Resource Other Metagames Index - Ask Questions Here!

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
If I'd like to propose an OM/Pet Mod (basically on the line between the two) that covers a wider variety of Pokémon than the Gen 9 dex allows, where should I go?
OM/Pet Mod is a pretty binary system I'm afraid - unless it has a really well defined reason for including an expanded dex (i.e. Balanced Hackmons) it'd go into Pet Mods.
If you're still not sure, I'd recommend posting the idea in the metagame workshop thread and someone will tell you if it's not feasible as an OM.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
don't think i've ever ask since this pre-dates my time on this site, but is there a reason why STAB and MnM have restrictions while AAA and BH don't? i'm assuming it's just that they had restrictions when first created and this was simply carried forward, but the discrepancy between AAA's "native learners don't technically exist so everything gets huge power -> ban it" for banned abilities compared to STAB's "all poisons can learn dire claw but only sneasler can use it" has always seemed a little off. MnM's slightly different "exclude the mon from the OM's mechanic entirely" restriction is also unique but just assuming this is also historic and simply brought forward.

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
don't think i've ever ask since this pre-dates my time on this site, but is there a reason why STAB and MnM have restrictions while AAA and BH don't? i'm assuming it's just that they had restrictions when first created and this was simply carried forward, but the discrepancy between AAA's "native learners don't technically exist so everything gets huge power -> ban it" for banned abilities compared to STAB's "all poisons can learn dire claw but only sneasler can use it" has always seemed a little off. MnM's slightly different "exclude the mon from the OM's mechanic entirely" restriction is also unique but just assuming this is also historic and simply brought forward.
STAB (and most move-based OMs) has to do with native movepools clearly existing. It’s not like Cloyster can only use Ice and Water moves, it still keeps Rock Blast. So it’s also consistent to say it gets its native movepool (which includes the restricted Shell Smash) plus STAB moves, but would be unable to learn a restricted Ice move it does not normally get like Glacial Lance. The restriction only applies to moves learned through the metagame mechanic.

MnM if it was created today probably would not have a restricted list no, but it has been in place for four generations now. You can also argue that it has precedent with standard tiers (Sableye was allowed in ORAS OU, but barred from holding a Mega Stone; just, now mons like Gengar are barred from holding all stones).

In general, movepool restrictions are within the realm of allowable tiering due to the existence of native movepools (BH is a clear exception, since it very much does not rely on native movepools), while ability / item / mon restrictions are usually not.

STAB (and most move-based OMs) has to do with native movepools clearly existing. It’s not like Cloyster can only use Ice and Water moves, it still keeps Rock Blast. So it’s also consistent to say it gets its native movepool (which includes the restricted Shell Smash) plus STAB moves, but would be unable to learn a restricted Ice move it does not normally get like Glacial Lance. The restriction only applies to moves learned through the metagame mechanic.

MnM if it was created today probably would not have a restricted list no, but it has been in place for four generations now. You can also argue that it has precedent with standard tiers (Sableye was allowed in ORAS OU, but barred from holding a Mega Stone; just, now mons like Gengar are barred from holding all stones).

In general, movepool restrictions are within the realm of allowable tiering due to the existence of native movepools (BH is a clear exception, since it very much does not rely on native movepools), while ability / item / mon restrictions are usually not.
This still doesn't seem to be consistent with why AAA and STABmons behave differently. Native abilities exist just as well as native movepools do. Note that on-cart Pokemon can only legally have certain abilities and similarly can only legally learn certain moves. Also note that the same ability/move can be legally shared by multiple Pokemon and you can hack illegal-on-cart abilities and moves onto on-cart Pokemon. Heck, just like certain abilities are coded to only work on certain Pokemon (e.g. Gulp Missile), so are certain moves (e.g. Hyperspace Fury)! Abilities are arguably even more native on-cart than moves, as all legal abilities of a Pokemon in a certain generation, including future legal abilities, are fixed on release day until a new form is created for that mon mid-generation, while Game Freak easily releases events mid-generation that distribute Pokemon with new moves (e.g. V-create Rayquaza) on existing forms. So, if "movepool restrictions are within the realm of allowable tiering due to the existence of native movepools", why aren't ability restrictions due to the existence of native abilities?

