I ranked all 171 type combinations

What is the order the types are in?

• Internal order (Normal, Fighting, Flying, Poison, Ground, Rock, Bug, Ghost, ect.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is really cool, even if I can understand the concept behind both yours and OP’s methodology. This version reminds me a lot of my comparative ranking for the single Types that I worked on at one point. The way I measured the Types, I looked at W-L-D (win-loss-draw) percentage and head-to-head matchups between any potential tiebreakers. Could I have your (and possibly OP’s) permission to work with these statistics you found? I want to see if I can use my methodology to find the best and worst dual types too.

Edit: I just noticed that me doing so would require me to have edit access, so scratch that request.
ok, i somehow glossed over your question on permision to use this. yes, you absolutely can, though keep in mind that it was created by a human in a rush during their free time at school, so it might have a few errors.
also, this applies to everyone.

Last edited:
I found some more orderings for the poll.

First is what I mentally use, level order in the main story of Conquest (with Fairy added at the end)
Normal
Fire
Grass
Water
Electric
Bug
Fighting
Psychic
Ground
Rock
Poison
Dark
Flying
Ghost
Ice
Steel
Dragon
(Fairy)

Next is the order used for resist berries and Natural Gift
(Normal)
Fire
Water
Electric
Grass
Ice
Fighting
Poison
Ground
Flying
Psychic
Bug
Rock
Ghost
Dragon
Dark
Steel
(Fairy)

There should also be an internal index number for types somewhere but I wasn't able to find it.

There should also be an internal index number for types somewhere but I wasn't able to find it.
The internal order is Normal Fighting Flying Poison Ground Rock Bug Ghost Steel Fire Water Electric Psychic Ice Dragon Dark Fairy (Stellar), mostly remembered as a remnant of separating physical and special types for the split, but it is still visually referenced in a few places like the Gen 3/4 Pokedex search options and Gen 8/9's order for type searching in the box, which is where Stellar can be seen as well.

I think the order Bulbapedia uses on their type chart is based on the order of types used for Hidden Power calculation with Normal and Fairy, the 2 types Hidden Power can't be, added to the start and the end respectively. I'm not sure if there's any other basis for this but I guess this is the closest you get to an internal order of the types.

Edit: PKHeX uses the same order, which I believe should correspond to the internal order in SV.

Last edited:
I have finished the tier list, and the first post is now updated with the new placements. Now I just have to color code it. If you want to see the sheet I used for this, it can be found here. I will be leaving the poll up, because it is good data to have.
A special thanks to:

Sage Fennel, for making this, which was instrumental in finding the data for this project.

faint, for giving me the great idea to color code this.

Candelia, for giving me the tools to color code this.

nick15, for making the tools to color code this.

Germaniac, for giving me resources that I was not smart enough to use, and for reviving the thread.

Ironmage, for giving me more options to put on the pole.

doipy hooves and Magic Mayhem Maiden, for giving me more options for the pole, unfortunately when I was almost done with this and couldn't use them.

The as of now 22 users who participated in my pole, (especially if you did more than clown on me).

Everyone who gave me feedback. Your input was great to hear. Don't ever let anyone tell you your opinions are not welcome.

And everyone who supported me on this. I am so happy when people enjoy things that I make, and while I absolutely would make this on my own, it would probably have been a project I left to die, like most of my other spreadsheets. I would not have started updating this again if I felt it was unwanted, despite the fact that, while it was a bit tedious, I enjoyed making this. Feel free to use this for anything you want, and have a fantastic day!

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
View attachment 604649
This is the Official Pokemon Type order (I remember this in USUM as well)

notably, Electric is before Grass
Of off immediate memory I can confirm this is the same type order that's used for the TM crafting menu in Scarlet & Violet, as well as in a number of spinoffs such as the Ranger trilogy (excluding Fairy in that instance since it didn't exist yet, of course). Something worth noting here is that for most Types in this order, their order placement may have been loosely based on their individual matchups against the others: every type from Fire (Type #2) to the Flying (Type (#10) as well as some others can be viewed as such.

Fire < Water < Electric < Grass < Ice < Fighting < Poison < Ground < Flying

Psychic < Bug < Rock, as well as Dark < Steel are also present in this pattern, but are interrupted by other type matchups placed in between them (Flying = Psychic and Rock = Ghost = Dragon respectively). Additionally, Steel > Fairy marks the first time this Type order has represented a backwards losing matchup, notable because if Steel and Fairy were to be swapped, you would get Dark < Fairy < Steel instead.

One last thing that doesn't relate to this discussion at all but I thought would be neat to mention: it goes without saying that "special Types" (not to be confused with the special move types prior to Gen 4) such as Gen 3's Shadow Pokémon on the GameCube and the Stellar Tera Type aren't being included in these rankings, but even if they were, both Types handled their internal identification much more differently compared to the "actual" Types. From what I can tell, Stellar does have internal identification in Scarlet & Violet as of the 3.0 update for The Indigo Disk, while Shadow predictably doesn't have anything to go off of outside of its GameCube appearances. As of the time I'm writing this post it remains to be seen if Stellar would ever be developed into a full-fledged 19th Type starting in future games, but so far I'm leaning towards no.

i would like to take a moment to rant about this website. the first thing is that you cannot copy and paste text, and have the font be the same. this is annoying exclusively for me, but it isnt a big deal, and i can kinda understand why it happens.

the second thing though

oh dear lord

the second thing is that aparently changing the color of the text adds to the character count

what the fuck

i talked with my dad, and he said it probobly had something to do with coding. esentially, some coding languages work kinda like this
print (color here, "text here")
so if you wanted to say "what the heck", you would need to type
print (black, "what the ")
print(red, "heck")
this still makes negative sense, why do you need a character limit on the code, but it makes slightly more sence.

