Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

So I've got a second playthrough I've been doing with Violet, and I only have an individual online account so for this run I can't join online raids.

Even though I've completed the game and can get 6 star raids, it doesn't seem to be generating the current event raid (Chestnaught). Is there something special I need to do to get access to event raids? My google searches just tell me to make sure my date/time are correct, which they are.

So I've got a second playthrough I've been doing with Violet, and I only have an individual online account so for this run I can't join online raids.

Even though I've completed the game and can get 6 star raids, it doesn't seem to be generating the current event raid (Chestnaught). Is there something special I need to do to get access to event raids? My google searches just tell me to make sure my date/time are correct, which they are.
Have you actually gone and got the raid data from the Poke Portal? Also for that matter, have you actually done a 6 star on that file? Because you need to actually win a 6 star to actually do 7 star, Jaq will call you again after you do a 6 star.

Have you actually gone and got the raid data from the Poke Portal? Also for that matter, have you actually done a 6 star on that file? Because you need to actually win a 6 star to actually do 7 star, Jaq will call you again after you do a 6 star.
I've cleared a few 6 star raids and got the call from Jaq. I clicked around in the Portal but didn't notice anything that indicated the current raid event, perhaps I need to look again, although I may not get to it before the event ends at this point it will be good to know for the future.

I've cleared a few 6 star raids and got the call from Jaq. I clicked around in the Portal but didn't notice anything that indicated the current raid event, perhaps I need to look again, although I may not get to it before the event ends at this point it will be good to know for the future.
Are you seeing the Paradox raid events either?
And just to be sure, you did connect to the internet right?

Are you seeing the Paradox raid events either?
And just to be sure, you did connect to the internet right?
No, not getting the Paradox raids either.

My Switch is connected to the internet, but when I'm playing in this profile if I try to connect in game it wants me to log in to my Nintendo account (which is linked to my main account, single person, not paying for the "family plan"), so I'm not connecting in game (hope that makes sense).

I feel like this must be user error and I have to be missing something simple.

No, not getting the Paradox raids either.

My Switch is connected to the internet, but when I'm playing in this profile if I try to connect in game it wants me to log in to my Nintendo account (which is linked to my main account, single person, not paying for the "family plan"), so I'm not connecting in game (hope that makes sense).

I feel like this must be user error and I have to be missing something simple.
This is why, I imagine. You're not on the family plan, so you can't access the raids because you can't connect the game to the internet.

It's all very stupid, but it's just how it works on Switch.

You can still connect ingame to update the raids without NSO. Mystery Gift's connection menu is free and it has an option to Update Poke Portal News.

You can still connect ingame to update the raids without NSO. Mystery Gift's connection menu is free and it has an option to Update Poke Portal News.
Oh they changed that in SV? Because I remember trying that in my Sword secondary and it still required NSO

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
do the team star starmobiles take hazard damage when entering battle? or do they have a slightly different switching mechanic due to kind of already being on the field (visually)?
They're hurt by Stealth Rock and Spikes for some reason. Toxic Spikes does nothing because they're immune to Status Conditions (and most Status Moves including Leech Seed and Perish Song) and I have no idea if Sticky Web would work because I didn't try it, but I'm guessing no. It's weird that they're hurt by those moves because the only other Status Move I know that can do anything to them is Sandstorm...

For the record, Sandstorm is the only way I know of defeating them without attacking because they have infinite PP and can't be stalled until they use Struggle. They really wanted you to wreck their rides like a monster.

Oh they changed that in SV? Because I remember trying that in my Sword secondary and it still required NSO
From what I can tell as someone that doesn't have NSO, you never needed NSO to be able to get event raids but I did have to make a different Nintendo Account using an old e-mail for the other Switch Profile to go online though, so I think that's what the problem is.

Thanks guys, when I try to do anything in the Poke Portal it asks me to log in to my account. Maybe what I need to do is set up an account with an different email address so it will be linked to something, even if it's not the paid version if I want to do the event raids on both save files. Honestly not sure it's worth the effort, but it's good to know.

I've been back in the Home GTS mines following another rabbit hole and yadda yada yadda i wound up getting a Shiny Tornadus and one glance showed yeah its hacked. The suspiciously perfect spread, the flawless IVs, Level 100, shiny, the filled in marks that PK Hexers love to use, etc. OT literally ShinyDen.Com which I'm guessing is one of the goto generators

But the thing I found funny was the disparity between what is displayed in Home Mobile vs Switch
So in Mobile it says its ina Pokeball, has the SWSH origin mark, and was met in the Galar Region. But also the only game this thing has actually "touched" is SV so you can't switch modes at all.
But in Switch, if viewed while opening a SWSH file, this thing falls apart entirely. It's in a Love Ball with the Legends Mark and met in the Hisui region.

