Doubles UU

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.

Trick Room takes a bit of a hit with the loss of Porygon2, now making Hoopa even better at shutting it down (Fake Out immune Ghost-type attacker w/ Hyperspace Hole to hit Hariyama). I'm glad to see this thing gone, because although it can't deal damage it basically guaranteed Trick Room would be set.

Thankfully Landorus moved up, imo it was a bit much for the tier to handle. It 2HKOd pretty much everything that wasn't immune to Ground, and on top of that it had fantastic coverage allowing it to hit a lot of the tier for heavy damage.

Victini will fill the hole left by Landorus as the one-stop check to Steels, and also can be used as a shitty TR setter I guess. A top tier threat for sure.

Welcome back to Mew, who now made Char-X even better. It brings a nifty supportive movepool, including fast Fake Out, ilTransform, Tailwind, etc. Char-X "bunnies" style teams will absolutely dominate the ladder, although they won't be legal in tournaments (thank god).

The other drops/rises are pretty insignificant :pimp:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Volcarona ban when?!?!?!??!!?!? I love the fire moth but this thing is so OP, with the right support it can even power through Trick Room teams (I don't think TR teams are the best in general but the drops could change things), along with destroying any other team pretty easily a lot of the time.
With Lando gone this thing gets even better
Worthy of suspect imo

Mew will make things interesting as corrupted pointed out the cool moves it has

Victini is definitely good hfor DUU. There is a lack of decent fire types which has me using typhlosion, it's not too bad btw

why do you say that?
He means the combo of zardx+mew won't be legal in tournaments. On that note, completely agree with Yoda on BAN VOLCARNO.

Victini definitely provides a great new setter in DUU that doesn't get bopped/set up on by volcarona. Scarf victini could be pretty fun too, outspeeds gene and has a great final gambit with how little priority there is in DUU.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Victini is actually a solid check to Volcarona with V-create & TR (or with a Scarf set). Probably moreso than Landorus, which dies to a +1 LO Heat Wave. However, Ninetales does make Volcarona, and a lot of other Fire-types, hell of a lot powerful. Sun may actually be a legit playstyle in UU now. Victini, Volcarona, Rotom-H, Darmanitan/Arcanine/Entei, Mega Houndoom, Mega Blaziken, in addition to chlorophyll mons hmm :d. Flash Fire Arcanine may actually be a thing now.

RIP Abomasnow ;-;

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Volc is stupid as hell and if SOMEONE would let us SUSPECT stuff that should be first on the list (we should just leave Zard x quick banned I mean without Lando here it's just... Lol)

Y'all are sleeping on mega abomasnow though I mean with good support this thing is a monster

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
here are some changes to the viability rankings that i made. agree with them, disagree with them, nominate new ones, the usual shtick. the rankings can always be changed.
Diancie: 1.5 -> 1
it was good before, but being one of the strongest rock types helps a lot right now against the likes of victini and volcarona

Mew: 1.5
decent support and offense movepool, also with good speed. very versatile but latias might still be better with its better typing

Victini: 1
strong fire type that also has the capacity to beat other fire types. also very versatile as it could probably be used with either scarf or trick room

Ninetales: 2
helps support other fire types, but is a weak fire type itself and not very splashable

Houndoom (Mega): 3 -> 2
ninetales

Escavalier: 1.5 -> 2
cant reliably beat fire types at all. doesnt really have much merit anymore, not for tier 1.5 at least

Volcarona: 1.5 -> 1
really hard to stop once it sets up and forms a scary core with tangela. maybe if u losers used fletchinder it wouldnt be this broken

Abomasnow (Mega): 1 -> 1.5
its ability to be threatening is mitigated a lot by fire types now, but lets be real here, there arent going to be numerous fire types on a team unless its sun. that being said, abomasnow can still be a strong threat if used well and with apt team support.

Salamence: 2 -> 1.5
strong dragon type that can threaten victini and volcarona to an extent, good coverage such as hydro pump or maybe even rock slide

Krookodile: 3 -> 2.5
not bad enough to be 3 anymore, its sort of like a mini-landorus-t and can be used to threaten fire types

Klefki: 1.5 -> 2
now that its guaranteed that every team will have some strong fire type, klefki probably wont be able to stay on the field long enough to support the team well

we need new sample teams! im deleting the old ones. post any team that u think is good in the current metagame and ill consider putting it in the post

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sky Drop
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Follow Me
- Roar
- Protect

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Feint

Hoopa @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
Modest Nature
- Hyperspace Hole
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Protect

I made this team a few months ago but recently revised it. I centered the team around Volcarona, with my main goal in mind being to set up a Quiver Dance and sweep. After Volc I wanted a fast, strong Mega that could also support the team. I considered using Lopunny for its fast Fake Out at first, but I decided to use Aerodactyl instead. Sky Drop allows you to disable an opposing Pokemon for one turn, allowing you to set up a QD right off the bat. Wide Guard also lets you block annoying spread moves like Rock Slide which Blastoise cannot redirect with Follow Me. I added Blastoise next. Follow Me lets Volcarona fire off +1 Heat Waves and not have to worry about getting KOd. Roar also gives me another check to TR. Now I wanted something to synergize with Blastoise. Virizion fit the bill perfectly, letting me KO the Water-types that annoy Volcarona and block Fake Outs that could delay Volcarona from setting up. At this point the team was pretty weak to TR since I had so many fast attackers, so I added Hoopa and Hitmontop pretty much simultaneously. Hoopa OHKOs most of the Psychic- and Ghost-type TR setters and also can be used along side Blastoise to sweep with a Calm Mind boost. Hitmontop provides great support with Fake Out, Wide Guard, and Feint, all of which benefit Volcarona and allow it to set up with ease. The two combined check Trick Room teams quite well.

