Format Discussion Scarlet/Violet Random Battle Sets

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Don't know if there's a way to generate the sets this way, but I just pulled Band Palafin without Wave Crash and lost because of it, and that doesn't seem like it should be possible.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Don't know if there's a way to generate the sets this way, but I just pulled Band Palafin without Wave Crash and lost because of it, and that doesn't seem like it should be possible.
Palafin is on the enforced STAB list because it's slower than most Pokémon in rands (its real speed at its current level is 199 which seems high, but this gen has really high speed stats across the board). This means that it will always get Jet Punch and then Wave Crash is only a potential addition.

We could take it off the enforced STAB list, but that will lead to it getting outsped a lot, and also probably cause Scarf on Jet Punchless sets which I don't think is desirable.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
the dev team is currently discussing how to fix this, and whether we want to. The simplest way to fix this would be by preventing Choice Band from having Ice Punch. The proposal to do so has significant pushback, but has a simple majority to pass at the moment. We'll see whether the team likes this set or not by the next update. I unfortunately cannot guarantee your suggestion will be accepted at this time, as a result

Edit: the majority of the team now believes that wave crashless band being 20% of palafins is desirable and optimal. It is currently not likely that your suggestion will be accepted.

Last edited:

Geysers

not round
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd love it if there were fewer chesto berries on fat mons. I just lost a game because my rest Bronzong had chesto instead of leftovers, and the thought occurred to me that Bronzong virtually never benefits from chesto since the only situations where it even needs / gets to click rest are situations where it's going to be able to stay in for two turns (generally against a fairly weak special attacker like lapras that can 4hko it). Against anything else, it either doesn't need to rest or is going to die regardless of chesto. Regirock is another example where it would be nice to get leftovers instead of chesto at least sometimes since it's in a similar position where it only really clicks rest in positions where it wouldn't benefit from chesto. Thanks!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I'd love it if there were fewer chesto berries on fat mons. I just lost a game because my rest Bronzong had chesto instead of leftovers, and the thought occurred to me that Bronzong virtually never benefits from chesto since the only situations where it even needs / gets to click rest are situations where it's going to be able to stay in for two turns (generally against a fairly weak special attacker like lapras that can 4hko it). Against anything else, it either doesn't need to rest or is going to die regardless of chesto. Regirock is another example where it would be nice to get leftovers instead of chesto at least sometimes since it's in a similar position where it only really clicks rest in positions where it wouldn't benefit from chesto. Thanks!
Hi! Thank you for your suggestion. It's been brought to the development team and has so far been denied 10-1 because the lack of team preview means that you will often need to not be helpless after using Rest. I'll let you know if this changes, but until then please do not bring it up again. Thank you.

Last edited:
Mods I know you're gonna flame me but............... this might actually work no cap

Zoroark Hisui can use its 100 Atk to pull of a SD set
it's moves would be...
Swords Dance: You can't have an SD sweeper without SD obviously
Poltergeist: It's arguably the strongest Ghost Physical move and the strongest STAB for H-Zoro
Body Slam: Respectable STAB and has a good para chance too
Foul Play/Knock Off/Low Kick/: coverage options that could be considered for it

Overall while this may not be seen as the best set, it would definitely make H-Zoro a much more versatile Mon... plus it's physical movepool isn't that bad somehow

EDIT: I know U-Turn is shit on an SD mon now now thanks to somebody they know who they are I'm deleting that from my proposal

TLDR: Physical H-Zoro set with SD/Poltergiest/Body Slam/FP-Knock-Low Kick- or something similar with Life Orb

Last edited:

pokeblade101

RBTT Champion
Mods I know you're gonna flame me but............... this might actually work no cap

it's moves would be...
Poltergeist: It's arguably the strongest Ghost Physical move and the strongest STAB for H-Zoro

Overall while this may not be seen as the best set, it would definitely make H-Zoro a much more versatile Mon... plus it's physical movepool isn't that bad somehow

EDIT: I know U-Turn is shit on an SD mon now now thanks to somebody they know who they are I'm deleting that from my proposal

TLDR: Physical H-Zoro set with SD/Poltergiest/Body Slam/FP-Knock-Low Kick- or something similar with Life Orb
This isn't that bad of a suggestion tbh. However, it may not work out as well as you would think. Not only is it a lot less coverage than its special attacker set, it's a lot weaker, with poltergeist being its only saving grace. Combine that with the fact that Steel and Rock are mostly physically defensive and you will realise you will have a hard time breaking through pokemon like one nasty plot can achieve. Body Slam itself is why I would personally reject the idea of this because it is not strong enough. Imagine a level 80 Zoroark using Body Slam. Not the best.

Last edited:

it's moves would be...

Low kick is the only potentially viable 4th, foul play isn’t boosted by sd and knock messes up poltergeist hard

This isn't that bad of a suggestion tbh. However, it may not work out as well as you would think. Not only is it a lot less coverage than its special attacker set, it's a lot weaker, with poltergeist being its only saving grace. Combine that with the fact that Steel and Rock are mostly physically defensive and you will realise you will have a hard time breaking through pokemon like one nasty plot can achieve. Body Slam itself is why I would personally reject the idea of this because it is not strong enough. Imagine a level 80 Zoroark using Body Slam. Not the best.
Imo, you only really need Ghost + Fighting as coverage so a mixed SD could work.

Role: Fast Attacker
Zoroark-Hisui @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Tera Type: Ghost / Fighting (?)
- Swords Dance
- Poltergeist
- Low Kick
- Hyper Voice

Poltergeist outdamages Hyper Voice especially after a boost and can hit super effectively while revealing their item so I think it's worth considering further.

