np: ORAS UU Stage 7 - Turn It Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that zapdos is leaving 2 of my good teams are now rip and now gyarados Can run through the tier doing what it wants. crawdant is gonna be pretty hard use due to the fact conkeldurr dropped :(

The face of gyrados

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Told them all not to get attached to Zapdos when it fell. Told them it was too close to the cutoff to stay for too long.

They didn't believe me.

WHERE IS YOUR (BIRD) GOD NOW?!

Also dear god Celepass returns.
tbh i'm more upset about Sam's song choice than this but w/e

On topic: Celebi + Gyara makes for a strong Offensive core.

Celebi is incredibly versatile, should be a relevant addition to UU and I think it's going to be intriguing to see which set comes out as the most viable/popular out of all of the possible options. Personally I can't decide which one to try first, haha. I wasn't actually that surprised to see Celebi drop, because I hadn't seen it on practically any teams on OU ladder. Hopefully it spices up the UU metagame in a good way!

Sylveon could be a threat, but I feel like Florges is still a better option in most cases, especially if we're talking about CM sets. Specs Hyper Voice, obviously, is always going to be a great asset to Sylv in terms of its usage, but I don't see it being all that great. I may be wrong though we'll have to see.

Conk is a better Machamp, in my opinion. Though it doesn't have No Guard Dynamicpunch, Conk has a plethora of its own niches that make it scary in UU, all of which have been discussed. Two great abilities to play with, colorful movepool, solid bulk and a monstrous attack stat. Should be a good mon, can't wait to try it out.

Zapdos was ridiculously annoying to deal with on an opponent's squad and ridiculously resourceful to have on your own squad. It will be missed.

I think that Zapdos dropping really damaged stall. Maybe a Gyarados/Crawdaunt suspect test may happen because stall lost Zapdos and Amoongus (which checked both water wallbreakers). Quagsire is also gone which helps set up sweepers due to the lack of viable unaware users now (quagsire moves to OU). As for the new drops, I think that Sylveon may keep Gyarados/Crawdaunt in check due to hyper voice + pixilate, but I also think the metagame will become more offense-minded. Speaking of which, Celebi may find an offense role as a stealth rock/Nasty plot baton passer and Conkeldurr may find a role as a bulky attacker with Assault Vest. R.I.P Zapdos. I can't wait to try these new drops out.

Zygarde should come back to the UU tier. It should because the UU tier is pretty balanced now, and isn't overpowered as it was when it was first banned, kinda alike crawduant.
It has stuff like Sylveon Celebi Intimidate gyarados to wall and stuff like Fairies, Ice Types, or just hard hitters like Conkeldurr can hit it back. Zygarde wouldn't hurt the meta, it'd help get stuff like The physical fire types, other dragons, and can be used as a great revenge killer/ sweeper/ wallbreaker with access to Extreme speed, and set up with dragon dance. It's OU Usage is basically non existent so it's skills are going to waste when they can easily be used in UU!

Zygarde should come back to the UU tier. It should because the UU tier is pretty balanced now, and isn't overpowered as it was when it was first banned, kinda alike crawduant.
It has stuff like Sylveon Celebi Intimidate gyarados to wall and stuff like Fairies, Ice Types, or just hard hitters like Conkeldurr can hit it back. Zygarde wouldn't hurt the meta, it'd help get stuff like The physical fire types, other dragons, and can be used as a great revenge killer/ sweeper/ wallbreaker with access to Extreme speed, and set up with dragon dance. It's OU Usage is basically non existent so it's skills are going to waste when they can easily be used in UU!
Lol no, Zygarde still sets up on half of the meta and while a 4x weakness to ice helps it a little, PJab Conk basically kills everything that can beat Zygarde and Celebi hurts waters and can pass an SD to it.

Tldr; dont free Zygarde.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
If anything, I would like to re-suspect Mega Alakazam. The vote for it was extremely close back January 2015 and the meta has changed quite a bit since its absence, with bulky teams being the most popular and sometimes Mega Zam cannot break through some of the sturdiest walls in the tier. I don't see it being too much better than its base counterpart.