I don't have any significant achievements with this team since I don't have the time to wait 15 minutes for a battle on the ladder then get six points for winning, but the team is quite good and easy to use so try it out!

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
These VR need a massive overhaul, overrating many things, and having a lot of good mons and megas not even on there.
Care to give some examples? Like I said, the rankings can always be changed and nominations can always be made.

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
UR --> 1.5
How isn't this on the VR lol. At +1 it outspeeds p much everything except stupidly fast stuff like positive natured Mega Sceptile and above, and it OHKOs both Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny before they can even move. It has nice coverage and hits decently hard, definitely worthy of tier 1.5 or tier 2 at the least.

1 --> 1.5
I love Latias, but the telekinetic jet plane really hasn't appreciated the last few drops. Poor coverage combined with mediocre attacking stats before a CM boost makes it dead weight often and constricts teambuilding, since you have to run partners that can beat Steel-types and Dark- / Fairy-types (depending on the coverage move you're running). It also straight up loses to Metagross, one of the best megas rn. Most of the time it's not worth the mega slot.

1.5 --> 2.5
This thing is a hot pile of garbage. P much zero offense presence + mediocre defenses make it an unreliable TR setter. It's biggest niche is Aroma Veil, which can be used on literally any other setter by giving it a Mental Herb.

UR --> 1.5
I didn't realize how good this mon was until n10sit enlightened me. It has a deep supportive movepool including Fake Out, Encore, Taunt, Thunder Wave, and Fake Tears. It also can hit a handful of mons hard with Foul Play. A fun thing I've been trying out is Fake Tears Liepard + Hyper Voice Altaria, which dunks a ton of mons that you otherwise couldn't.

3 --> 2
Come on this thing isn't that bad. Although it's basically a worse Liepard, Quash is nifty and WoW lets you neuter physical attackers. It also has a slightly better defensive typing I guess.

UR --> 2
Hits decently hard, has access to Quick Guard to shut down Liepard, but loses to 7/9 current tier 1 mons. It's decent but not great, worthy of tier 2 imo.

+
UR --> 2.5
Who doesn't like redirection? They aren't quite as splashable as the tier 2 mons, so I'd bump both to tier 2.5. Paired with Mew and a setup sweeper they can form a pretty formidable "bunnies" core.
1 --> X
The viability rankings should have some ranking to show Pokemon that have been banned from tournament play. It could be named "Tier 0", like in the BW viability rankings or simply "Tier X". I know clius mentioned that after his DUU tournament a council would be formed to ban other OP stuff, so other mons may be joining Zard X soon (*cough* Volcarona *cough*).

Last edited:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think a few of us are gonna get together and just totally overhaul the VR after DPL or after clius' tour. As you pointed out there are a lot of Pokemon that aren't even on there that are very good, so it definitely needs redoing.

While waiting for a viability revamp, and since new people will be playing in Clius's tour, heres a new, fairly straight forward sample team.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect

Blastoise @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn
- Protect

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

Sneasel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Protect

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Atk / 160 SpD
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Snarl
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

This team was built a few nights ago since I have not built a team around Metagross, which is an incredibly strong threat, and it has been doing me well. Substitute + Dual Stabs is a good win con and can hit most of the current meta really hard. After that I wanted something that could take on Fire's pretty well while giving Metagross chances to set up a sub so I chose Blastoise. Scald is for burns while Icy Wind can take off opponents speed boosts making things such as Volcarona, Charizard-X, and Darkrai easier to beat. Afterwards, I wanted a secondary Fire and Electric checks, so I went with Rhydon as it is far bulkier than Rhyperior (It walls Victini!) and I wanted to take special hits a little better, despite the loss of power. I needed a Grass / Water check afterward so I went with Shaymin. Seed Flare is a powerful STAB and Air Slash hits Fighting-types better while causing flinches. Tailwind is another form of Speed Control to make my somewhat slow team be faster. Next I was looking for a fake outer that didn't lose to Grasses, Dragons, or Ghosts, so I went with a very underrated threat, Sneasel. 115 is a very good speed tier to hit, as it out speeds things like Latias, Victini, and Tornadus. I finally came to the conclusion that Intimidate is good, and a fire is good so I went with Arcanine as my final pokemon. I noticed that I was dangerously weak to Giga Drain Volcarona so I added the 100 Attack EV's, as 100 Attack ensures that Flare Blitz + Extreme Speed kills non Sitrus Volc 100% of the time while I put the rest of the EV's into Special Defense.

