Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

So when I connect SV to my Switch, sometimes it takes upwards of 5 minutes for it to connect or even give the "could not find" message.

Is the process normally this slow or is there anything I can adjust like turning off the Internet connection or other devices?

So when I connect SV to my Switch, sometimes it takes upwards of 5 minutes for it to connect or even give the "could not find" message.

Is the process normally this slow or is there anything I can adjust like turning off the Internet connection or other devices?
When you say connect, do you eamn connect online?

Because it shouldn't be taking that long, no.

When you say connect, do you eamn connect online?

Because it shouldn't be taking that long, no.
Slip of the tongue, was trying to Connect Go to SV on my Switch for the Vivillion/Gimmighoul thing, resolved it, was in the wrong menu

I don't understand why, but my Huawei can connect to my Switch but not my Samsung, even if Bluetooth is on and authorizations are ontoo

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I just asked this in the dedicated thread and then immediately realised here was probably a better place since certain individuals like doipy hooves (hello) have access to the game's code: how are DVs calculated in the Crystal Battle Tower? Are they flat, random, etc?

I just asked this in the dedicated thread and then immediately realised here was probably a better place since certain individuals like doipy hooves (hello) have access to the game's code: how are DVs calculated in the Crystal Battle Tower? Are they flat, random, etc?
The sets are all preset in the code with no real pattern to it, mostly high but not perfect unlike future Frontiers.
https://github.com/pret/pokecrystal/blob/master/data/battle_tower/parties.asm
Since there's no scaling you can just refer to exact stat numbers from a spreadsheet like the one SadisticMystic has posted in the thread to use as reference.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Has anyone had a swarm spawn here? If so where is it? I have traveled up & down and all around the area marked here and I cannot find any bombirdier. I've triggered the message to show up while climbing down but there's just no Bombirdier anywhere. Even checked in the day time & at night. It's ridiculous.

Has anyone had a swarm spawn here? If so where is it? I have traveled up & down and all around the area marked here and I cannot find any bombirdier. I've triggered the message to show up while climbing down but there's just no Bombirdier anywhere. Even checked in the day time & at night. It's ridiculous.
I've had this happen a couple of times in other places and I think they're spawning inside the cliff. I once had a Swablu swarm where I only got about 20% of the spawns I expected but when I sent Quaquaval off to fight one near the cliff-face it went on to attack an unseen opponent through the wall. By angling the camera to clip through the wall I could see the little name bar that appears above wild mons but not the Swablu itself.

I've had this happen a couple of times in other places and I think they're spawning inside the cliff. I once had a Swablu swarm where I only got about 20% of the spawns I expected but when I sent Quaquaval off to fight one near the cliff-face it went on to attack an unseen opponent through the wall. By angling the camera to clip through the wall I could see the little name bar that appears above wild mons but not the Swablu itself.
Well I can't get the camera to clip in there, but judging by where the message showed up i think you have to be right and not only are they in the cliffside they're in a part of the cliff I can't even send a Pokemon into it.

R.I.P. i really liked Bombirdier's shiny.

QuentinQuonce

Just been prompted to wonder: if you trade in a Pokemon that knows Surf, can you skip the Celestic Town sequence in DP (and possibly BDSP)? Platinum added a roadblock outside Canalave City to ensure this can't be done, which leads me to think that this might have been the case.

I'll test it myself if no-one knows; my initial search hasn't yielded anything, but then again not everyone's obsessed by trivia/amused by sequence breaking as I am.

EDIT: Duh, brain fart. Of course, you can't access Hearthome Gym until after you've been given HM05 in DP. Never mind.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Just been prompted to wonder: if you trade in a Pokemon that knows Surf, can you skip the Celestic Town sequence in DP (and possibly BDSP)? Platinum added a roadblock outside Canalave City to ensure this can't be done, which leads me to think that this might have been the case.

I'll test it myself if no-one knows; my initial search hasn't yielded anything, but then again not everyone's obsessed by trivia/amused by sequence breaking as I am.
Can you even trade a Pokemon that knows an HM Move between games?

QuentinQuonce

Can you even trade a Pokemon that knows an HM Move between games?
Late response, but yes.

There's a few things you can do differently because of this:
  • Trading a Pokemon that knows Cut to RBY allows one to leave Cerulean City without visiting Bill, and also skip the SS Anne in its entirety. FRLG fixed the first scenario but not the second.
  • Trading a Pokemon that knows Dive allows the player to skip getting the HM from Steven in Mossdeep in RS, though he'll leave it on the table with his Beldum later on. Emerald fixed this, as did ORAS.
  • I've never actually tried, but I believe trading a Pokemon that knows Cut would allow one to skip the Farfetch'd sequence in Ilex Forest in GSC (and possibly HGSS as well).
It's arguable how much the latter two are really sequence breaking as opposed to just... bypassing stuff. Like, you can skip all sorts of stuff if you've traded a HM, like having to explore the Icefall Cave in FRLG or having to battle the Kimono Girls in GSC (HGSS forces you to collect HM03). But as far out-and-out sequence breaking, idk. Surprisingly hard to do without resorting to glitches.

QuentinQuonce

I have a couple of really niche (and actually, not that simple) questions today but here goes:

Can someone point me to a guide or list showing which IV combinations can and cannot be legal for stationary Pokemon in Gen III/IV? I've been doing a lot of GTS trading lately and received a couple of 6IV legendary Pokemon from earlier generations, which to the best of my knowledge shouldn't be possible. I know Smogon has a guide for specific IV and nature combinations yielding the best Hidden Powers but as good as it is it's limited and doesn't say what's not legal. Probably doesn't exist but I'm thinking of, say, a program you could enter a Pokemon's IVs into and it'd come back with "possible!" or "impossible!" Pokecheck seems not to exist anymore so idk if something else took its place.