But wait there's more! If you go back into Home View or SV View, it now displays the Love Ball properly & brings back the SWSH mark/Galar Region origin

And I've just gotta know, maybe from someone who has dabbled in this stuff, how you mess up a Pokemon so bad it desynchs like this.

e: Even better, went back into Mobile to double check someting and actually Tornadus is displaying no ball at all there. The Pokeball was there as the default to display for the GTS animation.

e2: Alas, now that it touched Sword (was curious hwat the screens would say), the incongruity caught up to Home and now I can't trade it anymore. Still doesnt display a Pokeball, probably because it now properly displays the Legends mark but Legends doesnt have Love Balls.

e3: I GOT A SECOND ONE
From the same dang ShinyDen!
This one had the same problems, but was Therian form! But, out of curiosity, I tried trading it and it actually worked. Iguess so long as the game doesnt go "wait.....this doesnt make sense at all!" by touching another game it just goes through.

So lesson learned really is just keep your head down and keep pushing it around to other people

Funny thing is through different GTS trades I managed to get a another shiny Tornadus which...also might be hacked but like competently. Originates from Gen 6 (and has proper moveset data for Bank, SWSH & SV so its been around), has the proper location for Hoenn in the Sky, has a ball (Pokeball), seemingly normal stats (random Sp Atk, Def & HP IVs, perfect Atk/Sp Def/Spdd).... but I have to question the fact its still Level 50 despite having 3 Hall of Fame ribbons (XY, ORAS, Alola).
Whatever dude after the last 2 blunders I at least appreciate someone put in the proper effort to appear legit.

Last edited:
If I want to breed for PLA exclusives evolution (Ursaluna, H-Samurott), can I breed in SV, bring them to Hisui via Home, evolve them there and bring them back to SV? Are the IVs still intact? How about them egg moves? Are they tampered by transfer process?

If I want to breed for PLA exclusives evolution (Ursaluna, H-Samurott), can I breed in SV, bring them to Hisui via Home, evolve them there and bring them back to SV? Are the IVs still intact? How about them egg moves? Are they tampered by transfer process?
Yes, Yes, and Yes. They will be completely unchanged on the SV side afterwards, aside from evolving.
Small addendum: tecnically, if you make them learn new moves that they can learn in SV during their stay in Arceus, they should be able to relearn them when moving them from Home to SV again in the Home move relearned.
If you have spare money in Arceus and there's any move you can learn there that you want to "carry over" to SV, may as well teach it.

Where did the detail of Togepi's spines being toxic come from? As far as I can tell, the only instances of it being referenced in English are from the TCG, which is a weird place to introduce that kind of unintuitive lore.

Where did the detail of Togepi's spines being toxic come from? As far as I can tell, the only instances of it being referenced in English are from the TCG, which is a weird place to introduce that kind of unintuitive lore.
The beta of GS, where that exact dex entry is from.

"Why did the TCG card have" because it was a 1999 promo card from before the games came out during a period where they were still writing and rewriting the dex entries.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The beta of GS, where that exact dex entry is from.

"Why did the TCG card have" because it was a 1999 promo card from before the games came out during a period where they were still writing and rewriting the dex entries.
And yet oddly, when the first GF was released, while they did use the "happiness" lore about Togepi in the Dex entry box, it still used an attack called "Poison Barb" which Poisoned the Defending Pokemon.

And yet oddly, when the first GF was released, while they did use the "happiness" lore about Togepi in the Dex entry box, it still used an attack called "Poison Barb" which Poisoned the Defending Pokemon.
Neo Genesis, or " Gold, Silver, to a New World..." rather, released a few months after GS so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the set was sort of "locked in" for a while and even though its a tiny basic Pokemon who no one is ever going to really use they probably needed to stay committed to a colorless basic that poisoned you for a DCE for game design reasons where as it was trivial to update the dex entry (& considering the state of some of the Pokemon during 1999, probably the artwork).

If my Greninja learns Counter from Quaquaval in a picnic, is that move re-learnable by the move reminder? (this is in S/V)

Are Mirror Herb egg moves re-learnable as well?

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but it's best to be certain: in a double battle, if I use Perish Song on both foes the AI will eventually try to switch them both out on the last turn. If they can only switch out one of their Pokemon (because they only have one benched) is it random which one they switch? Or is it based on anything in particular - stat boosts, speed order, type advantages, position on the field etc?