so ive been bothering xzern about this buttttt volcarona shouldnt be tier 1. tier 1.5 is way more fair for a mon who loses to 7/8 of other tier 1 mons, not to mention the fuckin monsoon of support this thing needs to set up. even if it doe might be threatening once sets up, its shitty typing and physical bulk make it so that its really weak to tailwind, trickroom, maero, and opposing fire types, which are all really common. also its weak to rocks

kinda rushed for time rn but what has xzern done to this vr while i was gone

e: just because youre revamping the vr doesnt mean the current one should look like its from 1943, at least update some basic stuff like zardx

sooo zard x is completely broken and wins game by itself. if even I can win with it it must be quick banned.

http://pastebin.com/EhZfLf3k

Zard X + Tangela because it wins game. Hariyama + Mew for Fake Out support + the ability to transform late game. Jellicent acts as a TR/Rain check and I threw on Genescet because it provides speed w/ scarf and take care of Diancie which is one of the "checks" to zard x.

idk where to post this so just correct me if im wrong

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Yeah a lot of people who play the tier strongly agree zard x is broken, which is why it was banned over DPL and probably will be for an upcoming DUU tour. It was broken already, but with Mew around it gets even better, as CorruptedOmega7 has previously pointed out.

And for the first time in it's history, there is now a bl in doubles (dbl?)

Anyways, while the hot new VR looks good, there are a few things that could be changed, particularly with that very large tier 1.5

Arcanine Tier 1.5 -> 1: This is definitely one of the best fires, if not a staple on most teams since it can provide Intimidate support to hamper Genesect, Hariyama, Victini, Metagross and more! It also has a myriad of options it can run, such as Flare Blitz, Heat Wave, or Overheat for stab. Wild Charge, Iron Head, CC for coverage. WoW, Snarl, and Morning Sun to be a general wall, and Extremespeed is good priority. It can also run items such as Sitrus, Goggles, and LO to perform different roles. All in all, a great mon.

Aerodactyl-Mega Tier 1.5 -> 1: With the fires here, it was great, but now it has a great match-up against 4 of the 5 tier 1's with a lack of competition from Char-X for a mega slot. Plus Skill Slide and Sky Drop among other utility options.

Virizion Tier 4 -> 3 (or 2.5): This thing is much better than the other things in 4 lol. Quick Guard has nice utility and the best flyer is Aero which can't switch into it at all. Dual stab combo hits Diancie and most of the Tier 2's among other things.

Diancie Tier 1 -> 1.5: The two things that Diancie checked the best are gone, and with it comes an Influx of Grasses and Steels that all come in for free and obliterate it, or set up on it, or sleep it. Either way it is no longer good enough to be in Tier 1 with things like Gene and Victini.

Mew Tier 1.5 -> 2: While transforming is cool, the two best set-up sweepers are gone and its role is no longer nearly as valuable as it was before. Its got a good movepool, but it is set up fodder for pretty much everything.

Hoopa Tier 1.5 -> 2 (or lower): Hoopa has a cool stab combo, and while Hyperspace is cool for its ability to break through protects, it has trouble actually being able to use it in most scenarios. It has the physical bulk of a wet paper bag, and being immune to fake out does it few favors when Hariyama can just knock off it. Beside's that fake out immunity, I see no reason it should ever be used over Deo-A, Latias, or even Reuniclus when it comes to hitting things.

VR colors tier Yes -> no: Rainbow is good, and the rankings currently have 2 shades of blue and 3 of green.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor

Diancie @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Trick Room
- Protect

Hoopa @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

Made this quick offensive FullTR team, mostly keeping opposing semiroom setters in mind (cofag, jelly, etc) and crobat/Hari/Lop as potential threats to a set. Mostly I think FullTR is hella strong because all the really hard hitters/spread attackers (sylveon?) are just gone so you don't have to worry about big damage dealers messing your day up as much (esp with LandoI gone)

Diancie @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Victini @ Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Trick Room
- Protect

Hoopa @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

Made this quick offensive FullTR team, mostly keeping opposing semiroom setters in mind (cofag, jelly, etc) and crobat/Hari/Lop as potential threats to a set. Mostly I think FullTR is hella strong because all the really hard hitters/spread attackers (sylveon?) are just gone so you don't have to worry about big damage dealers messing your day up as much (esp with LandoI gone)
Classic checkmater life orbs lol
Team seems slightly weak to tangela, I'd probably at least goggle one of your checks. I'd also speed creep the Hariyama just to ensure that you can out speed normal Diancies and ohko outside of trick room. (Also your fake out will be faster than other hariyamas)
Crawdaunt also seems too frail to not sash but to each his own haha.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Goggles the Victini, make Crawdaunt Adaptability lol I hope that was just a typo, and give Hariyama Toxic Orb > Flame Orb because it will almost never be on the field for more than 3 consecutive turns. Other than that, seems pretty solid imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)