(Of course, there's the Battle Tower glitch in RS and you can steal Pokemon from the Battle Factory in Emerald, but those obviously aren't legal methods, I'm asking specifically about natural IV spreads the game generates)

It hardly matters in the grand scheme of things since Bank and Home let them through regardless but it's mostly to satisfy my own curiosity.

I was just reminded of how Surfing Pikachu has its own overworld sprite in Gen I and II - however, to the best of my knowledge Surfing Pikachu was never made available in the Virtual Console releases, rendering that sprite inaccessible. This got me thinking about the other (very, very minor) things that are inaccessible in the Virtual Console titles:
  • The Pokeseer in Crystal has a special text for Pokemon met in events, including those received from the Stadium titles ("What!? Incredible! I don't how understand how, but it is incredible! You are special. I can't tell where you met it, but it was at level <level>. Am I good or what?"): since no Pokemon of this sort are obtainable in the Virtual Console release, this text cannot be seen
  • There are a few items only available from Stadium titles, like the Gorgeous Box
  • And also a few decorations: the Pikachu Bed, the Tentacool and Unown dolls, and the Gold and Silver trophies
  • The Japanese VC release of Crystal loses access to the Bluesky Mail and Mirage Mail as well as the Egg Ticket (doesn't affect me, but including it for completeness)
Anything else I'm missing? It seems to me that you could probably use arbitrary code execution to teach a Pikachu Surf, change a Pokemon's met location, and obtain the missing items - but I've only done very basic ACE in Gen II so it's not my area; if anyone knows more, I'd love to chat about it.

Ive breed a million clodsire trying to get 0 iv speed to no avail, so im wondering if someone can help me get one?

QuentinQuonce

I'm pretty sure any combination is legal? I've never heard of them having set IVs before.
In many cases for competitive Pokemon, using a Pokemon with the maximum in all IVs is either suboptimal or altogether impossible. A ubiquitous scenario would be when the Pokemon needs a specific Hidden Power type in order to obtain a very specific coverage move. Furthermore, a lower HP stat can sometimes reduce Stealth Rock damage taken or facilitate the creation of five Substitutes in a row with Leftovers recovery. As if to make things worse, some legendary Pokemon are unable to have certain IV spreads, making it even more difficult to find the right combination of IVs that are both legal with a certain nature and yield the desired type of Hidden Power. This article was created in order to facilitate the process of finding the right IV spread for your Pokemon, regardless of the nature or Hidden Power type you need. Note that only competitively useful combinations are given in the tables below.
Stationary encounters in Gen III/IV are calculated differently to others. Most of those were given out as gifts, but there are certain combinations that shouldn't be possible to obtain.

EDIT: From the thread linked:

A while back, I was wondering about IV checkers. The current standard is, as far as I know, Metalkid's, because it can use Rare Candy information to pin down the IVs more accurately. However, there's a lot more information out there that can help pin down IVs; Metalkid's also handles Hidden Power type, but perhaps the biggest source of information is the RNG. Pretty much anyone who's tried to make a Shoddy team with a legendary knows about the IV/Nature restrictions that the RNG places on them; for instance, you can't get a flawless Adamant Method 1 legendary (which is most of the non-event legendaries in the game). The same applies to other less interesting Pokémon, too, from flawless right down to awful IV sets, and can be used to narrow down the possible combinations of IVs.

Last edited:
The only gen 3/4 legends that had impossible IVs that I remember are the roaming ones in Gen 3
Yeah that sounds more correct, though I'm pretty sure that was just the FRLG Legendary Beasts (which you can just get from Colosseum if you want actual IVs) not Latias/Latios, Mesprit, or Cresselia .

Yeah that sounds more correct, though I'm pretty sure that was just the FRLG Legendary Beasts (which you can just get from Colosseum if you want actual IVs) not Latias/Latios, Mesprit, or Cresselia .
It affects the roaming Latias & Latios in Ruby & Sapphire as well

Emerald fixed this problem.

Can someone point me to a guide or list showing which IV combinations can and cannot be legal for stationary Pokemon in Gen III/IV? I've been doing a lot of GTS trading lately and received a couple of 6IV legendary Pokemon from earlier generations, which to the best of my knowledge shouldn't be possible. I know Smogon has a guide for specific IV and nature combinations yielding the best Hidden Powers but as good as it is it's limited and doesn't say what's not legal. Probably doesn't exist but I'm thinking of, say, a program you could enter a Pokemon's IVs into and it'd come back with "possible!" or "impossible!" Pokecheck seems not to exist anymore so idk if something else took its place.

(Of course, there's the Battle Tower glitch in RS and you can steal Pokemon from the Battle Factory in Emerald, but those obviously aren't legal methods, I'm asking specifically about natural IV spreads the game generates)

It hardly matters in the grand scheme of things since Bank and Home let them through regardless but it's mostly to satisfy my own curiosity.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dpp-hgss-method-1-j-k-iv-checker.71577/
http://shaym.in/apps/iv_checker

This IV checker is aware of the possible Method 1/J/K generated IVs. Apparently Shoddy Battle had this functionality once upon a time and im a blisy made a video on the topic a while ago.

I cannot find answers that are conclusive to my subject, and I am confused as I am currently on my 10,677 reset for shiny hunting. Any help? I am quite confused about intricacies of shiny chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)