Have a small question sort of brought on by how my brain wandered replying to the following, moving here since it became a question and doesn't relate to the Raid topic of the initial thread
Yeah Nest Ball would look good too

And yeah this is the first time the Galar starters have been capturable in other balls.
Gen 1-4 starters could be in Dream Balls iirc; the way the event worked I think it plopped them in the forest rather than just give them to you.
Kanto & Kalos starters were in the Friend Safari (so everything bar the Apricorn, Beast, Dream)
Alola's QR Scanner let you get all the gen 1-6 starters. SM had Johto & Unova, USUM had the rest. The apricorns & beast balls are available now
Galar's Raids had Kanto starters, Dynamax Adventures had Hoenn starters. All ball types available. The other starters were either not in SWSH (gens 2,4-6) or not in raids (7, 8).
BDSP had all the gen 1-4 starters in the Underground. The Apricorn balls were (japanese only, iirc) events so technically all the balls other than Dream & Beast were available. Technically.
LA's a little different but Decidueye, Samurott & Typhlosion were all available in the various balls from there, or the Strange Ball now

So right now it seems like Primarina and Incineroar are the only non-Paldean starters waiting for their chance at ball availability.
One thing to note: Dream World Pokemon could be in any Pokeball obtainable in Gen 5 if memory serves me. The Dream Ball would appear in your inventory during the encounter but you could use any Pokeball to catch them.

All 3 LA starters are available in any Ball the Originals are in, same to the base forms in Strange Ball I believe. I also believe the Sinnoh Starters are Strange Ball compatible as they appear in the Wild Hisuian Dex?

The long and short of this I want to ask: If I breed two Legends Arceus Parents in SV (so both in Strange/Hisuian Pokeballs), will the Offspring inherit the Hisuian Ball (probably only viewable in Home/Back Transfer), or a default Regular Pokeball? I ask because Bulbapedia says the original Pokeball's index is stored even if the Strange Ball itself cannot be inherited?

Have a small question sort of brought on by how my brain wandered replying to the following, moving here since it became a question and doesn't relate to the Raid topic of the initial thread
One thing to note: Dream World Pokemon could be in any Pokeball obtainable in Gen 5 if memory serves me. The Dream Ball would appear in your inventory during the encounter but you could use any Pokeball to catch them.

All 3 LA starters are available in any Ball the Originals are in, same to the base forms in Strange Ball I believe. I also believe the Sinnoh Starters are Strange Ball compatible as they appear in the Wild Hisuian Dex?

The long and short of this I want to ask: If I breed two Legends Arceus Parents in SV (so both in Strange/Hisuian Pokeballs), will the Offspring inherit the Hisuian Ball (probably only viewable in Home/Back Transfer), or a default Regular Pokeball? I ask because Bulbapedia says the original Pokeball's index is stored even if the Strange Ball itself cannot be inherited?
From when I was doing misc breeding Strange Ball (& thus, the Hisui Balls) can't be inherited, and all offspring from one will default to a Pokeball if it can't get a different ball off the other parent.

I actually didn't know that you could catch Pokemon in other balls in the Entree Link forest! Go figure. I don't think I've ever seen anyone catch them in anything other than the Dream Ball...and I definitely never bothered trying. All my dudes were in Dream Balls for the years I was harvesting Pokemon....

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Two questions, both out of morbid curiosity:
  • if a Pokemon were hacked to have the unused Cacophony ability and transferred through Pal Park (assuming that's possible and the transfer isn't blocked) what ability would it have upon capture in Gen IV?

• I understand that the leaked German debug copy of Pokemon Ruby has the ability to grant a Pokemon an unused and now-removed ribbon; if a Pokemon were to acquire this ribbon, could it pass all the way to the present titles and what would happen if it did? Would the ribbon simply be removed or would it cause some kind of glitch?

Two questions, both out of morbid curiosity:
  • if a Pokemon were hacked to have the unused Cacophony ability and transferred through Pal Park (assuming that's possible and the transfer isn't blocked) what ability would it have upon capture in Gen IV?
I believe that it would be like any hacked ability: it just resets it to whatever would be the default for that Pokemon. I think it's based specifically on personality value
I understand that the leaked German debug copy of Pokemon Ruby has the ability to grant a Pokemon an unused and now-removed ribbon; if a Pokemon were to acquire this ribbon, could it pass all the way to the present titles and what would happen if it did? Would the ribbon simply be removed or would it cause some kind of glitch?
I'm less sure how this works, I'm not even sure you can trade or do anything with the debug copy at all.
But I assume one of 3 things:
1. if the ribbon didn't even have an image, it's probably just scrubbed on transfer
2. if the ribbon did have an image, and only the text differed, then it's probably kept
3. If the ribbon had an image, it's possible it got overwritten by another ribbon and would likely kept the text. I know at least one of the unused gen 3/4 ribbons got replaced internally, I imagine that applied to others

e: OK I did a little more digging and might have an actual answer
If this is referring to the Mystery Event that awarded ribbons, then how those worked is it paired text with a Ribbon (Gen 3 had a lot of writable stuff like this, which is interesting). There were only 7 ribbons but a lot of different text it could assign to them. Gen 4 kept those ribbons, so if you hacked them in they should keep moving forward, but Gen 5 did indeed change some of the ribbons and their associated text. Marine Ribbon turned into the Battle Champion ribbon, for example.
Ironically some of the replacements were ALSO never used, but they not only still kick around the code they even give proper titles if you apply them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)