Last edited:
ive finished color coding the list. i also used the data from the list to determine what types are the best to be paired with, on average. i did this by finding the average of all of a types rankings. here are the results.
1. Ground with 35
2. Ghost with 47
3. Fairy with 50
4. Fighting with 58
5. Water with 59
6. Steel with 60
7. Flying with 72
8. Psychic with 76
9. Bug with 92
10. Fire with 96
11. Dark with 99
12. Poison with 100
13. Dragon with 101
14. Ice with 105
15. Rock with 109
16. Electric with 111
17. Grass with 113
18. Normal with 130
attached is a pdf with more data

anyways, i think this will probably be the last update, at least until the next generation. this does not mean i will not be reading and possibly replying to anyones thoughts on this, as i definitely will. you can use anything i put in this thread for anything (exept to dox me). thats all. see ya.

Attachments

Last edited:
most special attackers with ice beam will run ice beam. it is fairly common.
eh, idk if that's true. Ice is simply not that great coverage on things without STAB on it; it hits a lot neutrally, and some key things super-effectively, but doesn't synergize well with a ton of things, enough so that most things with it won't run it actually. Out of all OU mons with ice beam, the only pokemon with a set with the move is Kyurem, which gets stab on it. Out of the entirety of the game, if you look at all the pokemon that reliably run ice beam that don't get stab on it, you begin to see a pattern: It's a lot of water-types, such as Inteleon or Milotic, or pokemon that viably run BoltBeam, like Arceus-Electric and Porygon-Z. Most other Pokemon that get Ice Beam simply have better options. In this aspect, I don't see how it's so different from, say, offensive psychic types running Focus Blast, other than the fact that there's a lot more and better offensive waters than offensive psychics. I think the confusion here is mistaking ice STAB for ice coverage. Ice STAB is incredibly useful because it's resisted by very little and hits key threats hard, i.e. meow and weavile in OU. Ice COVERAGE is not that useful because, while it does hit some key threats hard, it lacks power to back it up, meaning you don't just run it willy nilly without something in particular to hit.

eh, idk if that's true. Ice is simply not that great coverage on things without STAB on it; it hits a lot neutrally, and some key things super-effectively, but doesn't synergize well with a ton of things, enough so that most things with it won't run it actually. Out of all OU mons with ice beam, the only pokemon with a set with the move is Kyurem, which gets stab on it. Out of the entirety of the game, if you look at all the pokemon that reliably run ice beam that don't get stab on it, you begin to see a pattern: It's a lot of water-types, such as Inteleon or Milotic, or pokemon that viably run BoltBeam, like Arceus-Electric and Porygon-Z. Most other Pokemon that get Ice Beam simply have better options. In this aspect, I don't see how it's so different from, say, offensive psychic types running Focus Blast, other than the fact that there's a lot more and better offensive waters than offensive psychics. I think the confusion here is mistaking ice STAB for ice coverage. Ice STAB is incredibly useful because it's resisted by very little and hits key threats hard, i.e. meow and weavile in OU. Ice COVERAGE is not that useful because, while it does hit some key threats hard, it lacks power to back it up, meaning you don't just run it willy nilly without something in particular to hit.
ice synergises really well with ground, and is very frequently coverage. there is a reason ice fang is considered a useful move despite being a terrible move.

me and shroom god had a conversation, and i decided they are kind of right. ice is less prevelent than i thought. however, it will still be considered more than other types for the rankings. not that it was that much of a deciding factor in the first place, as it was mostly a tie breaker. i still think it is better than bug, as it is about as common, and half the time u turn is on an uninvested attack stat. shroom god has yet to respond on whether they will continue the debate, so i will update this post when they do. regardless, if you find you have something to add, ask me and i will invite you to the conversation. i started a conversation because i didnt want this to clog up the thread fyi.

Last edited:
A super effective Elemental Fang move does less damage than an non-resisted stab move of 90 or above base power which is why the fang moves are essentially never used as coverage unless there’s a 4x weak pokemon you specifically want to get past

I am unsure if a numerical approach to type viability rankings is the proper way to go forward. I would like to point to the typing of mono water as my example. A lack in a secondary stab means nothing when you have a decent start to begin with. Both Grass and Electric are on average some of the lowest value types, but both are regarded as useful because they hit water. Mono water hits not many type combinations for neutral, hitting roughly 24.5% of types not very effectively. However, grass and dragon are rare and low value defensive types, and the other type that lowers its value is water. Water has incredible value because while numerically it is poor, in context it is incredibly valuable

I am unsure if a numerical approach to type viability rankings is the proper way to go forward. I would like to point to the typing of mono water as my example. A lack in a secondary stab means nothing when you have a decent start to begin with. Both Grass and Electric are on average some of the lowest value types, but both are regarded as useful because they hit water. Mono water hits not many type combinations for neutral, hitting roughly 24.5% of types not very effectively. However, grass and dragon are rare and low value defensive types, and the other type that lowers its value is water. Water has incredible value because while numerically it is poor, in context it is incredibly valuable
I didn't really do a purely numerical ranking. water was that low, because having few weaknesses is not that useful if you don't have resistances as well. its pretty good defensively, but that is not enough to get it higher imo. its good, but there are a lot of good type combos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)