her and leaves for home again.

...The Loyal Three at least remain loyal to each other after their revival, right?

Also, all those stories about Ghost-type Pokemon draining life force doesn't actually involve them draining life force to the death, just inconvenient incapacitation, shortened life spans, and possibly knockouts, right? That's scary enough to discourage eating matcha but still tame enough to allow playing with Greavards, right?

Should I forget something to do ? I've beaten two strong trainers with strange masks
Well a bunch of Pokémon that were cut due to dexit also got sold back to you. So I guess that's technically content.

Pokemon DLC is just several hour fetch quests padded by 100 "returning" Pokemon to make it feel more "new". It's pretty scummy.

To be strictly fair to the specific time frame of post-rampage attitudes, even if it is unfair, they did see an ogre "go crazy", rampage into a festival of people and explicitly kill 3 beloved pokemon

This kind of reminds me, actually...did anyone else think that Ogrepon we interact with might be a sort of ghost/zombie situation? It was one of the first things that came to mind when it suddenly showed up. Like, Kieren had gone to that outlook alone for years but never saw it. Meanwhile the grandfather was surprised to hear it had been sighted at all.
Long lived Pokemon are nothing new for the series, but in the same DLC that had 3 explicitly 100% dead Pokemon come back to life (seemingly via Kieran) and then the later part of the DLC having the area where the man laid the crystals (effectively on top of the area ogrepon lives) mentioning sometimes seeing the souls of the dead...

Problems against this of course being:
-The revival of the Loyal 3 was significantly more flashy & ominous
-Kieren's downward spiral & more toxic personality has an implication of an outside force (see again: the more elaborate revival of the loyal 3) that only came into effect after the festival
-No real reason given for why Ogrepon would "come back alive" in relation to a near by battle (it doesn't seem especially hyped for it, inherently and seemed to avoid conflict at the festival)
-Occam's Razor: yeah sometimes pokemon just live a long time. Literally this DLC has an ancient Ursaluna still around and kicking. It's like the different attitudes of past & present, the simplest explanation is the right one and just because there's weird magic wish granting crystals and peaches going on doesn't mean they're involved in everything.

but never the less it came to mind when I first saw it show up.
I kind of have a contrasting idea that Ogerpon is specifically still alive and long-lived because of the mask(s) and may be a now-extinct species or relative to a Pokemon from the centuries ago its story takes place. The one mask it was allowed to keep was the Teal Mask, which has properties that can breathe life into greenery, with Ogerpon itself being a Grass Pokemon (whether because of the mask or naturally). Bloodmoon Ursaluna is an anomaly without much explanation, Ogerpon would be in a similar boat but with the explanation being the Tera-Crystal Masks. Assuming the powers for the masks can extend that far it would also explain why the "Loyal" 3 were so intent on stealing these compared to any other treasures, since they allegedly came to Kitakami to find them specifically.

Tangentially related, I had this theory that Ogerpon constantly comes down to the festival, whether to be able to walk amongst people acceptably in disguise, or to maybe get close to the shrine to try and take its masks back. This time it happens to run into you and was spooked because you might recognize it/were looking for it with Kieran before, as opposed to going unnoticed other times (perhaps because Kieran and Carmine are normally at Blueberry Academy instead of home for the Festival).

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So yeah I agree - I do prefer the two DLC parts being one continuous story - but the SwSh DLC definitely had memorable characters - specifically Mustard, Peony and Calyrex for me.

I like the theory about Glimmora somehow being related to the mon that gave The Loyal Three their powers - expanding on its lore somewhat. I hope there’s more to it than “oh its crystals resemble Tera Jewels just cos it lives in Area Zero” - though this may make sense as Glimmet exists outside Area Zero in Paldea. (Glimmora does exist in Crystal pool- obvious Tera Connection and Oni Mountain which is all somewhat? Tera related). Plus it appearing in the Area Zero story as a special encounter alongside Paradox Pokemonand Nemona being like “I didn’t know this Pokemon was from here” definitely seems to hint at further info coming.

Coronis

Impressively round
Well yeah thats taking a massive part of the content out of it - I would’ve had much less to do in the base game if I just waited and transferred the old Pokemon from home.

You should also make sure to find the rare form of Poltchageist/Sinistcha (similar to Sinistea and Polteageist).

There are 8 members of the Kitakami Ogre clan in total - going in blind against them (properly built Pokemon with clear strats) was definitely not a straightforward challenge even with Pokemon in the 80’s.

So yeah I agree - I do prefer the two DLC parts being one continuous story - but the SwSh DLC definitely had memorable characters - specifically Mustard, Peony and Calyrex for me.

I like the theory about Glimmora somehow being related to the mon that gave The Loyal Three their powers - expanding on its lore somewhat. I hope there’s more to it than “oh its crystals resemble Tera Jewels just cos it lives in Area Zero” - though this may make sense as Glimmet exists outside Area Zero in Paldea. (Glimmora does exist in Crystal pool- obvious Tera Connection and Oni Mountain which is all somewhat? Tera related). Plus it appearing in the Area Zero story as a special encounter alongside Paradox Pokemonand Nemona being like “I didn’t know this Pokemon was from here” definitely seems to hint at further info coming.
Man imagine if Glimmora had 5 petals instead of 6 and this entire time it was secretly a peach blossom

Coronis

Impressively round
Man imagine if Glimmora had 5 petals instead of 6 and this entire time it was secretly a peach blossom
Clearly a Peach Blossom mutated by Tera energy!

not a bad theory actually. We can share credit if it comes true!

Coronis

Impressively round
Also - has anyone managed to beat the Hard level of Ogre Oustin’? Obviously I’d love that Shiny Munchlax - I can’t quite beat Medium difficulty solo - I expect you’d need a full team for the Hard difficulty similar to some of the harder Tera Raids.

Also - has anyone managed to beat the Hard level of Ogre Oustin’? Obviously I’d love that Shiny Munchlax - I can’t quite beat Medium difficulty solo - I expect you’d need a full team for the Hard difficulty similar to some of the harder Tera Raids.
Yeah I think you need a full team to be able to beat hard, or at least that was the intention. Most people i see winning do it with their friends all coordinating

A lotus flower came to mind after reading this. Specifically, a reference to the Lotus Eaters of the Odyssey, where the flower provided constant blissful dreams and the main plot concern was yet another attempt at getting Odysseus to *checks notes* forget he has a family at home.

Are you only able to get the fresh-start Mochi on hard mode, or can it be dropped on any difficulty?
I played Easy mode to completion and failed Normal at the last stage and got one bit of Fresh-Start Mochi from...one of them.
I assume it's an uncommon drop on Normal (if it shows up on easy, it's probably rare) and more common in Hard.

Thanks gamefreak for bringing this feature back but still making it harder to actually use than the altnerative for no real reason

Coronis

Impressively round
I played Easy mode to completion and failed Normal at the last stage and got one bit of Fresh-Start Mochi from...one of them.
I assume it's an uncommon drop on Normal (if it shows up on easy, it's probably rare) and more common in Hard.

Thanks gamefreak for bringing this feature back but still making it harder to actually use than the altnerative for no real reason
Yeah I’ve gotten a few in total from Easy/Normal but c’mon. Nobody is playing it for the other mochi types. Should be at least as common as the others.

Pretty bad bug warning. SV currently only stores 300 records for defeated trainers and anyone defeated after that won't permanently save, so if you've cleared out enough of Paldea already then the Ogre Clan won't count as being defeated and the sidequest may be uncompleteable.
thats awful news... i tried my best to battle every trainer in the base game, so i hope this is fixed by the time i get the dlc :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)