SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet: The Teal Mask

1694749786223.png
1694749791973.png

This Pokedex evaluation message for the halfway point is puzzling, because I thought this was a hint towards NPCs from different schools who would trade you alternate forms like Isle of Armor but that doesn't happen at all. I guess this is probably referring to version exclusives if we treat the alternate version academy as a different school, but even then there are only 3 of them, so this message should really be at the ending point when you're done with catching wild Pokemon and can't make any more progress. Fortunately Gligar/Aipom and Cramorant/Morpeko are readily available in the other Switch games.

EDIT:
1694753028890.png

Speaking of strange text, the Egg Jacq gives you is given by "the Jacq". Now I wonder what else has changed in the full text dumps.

Last edited:
Hey, everyone!!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...STF0qnPdSmNBNQR2fMBQk-nfU/edit#gid=1606508293
It's Trainer sheet time!!!
Check out the EVs on those Ogre Clan teams : D

(I also posted this here:)
It's interesting how Kieran and Carmine have full tera types defined for their whole team (except his first fights and one of his Yanmega), yet can't ever tera themselves. I also like how the different difficulty versions of the battles actually have different moves and even team evolutions/order like his very first battle changing his ace from Furret to Yanma, compared to SWSH keeping movesets the exact same. Kieran also seems to start running 252 HP stuff in postgame while Carmine doesn't.
1694789558794.png
1694789570068.png

1694789941942.png

1694789985881.png

One difference I noticed between the mons themselves is that maingame Kieran has a Hardy Yanma but postgame Kieran has a Timid one, and this is consistent all through each of their battles.

1694789126246.png

I was looking through the text dump and noticed this dialogue about calling LP crypto. It seems that if you ask to use LP repeatedly you can go through different dialogue variations of the shopkeeper considering to use LP, but I'm not sure what finally unlocks its use. Maybe it's story completion.

View attachment 552093
I was looking through the text dump and noticed this dialogue about calling LP crypto. It seems that if you ask to use LP repeatedly you can go through different dialogue variations of the shopkeeper considering to use LP, but I'm not sure what finally unlocks its use. Maybe it's story completion.
Things that exist in the Pokemon World: Crypto Currencies. Sure hope the Paldea League doesn't encounter a rogue hacker that takes advantage of this and gets unlimited League Points.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I initially wasn’t going to buy this DLC at all, but just like with the base game I eventually guilt tripped myself into spending money on a “rushed product” that I’ll seemingly only play once or twice and then never touch it again. That being said, this DLC looks to be a bit more promising than last generation, and I personally like the creative opportunities brought about by having the DLC be one interconnected storyline this time around. I don’t have too much to say about my Day 1 impressions of this DLC since most of this is just an expansion on base game content (which, yeah, that’s the whole point). I tend to think of DLC for main series Pokémon in the same way that I view “third version” titles like Emerald or Platinum- fine quality of life additions, but not enough actually new content to be considered an actually new or original release.

Downloadable content being an expansion upon the base game also brings up another problem I have with The Teal Mask in particular that I haven’t seen a lot of people talk about. Kitakami is smaller than most of us would have hoped for, but the area’s size isn’t as significant an issue as just how short the story is. From what I’ve seen, someone who’s already cleared the base game could easily complete this storyline in under three hours. It ends up feeling more like, say, a Sevii Islands situation in practice where the new content would be better as an addition to the base game’s main story. Personally here’s how I would have done it:

-Base game: Make this your main story
-The Teal Mask: Postgame, kind of like Sinnoh’s Battle Zone area
-The Indigo Disk: Make this the sole DLC expansion

Maybe a stupid question but can we use Galarian Weezing in Teal Mask? I saw the Alolan forms, some are even uses by trainers but I'm not sure about G-Weezing...

