I ranked all 171 type combinations

What is the order the types are in?

• Internal order (Normal, Fighting, Flying, Poison, Ground, Rock, Bug, Ghost, ect.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I feel like you were looking a lot at the mathematics of how which types hit how many types and are hit by so many types whilst forgoing some important context. For example, you put pure grass very low on your list, it's the lowest mono type, probably because Grass is resisted by (I think) 7 types and is hit super effectively by 5 types. This is very important to note, however the fact that 3 of the types Grass is weak against are relatively rare (Poison, Bug and Flying) as coverage moves, the fact Grass resists Key offensive types like water and ground and hits those specific types super effectively is huge. Mono Grass should be at least in the upper half of this ranking

Similarly, Fire/Ground is absolutely not no 7. Like it's good offensively (albeit not so good to put it in the upper regions of this list due to its offensive prowess by itself) and definitely not this good defensively. Primal Don managed to utilize the typing immensely well due to its immunity to water, if this typing was so good defensively, defensive Camerupt with Solid Rock would be used a lot more
its pretty good defensively. ground is the only major threat, as water type moves are rarely coverage, and are therefor easy to play around.

Fire flying has two incredible stabs for offense and while it has 3 common weaknesses, the X4 rock weakness does hurt, it also has 6 resistances, including fairy, fighting and fire, and an immunity to ground. Numerous pokemon with the fire/flying type have been good, such as moltres, and this should be at least in the top half not the 4th worst type combo.
fire flying is pretty much forced to run boots, which isnt that big of a deal if your a sweeper, but very much so if your a wall. ho-oh only works because of regenerator. defense is the most important part of a type combination, beceause unless your fast and can hit hard, a bad defensive typing can comepletely cripple a mon. just look at avalugg.

fire flying is pretty much forced to run boots, which isnt that big of a deal if your a sweeper, but very much so if your a wall. ho-oh only works because of regenerator. defense is the most important part of a type combination, beceause unless your fast and can hit hard, a bad defensive typing can comepletely cripple a mon. just look at avalugg.
1. Fire/flying has good defensive utility because of its resistances like I mentioned in my original post. Bulky talonflame was a thing in gen 6 and took full advantage of its resistances.
2. Defense is not always the most important type of a combination. Crawdaunt is slow and frail but one of the reasons why it is a good pokemon is because its typing is good offensively and allows it to be a superb wall breaker. Mamoswine has some of the worst defensive typing in the game as it only resists poison and is immune to electric. This doesn't impede mamoswine in any meaningful way though because ice/ground typing is probably the best typing offensively and allows it to hit so many things super effecively

1. Fire/flying has good defensive utility because of its resistances like I mentioned in my original post. Bulky talonflame was a thing in gen 6 and took full advantage of its resistances.
2. Defense is not always the most important type of a combination. Crawdaunt is slow and frail but one of the reasons why it is a good pokemon is because its typing is good offensively and allows it to be a superb wall breaker. Mamoswine has some of the worst defensive typing in the game as it only resists poison and is immune to electric. This doesn't impede mamoswine in any meaningful way though because ice/ground typing is probably the best typing offensively and allows it to hit so many things super effecively
wallbreakers are generally less useful than sweepers and walls in higher formats. Cradaunt in particular takes advantage of adaptability and priority moves. and neither of the mon you mentioned are used in ou. the fact is that while fire flying can be benificial, if the pokemon dosent have the tools necesary to use it, it becomes a hinderince. rock ground is a powerful offensive typing, but if it cant outspeed things, that typing hinders it.

wallbreakers are generally less useful than sweepers and walls in higher formats. Cradaunt in particular takes advantage of adaptability and priority moves. and neither of the mon you mentioned are used in ou. the fact is that while fire flying can be benificial, if the pokemon dosent have the tools necesary to use it, it becomes a hinderince. rock ground is a powerful offensive typing, but if it cant outspeed things, that typing hinders it.
Wall breakers are less useful than sweepers and walls? Yeah, that's why dracovish got banned last gen and annihilape this gen. The only reason crawdaunt and mamoswine don't see usage in OU is because they aren't in gen 9. If they were, they would almost certainly see at least niche level usage like they did in previous gens. Also fire/flying types definitely do have the tools to take advantage of their typing. Moltres has fire blast and hurricane, both of which are high base power moves, to take advantage of its offensive potential and its typing enables to run bulkier support sets like it could run last gen.

