Resource Other Metagames Index - Ask Questions Here!

I am trying to validate my fortemons team on showdown and it won't let me use moves as items. I checked the item banlist and none of them are on it. Does anyone know how I can get my team validated?

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
I am trying to validate my fortemons team on showdown and it won't let me use moves as items. I checked the item banlist and none of them are on it. Does anyone know how I can get my team validated?
  • The format needs to be selected as Fortemons beforehand.
  • The Pokemon needs to actually know the move it's using as an item.
  • To equip the move as an item, simply type the move in the item slot and then press enter.
1679178465023.png

1679178482834.png

1679178664609.png

• Wow
Reactions: UT
I have many questions for many OMs here, so I feel I have to explain myself here. I check in on the OM subforum from time to time because it's genuinely interesting. However, since the community is small, discussion threads can overlook a few things about the tier. I could always ask the OM chat(s) on Showdown or any number of official/unofficial servers on Discord, but I feel that the responses made by users here would be more in-depth and informative.

2v2
What does Medicham do in 2v2, and what makes it perform notably well compared to the rest of the format?

What makes Maushold so low ranked on the VR? Friend guard + Follow me seems like a very potent combination, so is it just the poor bulk that lets it down, or am I missing something here?

Previous 2v2 formats have banned prankster tailwind setters like Tornadus and Whimsicott. What makes something like Murkrow not only legal but less effective here? To some extent, this also applies to Talonflame, but Gale Wings really doesn't like fake out, so I can see why that isn't banned here.

AAA
Is there a reason why Aerialate Noivern saw tiering action before Aerialate Dragonite?

Convergence
For convergence, how would donation work for a Pokemon that changes forms mid-battle? Since mega-evolutions aren't available for the foreseeable future, I suppose this question would mainly apply to Normal/Fighting mons receiving serene grace from the returning Meloetta.

STABmons
I'll digest In the Hill's type post before I comment more on the STABmons VR, but what makes Rotom-heat viable here?

NFE
What is NFE's policy on Stantler and Ursaring? I know that Showdown has already implemented the eviolite buff for Ursaring (I have no clue about Stantler), is NFE deciding to wait for Home to allow both?

Volt-Turn Mayhem
How is Trick Room in Volt-Turn Mayhem currently? Is this view expected to change following the release of Home and/or DLC?

Pokebilities
Has Kingambit meaningfully changed how Salamence, Gyarados and Krookodile play in pokebilities?

Another Pokebilities question, does corrosion stack with toxic spikes from toxic debris? If this is true, what happens when a poison type enters the field?

General
I've heard that Arceus and Silvally (the abnormal ones) can run any item with the adjustments made in the more recent Pokemon titles. Is this true for non-BH formats? If this is true, is this phenomenon exclusive to just these two?

Ironically, this "general" question is specific, but what happened to Mediocremons?

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not going to answer the 2v2 part since I don't have any knowledge of the format
AAA
Is there a reason why Aerialate Noivern saw tiering action before Aerialate Dragonite?
There's not really any one particular reason for this, but the simplest way I can put this is that special attackers tend to have less counterplay, and Aerilate Boomburst plowed through teams a lot easier than Dragonite has been able to at any point in the generation so far. Prior to the Dragonite suspect, stuff like Gholdengo and Baxcalibur were allowed and could both beat it 1v1, and Fluffy is currently legal in the metagame which can stop it in its tracks as well if it isn't running special moves.
Convergence
For convergence, how would donation work for a Pokemon that changes forms mid-battle? Since mega-evolutions aren't available for the foreseeable future, I suppose this question would mainly apply to Normal/Fighting mons receiving serene grace from the returning Meloetta.
For just about every OM, what moves/abilities/etc are donated is decided at the teambuilder, so in-battle forme changes aren't given extra moves.
STABmons
I'll digest In the Hill's type post before I comment more on the STABmons VR, but what makes Rotom-heat viable here?
Rotom-Heat is viable due to the fact that Rotom-formes are out-of-battle forme changes and get the moves from Electric, Ghost, Fire, Water, Grass, Ice, and Flying type moves. Rotom-Heat in particular is trending downward this gen due to its typing not being the strongest, but Torch Song sets are viable and can be pretty scary to deal with.
NFE
What is NFE's policy on Stantler and Ursaring? I know that Showdown has already implemented the eviolite buff for Ursaring (I have no clue about Stantler), is NFE deciding to wait for Home to allow both?
NFE follows the same policy as LC which considers them fully evolved until their evolutions are available, akin to how Slowpoke-Galar was treated when it was released earlier than its evolutions in Sword and Shield. They'll be available in Home though!
Volt-Turn Mayhem
How is Trick Room in Volt-Turn Mayhem currently? Is this view expected to change following the release of Home and/or DLC?
Trick Room in general doesn't have the best Pokemon to utilize it right now, and I imagine it's a bit difficult for it to work in VoltTurn Mayhem. Home introducing stuff like Ursaluna and Basculegion will likely help, though I'm not sure it'll ever be a great strategy
Pokebilities
Has Kingambit meaningfully changed how Salamence, Gyarados and Krookodile play in pokebilities?
Pokebilities hasn't had a ladder yet this generation, but I imagine Kingambit will be incredibly strong and dissuade Intimidate users quite a bit
Another Pokebilities question, does corrosion stack with toxic spikes from toxic debris? If this is true, what happens when a poison type enters the field?
Corrosion and Toxic Spikes unfortunately don't stack, so Poison types will still absorb them
General
I've heard that Arceus and Silvally (the abnormal ones) can run any item with the adjustments made in the more recent Pokemon titles. Is this true for non-BH formats? If this is true, is this phenomenon exclusive to just these two?