Last edited:

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
This still doesn't seem to be consistent with why AAA and STABmons behave differently. Native abilities exist just as well as native movepools do.
Restrict lists are undesirable and should only be used if they’re necessary for the meta to function. If the meta concept can work without a restricted list, it should for the sake of simplicity.

STAB without native movepools would leave pokemon with only STAB moves, which is undesirable and would cause most pokemon to lose more than they gain and make gameplay far more linear. AAA without native ability pools still functions well and allows us to maintain a simpler banlist.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Hello, which is the oldest generation to ever have OMs about ?
As far as I know, one of the oldest Other Metagames is Balanced Hackmons which preceded the room. You can find it's beginning in 2012 here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen-v-balanced-hackmons.3463764/, otherwise there have definitely been informal OM's but nothing classified as it due it (the room) being a creation later on. There have always been people that seek to spice up their game with unique rules and I don't see this not being the case for even earlier gens.

TLDR; a bit over 10 years old officially aka gen 5, unofficially probably longer

Last edited:
As far as I know, one of the oldest Other Metagames is Balanced Hackmons which preceded the room. You can find it's beginning in 2012 here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen-v-balanced-hackmons.3463764/, otherwise there have definitely been informal OM's but nothing classified as it due it (the room) being a creation later on. There have always been people that seek to spice up their game with unique rules and I don't see this not being the case for even earlier gens.

TLDR; a bit over 10 years old officially aka gen 5, unofficially probably longer
Thanks for the information. It's as I thought, and it makes me want to ask another question : Is it possible to suggest OMs for generations prior to 5th ?

Could the possibility of past gen OMs ever exist?

Like a subcategory of UMs or another subcategory of OMs like "Retro Metas". I would think that all current generation OMs wouldn't immediately have past generation threads, but if someone wanted to, for example, create and lead USUM Convergence, they could submit it and lead it with a council and create samples, VR, etc. This could also open up the ability to create new metagames with past generation mechanics like Z Moves or Dynamax and also bring back older formats that used these mechanics. Since they are past generation stuff, they also don't need to be removed at the end of the current generation.

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Thanks for the information. It's as I thought, and it makes me want to ask another question : Is it possible to suggest OMs for generations prior to 5th ?
Generally we want metagames that have to do with the current generation, this comes down to primarily interest levels.

Like a subcategory of UMs or another subcategory of OMs like "Retro Metas". I would think that all current generation OMs wouldn't immediately have past generation threads, but if someone wanted to, for example, create and lead USUM Convergence, they could submit it and lead it with a council and create samples, VR, etc. This could also open up the ability to create new metagames with past generation mechanics like Z Moves or Dynamax and also bring back older formats that used these mechanics. Since they are past generation stuff, they also don't need to be removed at the end of the current generation.
I wouldn't say it is impossible, but I would say it isn't likely, this all comes down to interest levels and division of interest. Having multiple generations available at all times on top of the current generation will lead to division in players. This can be seen in the drastic differences between the most popular metagames and the less, example being AAA had over 31,000 battles last month whereas STABmons the third most played Permaladder was barely over 5,000 and this problem isn't exclusive to OM's but instead followed by regular tiers. Overused had over 1.2 million battles last month whereas Underused only had 130,000, barely more then a 10th (and only gets drastically lower the lower the tier is). Also, the idea of bringing back old mechanics into new OM's is more in line with Pet Mods from my perspective. Balanced Hackmons only gets away with having Mega Forms available due to it being hackable in-game (whereas Z-moves, and moves in general not hackable aren't usable).