I initially wasn’t going to buy this DLC at all, but just like with the base game I eventually guilt tripped myself into spending money on a “rushed product” that I’ll seemingly only play once or twice and then never touch it again. That being said, this DLC looks to be a bit more promising than last generation, and I personally like the creative opportunities brought about by having the DLC be one interconnected storyline this time around. I don’t have too much to say about my Day 1 impressions of this DLC since most of this is just an expansion on base game content (which, yeah, that’s the whole point). I tend to think of DLC for main series Pokémon in the same way that I view “third version” titles like Emerald or Platinum- fine quality of life additions, but not enough actually new content to be considered an actually new or original release.

Downloadable content being an expansion upon the base game also brings up another problem I have with The Teal Mask in particular that I haven’t seen a lot of people talk about. Kitakami is smaller than most of us would have hoped for, but the area’s size isn’t as significant an issue as just how short the story is. From what I’ve seen, someone who’s already cleared the base game could easily complete this storyline in under three hours. It ends up feeling more like, say, a Sevii Islands situation in practice where the new content would be better as an addition to the base game’s main story. Personally here’s how I would have done it:

-Base game: Make this your main story
-The Teal Mask: Postgame, kind of like Sinnoh’s Battle Zone area
-The Indigo Disk: Make this the sole DLC expansion
I actualyl thought Kitakami was bigger than I expected. It definitely seemed bigger than Isle of Armor/Tundra's respective areas. I've even gotten lost in the innards of the mountains a few times with all the little sidepaths and dead ends getting turne around. Heck there were chunks of it I hadn't even touched until grabbing the last few Pokemon and Perrin's sidequest.
And the story.... It's not very long but it still felt fine; probably would have benefitted from a bit more time between storyboards a little Kieran's issues cook a little more is about my only real complaint.
Like I dunno it's all about what I expect out of a DLC expansion, most games don't really drop even half-length campaigns and full maps.

Attachments

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My theory about DLC2 story:

so this story was an inversion of the classic momotaro story
where he is born from a peach and with the help of the loyal 3 defeat the ogre
the loyal 3 are all classified as the "retainer" pokemon, which means they serve under something else
we also know according to their dex entries that they were granted power by another entity
in one picture, you can see the corner of something and that asset is saved in the files (looks kinda like glimmora to me)
so the "peach" pokemon is actually the one supplying the toxic chains that boost their power
I think kieran, now feeling betrayed by you and ogrepon, is going to train really hard and become blueberry champion
we know his dipplin evolves into his ace because eviolite works, and that there are 2 snakes inside
I think it will evolve into something with a sweet/sour theme, which illustrates the role reversal of kieran (sweet -> sour) and carmine (sour -> sweet)
I think he will lose to you after becoming champion, and feel even more down
and turn to the momotaro/peach evil pokemon for power
(something was iffy about the way he magically resurrected the loyal 3, so there might be a tie there with his ancestry)
he will be granted a toxic chain and will use it to tie up the hair thats always in his eyes
but also part of the momotaro story is that momotaro and the loyal 3 raid the ogre's treasure house
we know that at the end of the DLC, we return to area zero
so I think with the help of kieran, the peach pokemon is going to try to raid "the treasure of area zero" aka terastal power
hence the dlc name
terapagos could be the protector of terastal power, and like you were forced to use ogrepon against carmine,
you might be forced to use terapagos against the peach
Please ignore the formatting, I copied it from a monologue on Discord. :tymp:

Last edited:
I went back to Peachy's and got the speech about shops accepting LP in the middle of fighting the three things, so I guess you just have to leave the area/region to reload the shop or have time pass or something.

Speaking of shops, the mask stand near Oger Oustin' sells phone cases, but Serebii also lists new Scarlet and Violet phone cases added that don't seem to have an unlock method found yet. They also show all the new menu borders which is convenient.

