Format Discussion Metronome Battle

As an addendum to my notes on Ogerpon, it is still pretty limited with its Embody Aspect abilities only being usable by its forms, but holding a mask on the relevant form does give a 20% damage boost to all moves which is not too bad.

The usage stats for September's half of DLC1 are here, and note that this is only for the time period since the release of the DLC, but I think an overview will still provide some interesting insight on how DLC has affected the meta. I will probably make a followup post when the full stats are out like Crown Tundra in October 2020, and that only had 9 days worth of stats to go off of.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2023-09-DLC1/gen9metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2023-09-DLC1/moveset/gen9metronomebattle-1630.txt

Since this is only half a month, the battle count of 35340 is still pretty solid but also coming off of some new hype from the DLC.

1630 Top 10 + last month positions:
#1: Mega Venusaur (#5) :venusaur-mega:
#2: Ting-Lu (#3) :ting-lu:
#3: Mega Heracross (#1) :heracross-mega:
#4: Mega Ampharos (no change) :ampharos-mega:
#5: Blissey (#2) :blissey:
#6: Mega Gengar (#9) :gengar-mega:
#7: Dusclops (no change) :dusclops:
#8: Mega Slowbro (no change) :slowbro-mega:
#9: Mega Sableye (#12) :sableye-mega:
#10: Wishiwashi-School (#30) :wishiwashi-school:

As observed, Mega Venusaur has benefited hugely from Toxic Chain's presence with its natural immunity, protective abilities, and is also just a good user of it. This has put it back into #1 with Ting-Lu at its side, both surging back above 10000 raw uses, though Mega Venusaur is almost at 20000. While I've been seeing a lot of talk of this combo in the thread, I haven't been on the ladder much so I found it interesting that Mega Venusaur favours Toxic Chain and Ting-Lu is more of the designated Flower Veil setter instead of doubling up on Toxic Chain, with both also majorly using Mirror Herb for raw stats now. I guess it goes to show that Venusaur is in such a good position in this meta that it can break out of its typical role as a Flower Veil supporter or Weakness Policy fisher and can just go for broke as the lead of the team.

After its standout dark horse performance last month, Wishiwashi-School continues making major moves to step into the top 10 for the first time ever with only 836 raw uses, though it remains to be seen if the hype will carry over to the full September stats. It seems to tend towards Pickup/Mirror Herb and has no sign of Toxic Chain usage. New faces like Ursaluna-Bloodmoon (mainly Ice Scales) and Ogerpon-Hearthflame (mainly Intrepid Sword/Mask) are also hanging around the top 20 at #13 and #17 in the 1100 uses range, though the other DLC additions haven't made as much fanfare. One more dark horse I want to mention is Garganacl at #19 with 579 uses as a mon that we haven't seen much talk about at all, but seems to have found decent success with the typical Toxic Chain/Mirror Herb strategy that we'll be seeing a lot of in these stats, with a Dusclops partner.

For some reason Toxic Chain seems to show up as Illuminate in the moveset files, and this is pretty clear when you see the abundance of "Illuminate" within the top 10 mons in particular. Even Flower Veil on Mega Venusaur has been overtaken by both Toxic Chain and Magic Bounce, but in general it seems like Toxic Chain has definitely become a splashable option much like Opportunist once was, though not as prevalent on everything that prefers other options like hyper offensive mons. Bulky mons like Dusclops and Slowbro seem to particularly appreciate a more reliable wincon to take advantage of their ability to outlive opponents (though it's a double-edged sword to make them easier to whittle down as well), and we can also see the adaptation of a few niche counters with small percentages of PSN Cure Berry and Pastel Veil (blocks poison for both active mons) starting to emerge on some mons, with Iron Hands actually having leading usage on Pastel Veil.

As for viability ceilings (highest GXEs of users using a certain Pokemon), Blissey takes the sole lead with 80, with Mega Venusaur, Mega Heracross, Necturna (mainly Thick Fat), and Chansey (divided between Imposter and Innards Out) following closely behind at 79. Next up for 78 are Mega Altaria (Pixilate/Altarianite) and Tyranitar who runs Magic Bounce/Covert Cloak, which is notable because Covert Cloak doesn't seem to have become the primary item on most other mons like I expected, and Mirror Herb has actually been rising up a lot instead, with noticeable gain on the likes of Heracross and Ampharos who would usually just go with their Choice items before. Wishiwashi and Sableye have also mainly become Mirror Herbers, though Covert Cloak has surpassed Sablenite on Sableye at least.

