Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

this is better suited for the SQSA thread...but it's 1/4096 (the shiny charm apparently doesnt work on the regi in SWSH)

Just because you go beyond 4096 encounters doesn't mean you're guaranteed one.

I'm asking this more as a possible critique about how _slowly_ many multihit moves animate, but when using a variable multihit move, does the game determine how many hits it will deal when the move is selected? How about ones with accuracy checks mid-attack (Triple Kick, Triple Axel, Population Bomb)? If it does determine the number of hits on selection, is the reason the game has to play out each hit individually (and slowly) because of HP reduction?

Bit of an odd question, but...
I pulled Sword out to go into my second file to unlock the Dark Tower, and that involves getting Kubfu happy and leveled and something I've noticed is....
A lot of Chanseys just out and about. Like the way SWSH spawns work its not too unusual to find rarer Pokemon since they spawn in more frequency but it's really stuck out to me for something that's meant to be a 2% spawn. Especially since the last endeavor, in my complete save file, had not very many show up at all

I guess my question is, since the game already kind of does things to help handle Kofu (the spots to get the happiness up, the ability to do the towers if you dont have kubfu anymore) does the game spawn more Chanseys with Kobfu so yo ucan level it up for the Tower run or I am just lucky.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
does the game spawn more Chanseys with Kobfu so yo ucan level it up for the Tower run or I am just lucky.
Eh, eh, I see what you did there! :psysly:
... Moving on. :smogduck:

Don't have an exact answer, but I found two guides which do suggest grinding Chansey with Kubfu if you want to go the leveling-up through battle route: Polygon & Tech Advisor. So if the article writer is writing from experience, it looks like they too found Chansey spawns common enough to suggest it as a viable option.

As you noted, if they didn't artificially increase the spawn rate during that moment in the game, the on-field spawns make it easy for rare Pokemon to spawn if you run around enough. Like one of my own instances of this is when I believe I was filling my Dex I was looking for a Rotom. They spawn naturally at the Lake of Outrage when it's raining or a thunderstorm, so I finally got a chance when it began raining there. After knocking out a few Golurk and Seismitoad to free up spawns a Rotom appeared. I caught it, but after I did a then spotted a few more Rotom have spawned. Like Chansey, they're a 2% spawn. I wondered if the game maybe spawns them in groups and at that moment in time my game rolled a Rotom spawn when there was a few spawn slots available and so filled them up with Rotom.

Reactions: R_N

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Is there a thread for capillotracted theories?
Hey look at that, I learned a new word today.

The "mysteries and conspiracies" thread is usually my go-to for obscure theories or idle musing but as it turns out there actually is a thread literally called "weird theories" (side note: scrolling back a few pages through the Orange Islands main section really does highlight how many junk threads get created and abandoned, it's hard for new ones to maintain that staying power)

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/weird-theories.3645760/

(side note: scrolling back a few pages through the Orange Islands main section really does highlight how many junk threads get created and abandoned, it's hard for new ones to maintain that staying power)
It may or may have something to do with trying to make threads about extremely stretched out scenarios for the sake of "not being just another favourite pokemon thread" that are either too niche to find interest, or too narrow/restrictive to have more than a few responses that aren't oneliners.

Ultimately this board and pokemon itself is many years old, pretty much all subjects of discussion have been exhausted in one of the megathreads by now...

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
It may or may have something to do with trying to make threads about extremely stretched out scenarios for the sake of "not being just another favourite pokemon thread" that are either too niche to find interest, or too narrow/restrictive to have more than a few responses that aren't oneliners.

Ultimately this board and pokemon itself is many years old, pretty much all subjects of discussion have been exhausted in one of the megathreads by now...
What choice timing, I'm literally about to post a new niche thread that could either be incredibly popular or sink like a stone

1685365370524.png

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hm, maybe it should be considered making a new sub-forum. Maybe taking the threads which have gotten 20+ pages and placing them in a "Popular Discussions" subforum (since each page has 25 posts, that would mean over 500 posts; enough where any back-and-fourth discussion that would bloat posts number would become a non-factor in determining the popularity of the thread). That way newer threads can have some more visibility (people will seek out the popular threads naturally so they don't have to "compete" for attention, meanwhile them being nested in a sub-forum will allow for the smaller threads to have a presence that idle eyes could quickly skim through to see if there's any they would be interested in reading & responding).

Hm, maybe it should be considered making a new sub-forum. Maybe taking the threads which have gotten 20+ pages and placing them in a "Popular Discussions" subforum (since each page has 25 posts, that would mean over 500 posts; enough where any back-and-fourth discussion that would bloat posts number would become a non-factor in determining the popularity of the thread). That way newer threads can have some more visibility (people will seek out the popular threads naturally so they don't have to "compete" for attention, meanwhile them being nested in a sub-forum will allow for the smaller threads to have a presence that idle eyes could quickly skim through to see if there's any they would be interested in reading & responding).
That won't solve the "problem", though. The popular threads aren't even enough to take a full page on the forum, even if you remove the let's just say 5 or 6 that are, there's still like 15 other threads viewable on page 1 that don't get traffic. They're perfectly visible, sometimes intermingled with the popular threads so you have to actively bypass them.

Also no one is going to go to a "small thread" quarantine zone, they're either just going to ignore it or they're going to just go to the subforum with all the popular threads.