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
think you might have actually jumped the shark here mate
You think that reply is jumping the shark but the horrible idea this thread spawned in my head to start a thread titled "I GAVE 171 TYPE COMBINATIONS A CHANCE TO WIN $171,000 IN A MASSIVE GAME OF HIDE AND SEEK!", change my profile picture to the MrBeast rap battle thumbnail, and change all my profile details to various jokes about MrBeast (including my custom title which I'm very proud of) is perfectly normal behaviour?

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Reminder for myself
Fire
Grass
Water
Normal
Electric
Bug
Ghost
Flying
Fighting
Psychic

Steel
Rock
Ground
Ice
Poison
Dark
Dragon

Fairy
1 Normal Ghost
Offensively, it hits for at least neutral damage on all but 7 pokemon in the game, only three of which are fully evolved. Defensively, it has three immunities. The one to fighting is amazing, the one to ghost is nice, and the one to normal lets it block some common attacks like rapid spin and fake out. It also has only one weakness, that being dark, which isn't that big of a deal.
2 Flying Steel
Offensively, it hits many pokemon for neutral damage. However, it might be the best defensive type in the game. It isn't weak to the trinity of fighting, ice, and ground, in fact, it is immune to ground. It is immune to two types, quad resists two types, and resists six types. Like all flying types, it is immune to most hazards, however unlike most flying types, it isn't weak to stealth rocks. To top it all off, it is immune to being poisoned.
3 Ghost Dark
Offensively, it hits a fair amount of things for neutral damage, and fighting hits all of what it can't hit for at least neutral, usually super effective. Defensively, it is only weak to one type, and it has three immunities, the fighting one being very important.
4 Ghost, Fairy
Offensively, it is only resisted by four pokemon, that being the Grafaiai and Pyroar lines, and hits a third of all pokemon for super effective damage. It has three immunities, one to fighting, and two weaknesses, only one of which is consistently a problem.
5 Ghost Steel
Offensively, only 23 pokemon resist it. Defensively, it is immune to three types, one being fighting, quad resists one type, and resists eight types, one being ice. It is immune to poison and resists stealth rocks. However, its four weaknesses, one of which being ground, holds it back.
6 Ground Fairy
Offensively, it hits almost half of all pokemon for super effective damage, while only resisted by 13 pokemon. Defensively, it is weak to Ice, but resists fighting and rock.
7 Fire Ground
Offensively, it is super effective against just under half of all pokemon, while only being resisted by 23 pokemon. Defensively, it is weak to ground, but not much else.
8 Flying Ground
Offensively, it hits half of all pokemon for super effective damage, while only being resisted by 17 mon, who are all weak to electric. Defensively, it is quad weak to ice, but is immune to ground and resists fighting, while ignoring most entry hazards.
9 Water Dragon
Offensively, only 14 pokemon resist it. Defensively, it is only weak to two types.
10 Ghost
Offensively, it hits many pokemon for neutral damage. Defensively, it has two immunities, one being fighting, while only having two weaknesses.
11 Steel Fairy
Offensively, its pretty decent. Defensively, it resists many types, including ice and rock, but is weak to ground.
12 Fire Steel
Offensively, it hits over a third of all pokemon for super effective damage. Defensively, it is weak to fighting, and quad weak to ground. This is a serious problem, and would normally be a death sentence, but this type has a few tricks up its sleeves. It has a whopping five quad resistances, one of which is to ice, and one immunity and four resistances in addition.
13 Fire Water
Offensively, it hits almost half the pokemon in the game for super effective damage. It isn't a slouch defensively either, as while it has a weakness to rock and ground, it quad resists three types, including ice.