Lastly with 77 we have Ting-Lu to complete the duo, Mega Gengar (Competitive and Magic Bounce), Mega Slowbro, Mega Abomasnow (mainly Refrigerate/Pickup), and Dondozo. While Dondozo seems to be going the Magic Guard counter route, Slowbro has mostly Toxic Chain usage, but something that caught my eye was that Slowbro has a fair amount of 30% usage with Merciless (the ability that guarantees critical hits on a poisoned target), which is probably a lot more reliable to activate these days thanks to Toxic Chain though it might be overkill in that case. The only other mon to make use of this ability seems to be 0.406% of Mega Pinsir, so I just thought that this was a funny combo that nobody has really brought up yet.

Overall Toxic Chain seems to be shaping the meta in a new direction with its splashability and powerful effect that can really accelerate the pace of games with its practically 5-turn death countdown, but compared to the similar impact of Opportunist I would say there are more varied ways to play around poison (though most combos still combine both the plague and protection that end up cancelling out in dittos), and it's hard to judge the impact of an ability when it comes down to a random proc in battle.

I will share some tech soon, but I agree, if you desperately want to avoid getting poisoned, just using a poison type pokemon (Mega-Venusaur for example) is way better as it still allows the usage of tera ghost, which hasn't diminished in worth that much.

I think Pastel Veil is underrated rn, it protects the entire team from poison using just one ability slot, and has no caveats on what type your pokemon are so you are free to use ghost types (unlike flower veil)

Edit: i just wanted to mention i still think Toxic Chain is overly restrictive and a matchup fish. It's easy to completely neutralize the ability, but it always comes at the cost of your matchup into non toxic chain teams. Forming a rock paper scissors dynamic of Toxic chain team > standard team before toxic chain released > toxic chain proof team > toxic chain team

Last edited:
I've been using a silly normalize set with tera normal ursaluna(the hisui one), with the thought that toxic chain will clean up ghost types, and its SUPER inconsistent with winning games. The special attack beatdown set I ran the other times won way more games, and even with tchain machups didn't get poisoned too much

How do we feel about being classified as a "Randomized Format" now in the updated Showdown interface? In a sense we are the exact opposite of random battles. You have control of your teambuilding choices, but minimal control of in-battle decisions. In randbats you have no control over teambuilding choices and full control of in-battle decisions.

How do we feel about being classified as a "Randomized Format" now in the updated Showdown interface? In a sense we are the exact opposite of random battles. You have control of your teambuilding choices, but minimal control of in-battle decisions. In randbats you have no control over teambuilding choices and full control of in-battle decisions.
Imo it's better than having its own "Metronome Battle" section lol

you guys are in the randbats subforum and we get plenty of metronome questions in the rands room as well, it seems alright to me

I think Mega Venusaur is the perfect pokemon in this meta.
I wanna experiment more with what I think is a cool concept

Venusaur-Mega @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Friend Guard
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature

It's kind of the renaissance of the stall sets I've seen sometimes, but good
Like poison typing means you're pretty much free to hard stall cuz burns are way less common
Leppa berry means you win hard the Blisseymorph MU
Double Friend Guard means Mega Heracross 100BP Fighting Stab does 20% max which is ridiculous (Although you can replace it with Chain if you want to be more proactive, which is probably better but makes the mirror/Tera Poison MUs worse, something I think is worth at least exploring)
Tera Ghost is great although you should usually do it only if you know they're not Chain, I see way too many Venusaur on the ladder Tera-ing early and get poisoned
And 0 Speed EV + Quiet Nature means you get outsped by anything invested, which I think is the play when building Stall duos, although it's maybe not necessary if you're running Leppa

I've been using a silly normalize set with tera normal ursaluna(the hisui one), with the thought that toxic chain will clean up ghost types, and its SUPER inconsistent with winning games. The special attack beatdown set I ran the other times won way more games, and even with tchain matchups didn't get poisoned too much
as an addendum on this, a bulky toxic chainer replaced with the mega gengar i'd been using spiked my winrate, just because of the sheer amount of hits per game going up, and normalize ursaluna hits anything that isn't ghost for almost 100% per physical hit. It's wild how much damage it does tbh

Happy November! As the final DLC for SV approaches just next month, things will be shaking up again soon. In this season of remembrance, perhaps we should enjoy this short period of time that this current meta exists in before we proceed into the uncertain future, and someday we may look back on these days with nostalgia of our innocence not knowing what would come, for better or for worse.