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader

The problem is that there isn't a need for it, you don't see a lot of people asking for them, and it would just divide the current communities if all those formats that didn't exists in previous generations received official support now, we should focus on creating resources for the current generation, most of the non-permanent formats barely see any activity on their threads when they aren't OMotM, and I doubt that retro versions of those would even generate enough activity to be worth making resources for.

If you're looking for past-gen different content, may I suggest looking at Pet Mods? It's not Other Metagames, but it's still different from the base game and has a good selection of retro-gens style content!

• I like old gens: Current Pokemon with X Generation's mechanics
  • I miss the full Pokedex: Anything that features National Dex mechanics+another idea.
  • Monocolor: All the Pokemon in your team must share the same Dex color.
  • Hoarding: Pokemon can hold X items (where X = 1+n).
  • I want to be a Smogon Tier Leader when I grow up: Tiers made up of Underused(/Bad in ubers) Uber pokemon or a usage based tier under ZU. Basically, no usage based tiers.
  • I Know my egg groups!: Pokemon have access to moves/abilities of Pokemon in the same egg group.
  • Mr Mime For Ubers!: Make all pokemon Uber level in terms of power/bulk.
  • Only 6 pokemon? PLEASE: You can use X (X = 6+n) Pokemon in your team.
  • Hate good moves: Only level up moves allowed/TMs disallowed/only unviable(or "Usually useless moves" from PS builder) moves allowed.
  • Nice Death: All Pokemon come into the field with Perish Song/Mons faint after X turns.
  • Budgetmons: The total base stat in your team must not exceed X/The total value of your team must not exceed X, with individual Pokemon being assigned values like this: [insert rule here].
  • ABCAB: Pokemon learn moves and abilities that start with the first letter of their names but we have a ton of complex bans to try and balance it!
  • OM X and Y are so good: Mashing up two OM concepts to pass off as a new one. (Your om can be similar to another one but it should be a new concept that adds something new or interesting/improves the existing one, assuming the existing one is dead)
  • Chaining: Primary type of a Pokemon in a slot must be the Secondary type of the Pokemon in the slot before it.
  • Ew who switches: Switching is not allowed or hindered in some way.
  • I Sure Love Ability X: All/Some Pokemon get X ability over their normal abilities. Metas where X = Poison Heal/WonderGuard/Prankster have been rejected.
  • Huge Power is so cool!: All/Some Pokemon get Huge Power (or a Huge Power variant for another stat using rule X).
  • Zombies: Pokemon don't die upon fainting the first time. Matches can be won by [insert rule here].
  • STAB moves are the best: You can only use your moves you get STAB in.
  • Random: Your Pokemon's moveset/ability/typing is randomized but you get to pick the rest.
  • Ooh what if we swapped X stat with X stat: No, we have enough of those.
  • Man I hate these Pokemon: X Pokemon/X Typed Pokemon are banned.
  • Priority Moves suck!: All moves have the same priority (0).
  • My formula is not complex: OM concepts that use formulas to calculate Pokemon stats.
So, if I were to suggest a metagame where you could choose where a pokemon's base stats go, that would be rejected immediately?

hi, first of all, apologizes if i am not the correct chat topic.
I was trying to play gen 3 ubers on pokemon showdown but I can't find it.
Does anyone know how I can play it?

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
hi, first of all, apologizes if i am not the correct chat topic.
I was trying to play gen 3 ubers on pokemon showdown but I can't find it.
Does anyone know how I can play it?
I am not sure if this is the place for your question since I am pretty new to the forums, but the reason you can't play Gen 3 Ubers is because it isn't currently a playable format. The only case in which you could play Gen 3 Ubers is to send a challenge to a specific person you want to battle against.

Where do I go to report errors in the team builder for OMs???

1696702266593.png

I think this is an error, should be able to inherit Walking Wake. It works when I remove flip turn, which doesn't make much sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)