14 Water Ground
Offensively, it hits a third of all pokemon for super effective damage. Defensively, it is only immune to grass, and resists stealth rocks.
15 Fighting Steel
Offensively, it hits a third of all pokemon for super effective damage, while only being resisted by 77 pokemon. Defensively, while it is weak to ground and fighting, it quad resists two types, one of which being rock, is immune to poison, and resists six types.
16 Ghost Fighting
Offensively, it hits 42% of all pokemon, while only being resisted by two pokemon. Defensively, it resists rock, and doesn't have any huge weaknesses.
17 Ghost Ice
Offensively, it hits 40% of pokemon for super effective damage, while only being resisted by 22 mon, who are all weak to fighting. Defensively, it is immune to fighting, resists ice, but is weak to stealth rocks.
18 Bug Steel
Offensively, it hits a third of all pokemon for super effective damage. Defensively, it is only weak to fire while resisting five types, including ice, and quad resisting one type.
19 Grass Steel
Offensively, it isn't anything to write home about. Defensively, it is weak to two types, one of which being fighting. It resists eight types, one of which is rock, quad resists one type, and is immune to one type. It is immune to poison.
20 Water Poison
Offensively, it hits a third of all pokemon for super effective damage, and only 28 pokemon resist it. Defensively, it resists eight types, including ice and fighting, but is weak to ground.
21 Water
Offensively, it isn't particularly great. Defensively however, it is only weak to grass and electric, and resists four types including ice.
22 Fighting Ground
23 Ice Fairy
24 Ghost Ground
25 Ground Ice
26 Psychic Ice
27 Fighting
28 Water Steel
29 Water Ghost
30 Ghost Dragon
31 Fire Fighting
32 Ghost Flying
33 Water Fighting
34 Water Fairy
35 Water Flying
36 Water Bug
37 Fairy
38 Water Ice
39 Electric Fighting
40 Steel
41 Ground
42 Fighting Psychic
43 Electric Fairy
44 Fighting Poison
45 Fire Fairy
46 Fire Grass
47 Grass Water
48 Water Psychic
49 Normal Steel
50 Normal Fighting
51 Normal Fairy
52 Electric Ghost
53 FIghting Fairy
54 Bug Fighting
55 Bug Ground
56 Fire Dragon
57 Psychic Ground
58 Flying Fighting
59 Ground Dragon
60 Ghost Poison
61 Dark Fairy
62 Psychic Fairy
63 Psychic
64 Normal Psychic
65 Psychic Dark
66 Steel Ground
67 Steel Poison
68 Electric Bug
69 Normal Bug
70 Bug Fairy
71 Bug Rock
72 Flying Fairy
73 Flying Poison
74 Poison Fairy
75 Psychic Poison
76 Psychic Steel
77 Normal Poison
78 Psychic Dragon
79 Fighting Dark
80 Fighting Dragon
81 Ground Poison
82 Fighting Rock
83 Fighting Ice
84 Steel Dragon
85 Psychic Rock
86 Rock Fairy
87 Dragon Fairy
88 Dragon
89 Poison Dark
90 Dark
91 Ground Dark
92 Normal Ground
93 Water Electric
94 Water Normal
95 Electric Psychic
96 Electric
97 Poison
98 Flying Psychic
99 Flying Rock
100 Flying Dark
101 Electric Flying
102 Flying
103 Steel Ice
104 Electric Steel
105 Ice Dragon
106 Ice Poison
107 Electric Ground
108 Ghost Psychic
109 Fire Ghost
110 Fire Electric
111 Steel Rock
112 Ghost Rock
113 Bug Rock
114 Fire Psychic
115 Fire
116 Normal Flying
117 Electric Ice
118 Bug Dragon
119 Bug Poison
120 Bug Psychic
121 Bug Dark
122 Bug
123 Normal
124 Water Dark
125 Flying Dragon
126 Grass Ghost
127 Grass Poison
128 Grass Electric
129 Ice, Dark
130 Rock Poison
131 Fire Poison
132 Electric Poison
133 Normal Dragon
134 Normal Electric
135 Fire Dark
136 Fire Normal
137 Dark Dragon
138 Ice
139 Rock Ice
140 Grass Ground
141 Grass Fighting
142 Grass Rock
143 Electric Dragon
144 Electric Dark
145 Grass Normal
146 Normal Ice
147 Normal Dark
148 Rock
149 Poison Dragon
150 Rock Dark
151 Fire Rock
152 Steel Dark
153 Grass Ice
154 Electric Rock
155 Grass Fairy
156 Water Rock
157 Normal Rock
158 Grass Dragon
159 Grass Dark
160 Rock Ground
161 Grass
162 Flying Ice
163 Fire Ice
164 Rock Dragon
165 Bug Ice
166 Grass Flying
167 Bug Flying
168 Fire Flying
169 Fire Bug
170 Grass Psychic
171 Grass Bug