First, I'll list out the top 10 for the whole of September compared to August just to be consistent and for comparison with October, since we only covered the time period since the DLC release last time. There were 63941 battles across the whole month, which is an overall rise.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2023-09/gen9metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2023-09/moveset/gen9metronomebattle-1630.txt

September 1630 Top 10 + last month (August) positions:
#1: Mega Venusaur (#5) :venusaur-mega:
#2: Ting-Lu (#3) :ting-lu:
#3: Mega Heracross (#1) :heracross-mega:
#5: Blissey (#2) :blissey:
#6: Mega Gengar (#9) :gengar-mega:
#7: Dusclops (no change) :dusclops:
#8: Mega Slowbro (no change) :slowbro-mega:
#9: Type: Null (#6) :type null:
#10: Mega Sableye (#12) :sableye-mega:

This is pretty similar to what we saw with the DLC, but Type: Null and Glastrier at 11 displaced Wishiwashi into 12th this time. Mega Venusaur hit 25274 raw usage.

Now we can get into the stats for October. There were 58334 battles this month, which is lower than overall September but is still rising back up from August and is pretty solid overall.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2023-10/gen9metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2023-10/moveset/gen9metronomebattle-1630.txt

October 1630 Top 10 + last month (September) positions:
#1: Mega Venusaur (no change) :venusaur-mega:
#2: Ting-Lu (no change) :ting-lu:
#3: Mega Heracross (no change) :heracross-mega:
#5: Blissey (no change) :blissey:
#6: Mega Gengar (no change) :gengar-mega:
#7: Mega Sableye (#10) :sableye-mega:
#8: Dusclops (#7) :dusclops:
#9: Mega Slowbro (#8) :slowbro-mega:
#10: Dragapult (#14) :dragapult:

Not much has changed in the top 10 as Venusaur accumulates more raw usage up to 28301 and has a weighted 51% usage rate to assert its dominance over the meta, likely thanks to all the toxic chaining going on. With its moveset stats listing Toxic Chain (listed as Illuminate), Magic Bounce, and Mirror Herb over the classic Flower Veil WP set, it's clear that Venusaur has truly changed its ways and Ting-Lu continues to handle the Flower Veil duties. Blissey, Gengar, Sableye, and Dragapult have gone up in raw usage as well, and Ting-Lu managed a higher weighted usage despite decreased raw usage. Even Sableye has turned to Toxic Chain/Mirror Herb sets just purely working off its type, while Merciless Slowbro continues to see use. Gengar is surprisingly using Good as Gold and Download mostly, without fear of poison, while Dragapult seems to favor Magic Guard these days as its first primary representation in the top 10.

As for dark horses, Wishiwashi-School (#16/663 uses) and Garganacl (#26/764 uses) are still hanging in there from last month continuing their Pickup and Toxic sets respectively, and Iron Hands is approaching back to the top 10 at #13/1617 just below Necturna, also on the Toxic Chain trend. Ogerpon hype has mostly dropped off, but Hearthflame is still hanging on at #48 with 829 uses, putting it below Shuckle at #45 with 2108 uses, which probably says more about Shuckle's performance. I noticed that Ursaluna-Bloodmoon (#29/1978) is actually beating out Ursaluna (#36/1337) with its Mind's Eye mixed potential with Normalium Z/Specs while base Ursaluna has also resorted to Toxic Chain. Also, Roaring Moon (#30/925) and Dipplin (#34/785) make surprisingly high appearances, with Roaring Moon using a raw power Sword/Band set paired with Dragapult while Dipplin is split between Toxic Chain/Flower Veil/Magic Guard but is always taking advantage of Eviolite. I actually forgot to mention Dipplin's debut last month but it definitely made itself noticed.

Looking through the moveset file, we can see that Toxic Chain and Mirror Herb continue to spread around inside and outside the meta, though some mons still hold out with classic strategies like Competitive/Defiant Mew and Aerilate attackers, as well as Pokestar UFO finding main success in being a Pastel Veil user. I also noticed Dondozo now going with the Comatose route to block poison over Magic Guard from last time.

For the top viability ceilings (highest GXE out of players that used that Pokemon), Heracross actually manages to cap this off at 80 with the usual hyper offense set. Following up for 79 are Venusaur, Ting-Lu, Mega Ampharos (also mainly Toxic Chain with some Magic Guard and Slowbro partner), and Guzzlord (mainly Fluffy and Lum Berry, with some notable Magic Bounce/Good as Gold/Weakness Policy usage). We've seen what Guzzlord has been capable of before with the Fur Coat suspect, and it seems it can still perform decently well even in a meta less friendly to bulky statboost. In 78 we have the surprising Normal type picks of Hisuian Zoroark (mainly Good as Gold/Scrappy and a huge mix of items) and Mega Lopunny working with similar Scrappy and Normalize sets, which probably pair with Silk Scarf but there's also significant Lopunnite usage. I guess with the trend of poison types going strong, raw power might be the way to go here.

