Minor Meta Modifcations Metagame (aka M4) Development thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me Adrian I'm not quality control or anything but how on the Earth is Technician too much for Lucario if it doesn't have any good Technician boosted move on the physical set(Bullet Punch sucks because Lucario's niche is being a sweeper that shreks Thundurus and Talonflame with ExtremeSpeed) and special sets are still walled by a bunch of shit on stall(you need HP Steel for Sylveon, HP Ice for Zapdos and Latias, HP Electric for Gyarados, Slowbor and StallZardY, HP Flying for Chesnaught, Venusaur and Amoonguss and HP Ghost for Aegislash, Slowbro and Latias), while offense has something that takes its Vacuum Wave without even trying?

Reserving Diggersby and Rotom forms btw.
You could say the same thing about Scizor, but Scizor doesn't have great priority off of both of its attacking stats (neither of which is lacking and both of which have a +2 boosting move. Then it has all the other moves that make it viable; Bone Rush, Hidden Power, a really strong phazing move. It would be too much.

Reserving Kingdra
Kingdra has always been a bit forgotten as a Dragon dancer because of its main difference from other dragons is its tipping and while is type is amazing it has to face against Dragonite, MZard X, Gyarados and even Salamence and Haxorus when making a team, its main niche of being a Swift swim sweeper died soon in BW and never reached its potencial in XY because of the weather nerf, this gen it found the great Critdra set but still perished to the land of UU. But aside from its niches Kingdra always seemed like a more than solid DD and rain sweeper, it only missed the power and bulk it adversaries have, as well as better coverage or another move to help him stand out, so I present:

Stats: Atk and Sp.Atk+5, Hp+ 10
Movepool: Yawn, Hurricane( Both of them justified by the lore)
Hurricane is a but much imo, it's already the best special rain sweeper in OU. Remove it and I approve
Ledian
Stats : +10 Atk (35 => 45), +10 Spd (85 => 95) BST : 410
Ability : HA : Iron Fist => Pure Power.

45 Base Atk + Pure Power is somewhat equivalent to 130 Base Atk when fully invested. If it's too much, 35 Base Atk is equivalent to 118 Atk. Let's not forget that Ledian is x4 weak to SR, has a shitty typing in general, and that its best physical STAB options are Bug Bite, U Turn (Stealth Rock says hi) and Acrobatics. And it isn't tanking hits anytime soon with 55/50/110 defensive stats.
It also lacks any attack with more than 80 BP, as its only coverage moves are Drain Punch, Knock Off and the elemental punches.
It's still quite unviable, but at least it can actually do something instead of being a punching-bag.
QC Approved 2/2

You could say the same thing about Scizor, but Scizor doesn't have great priority off of both of its attacking stats (neither of which is lacking and both of which have a +2 boosting move. Then it has all the other moves that make it viable; Bone Rush, Hidden Power, a really strong phazing move. It would be too much.
Vacuum Wave is indeed great, but, as I said, offense has a lot of mons that can take it(all the genies, both Eons, Gengar, Charizard Y, Talonflame, Mega-Pinsir, Mega-Gardevoir, Mega-Medicham...), Bone Rush isn't covering much that Close Combat already isn't besides Aegislash(moreover, it needs 5 hits to be as strong as Close Combat), and it can't get around all of its counters(or even an appreciable portion of them) with Hidden Power.
Not even going to comment Circle Throw because it obviously sucks, what are you even going to phaze with something as frail as Lucario?

It's not going to do anything special on the physical side, but a special set benefits a ton from it. But I digress. This discussion is cluttering the thread.

Shuckle! [QC 0/2]

BST: 40 (+20) / 10 / 230 / 10 / 230 / 5
Abilities: No change
Movepool: +Taunt

Really needs the extra bulk to keep up with all the higher-powered stuff in this meta. Taunt plus Sticky Web makes it worth using over other SR leads like Garchomp and Landorus. Although it's really slow, it can run Mental Herb to block opposing Taunts and Taunt back. With only Sticky Web, its niche is/was very small because Sticky Web offense kinda sucks (especially here since there's so many flying/floating stuff Flygon/Moltres) because it does nothing to Stall and can be spinned/defogged away.

Sceptile
Typing: Grass
Abilities: Overgrow/Harvest (HA)
Stats: 70/95(+10)/65/110(+5)/85/125(+5)
Movepool: +Air Slash +Dark Pulse (or Shadow Ball)
Reasoning for Air Slash: "It agilely leaps about the branches of trees to strike." - Pokemon X Pokedex entry
Reasoning for Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball: Just to expand its special movepool. Not sure if I can come up with any flavor reasons other than that it lives in dark forests.