Do you agree with my rankings?
I'll be updating them with information regarding their places, and update the rankings if I change my opinion, or if someone makes a good argument on why I am wrong.
All things considered, Psychic/Steel being at #76 is criminally underrated in my opinion. It draws many comparisons to Fairy/Steel, sharing the same weaknesses and having slightly better offenses.

However, I’m not talking about modern day Psychic/Steel. I’m talking about pre-nerf Psychic/Steel. I’ve always been interested in seeing if there are any type combinations that are strictly better than others, and back before Steel lost its resistances to Ghost and Dark, the ability to be a Psychic-Type with none of that type’s downsides on defense was absolutely incredible. Quite literally the only nerf a pure Psychic-Type gains from gaining a half-Steel typing would be that their Fighting resistance now becomes neutral damage. However, even this can be seen as a buff since that Steel-Type is no longer weak to Fighting if it stayed pure Steel.

Wall breakers are less useful than sweepers and walls? Yeah, that's why dracovish got banned last gen and annihilape this gen. The only reason crawdaunt and mamoswine don't see usage in OU is because they aren't in gen 9. If they were, they would almost certainly see at least niche level usage like they did in previous gens. Also fire/flying types definitely do have the tools to take advantage of their typing. Moltres has fire blast and hurricane, both of which are high base power moves, to take advantage of its offensive potential and its typing enables to run bulkier support sets like it could run last gen.
your talking to the guy that belives chi-yu shouldve stayed in ou because you could just outspeed it.
also, those were just two pokemon. heres the pokemon that are listed as ubers:
mega alakazam, sweeper
anihilape, wallbreaker/bulky sweeper win condition
arceus, yes
mega blastoise, wallbreaker/sweeper win condition
mega blaziken, sweeper win condition
Ice calyrex, trick room menace
chien pao, sweeper
chi-yu, wallbreaker
Darkrai, sweeper/sleep
darmanitan, sweeper/wallbreaker
Deoxys, sweeper/lead
dialga, wallbreaker
dracovish, scarfer/wallbreaker
espartha, sweeper win condition
eternatus, sweeper
genesect, sweeper
giritina, utility and wall/wall
groudon, bulky sweeper/hazard
ho-oh, utility wall
houndstone, sweeper win condition
iron bundle, sweeper
mega kangaskahn, that jackass
koraidon, sweeper
kyogre, scarfer/wallbreaker
kyurem, wallbreaker
landorus, sweeper
lucario, sweeper
lugia, wall
lunala, wallbreaker
magearna, the bane of xerneas's existance
marshadow, sweeper
melmetal, bulky sweeper
mega metagross, sweeper
mewtwo, sweeper
naganadel, sweeper
necrozma, sweeper win condition/wall/wallbreaker/hazard
palafin, bulky sweeper
palkia, wallbreaker
phermosa, sweeper
rayquaza, sweeper
regileki, speed
reshiram, wallbreaker
roaring moon, sweeper
mega salamance, sweeper
shaymin, sweeper
solgaleo, sweeper/wallbreaker
spectrier, sweeper
urshifu, wallbreaker
walking wake, sweeper
xerneas, sweeper win condition
yveltal, wallbreaker/sweeper/utility
zacien, sweeper
zamazenta, wall/sweeper
zekrom, sweeper win condition
zygarde, wall/bulky sweeper win condition
i am making some assumptions, because i dont see half of these in ubers, but this gives you the general idea of what is considered overpowered.

I wont update this for a while. i now have a tool i didnt have before, and will rerank all of the types. see you in a few decades.
Edit: things are actally progressing suprisingly fast. i might get the new list draft done in a few days.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)