Movesets for 5 and 6 star raids?

Weak Armor has come in clutch for me against Mirror Armor Corviknight.

EDIT: Just caught a 3* Fairy Pachirisu that had no perfect IVs, which I think is a first for me. The pattern so far has always otherwise been "one fewer perfect IV than the star rating" (7 stars = 6 IVs, 6 stars = 5 IVs, etc). I've done a lot of raids and have almost always checked stats afterward. This is the only time I've noticed one not following that pattern.

Last edited:
Thought it was cute that the official website had a lot of similar builds https://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/pokemon-scarlet-and-pokemon-violet-tera-raid-battle-tips
They linked this page again for the Mewtwo raid and I noticed it got a lot of minor updates since then (archive for reference). It's kind of interesting what they changed so I will detail all the differences here.
1691513945316.png
1691513937809.png

A paragraph was corrected to mention that the 2-4 star raids are unlocked by obtaining specifically Gym Badges and not just any badges.

1691509443102.png
1691509439917.png

This Umbreon moveset image is completely different (left: new, right: old). The Umbreon now has Snarl over Screech, is in a Poke Ball instead of a Dusk Ball, is male instead of female, seems to have non-maxed EVs and a neutral nature, and the Y button info at the bottom has changed so that might be taken on a different patch.
1691510568739.png
1691510574768.png

The raid example shows a 5* Hatterene with Gengar instead of the Marill image from prerelease.

The current page has whole new sections for "Abilities" and "Held Items" and shows the same Umbreon. It explains about Ability Capsules and Patches as well with an example of Azumarill.
While a Pokémon’s Ability is important, it isn’t set in stone. Ability Capsules and Ability Patches allow a Pokémon you’ve already trained to switch its current Ability to another Ability its species can have. So, if you caught an Azumarill with great offensive stats but its Ability is Thick Fat, you could still maximize its damage output by using an Ability Capsule to change its Ability to Huge Power. Or, if your Azumarill is struggling to withstand a powerful Tera Pokémon’s Grass-type attacks, you could use an Ability Patch to switch its current Ability to a rare one—in this case, the abovementioned Sap Sipper. Ability Capsules can be purchased at Delibird Presents and Ability Patches can be earned by completing 5- or 6-star Tera Raid Battles.
1691510796460.png

Choosing the right item for your Pokémon to hold is another way to prepare for the ups and downs of a difficult Tera Raid Battle. Punching Gloves, Muscle Bands, and other attack-oriented items are a great fit for hard-hitting Pokémon such as Iron Hands, while Umbreon and other supportive Pokémon will benefit more from defensive items such as Light Clay or Sitrus Berries. Held items can be found throughout your adventures or bought at a Delibird Presents, each of which offers a different selection of items for sale. When in doubt, consider the role you want your Pokémon to play in battle and which held items are most likely to help achieve that goal.
I feel like suggesting Punching Glove and Muscle Band is just bad advice here and unfortunately this advice carries over later on in the example sets.

Another new section is the "Terastallizing" section and this one is actually pretty good info for players.
After a reaching a certain threshold, Tera Pokémon encountered in 3- to 7-star Tera Raid Battles will activate a Tera Shield that reduces all damage received and negates the effects of status moves. This shield can be broken with enough regular attack damage, but your Pokémon’s moves will be much more effective if it’s Terastallized. Once you’ve landed three attacks and activated your Tera Orb, remember to select moves that match your Pokémon’s Tera Type—there’s no better way to damage a Tera Shield!
Telling people that moves do more damage when tera'd and with a matching type is good info that should have been out there from the start.
1691513243288.png
1691513236772.png

In the Recommended Pokemon section, Iron Hands is now mentioned and has replaced Perrserker, and Toxapex is here too.

The movesets section has been revamped with abilities, held items, images, and types listed for all mons.
1691513356976.png
1691513366881.png

Azumarill stays the same and adds on Shell Bell and Huge Power to make sure you get the point. I'm not a fan of having Superpower here but it's relatively inoffensive.
1691513389404.png
1691513393016.png

The Umbreon set is made consistent with the previous screenshots.
1691513407990.png
1691513412000.png

Blissey loses Reflect for Helping Hand but keeps the Light Clay.
1691513430608.png
1691513435813.png

Garchomp is the same but gains Sitrus Berry and Sand Veil for some reason. This is the beginning of some questionable choices.
1691513575258.png
1691513921488.png

Toxapex and Iron Hands are new additions to replace Perrserker for good, and I have no idea what they were thinking here. Poison Barb and Punching Glove? Toxapex should be running Leftovers and Iron Hands has so many better options like Scope Lens or Big Root or really anything more than a 10% boost. At least the sets are fine but they never really touch on Toxapex's power of debuffs in the actual article, especially how the debuffs can bypass the shield.