Ironically, this "general" question is specific, but what happened to Mediocremons?
On Arceus and Silvally, this is only possible through hacking. In Generation 7 and earlier, it used to be impossible to hack in Arceus and Silvally formes as different types due to code limitations in the games, but that changed in the Switch era.

Mediocremons has never been resubmitted since Gen 7, likely due to the smaller Pokedex sizes with dexit. I think more people are interested in tiers like ZU and NFE these days as the restriction on allowed Pokemon is a bit more logical and balanced.

Hello everyone from France, it's been a while since I posted anything on the forums... I was wondering (considering the fact that pokémon is a solo gaming experience before being a multiplayer one) if it would be interesting to create a format based on Ubers, OU, UU, RU, PU and ZU with specific rules, such as : 1) the forbidding of same items ; 2) the forbidding of same moves ; 3) and maybe forbidding of same abilities or same evolution line... As a comparison in Pokemon Crystal version Combat Zone, you can't put the same items on two (or more) pokémon of your team. Just to be clear, I'm not proposing anything, I just want to know your opinion about this.

UT

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
There's not really any one particular reason for this, but the simplest way I can put this is that special attackers tend to have less counterplay, and Aerilate Boomburst plowed through teams a lot easier than Dragonite has been able to at any point in the generation so far. Prior to the Dragonite suspect, stuff like Gholdengo and Baxcalibur were allowed and could both beat it 1v1, and Fluffy is currently legal in the metagame which can stop it in its tracks as well if it isn't running special moves.
To elaborate on this, Noivern was better at breaking down its checks with less counterplay. It didn’t need to set up to do big damage, which makes it way more threatening early-game, and it could beat most defensive counterplay with Super Fang + Taunt; Dragonite relies on coverage moves, which means it’s always strapped for moveslots (especially since it needs Dragon Dance) and can get blanked by the wrong immunity ability.
This is possible in any SS or SV OM where they are legal and can change their ability. For example, RegenVest Silvally-Dragon was common in SS AAA. Since Silvally is not in SV, and Arceus is banned from most OMs, it’s not really relevant in most OMs currently.

BoingK

back to the lab again
is a Pre-Contributor
Has tier shift been put forward/submitted yet this gen (and would I be able to submit it if it has not)?

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
would a "metagame" with forced sets be an om or a pet mod?
ex :
the power of rocks (Garganacl) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Scales
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stone Axe
- Curse
- Salt Cure
- Recover
We'd have to hear more about the concept to give an answer to that, but based on what I see here...most likely: "Custom" movesets for different Pokemon that aren't summarized in a single rule (e.g. Cross Evolution or Inheritance) sounds moreso like Pet Mod territory.

Has tier shift been put forward/submitted yet this gen (and would I be able to submit it if it has not)?
It hasn't been submitted yet this gen, but just a preface that it would probably need some changes during the submissions process before getting approved (regardless of who submits it). After reading through and following the submission guidelines, you're free to give it a try.

Last edited:
Heyo! Returning from a few years ago. Since the subforum gets resetted every new gen does my old posts here still count for the 20 posts to be allowed to submit an OM or do I need to make 20 more new posts in the new subforum? Thanks!

UT

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Heyo! Returning from a few years ago. Since the subforum gets resetted every new gen does my old posts here still count for the 20 posts to be allowed to submit an OM or do I need to make 20 more new posts in the new subforum? Thanks!
Oldgen forums still count; obviously take your time in the workshop and make sure you’re happy with the idea, but no you don’t need 20 new posts.

Tea Guzzler

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Why is Consistency Mons rejected? It seems like an intersting idea
the main issue is that nobody would realistically want to play it; there's no real reason to when the differences to standard tiers are so minor, and "its just OU but with an extra rule or two" doesn't make for a good OM. there's also the consideration that all of the different forms of RNG need to be accounted for (accuracy, rolls, secondary effects, crits, speedties, metronome, multihit moves, etc), creating an overly-complex, hard to code, unintuitive format.

Not a question but just letting the AAA council know that the dex page has an inaccuracy with regards to stakeout (most listed under ability restrictions). Aside from that the page is pretty spick and span - discounting hariyama not being legal but I understand that changing the dex takes time.

1684428577917.png

UT

Appeals + C&C Lead
Not a question but just letting the AAA council know that the dex page has an inaccuracy with regards to stakeout (most listed under ability restrictions). Aside from that the page is pretty spick and span - discounting hariyama not being legal but I understand that changing the dex takes time.

Fixed that, thanks for pointing it out!

Why won't booster energy work in trademarked?

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: calmmind
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

That was the set I used, an booster didn't activate when I switched in

Tea Guzzler

Why won't booster energy work in trademarked?

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: calmmind
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute

That was the set I used, an booster didn't activate when I switched in
you've removed quark drive, which is what booster activates; having a move in the ability slot replaces the ability. as-is, booster has nothing to activate on this set.

Marce

formerly Trostani
Is there someone I can talk to for help with taking over an older metagame? It hasn't had a leader for a long time afaik and I'd like to bring it into Gen 9, but I'm not too sure where to start or how people usually go about it.

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
It is the same rules that new formats have, but if the previous people in charge are still active you should ask them first if the format existed in gen 8 in case they are planning to bring it back themselves, otherwise just go to the workshop and then to the submission subforum if you think it could get approved.

If I'd like to propose an OM/Pet Mod (basically on the line between the two) that covers a wider variety of Pokémon than the Gen 9 dex allows, where should I go?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)