Low Kick hits darks and normals as well as the physical defensive rocks/steels. The latter usually are heavy so move power isn't much of an issue. The downside here is that you need to boost up to ensure a KO while Focus Miss is a 70/30 chance for a kill or at least debilitatingly damage.

Hyper Voice is Horoark's strongest special move and gives it a way to chunk physically defensive non-resists when boosting with SD isn't feasible or worth it.

As for why I'd like this set to exist alongside the current one. It gives it a better MU into bulky spdef mons like Florges, Ho-Oh, Alcremie, etc that'd normally trade for heavy damage and LO recoil to Horoark while hitting mons with similar defense stats harder.

+2 Lvl 80 84 Atk Life Orb Zoroark-Hisui Poltergeist vs. Lvl 85 84 HP / 84 Def Florges: 312-368 (115.1 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 Lvl 80 84 SpA Life Orb Zoroark-Hisui Hyper Voice vs. Lvl 85 84 HP / 84 SpD Florges: 161-191 (59.4 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 Lvl 80 84 Atk Life Orb Zoroark-Hisui Poltergeist vs. Lvl 71 84 HP / 84 Def Ho-Oh: 304-359 (113.4 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 Lvl 80 84 SpA Life Orb Zoroark-Hisui Hyper Voice vs. Lvl 71 84 HP / 84 SpD Ho-Oh: 192-227 (71.6 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 Lvl 80 84 Atk Life Orb Zoroark-Hisui Poltergeist vs. Lvl 90 84 HP / 84 Def Alcremie: 274-325 (104.1 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 Lvl 80 84 SpA Life Orb Zoroark-Hisui Hyper Voice vs. Lvl 90 84 HP / 84 SpD Alcremie: 187-220 (71.1 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead

it's moves would be...

Hi, after a lot of discussion, we came to a conclusion on this:

-We will not add swords dance at this time.
-However, Poltergeist does hold merit, so we will add a second Hisuian Zoroark set that is a mixed life orb attacker with Poltergeist, Hyper Voice, Focus Blast, and Will-O-Wisp.

I hope this suffices.

Celever

i am town
Could the Vikavolt agility set get a lorb or something? Atm it's just a completely inferior set to specs and webs. It just doesn't have sweeping capabilities without extra damage output. Alternatively, just scrap the set entirely
Scrapping the set is already a slated change for the next patch so uh, yes we can.

(I’d prefer to try LO first but people like webs)

Last edited by a moderator:

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Would it be possible to introduce some more item variety for Dragon Dance Flygon? Given that it isn't super naturally strong, I think a Life Orb variant of its current set would add to its toolkit nicely. Sucks to constantly see +1 EQ or Outrage leave something below 5% but not dead. Also worth noting that Lum Berry isn't amazing on a mon that's naturally immune to a DDer's worst enemy (Twave) and can often escape Toxic with Tera Steel anyway.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
Would it be possible to introduce some more item variety for Dragon Dance Flygon? Given that it isn't super naturally strong, I think a Life Orb variant of its current set would add to its toolkit nicely. Sucks to constantly see +1 EQ or Outrage leave something below 5% but not dead. Also worth noting that Lum Berry isn't amazing on a mon that's naturally immune to a DDer's worst enemy (Twave) and can often escape Toxic with Tera Steel anyway.
This would either involve a hardcode or moving to Dragon Claw. Neither seem particularly worthwhile in my opinion, but I'll bring this up to the team and we'll discuss it.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
We came up with an alternate solution: ALL existing Lum Berry users will as of next update have a 50% chance to get their default item (Life Orb or Leftovers) instead. This decreases the rate of Lum and allows Life Orb on a lot of Pokemon that wouldn't have it otherwise.

In other words, half of DD Flygon will be Life Orb now. And Haxorus, and Kingdra, and Regidrago, et cetera

Last edited:
I don't like this change because it's kinda weird as a universal one

Haxorus, for instance, gets much more value out of Lum than a Kingdra does because Haxorus is already OHKOing/2HKOing Pokemon at +1, and status is one of the main things stopping of a +1/+1 Tera Steel Haxorus sweep.

Flygon and Kingdra make sense because they are Pokemon that are not strong enough to just pick up on KOs.

+1 Lvl 77 84 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. Lvl 87 84 HP / 84 Def Alomomola: 211-249 (49.1 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

+1 Lvl 84 84 Atk Kingdra Outrage vs. Lvl 87 84 HP / 84 Def Alomomola: 178-210 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 Lvl 84 84 Atk Life Orb Kingdra Outrage vs. Lvl 87 84 HP / 84 Def Alomomola: 231-273 (53.8 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 Lvl 82 84 Atk Flygon Outrage vs. Lvl 87 84 HP / 84 Def Alomomola: 175-207 (40.7 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 Lvl 82 84 Atk Life Orb Flygon Outrage vs. Lvl 87 84 HP / 84 Def Alomomola: 227-269 (52.9 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

as an example^

Some DD Dragons may Life Orb to effectively break, but not all of them need the extra power. I have a feeling that Haxorus winrate will decline, albeit maybe not too much (Lorb is still not a bad item for it per se, just not what it wants imo) but still.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
Random Battle Lead
call me bad but this is fucking egregious. my Dipplin (DPulse/Giga/Sucker/Recover) just got PP stalled by a Gogoat which is a mon that it should probably be able to answer. Well it could if it could always run Dragon Tail but instead there's a chance to get useless ass Sucker Punch instead. Hope this is assessed because Sucker Dipplin is a waste of a wall and isn't using the mon to its fullest potential, at least have the option for Infestation or something if you're too hard-assed about having 1 usable set.
Hi, we tried removing Sucker Punch Dipplin and its winrate was not increased by the loss of the move. As such, we'd prefer if Sucker Punch stayed at this time; it will be readded next update.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Edit: This reversion may be vetoed by the development council if they just really don't like it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)