1691513685253.png
1691513690132.png

Koraidon's set is the same but Miraidon takes Calm Mind over Taunt and pokemon.com suggests generic type boosting items. Personally I would at least suggested the Heat Rock or Terrain Extender for a generic helper option, or even just repeat Shell Bell. Miraidon should really consider the Throat Spray set though.

1691513794099.png
1691513799889.png

Lastly, the final screenshot shows the same Hatterene with Gengar to be consistent, while the original showed a random Cetitan and spoiled Iron Hands in the background.

Overall the new version has more details but I feel it could still be improved. I'm glad the pokemon.com team is out here improving old articles if they're going to try to help people out though.

questionable choices
I'm somewhat convinced that several of the questionable decisions regarding items are to availability.
It's items that are available earlier and cost much less to purchase, so more ideal for "starting out". Most of the actually good items require to have beaten the story and still cost over 20k to purchase which is quite significant as expense.
Same for say, Sand Veil on Garchomp, as starting out you're unlikely to have access to HA let alone Ability Patches.

I'm somewhat convinced that several of the questionable decisions regarding items are to availability.
It's items that are available earlier and cost much less to purchase, so more ideal for "starting out". Most of the actually good items require to have beaten the story and still cost over 20k to purchase which is quite significant as expense.
Same for say, Sand Veil on Garchomp, as starting out you're unlikely to have access to HA let alone Ability Patches.
If you're recommending something like Iron hands or the raidons, then you've beaten the entire game and probably have picked up several of the items just scattered around.

ALso the same article is actively recommending Ability Patches. Which....I mean...it doesnt get more "late game" than that.

Toxapex should be running Leftovers
Nobody should be using Leftovers in these raids. Probably one of the worst options you could go for tbh. Those extra seconds spent watching the item animation = time wasted for very little gain. You’re better off running other items like Covert Cloak, Sitrus Berry, etc.

Nobody should be using Leftovers in these raids. Probably one of the worst options you could go for tbh. Those extra seconds spent watching the item animation = time wasted for very little gain. You’re better off running other items like Covert Cloak, Sitrus Berry, etc.
If you know what you're doing to face no risk of death then I would agree, but in the context of a guide for new players, I think the main problem to address is surviving to not lose the majority of time from dying before making other speed optimizations. From experience with Azumarill solos Shell Bell wastes just as much time for less gain of healing 1HP with every Mud-Slap use that I would prefer to skip, but it still has enough time to win the rest of the fight afterwards.

Personally I would rather have a random's Toxapex taking Leftovers/Black Sludge rather than Poison Barb, but you could also probably just run Shell Bell instead which would yield the same amount of time loss after every attack but have more of an effect after full setup.

If you know what you're doing to face no risk of death then I would agree, but in the context of a guide for new players, I think the main problem to address is surviving to not lose the majority of time from dying before making other speed optimizations. From experience with Azumarill solos Shell Bell wastes just as much time for less gain of healing 1HP with every Mud-Slap use that I would prefer to skip, but it still has enough time to win the rest of the fight afterwards.

Personally I would rather have a random's Toxapex taking Leftovers/Black Sludge rather than Poison Barb, but you could also probably just run Shell Bell instead which would yield the same amount of time loss after every attack but have more of an effect after full setup.
I get what you’re saying, but not only is Shell Bell still faster because it only activates when you attack, not when using status moves or cheers, but when more and more people start using Leftovers, it becomes a hindrance. You’re stuck there each turn waiting for those leftovers animations to stop playing. For MP battles, Shell Bell also doesn’t stop everyone else on your team from acting for those few seconds, only yourself.

It was especially bad during the Rillaboom raid when someone (or more) had Leftovers that stacked time between the grassy terrain recovery and the leftovers recovery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)