I think that Zapdos dropping really damaged stall. Maybe a Gyarados/Crawdaunt suspect test may happen because stall lost Zapdos and Amoongus (which checked both water wallbreakers). Quagsire is also gone which helps set up sweepers due to the lack of viable unaware users now (quagsire moves to OU). As for the new drops, I think that Sylveon may keep Gyarados/Crawdaunt in check due to hyper voice + pixilate, but I also think the metagame will become more offense-minded. Speaking of which, Celebi may find an offense role as a stealth rock/Nasty plot baton passer and Conkeldurr may find a role as a bulky attacker with Assault Vest. R.I.P Zapdos. I can't wait to try these new drops out.
Zapdos is quite a terrible crawdaunt/gyaracounter for stall given it can barely even switch in on daunt (the main offensive water type you have to worry about while building hard stall). Amoongus is also like 2hko'd by knock off or something silly. Mostly the same tools stall has always used to deal with these are still viable (tangrowth, chesnaught, roarcune for gyara/gatr, etc).

Super excited about spdef celebi for everything from stall to balance - perish song in particular is great for dealing with essentially all set up sweepers, especially cm roar cune, and it gets thunderwave + the ability to punish ground type switchins through its main stab. Plus it's a fairly reliable SR user which is nice.

Can we drop m-kazam victini thund-t and zygarde? I think UU needs more toys to play with :P I've seen many people 1500 and above on the ladder using teams that would never lose to these mons, too
not sure if sarcasm or not but zygarde actually does seem kinda fun

relevant to drops and stuff, zapdos was my main offensive defogger thing bar mence, does anybody have something good to replace big bird

Whilst it's cool to see Conk drop, it does meant that we'll see even less BandGuts Machamps, what with Durr generally doing the Guts gig better. And that makes me sad. ;_;

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nightingales said:
relevant to drops and stuff, zapdos was my main offensive defogger thing bar mence, does anybody have something good to replace big bird
I can see Crobat making a comeback as a Defog user now that Zapdos is gone. In the past, Zapdos was almost always the better choice for a Defog user over Crobat because of its better bulk and its multitude of coverage options. Even though Crobat has similar typing, resisting Fighting, Grass and Bug (4x!) as well as having two additional resistances in Poison and Fairy, it will definitely miss the Flying and Steel resistances. Also, Crobat doesn't match up as well vs UU's common hazard setters and can't deal with bulky waters, like Zapdos did; Crobat just can't offer this kind of role compression. However, what Crobat has going for it is, that it deals with Fairies better, acts as a fast pivot that outspeeds and threatens Zam, and has access to Taunt. Additionally, Crobat can deal with the new drops quite well: Bulky Bat is not 2HKOd by Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice and can switch into Conk and Celebi with relative safety (not sure how common Psychic STAB on Celebi will be). Of course, you will have to be wary of coverage moves like Psyshock and Thunder Punch, which can do some damage. I'm also excited to see how the offensive Sky Plate w/ Defog will do in the upcoming META; it threatens all of the recent drops and just lost a hard counter with Zapdos moving back to OU.

Overall, Crobat is definitely not the splashable Defog user that Zapdos was, but offers good utility, fast offensive prowess and a decent match up vs. the new drops.
However, I don't suggest to simply replace Zapdos with Crobat on your old teams though, that's not going to work @_@

Last edited:
I can see Crobat making a comeback as a Defog user now that Zapdos is gone. In the past, Zapdos was almost always the better choice for a Defog user over Crobat because of its better bulk and its multitude of coverage options. Even though Crobat has similar typing, resisting Fighting, Grass and Bug (4x!) as well as having two additional resistances in Poison and Fairy, it will definitely miss the Flying and Steel resistances. Also, Crobat doesn't match up as well vs UU's common hazard setters and can't deal with bulky waters, like Zapdos did; Crobat just can't offer this kind of role compression. However, what Crobat has going for it is, that it deals with Fairies better, acts as a fast pivot that outspeeds and threatens Zam, and has access to Taunt. Additionally, Crobat can deal with the new drops quite well: Bulky Bat is not 2HKOd by Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice and can switch into Conk and Celebi with relative safety (not sure how common Psychic STAB on Celebi will be). Of course, you will have to be wary of coverage moves like Psyshock and Thunder Punch, which can do some damage. I'm also excited to see how the offensive Sky Plate w/ Defog will do in the upcoming META; it threatens all of the recent drops and just lost a hard counter with Zapdos moving back to OU.

Overall, Crobat is definitely not the splashable Defog user that Zapdos was, but offers good utility, fast offensive prowess and a decent match up vs. the new drops.
However, I don't suggest to simply replace Zapdos with Crobat on your old teams though, that's not going to work @_@
I also think and argument can be made that A-CroBat can be batter since it's gained two new Pokemon that it can hard check and soft check in the forms of Conk and Sylv, respectively.