To round off at 77, we have 7 mons tied here, with Imposter Blissey, Mega Gengar, Glastrier (mainly Delta Stream with Pokestar UFO, but UFO didn't make 77 itself so maybe Defiant/Primordial Sea/Simple took it away), Necturna with Thick Fat and Toxic Chain beating out Flower Veil, Innards Out Chansey now with an ability shield to do extra work, Arghonaut with Defiant/Compound Eyes/Flower Veil/Unaware going around, and Toxapex as another Toxic Chain staller with Bright Powder on top. It goes to show there's still a lot of different ideas going around even if the top appears stagnant. Thanks for your reading.

How come assault vest is still banned? Even hustle mhera doesn't really do a lot

252+ Atk Hustle Heracross-Mega Struggle vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ampharos-Mega: 90-106 (23.4 - 27.6%) -- 75.5% chance to 4HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Heracross-Mega Struggle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Type: Null: 59-70 (14.9 - 17.7%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Heracross-Mega Struggle vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Camerupt-Mega: 93-110 (27 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Heracross-Mega Struggle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ting-Lu: 73-86 (14.2 - 16.7%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Heracross-Mega Struggle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 73-87 (20 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

This is before abilities and items too

Eh I think people should be allowed to use anything if it's not broken but it's not like it makes an impact on the meta so whatever

In other news I wanna talk about a cool item, ability shield. It prevents the enemy from ignoring your ability with anything like mummy, mold breaker, skill swap, worry seed, entrainment etc, this has some nice uses for bulky teams. I made a cool team using this item that I wanna share

:type-null::dondozo:
Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Dondozo @ Ability Shield
Ability: Magic Guard
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metronome

This is a stall team that uses ability shield. Dondozo has really high bulk, magic guard makes it immune to indirect damage (the main damage in a lot of games) and aroma veil prevents it from being cheesed by taunt / torment. Ability shield makes dondozo really consistent at its role and really hard to take down except if you're a boosted special attacker.

I'm using dondozo over otherwise better physical walls (:type-null:, :ting-lu:, :slowbro-mega:, :venusaur-mega:) because it has a good typing, some of the highest physical bulk, and doesn't need eviolite so it can hold ability shield. Typing matters because dozo won't always tera, it's better to tera type: null if the other team has strong special attackers. Dondozo is tera fire because it provides the most resistances out of any tera type and also protects from burns, which don't damage but still halve his attack. Tera ghost is more for strong attackers who wanna live longer. That being said type: null is tera ghost because I didn't need anything specific from him. I don't need tera poison on type: null because toxic chain users get answered by dondozo anyways

Took this to top 100 on the ladder
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 11.19.44 AM.png

:Sableye-Mega: :Slowbro-Mega:
stitch (Sableye-Mega) (M) @ Clear Amulet
Ability: Pastel Veil
Tera Type: Poison
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome
hugs (Slowbro-Mega) (M) @ Clear Amulet
Ability: Ice Scales
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

I think stall teams like this one have to make a lose-lose trade in the builder: either you use Pastel Veil/other method to not lose to Toxic Chain, or you neglect the toxic chain matchup, using the freed up slots to get even bulkier into the heracross hyper offense that thrives at top ladder. Either way you will have a poor matchup into a common strategy.

As for mon selection, recent meta trends have been great for the ghost type as long as you have some other way to ensure poison immunity. Scrappy/Mind's Eye usage is down, as are the -ate abilities. Ice Scales Tera Ghost Mega Slowbro is one of the bulkiest mons achievable in this format without sacrificing an item slot via eviolite, or metronome PP via imposter :Blissey:. It also has pretty good attacking stats, especially special attack, helping it not be as passive as things like Eviolite :Type Null:. :Sableye-Mega: is the bulkiest natural ghost type, taking into account stats and typing.
Some final notes:
  • Speed. I see many people running slow mons without fully committing to 0 Evs 0 Ivs -Nature. This can backfire spectacularly in battles decided by Perish Song.
  • Clear Amulet. A vital item for bulky teams, as there are many more moves that lower defenses than raise them, and getting hit by one of those moves early almost always spells doom.
  • Male gendered. Some relevant mons like Necturna are gender locked to female, so locking yourself to male increases chances of infatuation in both directions. This is a double edged sword, but in general when running stall, you losing turns is much less harmful to you than your opponent losing turns. This also applies to why the only status this team guards against is poison. Burn is rare and only 6%, while paralysis, sleep, and freeze are actually net neutral to net positive, due to helping win games that come down to PP.​
Would love feedback on any improvements. I'm also interested if anybody has built non-ghost stall, such as with Mega-Venusaur, and how successful that has been.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)