Last edited:
Sceptile
Abilities: Overgrow/Unburden (HA)
Stats: 70/95(+10)/65/105/85/120
Movepool: +Air Slash +Dark Pulse
Reasoning for Air Slash: "It agilely leaps about the branches of trees to strike." - Pokemon X Pokedex entry
I doubt it'd be very viable even after that tbh. Offenses the level of Diance, and not even the highest speed (m-manectric, m-aero, m-zam, scarf stuff, sand rush exca). Add on terrible defenses and not even that good of coverage (Grass is a pretty bad offensive type imo), and you don't exactly have a viable pokemon. Especially in this meta, where everything else gets a buff as well. Already top-tier sweepers such as Dragonite and Kingdra get buffs as well (I realize Scept/Nite/Kingdra aren't too comparable but just saying), pretty much making Sceptile irrelevant

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
I thought we were supposed to minorly buff Pokemon? Increasing Ledian's attack from 35 to the equivalent of 139 doesn't seem like a minor buff imo

I thought we were supposed to minorly buff Pokemon? Increasing Ledian's attack from 35 to the equivalent of 139 doesn't seem like a minor buff imo
I think the level of buff varies. We want to make more stuff viable in this metagame, and some pokemon need larger buffs to function.

Well obviously we would need to buff really bad mons more than already good ones to make sure they're (almost) on par with them. Ledian for example obviously needs an extremely large buff to be worth using. On the other hand, things like Dragonite or Kingdra only need slight buffs.

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well obviously we would need to buff really bad mons more than already good ones to make sure they're (almost) on par with them. Ledian for example obviously needs an extremely large buff to be worth using. On the other hand, things like Dragonite or Kingdra only need slight buffs.
This isn't my metagame, but a meta that is named "minor meta modification metagame" would try to modify OU in a minor way by buffing Pokemon with a defined niche in OU to be able to better fulfill that niche instead of buffing Pokemon that would never see use in OU into threats that now have to be prepared for. Obviously, Ledian will not be a massive threat, but massively buffing joke mons seems counter to the idea of minorly modifying a meta and eventually if we keep giving joke mons massive buffs, some of them will eventually begin to overshadow current OU Pokemon, making it harder for the meta to attract new fans.

However, as I stated earlier, this is Monte Christo's mod and not mine, so you should probably just ignore everything I just said and focus on making sure that both you and Monte like your submissions.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ehh, worth a shot:

Blaziken
Abilities: Blaze / Speed Boost Reckless
Stat changes: -5 SpAtk, + 10 Spe

No more OP Speed Boost. His Mega can still have it, but his normal form now gets Reckless as his HA. His two main STABs (HJK & Flare Blitz) are boosted by this ability. I also made a slight stat change. SpAtk got a slight nerf while speed was raised to the Base 90 Benchmark. It's not totally out there, since Swampert has a 535 BST and now Blaziken does too. This allows him to keep up with OU a bit while not being too crazy.

If this gets rejected I understand, but I thought that I would at least try.

Well, it's a powerful AND reliable STAB move(it wouldn't need to choose between power and reliability anymore:P)
But if it's rejected anyway:
Tornadus-T
Stats:79/100/90(+10)/110/90/123(+2)<-now outspeeds greninja
Abilities:Regenerator/Gale Wings
Move:(I'm thinking about adding Brave Bird... is it too much?)
Quoting my post from page 6
If QC doesn't like this one, I got another one:
Tornadus-T
Moves:+Roost +Brave Bird(maaaaybe, still not sure)

Quoting my post from page 6
If QC doesn't like this one, I got another one:
Tornadus-T
Moves:+Roost +Brave Bird(maaaaybe, still not sure)
I'm not QC, but Gale Wings Tornadus-T hits harder than Talonflame, is bulkier, and takes less damage from SR. It can also run mixed sets to get past its counters (Superpower, Focus Blast, Knock Off, Sludge Bomb, etc.)

Roost and Brave Bird seem better by comparison, but it's obviously up to the QCs.

Ehh, worth a shot:

Blaziken
Abilities: Blaze / Speed Boost Reckless
Stat changes: -5 SpAtk, + 10 Spe

No more OP Speed Boost. His Mega can still have it, but his normal form now gets Reckless as his HA. His two main STABs (HJK & Flare Blitz) are boosted by this ability. I also made a slight stat change. SpAtk got a slight nerf while speed was raised to the Base 90 Benchmark. It's not totally out there, since Swampert has a 535 BST and now Blaziken does too. This allows him to keep up with OU a bit while not being too crazy.

If this gets rejected I understand, but I thought that I would at least try.
Monte Cristo What's the call on debuffs? I'm assuming no but just wanted to check.

This isn't my metagame, but a meta that is named "minor meta modification metagame" would try to modify OU in a minor way by buffing Pokemon with a defined niche in OU to be able to better fulfill that niche instead of buffing Pokemon that would never see use in OU into threats that now have to be prepared for. Obviously, Ledian will not be a massive threat, but massively buffing joke mons seems counter to the idea of minorly modifying a meta and eventually if we keep giving joke mons massive buffs, some of them will eventually begin to overshadow current OU Pokemon, making it harder for the meta to attract new fans.