It's just ultimately just how it goes. Not every thread can capture people for a long period of time, it's okay. It's not actually a problem

Is there no in-game tier list here for Sword & Shield?
no

Absurd number of pokemon + general ease of the game + lack of interest all lead to it not happening
This is also why a BDSP tier list didn't happen
A Legends Arceus tier list didnt happen just because the game's not really....something to truly tier just because of how it works

There is interest in a SV tier list but the person behind it is still working on getting it up.

So I've been doing a lot of GTS & Wonder Boxing while Home is still "hot" just to see what interesting stuff I get (and hey may as wel fill in some challenges) but I keep occasionally coming across Pokemon that just error out and won't get traded and I'mnot sure why.

The current culprints:
-A French Gumshoos
-A French Toxicroak
-A Galarian Linoone (this one is mine i literally caught & evolved it today)
-A fourth pokemon I actually can't find right now. I think it was either a Japanese Litten, a Magnemite, or a Starly I'd need to mess with the GTS more

The Pokemon near as I can tell don't have any issues with them, in fact most of these are things I recieved in Wonder Trade anyway.
-Gumshoos & Toxicroak (as do everyone else) have their default names, albeit in french
-Everyone is in a normal ball for them
-Normal moves
-No PKHex oddities like specific marks, OTs, Ribbons (in fact, none of them have ribbons), etc
-Again must stress I caught & evolved that Linoone today! It's literally mine! This was mere hours ago.

Like by all counts these appear to be entirely normal Pokemon. And the Error message doesnt tell me anything.

Do roaming Pokemon retain reduced HP across encounters in Gen III? I assume so, as Bublapedia states that they retain Status Conditions, but I would like to be sure.

Do roaming Pokemon retain reduced HP across encounters in Gen III? I assume so, as Bublapedia states that they retain Status Conditions, but I would like to be sure.
Yes, they retain both HP & Status. I've had to rely on it to catch the dang things. Hell I think there's still a half-dead Entei roaming around Kanto in my old LG copy.

Also
-A Galarian Linoone (this one is mine i literally caught & evolved it today)

-Again must stress I caught & evolved that Linoone today! It's literally mine! This was mere hours ago.

Like by all counts these appear to be entirely normal Pokemon. And the Error message doesnt tell me anything.
so i never got an answer to the rest, but here's the really weird thing about that Linoone. I swapped it out with another Linoone, no other changes other than it was a different one (so that is, its just a regular one i caught out in the wild but i had it from years ago) and THAT ONE could go on GTS.
utterly bizarre.

Yes, they retain both HP & Status. I've had to rely on it to catch the dang things. Hell I think there's still a half-dead Entei roaming around Kanto in my old LG copy.
Thank you so much! With that in mind, I will forgo forcing Block / Mean Look / Arena Trap / Magnet Pull / Shadow Tag into my in-game team for Pokémon Ruby Version.

Thank you so much! With that in mind, I will forgo forcing Block / Mean Look / Arena Trap / Magnet Pull / Shadow Tag into my in-game team for Pokémon Ruby Version.
Just as well, the only one of those that will really work is Shadow Tag. Block is on...not so great Pokemon who probably can't withstand the Lati, Magnet Pull wont work on it since its not a Steel Type, Arena Trap wont work because of Levitate and Mean Look is only really usable on Crobat who will probably not like tanking Latios' Psychics or Luster Purges
And no one wants to use Wobbuffet on their in-game team.

You also probably don't want to do any of this with Entei & Raikou in FRLG anyway, because they have Roar which just gets around all of this without a very specific set up and also due to a glitch instantly despawns them from your game forever.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
so i never got an answer to the rest, but here's the really weird thing about that Linoone. I swapped it out with another Linoone, no other changes other than it was a different one (so that is, its just a regular one i caught out in the wild but i had it from years ago) and THAT ONE could go on GTS.
utterly bizarre.
Hm, now that is odd. Same Trainer OT and ID? Level? Experience Amount? Stat numbers?

Trying to think of any info that is visually displayed that maybe unintentionally had something which could be considered "naughty" (like the number 69 shows up somewhere on the status screen).

Hm, now that is odd. Same Trainer OT and ID? Level? Experience Amount? Stat numbers?

Trying to think of any info that is visually displayed that maybe unintentionally had something which could be considered "naughty" (like the number 69 shows up somewhere on the status screen).
As I mentioned before, both were caught by me in the wild with no nicknames and no exp. And the levels were just, normal? I think the one I caught was level 44 (and was caught as a zigzgoon, i had just given it a rare candy) and the old one I caught was 60 or 65 (its traded at this point so its long since left my memory).

It DOES have 69 sp. def but....somehow I doubt the game puts a stopper on stats (or level) like that considering how deep you have to go look for it and how unitutive it is to figure out that's why. At the very least the 2 French pokemon don't have funny numbers.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It DOES have 69 sp. def but....somehow I doubt the game puts a stopper on stats (or level) like that considering how deep you have to go look for it and how unitutive it is to figure out that's why. At the very least the 2 French pokemon don't have funny numbers.
Would it be silly to suggest leveling it up so it's SpD is different and then seeing if you still can't trade it?

Would it be silly to suggest leveling it up so it's SpD is different and then seeing if you still can't trade it?
not completely, but I'm hesitant just because while it could be the silly number it could also be...anything that would be fixed by a level up.

Maybe I'll throw a vitamin at it next time I'm in Sword though. I guess it couldn't hut to at least try?

Incidentaly I pulled it back out and tried to put it on GTS but it still didn't work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)