JK Crobat's too frail to take a Specs Hyper Voice.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
if you want to get the jump on people using celebi as their only cune answer

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam

Last edited:
if you want to get the jump on people using celebi as their only cune answer

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Bug]
Suicune learns Signal Beam...

I can see Cobalion becoming a lot better now. With Zapdos gone its other sets can be used more effectively. It can afford to drop Stone Edge for some other move, like Magnet Rise (letting it swap Shuca Berry for Leftovers, etc. and laugh at Mamoswine), Stealth Rock or Taunt. Its old utility set could come back into favour, too. I'm looking forward to what happens with Cobalion, tbh.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
currently looks really good, is also a great move to beat CM Reuniclus 1v1, here some calcs:
+1 252 SpA Suicune Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Celebi: 352-416 (87.1 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252 SpA Suicune Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 218-258 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Suicune Signal Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Crawdaunt: 206-244 (76.8 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
can really become a good move for Cune, this metagame I am always willing more :D

Coba is lured by Celb (lacking X-Sciss xD) and is checked by Conk too, I don't see a bigger rise of it, but Escavalier will shine rn, that Zap is gone and Celb and Sylv are more popular.

Last edited:

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Instead of talking about the drops themselves I thought I'd talk about some Pokemon affected by the changes.

Escavalier:
This Pokemon has been getting a lot more use recently, even before the tier shift, and for good reason. It's one of the safest switch-ins to Alakazam, checks or counters Cresselia, Reuniclus, Mega Sceptile, Hydreigon, Salamence, Mega Beedrill, and many other dangerous pokemon, can break certain defensive cores with Swords Dance, and can Pursuit trap the aforementioned Psychic-types, Mega Sceptile, and Mega Beedrill to give things like NP Infernape, Cobalion, and friendly Mega Sceptile an easier time. This is all well and good, but the tier shift really gives Escavalier its chance to shine. It's one of the best switch-ins to Sylveon in the tier, and pairs fantastically with Sylveon's cleric set as well. It's a solid Celebi check, comfortably switching into all non-HP Fire variants. Zapdos's departure gives Escavalier teams more breathing room since they no longer have to worry about the tier's best Electric-type easily coming in for free. I expect to see Escavalier become a staple on bulky teams and cores.

Cobalion:
Contrary to some opinions, I don't see this being better than in the pre-drop meta. While Zapdos leaving does give it a bit more room to run Stealth Rock or another utility move over Stone Edge (not to mention that Gyarados is still an important reason to run Stone Edge), that's one of the only changes that strongly benefits Cobalion. Celebi is a new check, although it is too early to tell if it will run the sets that deal with Cobalion the best (physdef and Life Orb Earth Power). Sylveon's entrance means Cobalion faces more competition as a Steel-type from Pokemon such as Escavalier that can more comfortably take on the Pixie thanks to higher special bulk and resisting Fairy. Although, one upside of that trend is that Cobalion is one of the best Escavalier counters, which means it is one of the best ways of breaking Escavalier/Sylveon cores, which will likely be very common. Overall the shift won't knock Cobalion down from its place as one of the best Pokemon in the tier, but it won't let it shine much more, either.

Hydreigon:
On the one hand, it's pretty hard to say Hydreigon didn't get worse from this shift. The classic Taunt + Roost set now has to worry about letting a potentially Specs-wearing Sylveon in for free, mandating an even stronger Fairy resist as a teammate than before. On the other hand, Hydreigon has a lot of tools at its disposal to help it adapt to the changes. Life Orb mixed sets with Iron Tail or Specs sets with Flash Cannon might make a resurgence in order to not be Sylveon-bait while still being effective against teams without the Pixie, allowing it to keep its place as one of the scariest wallbreakers against balance. However, being forced to give up Taunt on a lot of teams significantly reduces its efficiency, as it no longer functions as a check to bulky Water-types nor can it have both recovery and a way to harrass all of its defensive checks on the same set. Conkeldurr is a new offensive check as well, although not one likely to have a great impact on the dragon's viability. Overall Hydreigon did get worse, but it is too soon to tell whether it lost enough ground to lose its spot as one of the top three Pokemon in the tier.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think its also noteworthy to mention how much better Mega Beedrill is now. Between OHKOing the two most popular drops and being able to dent/uturn on conk Beedrill just gained a lot of viability especially when you consider how useful Sylveon and Celebi are in this meta and how well Beedrill punishes them. Also Sylveon and Conk love the kind of momentum that Bee can give them so thats a big plus as well. To be honest it will probably rise to A+ shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)