However, as I stated earlier, this is Monte Christo's mod and not mine, so you should probably just ignore everything I just said and focus on making sure that both you and Monte like your submissions.
This meta isn't named "minor pokémon buff" but "minor meta modification". Ledian is so irrelevant to OU that doubling its Attack (which isn't, indeed, a minor buff) is just a "minor modification" of the metagame, since its impact on OU is negligible. It's a great pokémon buff but only a minor meta modification.
At least, it's how I see things.

Anyway :

Togekiss :
Stats : +5 Def (95 => 100), +15 Spd (80 => 95)
Moves : + Moonblast.
Kiss's low speed prevented it from being effective in OU, and Moonblast gives it a better STAB to work with.

Clefable :
Stats : +10 Def (73 => 83)
Moves : Softboiled by level-up (no incompatibility with Unaware)
It's already an A+ rank mon, it doesn't need any big buff.

Diggersby

95/56/82/50/82/78 (+10 HP, +5 Def, +5 Sdef)
Ability: No change
Type: No change

gives better overall bulk to setup a Swords Dance

Gyarados
Stats: no change(Mega: No change)
Ability: no change(Mega: no change)
Movepool: +Crunch

finally a STAB for Mega Gyarados.

'
Couldn't find the original post I made but:
Seismitoad
Water / Ground
Stats: +10 HP +5 to Attack and Special Attack
Moves: +Recover +Waterfall
Ability: Gooey replaces Poison Touch.
Seismitoad always wanted a physical water STAB but never got one and for some reason it got an attack buff this gen so that's nice. Gooey is not only good for defensive seismitoad which can be very good, but also for flavor since its a frog. Also the frog always wanted recovery so yeah that's that. Tagging Monte Cristo Adrian Marin Peef Rimgar because qc has gotten a tad lazy :P

Walrein:
Water / Ice
Stats: +20 HP
Abilities: Ice Body becomes Filter because the fat is stopping a lot of hits as seen with thick fat.
Moves: +Wish (from Vaporeon) +Scald
Walrein now becomes more annoying with the ability to pass very large wishes and now get stall to fish for burns. I was gonna out fur coat but that would be a tad overpowered. Having filter is very good while not being a step up from thick fat due to the nerf.

Last edited:
'
Seismitoad
Water / Ground
Seismitoad always wanted a physical water STAB but never got one and for some reason it got an attack buff this gen so that's nice. Gooey is not only good for defensive seismitoad which can be very good, but also for flavor since its a frog. Also the frog always wanted recovery so yeah that's that. Tagging Monte Cristo Adrian Marin Peef Rimgar because qc has gotten a tad lazy :P
Also reserving Walrein.
QC Approved 1/2
Diggersby

Gyarados

Crunch STAB narrows down Mega Gyarados's best counters to almost nil.

QC Rejected 1/2 (Gyarados)

Not sure about Diggersby, it has staggeringly good wallbreaking power. Perhaps the buff to bulk is a little much. Monte Cristo Peef Rimgar

This meta isn't named "minor pokémon buff" but "minor meta modification". Ledian is so irrelevant to OU that doubling its Attack (which isn't, indeed, a minor buff) is just a "minor modification" of the metagame, since its impact on OU is negligible. It's a great pokémon buff but only a minor meta modification.

Anyway :

Togekiss :
Kiss's low speed prevented it from being effective in OU, and Moonblast gives it a better STAB to work with.

Clefable :
Both QC Approved 1/2

Last edited:

Shuckle! [QC 0/2]

Really needs the extra bulk to keep up with all the higher-powered stuff in this meta. Taunt plus Sticky Web makes it worth using over other SR leads like Garchomp and Landorus. Although it's really slow, it can run Mental Herb to block opposing Taunts and Taunt back. With only Sticky Web, its niche is/was very small because Sticky Web offense kinda sucks (especially here since there's so many flying/floating stuff Flygon/Moltres) because it does nothing to Stall and can be spinned/defogged away.
As much as I hate to say this, too balky and Taunt does not fit it flavorwise. QC Rejected 1/2
Sceptile
Reasoning for Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball: Just to expand its special movepool. Not sure if I can come up with any flavor reasons other than that it lives in dark forests.
QC Approved 1/2 Dark Pulse is better.

Walrein:
Water / Ice
Abilities: Ice Body becomes Filter because the fat is stopping a lot of hits as seen with thick fat.
Walrein now becomes more annoying with the ability to pass very large wishes and now get stall to fish for burns. I was gonna out fur coat but that would be a tad overpowered. Having filter is very good while not being a step up from thick fat due to the nerf.
Really cool. QC Approved 1/2

EDIT: Did not mean to double post.

Prepare for a wall of quotes:
Diggersby

Gyarados

QC Rejected 2/2 for both. Gyara now can't get countered and Diggersby is just too bulky with it's already existing wallbreaking power.

Anyway :

Togekiss :

Clefable :
Both QC Approved 2/2
'
Seismitoad
Water / Ground

Walrein:
Water / Ice
Rejected because you called me lazy
Seismitoad doesn't get waterfall? Both approved 2/2
Sceptile
QC Approved 2/2

Shuckle! [QC 0/2]

We already can't fuckle with shuckle, this may be a bit much. Rejected 2/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)