I've finished Teal Mask yesterday, just need to do billionaires quest and the Loyal Three as well to finish, don't feel like catching them right now, though.
I enjoyed exploring Kitakami probably more than the Isle of Armor, I wasn't expecting anything at all from this DLC, so I guess it's one big pleasant surprise for me.
Story is nice, Ogerpon deserves all the pats on the head, and I also love how she's fixed to be Lonely nature, poor thing. I feel like there's more to the story than SWSH DLC, but to be honest I just don't remember Isle and Tundra at all. Ursaluna quest was a bit surprising to me, I suppose that's mostly because it means there's now a Pokemon with "blood" in it's name, maybe not that big of a deal though. They did remove mentions of blood from like LGPE before. I didn't realise at first that Perrine was from Adaman's family, and I want that tent. I do wonder, how did she get that Growlithe, and is this Ursaluna immortal?
Haven't tried Ogre Oustin' with other people yet, I don't have high hopes for strangers, and my friends haven't reached the minigame yet. From the mandatory run it seemed entertaining enough.
Also, is the new camera music from radio in HGSS? It seems familiar.

I'm really glad theyre doing one continous story told in 2 chapters with this dlc, instead of 2 whole separate things. No one in the swsh dlc is vaguely memorable because of how little you get to see them, and having returning characters teased in the future dlc is good! Makes these feel less like just dlc and more like a proper side story. It also makes the new characters stand out because your brain connects them with returning ones

I've finished Teal Mask yesterday, just need to do billionaires quest and the Loyal Three as well to finish, don't feel like catching them right now, though.
I enjoyed exploring Kitakami probably more than the Isle of Armor, I wasn't expecting anything at all from this DLC, so I guess it's one big pleasant surprise for me.
Story is nice, Ogerpon deserves all the pats on the head, and I also love how she's fixed to be Lonely nature, poor thing. I feel like there's more to the story than SWSH DLC, but to be honest I just don't remember Isle and Tundra at all. Ursaluna quest was a bit surprising to me, I suppose that's mostly because it means there's now a Pokemon with "blood" in it's name, maybe not that big of a deal though. They did remove mentions of blood from like LGPE before. I didn't realise at first that Perrine was from Adaman's family, and I want that tent. I do wonder, how did she get that Growlithe, and is this Ursaluna immortal?
Haven't tried Ogre Oustin' with other people yet, I don't have high hopes for strangers, and my friends haven't reached the minigame yet. From the mandatory run it seemed entertaining enough.
Also, is the new camera music from radio in HGSS? It seems familiar.
With LGPE they could reuse dialogue from FRLG and HGSS which came out when Nintendo of America was more strict about censorship than they are now. And blood as in blood moon is a different context from what blood was used for in other games.

I'm really glad theyre doing one continous story told in 2 chapters with this dlc, instead of 2 whole separate things. No one in the swsh dlc is vaguely memorable because of how little you get to see them, and having returning characters teased in the future dlc is good! Makes these feel less like just dlc and more like a proper side story. It also makes the new characters stand out because your brain connects them with returning ones
I definitely like that it's a continuous story, and I know different strokes and all that, but I found the 2 disconnected sets of characters in SWSH pretty memorable. I like Klara and especially Peony a lot, Mustard is fun too. Calyrex, too, was a very memorable character to me (granted it gets bonus points for being a Pokemon).

But you know while we're on the topic of set ups and pay offs they can do with this, I find it very interesting that the reason Briar & company have to return immediately to Blueberry is because...of an issue with Area Zero. Obviously we figured it'd tie in some fashion (the terrarium being based on tera crystals being the biggest theory), but what was such an emergency in Paldea that they had to rush back to Unova you know? Exciting!

Personally I don’t really think the Hidden Treasure’s story approach is necessarily better or worse than the SwSh DLC. It’s just two different manners of approach. I like the SV story so far and am intrigued to see where it goes, but like, I didn’t think the SwSh DLC was lacking in memorable characters. Klara is one of my favorite rivals for her whole arc, while characters like Mustard, Honey, and Peony were all pitched with a zany sense of humor that made them charming. Even some of the no-name NPCs had cute little moments that I remember taking particular notice of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)